Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DS stylus: system one or 3rd party - what are you using?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Go into any department store and you will find many, many stylus for your DS.  But do you actually use them?  Or do you just collect them?

I have been tempted to buy the Star Wars light sabre ones, but that is just the geek in me, trying t take control.  Some of the ones out of Japan have been pretty cool, when game series related.

I do actually have one, but it is only used by my partner.  It is a pen sized one, attached to the DS Phat.  When she plays Chibi Robo or Animal Crossing, she uses that because she has hereditary arthritis and finds it much easier to use.  Me, I have girly hands, so I can just use my finger :P

So what are you using?

No Caption Provided

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ZenaxPure

I have a launch DS fat and I am still using the extra stylus that came with it. I lost the original stylus in my backyard near a picnic table. I swear I will go out and find the thing someday though!

I really would like a new one that is all fancy and stuff but never really seen any around. That Ace Attorney one from a long time ago looked awesome for pure laughs.
    Marzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Marzy

I'm just using the same one that came with both my DS systems (DS Phat and DS Lite). I'm tempted to get a larger styled one though, I love those Animal Crossing ones.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

I have a Mario one like those pictiured above, I paid 10 pounds for it as it's quite rare. I have rarely used it, but it is a nice collectors piece.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By toowalrus

I use the one that came in the box. Though I don't play it very much anyway.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ

I got a Ninja Gaiden stylus from the company that organized my Japan trip, but i dont really use it. I just use the one that comes in the slot.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

I have the ones that look like Star wars light sabers. I just couldn't pass those up.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By erinfizz

I still have one of the originals that came with the DS. I am pretty shocked that I have kept track of the thing for 3 years now.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By fishinwithguns

My friend got the lightsaber pack and gave me the red one.  It just sucks that they won't fit in the slot...for me that kinda ruins it.

I'd really like one of those metal retractable ones, although I don't think I'd ever need to extend it really.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

I just use the one that comes with the system.  I do have a cool extendable one that came with my pre-order of Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool

I am actually surprised that I have never lost a stylus as well.  They do get lost occasionally, but they usually turn up in the corners of the furniture.  I did buy some coloured replacement ones, mainly because the originals were getting loose, and slipping out more frequently.

The fact that all the fancy ones won't fit in the original slot is a valid issue.  It is inconvenient.  Attaching them with a lead is the only viable option, if possible, but it isn't a great look.
    kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kennybaese

I've always used Nintendo ones. Well, back when I had a launch DS I had a couple third party ones and they scratched the hell out of the screens, so I switched to the official ones and I've stuck with them since.

I do have a set of the lightsaber styluses that came out around The Force Unleashed and use those as they're official. Otherwise I just use the one that came with the system.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#14  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I had a couple of retractable styluses from Hori, but two weeks straight of Elite Beat Agents quickly snapped them in half.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks
    I have those Hori ones also. 

They are very prone to snapping, it's that transparent part that makes them too weak I reckon.

No Caption Provided

It wasn't wise to use them on a game like EBA, but I guess you thought you could use them like drumsticks, I know I did  :) I tried using them on Taiko Drum Master, but soon realised that was a bad idea when one started to bend.

Mjolnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Mjolnir

I'm using my DS' default stylus, with about 2 others for backup. Although, I'm tempted to look for some cooler ones after seeing Brad's in the DSi unboxing video.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    Linkyshinks said:
    "It wasn't wise to use them on a game like EBA, but I guess you thought you could use them like drumsticks, I know I did  :) I tried using them on Taiko Drum Master, but soon realised that was a bad idea when one started to bend."
    I think it's more related to the way I held them. I hold my pens like the picture on the left, as opposed to the picture on the right.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I use those metal retractables ones, but I used the original ones for a long time.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    Ossi said:
    "Here's what I usually use. Most of my other stylus are just extra or backup ones, same as the ones in this image.

From left to right, DS Lite, Gold Plated, Master Sword, DSi."
    Where'd you get the Master Sword one?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Sleepy_Insomniac said:
    "Linkyshinks said:
    "It wasn't wise to use them on a game like EBA, but I guess you thought you could use them like drumsticks, I know I did  :) I tried using them on Taiko Drum Master, but soon realised that was a bad idea when one started to bend."
    I think it's more related to the way I held them. I hold my pens like the picture on the left, as opposed to the picture on the right.
    "

Ahh , well if you hold em like a five year old ;),  they are bound to break.  The clear plastic section on both of mine were split when I got them, I think that must of happened when they were assembled. Hori normally make good quality products, but these stylus are not, they are too flimsy.

Nice Master Sword stylus Ossi.

*off to play his DSi*

j0rdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By j0rdan

I have a premium DS Stylus,  a heavy metal one,  its very good, I highly recomend it.

No Caption Provided

This is the version I have

Unfortunatly They no longer sell it.

No Caption Provided

And here is one for the DS Lite

It not cheap though, $16
    But I promise you, its worth it.

Im guessing they will have a DSi version out in a few months.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By c1337us
    AgentJ said:
    "I got a Ninja Gaiden stylus from the company that organized my Japan trip, but i dont really use it. I just use the one that comes in the slot."
    I wanted one of those. I remember they were giving them away with the Ninja Gaiden game went it first came out but I didnt get one. But at the moment I just use the one the system came with.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm currently using a metallic stylus I got from GAME, but I'm happy enough to use the one that came with the DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.