Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

DSi XL Australian $350

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By shirogane

So, while i was at EBgames purchasing Forza 3 Limited Edition, i noticed that there was a price on the DSi XL for 149 i think it was, if you traded in your old DSi. 
    Decided to ask how much the XL was, and behold, we have our price. $350.

$50 more than a DSi, <$50 from the price of a Wii. This is madness! 

Looks like i'll be getting a lite after all...to enjoy all those DS games i've missed out on in the last year.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's 20 Pounds more than a DSi in the UK.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

...350?!  Good lord, it's only like 189 here, 20 or 30 more than a DSi.  Edit:  In America that is.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Ace829

Being a gamer in Australia must suck. 

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By DCFGS3

Yep, we get screwed over so much. And then they claim that digital media is ruining their business.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yukoei

I don't see the problem, its only $50 more than the DSi.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shirogane
    @Yukoei said:
    "I don't see the problem, its only $50 more than the DSi. "

The problem is that the DSi  itself is pretty expensive. I can get a lite for less than half that price. That's my problem anyway... 
    That and, from certainplaces, a Wii is now cheaper than an XL.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @Shirogane said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    "I don't see the problem, its only $50 more than the DSi. "
    The problem is that the DSi  itself is pretty expensive. I can get a lite for less than half that price. That's my problem anyway... That and, from certainplaces, a Wii is now cheaper than an XL. "
    It is what I expected it to be and yes, for a handheld, that is a steep price.  For you Americans reading, after currency exchange, that makes it $315 USD, and I am guessing that is a whole lot more than you pay.  With current promotional pricing, it is more expensive than the Wii and twice the price of the DS Lite.  At least it is $100 cheaper than the PSP Go if that is any consolation (it isn't). 

That being said, I am getting one, but I may wait for my birthday in August to justify the spend.  I really want to play on the bigger screen.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shirogane
    @oldschool:
    Yeah, i REALLY want to play on the bigger screen too, i'll even willingly carry the thing around. I already do so wtih my psp, and more recently, my laptop. This won't add much. 
    But that price just for a bigger screen doesn't seem justified...take 100 off and i'll consider it.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @Shirogane said:
    " @oldschool: Yeah, i REALLY want to play on the bigger screen too, i'll even willingly carry the thing around. I already do so wtih my psp, and more recently, my laptop. This won't add much. But that price just for a bigger screen doesn't seem justified...take 100 off and i'll consider it. "
    $250 is what it should be, I agree.  The Lite should be $150, DSI $200 and XL $250, but we are all victims of the success of the console.  By this time in the life cycle of a product it should be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is, but with it selling so many, then Nintendo have no financial and economic imperative to do so.  Why would they?  I really struggled to pay $300 for the DSi and even though I don't actually need "permission" to buy an XL, my marriage is based on mutual decisions and I find it hard to sell the reasons why I need another DS, to go with my other 5 other than (with a whiny Cartman voice) "but it has a bigger screen"  :-)
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shirogane
    @oldschool said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    " @oldschool: Yeah, i REALLY want to play on the bigger screen too, i'll even willingly carry the thing around. I already do so wtih my psp, and more recently, my laptop. This won't add much. But that price just for a bigger screen doesn't seem justified...take 100 off and i'll consider it. "
    $250 is what it should be, I agree.  The Lite should be $150, DSI $200 and XL $250, but we are all victims of the success of the console.  By this time in the life cycle of a product it should be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is, but with it selling so many, then Nintendo have no financial and economic imperative to do so.  Why would they?  I really struggled to pay $300 for the DSi and even though I don't actually need "permission" to buy an XL, my marriage is based on mutual decisions and I find it hard to sell the reasons why I need another DS, to go with my other 5 other than (with a whiny Cartman voice) "but it has a bigger screen"  :-) "

Well, it does have a bigger screen, but more importantly...it comes in burgandy! Burgandy damnit! That should be reason enough! 

I don't need 'permission' either..it just means i don't eat for a month to make up for the extra expenses.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I agree, 350 is too much for what it offers. Tried to find a used DS lite today for a good 230 cheaper but apparently there are none in Melbourne at the moment (no doubt thanks to Pokemon).

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By halberdierv2

wow, prolly costs about $650 back home, which is about $320 US.

gustavog117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gustavog117

Thats whack, it's only like $30 more than a DSi in the states, and about $70 more than a DS Lite. Thats pretty dumb.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
    @gustavog117 said:
    " Thats whack, it's only like $30 more than a DSi in the states, and about $70 more than a DS Lite. Thats pretty dumb. "
    No, it is gaming in Australia.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us

Eh I am going to hang on for the next proper console at this point.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bones8677
    @oldschool said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    $250 is what it should be, I agree.  The Lite should be $150, DSI $200 and XL $250, but we are all victims of the success of the console.  By this time in the life cycle of a product it should be a hell of a lot cheaper than it is, but with it selling so many, then Nintendo have no financial and economic imperative to do so.  Why would they?  I really struggled to pay $300 for the DSi and even though I don't actually need "permission" to buy an XL, my marriage is based on mutual decisions and I find it hard to sell the reasons why I need another DS, to go with my other 5 other than (with a whiny Cartman voice) "but it has a bigger screen"  :-) "
    Well I'm glad someone is putting their foot down on you. >.>

hehe......

heh.....

*runs and hides under bed*
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @Bones8677 said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Shirogane said:
    Well I'm glad someone is putting their foot down on you. >.>    hehe......    heh.....    *runs and hides under bed* "
    You have no idea how the bad the silent treatment is until you get the "married silent treatment"  :-) 
    Sometimes getting what you want isn't always a good thing.  I bought $500 worth of games in February, so I need to lay low for a while  :/
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bones8677

Oh go talk to your kids if the wife won't talk to you. ^.^

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By shirogane
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    "I agree, 350 is too much for what it offers. Tried to find a used DS lite today for a good 230 cheaper but apparently there are none in Melbourne at the moment (no doubt thanks to Pokemon). "

Oh yes, preowned DS lites have been  hard to come by for ages now. Way before pokemon. Funny, considering at the start of the year or something Melbourne Central EBgames had 10+ just sitting there. Any colour you could possibly want.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yukoei
    nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By nick_verissimo

Man, that just totally bummed me out.  I am never going to complain about game pricing or availability ever again.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By oldschool
    @Yukoei said:
    " http://www.ebgames.com.au/ds-999148-DSi-XL-Burgundy--FREE-game-Nintendo-DS      New price, $300 with Carnival Games. "
    Well, that is a lot better  Saved $50 right there.  However, if they are giving away a free game, I may then wait for a decent game to be offered by someone - Carnival Games, no thanks, not even for free.  I got GTA:CW with my DSi and I expect a quality game with it.
    Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Systech

Reminiscent of the PSPGo compared to current PS3 pricing.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Yukoei
    @oldschool said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " http://www.ebgames.com.au/ds-999148-DSi-XL-Burgundy--FREE-game-Nintendo-DS      New price, $300 with Carnival Games. "
    Well, that is a lot better  Saved $50 right there.  However, if they are giving away a free game, I may then wait for a decent game to be offered by someone - Carnival Games, no thanks, not even for free.  I got GTA:CW with my DSi and I expect a quality game with it. "
    You could always trade in/sell the free game to get a new one. That's what I'm doing.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shirogane
    @Yukoei said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    Well, that is a lot better  Saved $50 right there.  However, if they are giving away a free game, I may then wait for a decent game to be offered by someone - Carnival Games, no thanks, not even for free.  I got GTA:CW with my DSi and I expect a quality game with it. "
    You could always trade in/sell the free game to get a new one. That's what I'm doing. "

Carnival Games? I don't think that's worth much...if anything. 
    http://www.game.com.au/dsi-xl-burgundy-console/nintendo-ds/71891 
    This seems to be a much better price. 
    Might be worth it after all eh?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldschool
    @Shirogane said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    You could always trade in/sell the free game to get a new one. That's what I'm doing. "

Carnival Games? I don't think that's worth much...if anything. 
    http://www.game.com.au/dsi-xl-burgundy-console/nintendo-ds/71891 This seems to be a much better price. Might be worth it after all eh? "
    That bodes well for what prices may be on offer at launch with Target or KMart.  I think I will wait and see who is offering the best deal at that time.  $270 is somewhat different to or $350 conversation.  Oh and you are right, Carnival Games is totally worthless.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shirogane

I'd almost go as far to say Carnival Games is detrimental to own... 

$270 is very different from our 350 conversation. Almost an acceptable price really. But i'm still too poor to afford one... 
    Maybe i'll wait a while and see...
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oldschool
    @Shirogane said:
    " I'd almost go as far to say Carnival Games is detrimental to own...  $270 is very different from our 350 conversation. Almost an acceptable price really. But i'm still too poor to afford one... Maybe i'll wait a while and see... "
    I wouldn't even know anyone I dislike enough to give Carnival Games to. 

Thanks for the link to Game.  I had no idea they did online sales like that and there are a few decent specials to be had.  My nearest Game is 300km away,
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shirogane
    @oldschool:
    Free shipping too. 
    Most of the time online price at GAME are slightly cheaper. Or they rotate them or something. 
    But a lot of new stuff and preorders get this online discount too, which is nice. Not that i've ever ordered anything from them... 
    There's a GAME somewhat near me, but it's a hassle to get to. Whereas i have to go past 4+ EBgames everyday.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By oldschool
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    Good price but I will trade in that free game. "
    The trade in value will be really bad.  I mean REALLY bad.  It won't be worth considering as part of the purchase.  EB are rarely good, just look out at JB, KMart and Target and see what they are up to on release date.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @oldschool said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Yukoei said:
    Good price but I will trade in that free game. "
    The trade in value will be really bad.  I mean REALLY bad.  It won't be worth considering as part of the purchase.  EB are rarely good, just look out at JB, KMart and Target and see what they are up to on release date. "
    True, Ill check it them out.
    Avatar image for harvey_the_pooka
    harvey_the_pooka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By harvey_the_pooka

I got mine today (XL) was €15 more than the DSi so I figured that´s a good deal. Also got Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow for €10...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MikkaQ

Man... gaming in the commonwealth sounds like shit (outside Canada). It's too bad too, because the XL is class A awesome. I actually upgraded from the fat old original DS, and after getting used to the screen size, I picked up my old DS to (urgh embarrassing) trade pokemon with myself, and I actually laughed at how small that screen was. Looked like a goddamn keychain game in comparison. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oldschool
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Man... gaming in the commonwealth sounds like shit (outside Canada). It's too bad too, because the XL is class A awesome. I actually upgraded from the fat old original DS, and after getting used to the screen size, I picked up my old DS to (urgh embarrassing) trade pokemon with myself, and I actually laughed at how small that screen was. Looked like a goddamn keychain game in comparison.  "
    Canada is only good because of proximity to America.  I only mean that in game availability and price.  Other than, Canada is better in every conceivable way  :/ 

I imagine that anyone that plays an XL for a while will get that feeling.  I feel the same way about my DSi and it isn't that much bigger.  There is the opposite with the Gameboy Micro though - it feels awesome because it is so small.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.