Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Layton or Chinatown Wars; can't decide

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By choffy21

I really can't choose between these two games. I know Professor Layton is a game I would love since I absolutely love brain teasers, but Chinatown Wars seems like a great game as well. Can anyone who's played both games give me a brief overview of which game they liked more and why? If so, that'd be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh, and for Layton, does it matter if I play the The Diabolical Box first or should I play The Curios Village?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By oldschool

Personal view - go Layton and get the first and eventually the 2nd.  Unless you really like GTA.  GTA is good, but Layton is class gaming.  I have both.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThomasP

I haven't played China Town Wars, but I can safely say Professor Layton and the Curious Village is an excellent game and well worth your money. Read Jeff's review; it's one of my personal favorites.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Romination
    @ThomasP said:
    " I haven't played China Town Wars, but I can safely say Professor Layton and the Curious Village is an excellent game and well worth your money. Read Jeff's review; it's one of my personal favorites. "
    Well, I HAVE played Chinatown Wars, and I can say for a fact that it is an excellent game and worth your money. It's different enough that even those who aren't fans of GTA can get a lot out of it, but it is still a GTA game at heart and will please fans of it. It's got highly varied missions, a surprisingly large area to explore and weirdly good use of the touch screen. The story's top notch and, since it's not part of the 'canonical' GTA series, it's balls-out insane and crazy.

And has a twist. Twists are fun. Unless they're titty twists...
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThomasP
    @Romination said:
    " @ThomasP said:
    " I haven't played China Town Wars, but I can safely say Professor Layton and the Curious Village is an excellent game and well worth your money. Read Jeff's review; it's one of my personal favorites. "
    Well, I HAVE played Chinatown Wars, and I can say for a fact that it is an excellent game and worth your money. It's different enough that even those who aren't fans of GTA can get a lot out of it, but it is still a GTA game at heart and will please fans of it. It's got highly varied missions, a surprisingly large area to explore and weirdly good use of the touch screen. The story's top notch and, since it's not part of the 'canonical' GTA series, it's balls-out insane and crazy.  And has a twist. Twists are fun. Unless they're titty twists... "
    BAAAAAM! 

We got that shit on lock down.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By AgentJ

Just to make this tough for you, I'm going to recommend Chinatown Wars. Both are well worthwhile purchases, however. 

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Binman88

Chinatown Wars has a very addictive drug selling aspect to it that I found really enjoyable; and being the only of those two games I've played, I recommend it.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By choffy21
    The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By The_Drizzle
    @oldschool said:
    " Personal view - go Layton and get the first and eventually the 2nd.  Unless you really like GTA.  GTA is good, but Layton is class gaming.  I have both. "
    Does layton contain puzzles that would piss someone off due to difficulty or are they challenging yet reasonable?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

Layton is bullshit because of that bullshit clock puzzle. Fuckin' bullshit.

Bullshit.

Sorry I just hate that puzzle because I have tried to get into that game like 3 times and that puzzle has single-handedly deterred me each and every time. I'm pretty sure it's not even a required puzzle. But right when you get into the town and you can see the clock tower, a mysterious force pulls me to that puzzle and I literally have not done one meaningful thing in the game because I always want to figure out the clock puzzle and end up quitting on it and saying, "fuck this game". It's really not even that hard of a puzzle, all I really need is a piece of paper and pencil and I could figure it out pretty quick but my pride forces me to do it all in my head and then screw up the answer. I think I actually figured it out one time and saved right after. But then I had to restart the game and I couldn't remember what the answer was for that puzzle again. So that's where I gave up the last time. Maybe I should try again. I just have to have the willpower to forget about that puzzle and move on to the ones that actually matter. What am I even talking about anymore? I think this is how I know I'm tired, I start ranting about things that really nobody but myself could care about. Anyways, since I have this wall of text going, lets talk about the Blazers. Damn dude, Greg Oden broke his damn knee cap. Aww it was so sick too because it was dislocated like 3 or 4 inches out of place. Out for the season... AGAIN! Will Greg ever live up to his #1 draft pick expectations? Will I ever end this nonsensical rant? Tune in next time to find out for yourself!!!

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By WickedCobra03
    @Binman88 said:
    " Chinatown Wars has a very addictive drug selling aspect to it that I found really enjoyable; and being the only of those two games I've played, I recommend it. "
    Yeah, I put a lot of time into that too.  it is not the selling drugs that is addictive, it is the high/low aspect of the meta game that is.  It was like DrugWars on your TI-calcs back in highschool.

Anyways, as for which game to pick up, like everyone has said, both are great.  Personally, I would go with both.
    JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By JazGalaxy
    @The_Drizzle said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " Personal view - go Layton and get the first and eventually the 2nd.  Unless you really like GTA.  GTA is good, but Layton is class gaming.  I have both. "
    Does layton contain puzzles that would piss someone off due to difficulty or are they challenging yet reasonable? "
    Layton features a lot of different types of puzzles and so it really depends on the player as to what frustrates them and what pisses them off. 

For example, I am a very visual person and so I love the visual puzzles. However I suck at math so the number puzzles piss me off. However numerology puzzles are what some people are into exclusively and they see visual puzzles as being annoying. 

The game is a really a blast and a must play for puzzle fans, though. Just be aware that the game is for people who like DOING puzzles... not for people who like being right. I think tah twill affect ones enjoyment as well.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I havent played Chinatown Wars yet, but I LOVED Layton to death. I played the first one and Im currently about halfway through the 2nd.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14  Edited By demontium
    @choffy21: Layton. Chinatown is pretty boring if you have GTAIV
    Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dark_Jon

Chinatown Wars, Layton sucks.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @choffy21 said:
    " Went with Layton "
    You couldn't lose no matter what.  Get back to us when you have played a bit and tell us if our opinions suck. 

@The_Drizzle said:
    " @oldschool said:
    Does layton contain puzzles that would piss someone off due to difficulty or are they challenging yet reasonable? "
    My 14 year old daughter has played more than me and she says, "challenging but reasonable".  You're smarter than a 14 year old girl right ^_^ 

@Dark_Jon said:
    " Chinatown Wars, Layton sucks. "
     Your avatar??? =======================  What the hell are you talking about  ^-^
    Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dark_Jon
    @oldschool:  Heh, I guess you didn't get the joke :P
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @Dark_Jon said:
    " @oldschool:  Heh, I guess you didn't get the joke :P "
    No, I did, that was why I pulled up that image of Professor Layton asking you what the hell were you talking about  ^-^ 
    Internet humour is a hit and miss affair.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Meowayne

I'm totally in for a hybrid of those two games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool
    @Meowayne said:
    " I'm totally in for a hybrid of those two games. "
    Professor Layton & the Whores Of Liberty City?
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rallier
    @oldschool said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    Professor Layton & the Whores Of Liberty City? "
    Professor Layton and the white powder trail. 

You just opened Pandora's box Oldschool ^^
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
    @Rallier said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Meowayne said:
    Professor Layton & the Whores Of Liberty City? "
    Professor Layton and the white powder trail.   You just opened Pandora's box Oldschool ^^ "
    This thread:| 
    Where bad puns go to die  ^-^

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.