Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Nintendo DS2 (Rumour)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

As some of you may already know, there have been many rumblings at GDC this past week concerning the DS's successor, well now GameInformer has weighed in with some unconfirmed details.  

According to GI, the new hardware will be a true follow up to the DS, not another revision of the current model. It's said to feature two larger than DS screens, with a gap so thin it will in effect become one large screen. There's also said to be a built-in accelerometer to tilt and track the way you're holding the device. Raw power wise, anonymous developers are stating that the development kits they've received are comparable in power to those used for Gamecube projects. Those already crafting games say that there isn't too much of a learning curve for those that have designed for Gamecube, Wii or DS. 

Developer sources predict Nintendo will announce the new handheld at this E3, and will likely release the new handheld in Japan at the end of the year.

Game Informer

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Meh, I'm starting to dislike rumors and such now.  I just want to see it in action and then I'll get hyped, but I laugh at those who recently bought a DSi or a DSi XL.  It's like early adopters get fucked.  And this proves even more that they are following the Apple model of releasing new iterations as fast as they possibly can.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Drebin_893

Interesting. An E3 announcement would be very possible, but surely to keep DS sales going they wouldn't want to announce this too long before actually releasing it.

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
    kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By kitsune_conundrum

smells expensive.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By shadows_kill

if it lets me play ds games then i'll probably get it... (well once they either A: announce the lite version or B: mario kart is released on it)

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Interesting rumour and one with a pretty good chance of being true, I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Nintendo showing off a DS 2 at E3 this year but I'm not liking this speculation over high prices for the console, a highly priced Nintendo handheld isn't something I can afford right now.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's not something Nintendo are known for, they'll always look to keep cost down to the very minimum. Perhaps the deal they've supposedly done with nVidia means they can still afford to keep the price fairly low, in comparison to other devices that use Tegra 2.  

I personally expect the new machine to cost around 200 Pounds when it launches.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel
    @dcpc10 said:
    " Hmmm, I wonder if the PSP2 will be using the same chip. I hope Sony tries to create something more powerful but then again, that would be very hard and time consuming. "
    Creating something more powerful didn't exactly work in their favor the first time around.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#10  Edited By Hailinel
    @dcpc10 said:
    " @Hailinel: But was that the reason why the PSP didn't do as well as the DS? Definitely not. "
    Then why would it matter if the PSP2 is more powerful or not?
    j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By j_drace
    @dcpc10: If you got that info from the GameInformer magazine that just came out then you should know that it's the April edition, meaning it's the april fools edition.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By animateria
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Meh, I'm starting to dislike rumors and such now.  I just want to see it in action and then I'll get hyped, but I laugh at those who recently bought a DSi or a DSi XL.  It's like early adopters get fucked.  And this proves even more that they are following the Apple model of releasing new iterations as fast as they possibly can. "
    Technically, the DSi and XL are improvements over the first gen systems. Not an early adopter thing. My DS fat is the early adopters crap. Works well enough (although it's dying now), but it's a bulky ass system.

Oh, and those who bought the PSP 1000... That was pretty crap too.

Anyways, the DSi is pretty much the end of the line for current DS products. The next rumored handheld is something totally new.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @animateria: I mean early adopters to the new iterations, those who buy it upon release.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By demontium

rumor = rumor

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DoctorWelch

There is obviously going to be another DS at some point, but with the DSi XL just coming out, why would they go off and announce a DS2. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo already has a good idea of what exactly the DS2 is going to be, but to speculate that Nintendo will announce it at E3 is a bit much at this point. The DS is still going pretty strong (even though DSi Ware kinda sucks) and I dont think Nintendo is in a rush to get something completely different out there when so many people just bought the DSi and DSi XL.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince

Gamecube eh?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By AgentJ
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "
    According to GI, the new hardware will be a true follow up to the DS, not another revision of the current model. It's said to feature two larger than DS screens, with a gap so thin it will in effect become one large screen.   
      Oh, that sounds SOOO nice. Flippin dream is what that is. Practically one screen? That's how it should be. 
     There's also said to be a built-in accelerometer to tilt and track the way you're holding the device.  
      The next logical step. I'm looking forward to the implication. 
      Raw power wise, anonymous developers are stating that the development kits they've received are comparable in power to those used for Gamecube projects. Those already crafting games say that there isn't too much of a learning curve for those that have designed for Gamecube, Wii or DS.     
    Now if only it could play real Gamecube games.   
     Developer sources predict Nintendo will announce the new handheld at this E3, and will likely release the new handheld in Japan at the end of the year.

Game Informer "
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Gameboy

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shirogane
    @AgentJ said:
    Now if only it could play real Gamecube games.   

Oh boy, that would be freakin insane... 

And actually almost viable, considering the size of the discs.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ

RPAD spent the entire Game Developers Conference trying to dig up information on Nintendo's successor to the wildly-successful DS handheld. His findings? Of interest.

According to several third-party developers writer Raymond Padilla spoke with, the next Nintendo handheld sounds a lot like the current Nintendo handheld, only with better screens and better performance. Just like we asked for.

The key findings were:

- That the handheld's two screens - yes, it's going dual-screen again - are not only bigger, but the "gap between the two screens is negligible", meaning they can serve as either two separate screens or as a a single large display.

- It's got an accelerometer in it.

- It's expected, based on the handheld's dev kit, to have performance similar to a GameCube. Meaning it has similar performance to a Wii. Handheld Mario Galaxy and Wind Waker? Yes please.

- Many of the developers said their games would be finished towards the end of the year, suggesting a late 2010 release.

And that suggests a reveal of the console at this year's E3 Expo in Los Angeles. It's important to note at this stage that these are all unconfirmed rumours, but then, they do sound awfully sensible, don't they?

If it is coming out at the end of the year (which I kind of doubt) does that mean the next pokemon isn't going to come out on the DS? I can't see them releasing one on out of date hardware.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By halberdierv2

well, if it has a processor akin to a GC, why dont they have an attachmant to run GC games through it? makes 'cubing portable.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AgentJ
    @Halberdierv2 said:
    " well, if it has a processor akin to a GC, why dont they have an attachmant to run GC games through it? makes 'cubing portable. "
    Might be expensive to have a disc drive rather than some sort of card, cart, or cartridge reader
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @LiquidPrince said:

" Gamecube eh? "

@Linkyshinks
    said: 

Developers are stating that the development kits they've received are comparable in power to those used for Gamecube projects    

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By halberdierv2
    @AgentJ: true, but i was thinking more of having the CDDrive as like a dongle, so it can be attached, but not a manditory part of the hardware.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentJ
    @Halberdierv2 said:
    " @AgentJ: true, but i was thinking more of having the CDDrive as like a dongle, so it can be attached, but not a manditory part of the hardware. "
    Seems like that would be cumbersome on a handheld, but I suppose if it was done right...
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By rallier

Fingers crossed for a pressure sensitive screen.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By oldschool

Bring it on baby. 

I think the DS will continue on for several years, like the PS2 and be a cheaper overlap product for the new DS.  That way, the cheaper end of the market, with all the "Z" games and the like can continue on.  Initially you won't see a lot of them on a DS2 because of cost and that might be a good thing.  We will also see a lot of Wii/DS2 games if it is true, which would be a bad thing in my view, as that was a problem for the PSP.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hot_Karl

I really hope that handhelds don't start releasing for at least another year (late 2011/early 2012). I just bought a DSi last September, and I bought a PSP-3000 at the end of December, so I'm in no hurry to pick up a new system just yet. 

I do like the fact that the DS will finally have some nice looking graphics though- the PSP has been churning out (almost) PS2 quality graphics for 5 years now, it's about time that the DS gets beefed up as well.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#29  Edited By wwfundertaker

Nintendo have a lot of time and money, may be they could spend it on improving the wii.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Hm, not sure how I'd feel about this.  The GBA being able to play the equivalent of SNES games was amazing at the time, since it gave us a chance to replay many of the old classics.  But not much time has passed since the Gamecube was released, and all of those games still work just as well on the Wii.  I certainly wouldn't be rebuying games like the Windwaker or Mario Sunshine, so they'd really have to focus on new titles.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgentJ
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Hm, not sure how I'd feel about this.  The GBA being able to play the equivalent of SNES games was amazing at the time, since it gave us a chance to replay many of the old classics.  But not much time has passed since the Gamecube was released, and all of those games still work just as well on the Wii.  I certainly wouldn't be rebuying games like the Windwaker or Mario Sunshine, so they'd really have to focus on new titles. "
    When the GBA came out in 2000/2001 the SNES had only been dead for 4 years (N64 came out sept. 1996.) The gamecube will have been gone for four years at the end of 2010. Seems like a pretty similar situation.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @AgentJ said:
    " @WinterSnowblind said:
    " Hm, not sure how I'd feel about this.  The GBA being able to play the equivalent of SNES games was amazing at the time, since it gave us a chance to replay many of the old classics.  But not much time has passed since the Gamecube was released, and all of those games still work just as well on the Wii.  I certainly wouldn't be rebuying games like the Windwaker or Mario Sunshine, so they'd really have to focus on new titles. "
    When the GBA came out in 2000/2001 the SNES had only been dead for 4 years (N64 came out sept. 1996.) The gamecube will have been gone for four years at the end of 2010. Seems like a pretty similar situation. "
    It definitely seemed a lot longer between the SNES and GBA than it actually was..  but I didn't hang on to my SNES, so once the GBA came out it was a chance to replay many of the classics that I grew up.  The difference with the Gamecube is that the games still work with the Wii.  I played through the Windwaker not too long ago.

Regardless..  Unless they announced the new Pokemon game is to be released for this machine, I'll likely hold off for an inevitable hardware revision.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldschool
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    I was discussing the possibility with my daughters and we all agreed that the new DS if Gamecube capable will be brilliant if they remake a stack of the original Gamecube games.  I am not just saying make a straight port, but making alterations that make it better on the new format - like Super Mario 64 DS (although it wasn't better, which is an opinion).  I would love Pikmin on this possible format, or Luigi's Mansion, Battalion Wars, Baten Kaitos, Fire Emblem - and so on.  I wouldn't hesitate to re-buy the games if they weren't just a lazy port.  Even then, a lazy port would still be good.  It would give the new system a quick library of great games, whilst they work on new ones, filling in that usually bland first year of a new console.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Linkyshinks

I really think it will be a lot better than Gamecube quality. it's not that hard to do given the advances in mobile cpu's and mobile battery technology. Sony will likely leap frog Nintendo's next in terms of raw power, but I think Nintendo's handheld will offer something new via it's games, something which makes it different. That may come in the form of services.. Nintendo could kill any competition if it made the full Gameboy catalogue accessible.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I really think it will be a lot better than Gamecube quality. it's not that hard to do given the advances in mobile cpu's and mobile battery technology. Sony will likely leap frog it Nintendo's next in terms of raw power, but I think Nintendo's handheld will offer something new via it's games, something which makes it different. That may come in the form of services.. Nintendo could kill any competition if it made the full Gameboy catalogue accessible. "
    If the new system had a memory card system to store VC games, it would be a serious winner.  So many games to download if it happened - everything Nintendo has ever made really.  You are right about power - the PSP is 5 years old and had near PS2 power.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Linkyshinks

I wonder how much truth there is in some of this other stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.