Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Taking the DS into the classroom.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool
    DS Enters The Classroom.

No Caption Provided
    Nintendo Japan is pushing forward with its plans to somehow make the DS even more widespread. We already reported on the recent use of the system as a guide for a shopping center in Tokyo Disney Resort. Today, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun (it's like a Japanese Wall Street Journal) reported that Nintendo will be offering a content creation system to allow schools, museums, nursing homes, and other public facilities to use the DS in unique new ways. 

No Caption Provided
    The paper wasn't too specific, but it appears that Nintendo has created a PC-based content tool which allows partners to easily create content that an be sent out to the DS via Wi-Fi. In the case of a classroom, it would be possible for teachers to create lessons using this system, and transfer the lessons to students' DS units. Students can then respond to questions on the DS, with the teacher monitoring the results in real time. 

No Caption Provided
    Schools in Kyoto and Kanagawa (an area near Tokyo) are looking into adopting Nintendo's new system. But one institution is already using the system as part of a test program. Patrons to the Museum of Kyoto can, as of today, receive voice-based descriptions of exhibits directly through their DS. The service is free. 

No Caption Provided
    The paper also mentions the possibility of nursing homes using the system to manage staff schedules, staff contact lists, and to provide a message board for staff. 

Nintendo hasn't made formal announcement of the system, but now that word has broken through Nikkei, we expect to hear something official in the coming days or weeks. (from dcemu)

Dang!  Life has really changed from when I was a kid.

I would be so sneaking game time on my favourite Final Fantasy game instead of school work.  ANy of you see that happening in your western school?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheMustacheHero

This all sounds pretty epic. Sadly, I think it's too broad of an idea for any western schools to grasp.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    TheMustacheHero said:
    "This all sounds pretty epic. Sadly, I think it's too broad of an idea for any western schools to grasp."
    Why are we so slow in the west when it comes to this sort of thing?

I'm glad my daughters were largely home schooled.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
    Ossi said:
    "Once a nation cut off from the world and behind is now a nation doing things years ahead of it's time. This is why I love Japan's mentality for technological advancements. Using different pieces of our daily life to create something for entertainment, education, health, etc and putting it out there for people to explore and experiment. This would never fly in the west because they want to create an association of violence, crime, and laziness in gaming - which for a lot of us who grew up with games and now have lives of our own, know it's not true. Good on Nintendo, more power to them."
    You are right about western attitudes.  The media beat everything up and scare the public and the politicians jump to their beat.  That and old people.  Old people who are afraid of what they don't know and then try to have it banned.  Old people suck.  Well, not all of them :-)
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

I think I speak for everyone when I say this:
    STOP POSTING WEIRD DS STORIES NO ONE REALLY CARES ABOUT!

Or at least vary it up with like, useless Wii info.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    "I think I speak for everyone when I say this:
    Or at least vary it up with like, useless Wii info."
    You don't have to read them.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Red said:
    Give me an oldschool thread anyday over the same bullshit I see every day. I'm so tired of politics, religion, and basically threads that don't bother with any type of discussion.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Red
    oldschool said:
    "Red said:
    "
    But I do. 'Cause they're kinda interesting, and have awesome headlines. I just don't see the point of using a DS in classes over a cell phone application.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    "oldschool said:
    "Red said:
    "
    But I do. 'Cause they're kinda interesting, and have awesome headlines. I just don't see the point of using a DS in classes over a cell phone application.
    "
    But you could have just said that.  I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you.  There are many pieces of technology that could do just as well, if not better.  The story however wasn't about them.  It was specific to the use of the DS and how it was kind of cool.  It also highlighted the difference in attitudes between east and west.  
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    Red said:
    "oldschool said:
    "Red said:
    "
    "
    Are you suggesting that a Cell phone is the same or better than a DS?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    TheMustacheHero said:
    "Red said:
    "oldschool said:
    "Red said:
    "
    "
    Are you suggesting that a Cell phone is the same or better than a DS?"
    I think the DS advantage is the unified application and price.  Whilst everyone probably has a mobile phone, they will all be different.  Choosing a single mobile phone would be problematic.  I could be wrong though.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Red

If you're asking everyone to have a portable video game system to class, why not ask them to bring a laptop to class?

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
    Red said:
    "If you're asking everyone to have a portable video game system to class, why not ask them to bring a laptop to class?"
    A DS is cheap, small, and practically every person in Japan has six of them, so it sounds like it'll work just about right.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Red

Lemme rephrase that:

Some dudes would go on a killing spree when asked to buy a video game console for school.
    Or what if their kids got a PSP? Now their parents have to buy another "stupid toy"?
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    Red said:
    "If you're asking everyone to have a portable video game system to class, why not ask them to bring a laptop to class?"
    I'm not asking, but I figure size and cost.  I think the DS is just more convenient and because it is something a large portion of the population have, and is seen as a fun item, then it is likely to get greater participation.  I'm sure they all have access to a laptop as well, in Japanese schools.

What I am trying to say is there may be better items to use, but they wouldn't necessarily have better acceptance and success rates.

It can't be any better than an iPod Touch though (I would rate the iPod Touch much higher for learning possibilities), but Apple is an American company, so there would be some resistance.
    weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By weltal

Interesting. Completely useless, but interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.