Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

The definitive DSi VC "must have" list: Pt 5 Gameboy - RPG

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

With DSi Virtual Console on its way at some point, we continue to reflect on the Gameboy Original and think about the great games it had and which ones we would like to see work its way way on to your DSi.

In this retrospective we look at another genre and the games that were good and and worthy a download if they made it onto the system.

Other threads to reply in are as follows:

The definitive DSi VC "must have" list: Pt 1 Gameboy - Action 

Part - 2:  Role Playing
    Third Person 2D - First Person 2D - ThirdPerson Action 2D - Strategy 

The Final Fantasy Legend
    Rolan's Curse
    The Sword of Hope
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Mysterium
    Final Fantasy Legend II
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Final Fantasy Adventure
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Knight's Quest
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Ultima: Runes of Virtue
    Ninja Taro
    Rolan's Curse 2
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Ultima: Runes of Virtue II
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Great Greed
    Ninja Boy 2
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    Final Fantasy Legend III
    Sword of Hope 2
    Legend of the River King
    Harvest Moon GB
    Pokemon: Blue Version
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Pokemon: Red Version
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Pokemon: Yellow Version - Special Pikachu Edition

This is my domain.  My greatest fun comes from this genre.  I wasn't into Fianal Fantasy at this stage, but Pokemon was where it all started for me.  It was where I started with all 3 versions, one for each the children and me.

I also have the awesomeness that is Harvest Moon and Zelda.  I would pretty much pick up all of these games without as much as a second thought if the DsiVC becomes a reality.

Coming next:

Gameboy Pt. 6 - Shooting

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Kiemoe

Dude, I thought coming into this post I was gonna have to go with Pokemon, but I totally forgot about Link's Awakening! That game's awesome, and if I had to choose, it'd be that one.

Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Puppy
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By oldschool
    @Puppy said:
    " Oldschool, are ye' mad?! What about Dragon Warrior Monsters?! "
    yes, but my medication is helping.  Oh wait, you mean .......

Japanese only game?  I deliberately left out Japanese games.  Oh wait - I just checked your link.  That is a Gameboy Colour.  I am still on Gameboy.  I will get to Gameboy Colour, but again, if it wasn't released in the west, I am not adding it.  It makes it too messy.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

It's nice that we are getting remakes of the Final Fantasy Legend games. they really look great. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Would be pretty cool to add Pokemon on there and still be able to trade with the other version.

EDIT:  Final Fantasy Adventure is a kick ass game.  I wonder if people know that FFA is actually the first game in the Mana series.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Axersia

RPGs (especially action RPGs) are my favorite genre now, but I didn't get into them until the 2000s, so I haven't played a lot of GB RPGs.

What I've played:

Pokemon Yellow
    Bought this because I was a fan of the show and wanted a game that followed the show's storyline more closely (i.e., I wanted Pikachu to follow me and Team Rocket to try and capture him :P), but I didn't actually get it until after I already owned a GBC (perhaps even a GBA) and Pokemon Silver.

Final Fantasy Legend/SaGa 1 - 3
    I've only played these games on emulators and never got very far in any of them (this always happens when I play games I don't own), but I do intend to purchase them one of these days, so it would be great if these appeared on the DSi's VC.

Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu
    Didn't get this until well after I got a GBA. It still holds up quite well today (perhaps a bit less so than Link's Awakening because it's more combat-oriented and more complex in that area of gameplay, but it's still very playable IMO). I personally prefer it over its remake/reimagining Sword of Mana.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
    I've only played the GBC DX version, but I'll add it anyway.

Harvest Moon GB
    I bought this because I was a fan of the SNES version, but it turned out to just be a horribly stripped-down version of that game -- I wouldn't recommend it.

That's all I've played as far as GB RPGs go. My favorite is FF Adventure if you don't count GB/GBC hybrid cartridges (otherwise it would be Pokemon Silver), but if Pokemon Yellow had been my first Pokemon game it probably would've been my favorite instead.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oldschool
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Would be pretty cool to add Pokemon on there and still be able to trade with the other version.EDIT:  Final Fantasy Adventure is a kick ass game.  I wonder if people know that FFA is actually the first game in the Mana series. "
    You know it can happen, should happen, everyone wants to happen .............. and in a move, predictable in the way Nintendo operates, they won't do it.  I love their work, but sometimes Nintendo let me down.  This would likely be one of those times.

What I have played (and still  own) are only the three Pokemon games and Zelda.

What I really want is all the Final Fantasy games.  I would also go for the Fisher King one and the Harvest Moon (even though I am sure Axersia is correct - but I want it for collection reasons).  Any of the other traditional RPG games would also still be worth a try.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By toowalrus

I really hope they make slight improvements to some of these games. I love me the hell out of Pokemon red/blue, but the inability to "catch em all" due to the lack of a link cable would be a huge bummer. I really hope they let you trade over WiFi when/if they release the pokemon games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By oldschool
    @TooWalrus said:
    " I really hope they make slight improvements to some of these games. I love me the hell out of Pokemon red/blue, but the inability to "catch em all" due to the lack of a link cable would be a huge bummer. I really hope they let you trade over WiFi when/if they release the pokemon games. "
    A lack of wireless connection would be unforgiveable.  Even if it didn't use it online (which is highly unlikely), it just has to let you do it with your nearby friends.  It is the WHOLE point of owning these games.
    Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Puppy
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @Puppy said:

Japanese only game?  I deliberately left out Japanese games.  Oh wait - I just checked your link.  That is a Gameboy Colour.  I am still on Gameboy.  I will get to Gameboy Colour, but again, if it wasn't released in the west, I am not adding it.  It makes it too messy.
    "

Erm...it isn't a Japanese only game and it did come out in the west.

Edit: But yes, you're right, I completely forgot that this was a GBC game. Hm.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    @Puppy said:
    "@oldschool said: 
    "@Puppy said: 

"
    Erm...it isn't a Japanese only game and it did come out in the west.Edit: But yes, you're right, I completely forgot that this was a GBC game. Hm. "
    That was just typing as I thought.  If it is a western release game, then it will be on the next series of lists  :-)
    Puppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Puppy
    @oldschool said:
    "
    @Puppy said:
    "@oldschool said: 
    "@Puppy said: 

"
    Erm...it isn't a Japanese only game and it did come out in the west.Edit: But yes, you're right, I completely forgot that this was a GBC game. Hm. "
    That was just typing as I thought.  If it is a western release game, then it will be on the next series of lists  :-)
    "

;D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.