Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo DS

Platform »

The Nintendo DS is a handheld featuring two screens, one of which is a resistive touchscreen. Four different models are available: the original DS, the DS Lite, the DSi, the DSi XL.

Which fighting series would you like to see on the DS?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

After seeing my old Super Smash Bros on the DS thread revived and some recent discussion on the lack of fighters on the DS, I thought it might be time for a full discussion. 

In order to progress a discussion, we first need to take a look at what actually is on the DS in respect to fighting: 

No Caption Provided
    Guilty Gear: Dust Strikers 
    Bleach: Blade of Fate & Dark Souls
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 
    Draglade 
    Naruto: Ninja Destiny

Not exactly swimming in them is it?  

With the almost complete lack of games to choose from, the we need to ask ourselves which ones we would really like to see.  I have had a look at the history of fighting games and come up with many obvious, but feel free to fill in the blanks I am not aware of.  An important question is - do we want 2D or 3D?   Another is - buttons vs stylus vs combination?

I am betting the consensus is 2D and if so, I am with you.  There are so many old fighting games that should be remade, just like so many other games in the DS library, like Chrono Trigger or Dragon Quest V for example.  So here is what I came up with:  

No Caption Provided
    Art of Fighting   
    No Caption Provided
     Battle Arena Toshinden 

No Caption Provided
     Capcom Vs. SNK

Clayfighter  
    No Caption Provided
    Darkstalkers

No Caption Provided
    Fatal Fury 

No Caption Provided
    Killer Instinct 

No Caption Provided
    Primal Rage     

No Caption Provided
    Samurai Shodown 

No Caption Provided
    Streetfighter 

No Caption Provided
    Tekken 

No Caption Provided
    King of Fighters 

No Caption Provided
    Virtua Fighter 

No Caption Provided
    Dead or Alive  

No Caption Provided
    Soul Calibur

So there you have it.  Quite a few series and certainly some old games to remake.  Could it be done?  Should it be done?  Is there a market for it?  For some of the more well known series, it seems madness not to do it.  A damn fine Streetfighter could be done easily. Hell, a lot of these appeared on the Gameboy, the first one.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Playing a fighting game on the DS is just a bad cramp waiting to happen.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

as much as i love the DOA fighting games, a old school Street Fighter game on the DS would be pretty cool. though the DS isn't the best platform for fighting games. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By toowalrus
    I'd want a Super Smash game on the DS more than anything, preferably one with all ot the levels from the N64 game. But a portable version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo would be welcome as well.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Cerza

I would love to see a new Clayfighter game on any system, same goes for a new Darkstalkers. Though on the DS I would be afraid of them trying to add in some crap gimmick with the stylus and it would ruin it.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bonbolapti

I digress, The DS is a terrible platfrom for a fighting game... 
    Just because it doesn't feel right. 

The fighting games that I have played on it.. are just.... ughhhh
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    @TooWalrus said:
    "I'd want a Super Smash game on the DS more than anything, preferably one with all ot the levels from the N64 game. But a portable version of Super Street Fighter II Turbo would be welcome as well."
    In all honesty, that is the only one I want, but it isn't a traditional fighter.  If they could shove Super Mario 64 onto a DS cart, then there is no good reason I can see about not making the N64 SSB a DS game, complete.  I just can't see why it hasn't happened as it would sell by the truckload.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho
    @Cerza said:
    " I would love to see a new Clayfighter game on any system, same goes for a new Darkstalkers. Though on the DS I would be afraid of them trying to add in some crap gimmick with the stylus and it would ruin it. "
    Where do you live, 2005? DS games barely even have stylus control anymore dude.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#9  Edited By Cerza
    @ryanwho said:
    " @Cerza said:
    " I would love to see a new Clayfighter game on any system, same goes for a new Darkstalkers. Though on the DS I would be afraid of them trying to add in some crap gimmick with the stylus and it would ruin it. "
    Where do you live, 2005? DS games barely even have stylus control anymore dude. "
    Yes they are done pushing the stylus. That's why Links choo choo adventure just came out and that doesn't have any stylus related controls at all...
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus
    Yeah, there are a couple of instances like that. I've been wanting a portable OoT port on the DS much like we got LttP on the GBA. Part of me thinks it's just Nintendo holding onto resources. If they give the fans everything they want, they won't have any gaurenteed money-makers left to pump out when the company possibly gets into trouble someday.
      @oldschool:
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By Atlas

Has to be 2D, and relatively simple. 4 button games are best suited to the DS's control style, so I think any SNK game is a good bet. I would love a port of Garou: Mark of the Wolves for the DS, or a King of Fighters game. Or  a GOOD Guilty Gear/BlazBlue game.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#12  Edited By wwfundertaker

None, The DS doesnt need a 3d fighter. Wouldnt mind if there were more 2d fighting games on it.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The GBA Mortal Kombat games actually worked really well, it's a shame they chose to simply port one of the old games to the DS rather than make a new one for it.
    Hopefully that's something we'll see in the future..

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldschool
    @Cerza said:
    " @ryanwho said:
    " @Cerza said:
    Where do you live, 2005? DS games barely even have stylus control anymore dude. "
    Yes they are done pushing the stylus. That's why Links choo choo adventure just came out and that doesn't have any stylus related controls at all... "
    Most games really don't use the stylus much or it is just an option.  I rarely use the stylus.  Sure, Zelda is an exception, but it is far from the rule.  If they have the stylus as an option, you can still choose not to use it.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Killer Instinct for sure! A classic, and i think it needs to be reborn. Or maybe a Street Fighter could be cool.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    @CornontheCobbe said:
    " Killer Instinct for sure! A classic, and i think it needs to be reborn. Or maybe a Street Fighter could be cool. "
    Considering how popular Streetfighter is at the moment, it seems like a no-brainer to me, and would have to have a decent online option.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#17  Edited By AgentJ

I'd love to see a street fighter.  

By the way, did anyone else see that they are putting a Blazblue spinoff on DSiware?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " I'd love to see a street fighter.   By the way, did anyone else see that they are putting a Blazblue spinoff on DSiware? "
    Link?  I didn't include it as it is a new fighter and HD.  Not that it should stop a DS version happening.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By AgentJ
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel

A DS version of Smash Bros. seems like a no-brainer.  I thinkt he dual screens would also make it a good fit for fighting games with plenty of aerials and high jumping (see:  MvC2, Arcana Heart, etc).

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oldschool
    @AgentJ said:
    " @oldschool:  http://www.destructoid.com/blazblue- to-dsiware-involves-big-heads-157671.phtml  That's not where I found out (I think it was IGN) but the info is the same "
    No Caption Provided

You know what, I really, really love that look and wish they had have made the effort and gone with a bigger, fully fledged DS game.  Chibi anime is so my thing and the gameplay sounds right up my alley.  Harddcore gamers will whine though.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Linkyshinks

I would love to see a chibi version of Darkstalkers/ Vampire, and Samurai Shodown. There is actually a chibi version of the later already, it was released for the Neo Geo pocket. 

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By fwylo

Killer Instinct, or Shaq-FU, or Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style

No Caption Provided
    The Giiiza
    The Giiiza
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " I would love to see a chibi version of Darkstalkers/ Vampire, and Samurai Shodown. There is actually a chibi version of the later already, it was released for the Neo Geo pocket.  "
    I just love chibi style games for some reason, especially on handhelds like the DS, so if they made chibi fighting games, I could actually be a lot more interested.  That is why BlazBlue should have been a full DS game, not a download.
    Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25  Edited By Symphony

Personally, none. The small screen and cramped controls just wouldn't work for me. I also don't do any online stuff with my DS so that would completely eliminate any reason for me to get a fighting game for it in the first place >.>

Now if they did a spin-off like Super Puzzle Fighter for it, that would be great. some sort of crazy Project Justice (A series I see missing from your list *AHEM*) Adventure game would be really cool.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrKlorox

I'd have to say SMASH bros. The two screens seem to provide the necessary verticality.

I think any system could benefit from another Bushido blade.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Linkyshinks

It would be a good fit on the XL only imo.  

Nintendo do have console titles they could effectively bring to DS. Pikmin being another.  

As Nintendo DS has its own unique advantages, it would be possible to create a gameplay-control mechanism which would be good for and unique to Pikmin."   

-Hino-san
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By oldschool
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " It would be a good fit on the XL only imo.  

Nintendo do have console titles they could effectively bring to DS. Pikmin being another.  

As Nintendo DS has its own unique advantages, it would be possible to create a gameplay-control mechanism which would be good for and unique to Pikmin."   

-Hino-san "
    That would be SO awesome.  It seems crazy that we are still waiting for a Pikmin portable.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel
    @oldschool said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @oldschool:   http://www.destructoid.com/blazblue- to-dsiware-involves-big-heads-157671.phtml  That's not where I found out (I think it was IGN) but the info is the same "
    No Caption Provided

You know what, I really, really love that look and wish they had have made the effort and gone with a bigger, fully fledged DS game.  Chibi anime is so my thing and the gameplay sounds right up my alley.  Harddcore gamers will whine though. "
    Dude.  It looks like BlazBlue is getting a 3D form of Guilty Gear Petit.  That's cool.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Synthballs

But but but, What about that Jump Ultimate Stars?

It is like SSB with Manga characters. It proves that we can have a decent SSB. They'd just need to make some new textures. I'd be fine with a full on 2D SSB.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By JJOR64

I would love to see some Street Fighter action on DS.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldschool
    @Synthballs said:
    " But but but, What about that Jump Ultimate Stars?  It is like SSB with Manga characters. It proves that we can have a decent SSB. They'd just need to make some new textures. I'd be fine with a full on 2D SSB. "
    I think most of us would probably prefer a 2D SSB to give it the chance to be a very deep game.  The characters would pretty damn sweet I believe.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Black_Rose

I remember having a blast with Tekken Advance. I'm pretty sure that a good Tekken game could be made for the DS. 

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By demontium
    @oldschool: Super... Smash... Brothers....
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Synthballs
    @oldschool said:
    " @Synthballs said:
    " But but but, What about that Jump Ultimate Stars?  It is like SSB with Manga characters. It proves that we can have a decent SSB. They'd just need to make some new textures. I'd be fine with a full on 2D SSB. "
    I think most of us would probably prefer a 2D SSB to give it the chance to be a very deep game.  The characters would pretty damn sweet I believe. "
    If they make this (and they fucking better) I Don't want no god damn fucking subspace shit. No story. Classic mode and silly killing only.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel
    @Synthballs said:
    " @oldschool said:
    " @Synthballs said:
    I think most of us would probably prefer a 2D SSB to give it the chance to be a very deep game.  The characters would pretty damn sweet I believe. "
    If they make this (and they fucking better) I Don't want no god damn fucking subspace shit. No story. Classic mode and silly killing only. "
    What was wrong with Subspace Emissary?  That was hilarious.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Synthballs
    @Hailinel: It rubbed me the wrong way. You can't have what is meant to be an epic story with no god damn dialogue of any kind. if they had a little bit of speech, it wouldn't of hurt them. Majority of the Characters in it have spoken in one way shape or form in other games but, it just shit me up the wall.
    eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#39  Edited By eldiax

I would definitely like a 2d fighter, with no stylus controls. I can't imagine a fighting game could be done well with a stylus.

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By nick_verissimo

All i want is a street fighter game on my DS.  Give it some online play and I think it'll have as solid of a community as Mario Kart.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.