Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Eurogamer have Nintendo NX leaks!

• 120 results
    gundogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Hey look an Ouya.

I don't know about this one. I don't think an ARM SoC is good enough for a big main console. It does open up things for mobile games, but people have phones and tablets for that already.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I'll get it if there's a version of Super Mario Maker that still has a Super Mario World tileset and/or a main-line Pokemon game on it.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Really not down with this portability stuff.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its out in 8 months and they haven't even revealed it. The frig are you doing, Nintendo?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the idea, but the Tegra stuff seems like a bummer to me so they made a tablet with controllers on it ?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninjalegend: i think you could argue nintendo was all about pushing graphical fidelity for all of... one console?

it's always been about great games and artstyle for them.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By bill_mcneal

I'll reserve any judgement I have until it's OFFICIALLY announced and after I've played it and/or seen a GB Launch video.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 2

Nintendo would be smart to get ahead of this leak. Their stocks have already dropped 10% for the day.

Given that their stock skyrocketed when Pokemon Go was released and then plummeted when investors actually realized Nintendo didn't create it, I wouldn't worry.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

#59  Edited By Colonel_Pockets

Soooooooo the article said no backwards compatibility. Does that mean there's no virtual console or does that mean Wii U/Wii games won't work on it?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The idea of detachable controller pieces is just utterly baffling, ignoring the problem of (again) launching an underpowered console.

What's going to happen when the controllers break? Will Nintendo sell them standalone in stores or are you going to have to go to Nintendo itself? Are the now 10 year old Wii Remotes going to work with this? What is going to happen with local multiplayer? Are you going to have to find another NX owner, pair their controllers with your base station? How sturdy are those connections between the parts? Is this going to be a mess of connectors: cartridge slot, headphone jacket, base station connector, two controller connectors?

OhCollusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks cool just worried about the size of the screen. Doesn't look as portable as the 3ds. If it's tablet size seems kind of unwieldy on commutes.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#62  Edited By MEATBALL

@shindig said:

Its out in 8 months and they haven't even revealed it. The frig are you doing, Nintendo?

This isn't really so crazy. It was just 9 months between announcement and release for the Playstation 4, and only 6 months for the Xbox One. Relatively small gaps between a game or system's announcement and release are pretty standard at this point.

@colonel_pockets I'd assume it would mean no backwards compatibility with WiiU games/discs. I think it's a safe bet that Nintendo would still port various games from old systems to the NX with the whole Virtual Console thing, though (and make you pay for them all again -.- ).

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By TheBlue

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell there's nothing linking that diagram in the article to what the NX purportedly looks like, right? It's just a diagram giving people an idea of what they mean by removable controllers. I've seen a ton of people flip out about the design and how bad it looks when this picture just something thrown together to illustrate the idea. Am I crazy or is the internet just being the internet?

@colonel_pockets: Considering it is most likely a cartridge based system, it would stand to reason that Wii/WiiU discs would not be compatible. Virtual Console is purely digital and it would be crazy for Nintendo to not include it with this system.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Hayt

I get that Nintendo isn't chasing power for new machines but like was said earlier in this thread they've made a tablet with controllers. Maybe I will buy that Wii-U after all.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope it's something more substantial than a fucking Tegra X1

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I don't want to buy a portable, and since the NX is weaker than a PS4 because it is portable, I guess this console is definitely not for me.

I guess I'll just double-down on joining the PC Master Race. Waiting for the 1080 Ti.

GrayFoxbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hoping the Tegra X1 is a placeholder for the Tegra X2. Pascal is considerably more power efficient than Maxwell.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EDIT: Sorry didn't mean to be a jerk with how this post started initially, edited out and wont happen again.

Possible guess as to what Nintendo could be doing if any of this is true:

This is a Nintendo tablet. It's a backdoor console into ever mom and pop that wants to get a cheap tablet for their kids to play angry birds on except the craze isn't angry birds anymore it's Pokemon Go. If Nintendo does this right this is a new Wii.

They might not execute right and I may be stupid but let me explain my thinking:

So the controller bits detach right and the screen could likely be a touchscreen right? That's literally a smart tablet. Sure it wouldn't have anywhere close to the app library of even a windows phone but there are two ways of countering that.

1. They build up internal staff dedicated to mobile, which they've started doing thanks to Pokemon Go's success, who focuses on essential apps most often used, giving them a Nintendo IP coating, and then rely on indie app developers too be excited to put software on a Nintendo device. That last bit might sound presumptuous and it wouldn't be a lot of people but this phenomenon has happened with the WiiU and 3DS receiving some indie games first before more audience rich consoles entirely because of the developer's nostalgia. That's not a lot but it might be enough to avoid the laughable launch status of the Windows phone which could provide enough momentum to get going.

2. They have an android emulator or the OS is a heavy permutation on android that can still run android software and apps. Either one would require a good relationship with Google and Pokemon Go indicates that are at the very least on speaking terms.

It would be hard but if they play it right they could sell the thing not just as a console but as a tablet. When Nintendo said they wanted to use their apps to transition people to console games I didn't think their strategy was to magic your tablet into a console but they might be doing exactly that.

The controller bits detaching also means they can innovate controls or add weird control stuff on a per game basis. You know how some games come with an add on? Like a rumble pack or ddr mat? Now you can pack in a controller bit that changes the controls entirely. You could sell a flight sim that comes with a every button needed for it. You could sell a game that needs fifty new buttons by just packaging new controller replacements in with the game.

If they play this right Nintendo won't be trapped in the handheld space with Mobile looming over them Mobile will be trapped in their with them! If they play this right and there's no indication of how this will get executed. VitaTV should have been a slam dunk and the default roku type device but Sony didn't even try and fell flat on their faces. This could go either way but the potential is amazing.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By atomicoldman

I... don't know how any of this makes me feel. It sounds like kind of a mess, but at the same time I could take these games on the go and that sounds great. Especially since most of my Wii U gaming was done on the gamepad in my bedroom, away from the TV. Even if I sway more towards the other side, of thinking that this looks kind of awful, it's a Nintendo console and I bet I'll buy it regardless.

edit: I also really wonder what the battery life on that thing is going to be like.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Dedicated Nintendo handhelds 1989-2017.

RIP, I always loved you guys.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#71  Edited By MezZa

Considering how much I've enjoyed Nintendo handhelds over their consoles these last two cycles, I'm cautiously optimistic about a hybrid device. If fire emblem, monster hunter, pokemon, zelda, mario, etc. are all moving onto one platform so I only have to buy one piece of hardware then that's not something I'll argue against. Can't say I really care about its graphical power at all. It's Nintendo so I'm not expecting much aside from the bare minimum to slide by. Their art styles usually carry them pretty far anyway. If I want some kind of technical wonder I'll just hop on over to my PC and play there for a bit. Because of the PC, I don't need a PC clone with another company's name on it. That's pretty much all the other two consoles have been for me this generation and thats incredibly disappointing for the most part. Good on Nintendo for continuing to try to do their own thing.

Overall still looking forward to Nintendo's official word.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

You guys don't seem to get what this is do you?

How can anyone understand what the NX is when we really don't know everything about it yet? Everything here is a guess, just like your entire post, right?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By Onemanarmyy

This seems fine to me. Whenever i'm at home i pretty much find myself playing games on PC because that's where my favourite games live. Having a tablet dedicated to games could certainly be neat. That's kind of how i used the WiiU mostly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
    deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theblue: Your correct - concept drawing are on purpose as vague as possible and should only illustrate the basic concept not the final product in detail.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. I can see this as a fine replacement for a traditional home console, but I don't see them completely unifying around it unless it was inexpensive enough.

Or rather, I don't think they want to lose the 2DS entry price point.

Then again I have no idea how well the 2DS did.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I'd be very surprised if the Eurogamer article these discussions are based on is a guess.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: 8 months ahead of launch you need to assume supply chain for the NX is running already. Consequently you don't need to guess but only get reliable sources from within all the companies working at NX's hardware and software.

Looking at the latest financial reports, one can only hope the NX becomes a success from the get go - else stake holders will force the company to focus to a big extend on the mobile market (Pokemon Go Dollars for everyone, yeah!).Q3 Summary

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

This all seems very predictable and ambitious. I'm quite concerned about the storage and game price situation.

If Nintendo are going to use carts (memory cards), it would make sense but also be very costly. Just looking at retail prices, a 10 pack of BluRay discs costs around 10 bucks where as a single 32 gigabyte SD card costs about the same. Quick logic would suggest that this would increase the manufacturing costs of games by a factor of ten.

Because of this, Nintendo would be inclined to push their customers towards downloading their games. If they were smart, they'd give some sort of small discount on downloadable games so that they could slowly phase out the expensive cartridges.

However this brings forth another problem. If the games are equivalent in scope and size to even last-gen titles, a single game could easily take up 32 gigs or more on the device. Just think how fast the 500 gig PS4 and Xbox One hard-drives have filled up. There's no way that Nintendo would put a spinning hard-drive into this thing, so they'd probably have to go for some sort of SSD solution which will be very expensive and the cost-effective solid-state drives are only 120 or 240 gigabytes. Not even enough space for ten games.

I remain very intrigued by the NX and consider myself a potential customer, but there are a ton of technical issues that Nintendo will have to struggle through. And they've never been the best at looking to the future on these things. Keeping my fingers crossed though.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's only two things that could possibly make me want this: backwards compatibility with 3DS and WiiU games and no region locking. Neither of those things are looking promising. Looks like another skipped Nintendo generation for me.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Really excited about this! A superpowered PSP equivalent by Nintendo? Sign me up!

The 3DS is a great machine on the go, but it's starting to mark it's age in performance and screen resolution. Making it baased on the Tegra platform could be great news for developers, as they've already got the tools out for Android games.

Don't know what people that expected Nintendo to compete with ps4/xbone have been smoking? The rumours have all talked about a portable first platform for years now.

If there is a docking station for this to hook up to your TV, I'm all for it. Honestly, that's how i believe we'll all be using our smartphones/tablets instead of desktops/laptops in the future. Hell, there are Ubuntu phones coming out now with that in mind already. But Nintendo could be a decade too soon with that idea to be appealing to the mass market.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After seeing this, I'm not sure this will be a good idea. If that design is to be believed, all the games will have to be designed with only one analog input, so most shooters are already DOA on this thing. So right off the bat Nintendo is making it clear that the NX isn't actually for people who like games in general so much as it will be a Nintendo game machine, which was why the Wii U struggled and is a failure despite having great 1st party games on it. If Nintendo comes out at launch with a service to play its' back catalog of games, that would help this situation, but right now this whole thing seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding of what the issues with the Wii U were.

With all the buzz surrounding Nintendo since Pokemon Go!'s launch, this would've been a great time to get out in front of gamer's and the general public and really re-energize their platform. People will be very interested to see this thing and there will probably be a good amount of buzz. But when people are looking for multi-platform games to buy and the ones they want to play aren't coming to the NX because of how unique it is, they'll end up maybe being a little disappointed.

But, there is also the possibility that I'm wrong and that Nintendo is tapping into something really great. Selling this to parents could be potentially easier if it was pitched as the all in one, meaning mom or dad only has to get their son or daughter one thing to play their games on. Their is also potential for indie games to get a second chance on this thing, it could be argued that many smaller games only use a small subset of analog stick and buttons as inputs. For now, I'm going to try and reserve judgement, but it still seems like the NX has some explaining to do before I'm convinced Nintendo have something good on hand.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

This all seems very predictable and ambitious. I'm quite concerned about the storage and game price situation.

If Nintendo are going to use carts (memory cards), it would make sense but also be very costly. Just looking at retail prices, a 10 pack of BluRay discs costs around 10 bucks where as a single 32 gigabyte SD card costs about the same. Quick logic would suggest that this would increase the manufacturing costs of games by a factor of ten.

How big are the games on the NDS, PSP or even your phone? If we're going to get a portable console, people need to let go of comparing the device to ps4/xbox. You can get a 256GB SD card now for $80 from amazon, which would probably get you really far if the games marginally increase in size. And prizes on these things usually deep dive in time.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#83  Edited By isomeri

@guanophobic said:
    @isomeri said:

How big are the games on the NDS, PSP or even your phone? If we're going to get a portable console, people need to let go of comparing the device to ps4/xbox. You can get a 256GB SD card now for $80 from amazon, which would probably get you really far if the games marginally increase in size. And prizes on these things usually deep dive in time.

Well we know that the new Zelda will come out on this thing, so I think drawing comparisons to the 360 and PS3 at least is fair. I did some light googlin' and found that Wind Waker HD, which was still essentially a GameCube game, was 17GB. Breath of the Wild has been touted as the biggest Zelda game to date and it includes voice acting, so it's not silly to think that the game would nudge towards the 30GB mark.

Eighty bucks for a component is still extremely pricey, when you consider that 500GB hard-drives like the ones used in the PS4 and Xbox One retail for a quarter of that. If Nintendo wants to sell this thing at a reasonable price, let's say 300 £/€/$, and make a bit of profit, then a single component taking up a third of the manufacturing cost would make no sense whatsoever.

EDIT: Maybe they could have a hard-drive in the docking station and your games would live there. The NX itself would only have enough memory to keep a single game with you. It's fun to speculate, but I hope that their solution won't be too limiting when it comes to playing downloadable games.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By frustratedlnc

I don't buy their pitch. The Xbox 360 is 11 years old. We've seen a Wii with the capabilities of a GameCube, and a Wii U with the machinery of a 360 and now we're being told that the next step is on level...with a 360. Unacceptable. If Nintendo would have had the option to create the SNES in 1990, or produce a mobile Atari 5200, would they go with the latter? If you want to say you're out of the console business, and your new handheld can be run through a TV monitor, fine. But don't sell this to me as a console. That just sets my expectations and allows for a bigger disappointment. My dream for Nintendo is to develop as a third party. Seeing what kind of world they could build on a PC or VR would be amazing. I'm probably in the minority, but I don't play mobile games, or hand held games, so this has nothing for me.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I love my Wii U, and the features of this seem neat, but if it is not more powerful than the Wii U (Graphically and otherwise) when docked, then I'll be disappointed in this quite substantially. Which will make me sad.

I really hope they're getting a custom Tegra chip that is more powerful than the Tegra X1. I understand they need battery life, but there are so many more things that CPU/GPUs allow other than graphics.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri:We have no idea in what state the new Zelda game will be available on NX, or how long / resource intensive that game is. So drawing conclusions from a wind waker remaster isn't good enough. Still not convinced we're getting 10-15GB+ games on this thing at all. I think they're aiming more towards the sizes we're seeing most games on PSN/XBLA are.

Look at Mario Kart 8, how big was that? 4-5GB?

SD-cards seem to be Nintendos favorite for the past generations. If they're making a new handheld, I don't see that's changing. As they can leave it up to you to buy a bigger card if the internal one's not enough. Sure enough $80 is a lot, but I'm not saying Nintendo's buying them off Amazon, or that large cards.

@frustratedlnc: No one's pitched you anything, this is a rumour.

happy_chickens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bollard said:
    @geirr said:

..cartridge based? So will the best audio for the new Zelda be experienced on the WiiU? I'm fine with stylized graphics to compensate for lack of hardware but shitty audio gives me a headache. Interesting.

Not sure why it being cartridge based would impact the audio quality. The WiiU discs have a capacity of 25GB, so the purported 32GB size proprietary memory cards (cartridges) this will use have more storage space, not less, so I can't imagine them skimping on audio file size.

What this guy said, it's not using cartridges in the way we think of cartridges back in the day. It's basically a proprietary flash memory card, it's all just data, like the PS Vita Cards.

Vegitables

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will it sell? Thats the question

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#90  Edited By Aegon

Looking at the numbers for previous consoles and handhelds, it makes even more sense for them to go hybrid. Their home consoles have been trending downward since the beginning.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@hayt: The TEGRA is the most powerful mobile graphics card in the world, so yes it is quite good and better than the Wii U. It is possibly even about equivalent to the Xbox One and PS4 although definitely inferior to PS Neo and Project Scorpio.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From a content perspective I'm as fan. Every year a smattering of classics come out for the 3DS and the home console. On one platform all of Nintendo's games every year is actually pretty freaking sweet. That is assuming they don't continue with a separate handheld successor along with this hybrid, which would be confusing to me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I get something in between a Wii U and PS4/One in terms of sexy TFlops as a portable Hybrid I will sign up day one (outside of the price for it to be > 400 bucks).

The prospect of all in house development teams to support one console only makes this thing for me as a first and foremost PC gamer the most tempting console offering out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is stupid but I wish Nintendo would just make NX an Android/Nintendo hybrid phone, competing with tech giants like Samsung and apple is a death sentence but I would love to see how much sway they have with kids who only really buy phones for social media and games. If they could turn this whole mobile revolution into a future where real games have a place it would be the best outcome for everyone. Console gaming is a dead end for Nintendo, they have lost the "hardcore" to Sony who will ultimately loose it to PC. Eventually all (consumption focused) computing devices will collapse into the one thing we carry around with us so they might as well get on the bandwagon.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@raven10 said:

@hayt: The TEGRA is the most powerful mobile graphics card in the world, so yes it is quite good and better than the Wii U. It is possibly even about equivalent to the Xbox One and PS4 although definitely inferior to PS Neo and Project Scorpio.

Tegra X1 isn't even close to the PS4 in terms of raw power. It's powerful compared to other mobile chips but that's not really saying much.

jigglemaster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why dont they just made a normal console fml

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#97  Edited By Rebel_Scum

@brendan said:

From a content perspective I'm as fan. Every year a smattering of classics come out for the 3DS and the home console. On one platform all of Nintendo's games every year is actually pretty freaking sweet. That is assuming they don't continue with a separate handheld successor along with this hybrid, which would be confusing to me.

They say in the article they are concentrating on one platform apparently.

I'm meh to the idea of this console but lets see how the execution is. Most people are pretty dismissive on new things but lets see how it pans out before signing the death certificate.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Nintendoes what Micros..houldn't. Besides, handhelds are where their paper is made and those mobiles are creeping up the back stairs.

laxbro19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By laxbro19

After thinking about this for a while, if there wasn't a back catalog service available at launch for this thing, I'd be shocked. The system seems primed for a pitch of having all your games, new and old, in the home and on the go. The system isn't running on anything approaching contemporary consoles, so Nintendo clearly isn't looking to compete on any kind of parity with the other manufactures. So if you/re not competative with fidelity, but your primed to run just about anything less than early gen PS4 games, then what else could you be doing than offering customers a platform that executes on something none of these other companies have. Nintendo's incredible and vast back catalog of games, that is what this system will be built to handle. The detachable controllers have only just enough buttons to map to anything from the 64 and backwards, giving NX a chance to share the experience with others. Probably the whole reason the controllers detach in the first place, to share. What better marketing tool to get people to buy this console and sign up with Nintendo than having a friend come over and see what the fuss is about without having to hookup a console to a tv to do so? With that said, if this service exists, the catalog can't skip a beat. They need to pull from everything, the home consoles and the portable library. The sheer number of Nintendo games and the social cache that the games have with not just the gaming populace but also mainstream America is something that no other console manufacturer can match. So if you were someone who is marginally attached to gaming and here's about all these new consoles, are you going to buy the Xbox and Playstation that play games and franchises you may not care about or are unfamiliar with, or are you going to buy the machine that plays darn near every game that you've heard of and has the flexibility and freedom to play them wherever you want?

Pitching this NX as a machine that is designed to handle cutting edge games that push boundaries is the wrong way to look at this. The NX is only just powerful enough to run a game like the Breath of the Wind and we still haven't seen that version. I'd be really worried if this was the way Nintendo pitched the console and only had a small virtual console. If Nintendo wants to compete again, it's time for them to take off the gloves. Their best asset is their back catalog, as is evident by the games people keep on buying and the remakes and remasters and sequels that people keep asking for but never getting. It's time for them to give people what they want, and not trying to pull an Apple and tell people what they want. They aren't that slick with making hardware but their games are an entirely different level of quality when they set their minds to it. So anything that leverages on the one advantage they still have is a must at this point.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

@mike: Well the rumors say it could be the next generation Tegra not the current model which is why I said that it was possible. If they use the current one then no, but the next generation version, if they use the 14 nm process used in the 1000 line of desktop cards definitely could. Using that process we saw a 50% performance improvement or more per watt over the last generation 900 chips. A Tegra that is 1.5x-2.0x more powerful than the current model would definitely come close to the Xbox One at least in terms of raw power and could possibly trump the PS4 in certain ways.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.