Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo Switch

Platform »

Nintendo's home console that can be turned into a portable device by removing it from its TV-dock. Launched worldwide on March 3, 2017.

Eurogamer have Nintendo NX leaks!

• 120 results
    Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Skinky

It would need Nvidia Tegra X2 to run the bulk of current 3P games, and VR effectively. X1 v PS4 comparisons show a gulf in quality. I think X1 is merely a placeholder, and that the final design will feature X2. I don't expect the dock to have any processing ability, so the supplemental device shown in a previous patent, seems likely down the line. I don't envisage Nintendo releasing this device until Q4 2018 with the release of a new AAA title. I see this device featuring sizeable storage, significant processing power which works in tandem with the X2, and the very latest network features required for Cloud processing. I see the on-board X2 being able to compress software data for the NX to carry.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@skinky said:

It would need Nvidia Tegra X2 to run the bulk of current games and VR effectively. X1 v PS4 comparisons show a gulf in quality. I think X1 is merely a placeholder, and that the final design will feature X2. I don't expect the dock to have any processing ability, so the supplemental device shown in a previous patent, seems likely down the line. I don't envisage Nintendo releasing this device until Q4 2018 with the release of a new AAA title. I see this device featuring sizeable storage, significant processing power, and the very latest network features.

Nintendo have already said that the NX will come out in March 2017. It's nice to want nice things, but given the history of Nintendo and their need to hit a low pricepoint with a screened device, it's hard to imagine that VR would be a thing or even processing power equivalent to current-gen consoles.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Skinky

@isomeri:

It would have to be. When I say "effective VR", I mean in the physical sense. Current platforms struggle already, this is why we are seeing revisions.

Rumours have suggested the delay to NX's release was in part because of VR inclusion.

Dutch site via Taiwanese site claiming sources on the component supply chain.

http://www.giantbomb.com/nintendo-nx-working-title/3045-157/forums/nx-might-facilitate-vr-games-with-news-sources-1797553/#1

I fully expect Nintendo to release a supplemental device for NX. Nintendo are no stranger to this concept.

I expect Nintendo VR will be great, and in the mold of Gear VR. The the artstyle of their games will be able to render easily at the refresh speed required for effective VR experiences. The lack of high textures in Nintendo games will actually work to its favour.

Have no doubt the NX screen is wearable. I totally expect the NX screen can be placed into a relatively cheap headset with motion sensors, (or a wrist holster for Pokemon Go and Animal Crossing). And that the two sides on the controller attachments snap together to create a new Nintendo control pad.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it has active cooling as dev kits are rumoured to use, and it's final design will feature X2, that suggests the X2 will be overclocked.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1254960

As long as it's on par with XB1 and PS4 using Pascal, I for one will be happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
    deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Seems obvious to me that Nintendo are jumping ship on consoles altogether, and are focusing on creating mobile experiences. It's a smart move, as the timing is about right for mobile gaming to get more serious. I think the NX could really usher in a new age where mobile gaming is taken more seriously than it has been so far (i.e. less "casual games" and more "real games, but mobile.") If that is successful, and the controllers/screen are good enough, it could be another Wii-level success for them. I'm cautiously optimistic about what could be coming. Hopefully they use a Tegra X2, though. That would be a much more capable device.

On the other hand, the negative stigma that comes with trying to usher in change could totally crush this thing before it even has a chance. Either way, I'm not counting it out yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

There's a new rumour from MCV UK which seems to back up the claims from the EuroGamer report.

Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and

a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

The firm has also been busy securing third-party support, with Sega, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros already on-board.

Sources close to Nintendo have told MCV that the firm is determined that NX will not suffer the same slow start as either the Wii U or 3DS.

The article also mentions that Nintendo's likely trying to go after the current Smartphone player and to get them to transition to console titles. I'm more excited about this prospect now especially under new leadership. I'm really curious to see which ideas where kept from when Iwata was President versus what Kimishima is planning to implement.

If there's a new Legend of Zelda, Super Mario and Pokemon game within 6 months of launch I can easily see the NX taking off quite quickly. I mean... they really aren't working on much else right now anyway. I imagine Pikmin 4 is likely also going to be NX, or possibly Wii U/NX too.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#107  Edited By ArtisanBreads

If your main goal is trying to get people who play games on a smartphone over to consoles.... good luck. I do not think that's the best goal. I do not see that transition happening really.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why cant they just make a game console without a focus on some controller gimmick. :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8907c9ada33
    deactivated-5f8907c9ada33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@artisanbreads: I don't think that's their main goal, but I can definitely see Nintendo making companion Smartphone apps for their main console games to help consumers buy into the idea. It would definitely fit with their whole consoles on the go thing.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@haz said:

@artisanbreads: I don't think that's their main goal, but I can definitely see Nintendo making companion Smartphone apps for their main console games to help consumers buy into the idea. It would definitely fit with their whole consoles on the go thing.

I see the whole NX as working around any "companion app" situation because you would just take the unit out itself. And they would have to be more welcoming to the mobile market than they have been. Yes they have dipped their toes in but I think Pokemon GO has created this idea that they are advanced there when it isn't' really the case for Nintendo.

I am not hating on the NX either. I think all their games on one console alone is a win. I just don't think this is a break through in that way. I don't see how that works.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is exactly what Nintendo need to do, get out the big guns. Super Mario, Zelda, Pokémon, will seal a successful launch. So will Beyond Good and Evil 2, if it's exclusive.

Interested to see what Activision and EA have, and whether the machine will get a new Bravely Default game within the first year.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@claybrez said:

why cant they just make a game console without a focus on some controller gimmick. :/

Becose then it would be better to just release the games on PS4.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claybrez: Every Nintendo console post SNES has had a controller gimmick. The analog stick and rumble packs were a gimmick. The wireless controllers were a gimmick. This is actually the least gimmicky console Nintendo has done in a while, if it really has no touch screen.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There may be feature reveals that are gimmicky, but the basic concept is purely attractive and user-friendly. Neo Geo X was a precursor to this, but what this will offer is destined to be better.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@haz said:

There's a new rumour from MCV UK which seems to back up the claims from the EuroGamer report.

Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and

a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

The firm has also been busy securing third-party support, with Sega, Square Enix, Ubisoft, Activision and Warner Bros already on-board.

Sources close to Nintendo have told MCV that the firm is determined that NX will not suffer the same slow start as either the Wii U or 3DS.

The article also mentions that Nintendo's likely trying to go after the current Smartphone player and to get them to transition to console titles. I'm more excited about this prospect now especially under new leadership. I'm really curious to see which ideas where kept from when Iwata was President versus what Kimishima is planning to implement.

If there's a new Legend of Zelda, Super Mario and Pokemon game within 6 months of launch I can easily see the NX taking off quite quickly. I mean... they really aren't working on much else right now anyway. I imagine Pikmin 4 is likely also going to be NX, or possibly Wii U/NX too.

New Pokemon game in six months of launch? That doesn't immediately fill me with confidence. With Sun/Moon out this year all signs would point to that being a spinoff game like Pokemon Stadium, since there are usually larger gaps before new entries in the main series. Unless it's the Pokemon Yellow to Sun and Moon's Red and Blue, but previously those have always been developed on the same engine as the first two iterations, and that wouldn't make sense with a console that is bound to be more powerful than the 3DS.

Asstruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retris said:

@claybrez: This is actually the least gimmicky console Nintendo has done in a while, if it really has no touch screen.

Not including touch would be an insanely bad decision.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nvidia have revealed the X2 chip...

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/08/22/parker-for-self-driving-cars/

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skinky said:

Nvidia have revealed the X2 chip...

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/08/22/parker-for-self-driving-cars/

That thing is very specifically geared towards cars (excuse the pun). Could they have developed a second gaming centred GPU in conjuncture, do you think?

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Skinky

@willza92:

I think it's possible. Nvidia must know that if this think takes off like the Wii, it will bring them ample profit, to put it mildly. Furthermore give them the platform to showcase what it can do for, other mobile devices. The in-car system wont be able to do that en-mass, it will only feature in luxury cars.

It would be needed for effective Vr, the X1 would not be able to provide that I think, not without assistance.

This chip could come with a later suplimentary devices seen in one of the patents.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#120  Edited By GundamGuru

You have to see what it is they're trying to do. Nintendo is attempting to bridge the Japanese market, which overwhelmingly plays handhelds and mobile, with the western market which massively prefers TV-based consoles. The only part of the puzzle they're missing is dumping the entire back catalog on the eShop as digital downloads to answer the inevitable backward compatibility question. They're probably going to have to do updated re-releases of the Wii U titles as the NX is likely too close in performance for software emulation to be fast enough.

What remains to be seen is if the hardware will be portable enough to succeed as a handheld while still being powerful enough to do well as a console (especially when it comes to 3rd party support).

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An eagle eyed reddit user has discovered advertising for the BotW Amiibo's has a date of 04/03/2017.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.