Game Informer Seems Really Sure Nintendo Will Debut a New Console at E3 2011

• 163 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Game Informer has received confirmation from “multiple sources” that the long-rumored HD successor to the Nintendo Wii is a real thing, and it’ll be revealed at E3 2011. Like, for suresies.

You’ve heard similar news like this before: critics, insiders, and secret sources have been predicting or even stating outright that Nintendo will debut a new HD-capable console at every E3 since John Davison first broke the rumor in 2008. His original story, while not gospel, jives with this rumor. At the time, Davison’s sources were stating that Nintendo was showing early presentations of the new console, and their guess as to the tech inside it were vague at best. GI is reporting that Nintendo is going to different publishers and showing off the console in an effort to drum up support for its eventual 2012 launch.

News on the tech, unfortunately, still isn’t incredibly specific, but GI believes the new Wii will spit out HD visuals and might not support the Wii remote that we’re used to, which is an interesting move on Nintendo’s part--dropping the controller (and by extension, the experience?) that gave its original device so much steam seems risky. Then again, the console’s sales have been drooping. 

Artist's interpretation of the new console. 

As for backwards compatibility or a storage solution, GI says nothing is confirmed on that front, but IGN, never to be outdone, claims that "additional sources" have confirmed full backward compatibility, and that the console will be revealed prior to E3 in a "pre-announcement." Well, color us "pre-intrigued."

Of course, Nintendo isn't saying anything definitive at this juncture--why would they?--so assume your “wait and see” position that you’ve been taking over the last three years. We know your knees must be awfully tired, but it seems an end is finally in sight.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -
Game Informer has received confirmation from “multiple sources” that the long-rumored HD successor to the Nintendo Wii is a real thing, and it’ll be revealed at E3 2011. Like, for suresies.

You’ve heard similar news like this before: critics, insiders, and secret sources have been predicting or even stating outright that Nintendo will debut a new HD-capable console at every E3 since John Davison first broke the rumor in 2008. His original story, while not gospel, jives with this rumor. At the time, Davison’s sources were stating that Nintendo was showing early presentations of the new console, and their guess as to the tech inside it were vague at best. GI is reporting that Nintendo is going to different publishers and showing off the console in an effort to drum up support for its eventual 2012 launch.

News on the tech, unfortunately, still isn’t incredibly specific, but GI believes the new Wii will spit out HD visuals and might not support the Wii remote that we’re used to, which is an interesting move on Nintendo’s part--dropping the controller (and by extension, the experience?) that gave its original device so much steam seems risky. Then again, the console’s sales have been drooping. 

Artist's interpretation of the new console. 

As for backwards compatibility or a storage solution, GI says nothing is confirmed on that front, but IGN, never to be outdone, claims that "additional sources" have confirmed full backward compatibility, and that the console will be revealed prior to E3 in a "pre-announcement." Well, color us "pre-intrigued."

Of course, Nintendo isn't saying anything definitive at this juncture--why would they?--so assume your “wait and see” position that you’ve been taking over the last three years. We know your knees must be awfully tired, but it seems an end is finally in sight.
#2 Posted by Onisama (44 posts) -

Sooo... Skyward Sword, made for the Wii "1", will be the flagship first party title for the Wii HD? BLAH.

#3 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

"Hey baby, I've got an HD Wii right here." -Michael Pachter

#4 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -
#5 Posted by Aaron_G (1611 posts) -
@Onisama said:
" Sooo... Skyward Sword, made for the Wii "1", will be the flagship first party title for the Wii HD? BLAH. "
If that would happen like it did with Twilight Princess I would laugh. 
#6 Posted by gabha (354 posts) -

This is the first time I think that this seems more than likely.

#7 Posted by HarkinNecro (81 posts) -

been disappointed with what has come out on the Wii, so might give this one a miss.

#8 Posted by isles (232 posts) -

Essential.

#9 Posted by Kornkaos (46 posts) -

They'll have to, even though the console sold i'm pretty sure game sales and attach rates on the wii are probably awful hah =P

#10 Posted by neoepoch (1293 posts) -
@Onisama said:
" Sooo... Skyward Sword, made for the Wii "1", will be the flagship first party title for the Wii HD? BLAH. "
Sounds probable.
#11 Posted by Cheapoz (1064 posts) -

HD Wii with a Wiimote genuinely sounded interesting. But what the hell will this offer if it goes head to head with 360/PS3?

#12 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2310 posts) -

I don't want to have to think about buying a new console next year, but God damn if it wouldn't be an awesome E3 if this were unveiled.

#13 Posted by ajamafalous (11848 posts) -

Is that a smiley face button?

#14 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

That's cool I guess.

#15 Posted by 71Ranchero (2675 posts) -

It will be called "Nintendo Wii-D" or Wii-Dii.

Calling it.
#16 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@Atramentous: Wouldn't "H-Dii" be a better fit?
#17 Posted by afrokola (547 posts) -

"IGN, never to be outdone," ha ha ha ha!! When you're right, you're right!

#18 Posted by Amtiskaw (59 posts) -

Full backwards compatibility, might not support the Wii Remote.

I'm fairly certain one these rumors will be proven false.

#19 Posted by RampageAssassin (416 posts) -
#20 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I want one now.

#21 Posted by IronScimitar (479 posts) -

Here we go....Impress me Nintendo.

#22 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

I'll get the same satisfaction from just getting that drawing. I kid.

#23 Posted by MrCHUP0N (244 posts) -

WILL I BE ABLE TO DOWNLOD VARIUS DOWNLODEBLE VIDEOGAMES!? I AINT GETIN OFF THE TRAIN, CHOO CHOO! *sputter... wheeze...*

#24 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -

Called it.

Maybe not first, but I still called it.  Which is to say, if you called it, I didn't see you call it before I called it, so when I called it, I was first in my mind to say that I had called it.

Plus there's no way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you called it before I called it, but I am here, stating with full authority that I did indeed call it.

#25 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2484 posts) -
@Chrono_Defying_Ninja said:
" cool "
inorite
#26 Posted by ZmillA (2260 posts) -

this e3 is sounding better and better

#27 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -
@IronScimitar said:
" Here we go....Impress me Nintendo. "
#28 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

Hope Nintendo delivers with this one. Working online mode for something like Super Smash Brothers would be nice.

#29 Posted by Wes899 (2107 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" @Atramentous: Wouldn't "H-Dii" be a better fit? "
#30 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

Okay.

#31 Posted by CommodoreGroovy (548 posts) -

Oh snap!  E3 is just around the corner too. =O

#32 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

So are they going to be doing the same thing to Zelda: Skyward Sword that they did to Twilight Princess? That would be hilarious and also really sad. 

#33 Posted by Chindie (192 posts) -

I did read somewhere a while back that gossip had started to knock around that ATI was at work on a new bit of hardware for a new Ninty console.

It's not the hardest rumour to pull from your arse though, really. The Wii is a 5 year old console with a 9 year old skeleton, and sales are going through the floor. It makes sense for Nintendo to push something new sharpish.

Be interesting to see their direction with it. It needs to blow peoples socks off on a level beyond the Wii - cos 'waggle' doesn't cut it anymore.

#34 Posted by 71Ranchero (2675 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
" @Atramentous: Wouldn't "H-Dii" be a better fit? "
No, it doesn't have Wii in it.

They havent said so yet but I think its going to be pretty much a safe bet that this console will be 3D capable and they will promote that over "HD". HD is not a Nintendo word.
#35 Edited by Ramone (2959 posts) -
@RampageAssassin: So the control for their new console is going to have better graphics than their hadheld platform. I don't think that's gonna happen personally. But then, I ain't a doctor.
#36 Posted by IronScimitar (479 posts) -

I hope it has an N64 slot.

#37 Posted by bko (131 posts) -

Love the picture. One day in the future, we'll all look back on the day Nintendo introduced the world's first wired motion controller and set forth on one seriously violent downfall.

#38 Posted by hagridore (500 posts) -

I'm actually the guy who bought a Wii in 2010. Call me crazy, but I wasn't interested in it till the 3rd party devs finally figured the system out and started making great games.

#39 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2376 posts) -

It makes sense, the wii was never intended to be an experience that will be looked back on fondly. Eventually we'll see it less as innovation and more as  another platform. Assuming we haven't already done that.

#40 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2310 posts) -
@RampageAssassin said:
" There are also rumours the Wii Remote will have a inbuilt HD screen. http://bit.ly/fP4PLx "
Okay, if they have a VMU in that thing, I am camping out for it.
#41 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

I approve of the console drawn in the picture. 

As for the name Nintendo Wii-D it wouldnt work 'cause everyone would just call it "Nintendo Weed".
#42 Posted by Vaile (355 posts) -

And so Nintendo enters the year 2005.

#43 Posted by bslayer (221 posts) -

wonder how much it will cost?

#44 Posted by RYNO9881 (625 posts) -

Awesome.

#45 Posted by Levio (1783 posts) -
Nintendo already stated their next platform will have a radical new feature.

Unless these people can even hint at what this new feature is, they're probably just fishing for readers.
#46 Posted by go_diego_go (34 posts) -

Nintendo is going to do what Nintendo does.  

Come up with an idea so out of the box no one understands what the hell the point of it is.  Then make up a demo or two, somehow making everyone go absolutely gaga about the system while still not knowing what the hell it is.  Then sit back and collect piles upon piles of money.
#47 Edited by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Sounds like it could be a exciting E3

#48 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Would be interested in a 250 or 300 dollar HD-Wii with backwards compatibility.  I would pay up to 400 if it was more powerful than the PS3.

#49 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4283 posts) -

Does it come with any fun?

#50 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

My personal opinion is that if Nintendo does this, which I hope they will, Microsoft will follow suit.  I'm not saying that MS has their next console ready to go or anything, but they'll do like Sony did with the Move two years ago with regards to Kinect, and have it standing by just in case shit does, in fact, get real.  If Nintendo and Microsoft announce their next consoles at this E3, that will be insane.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.