Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo

Company »

Nintendo was founded in Kyoto, Japan in 1889 as a manufacturer of hanafuda playing cards. The company went through several small niche businesses before becoming a video game company.

The Big N, the Red Three and the HD: Why Nintendo's Staying Ahead

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Edited By Jensonb

Ah Nintendo...How the times have changed. When I was a kid, I was raised on a strict diet of PlayStation (later PlayStation2) and admired your systems from afar, until I got into the portable gaming scene with your delightful Game Boy Advance. And I'm crazy, so I only ever had that first one. The ridiculously hard to see one. But I ADORED it. Mario Kart: Super Circuit? I played the shit out of that. Eventually the damn battery died and so the Save stopped working.

Since then, I've been on your portables team pretty much nonstop. A true believer. But not until the early info about the Wii did I really get onboard with your home consoles. I had a GameCube, but I got it long after the PlayStation2 and never really used it much.

But it struck me recently that since the DS, you've been hitting nothing but home runs. The Wii is a revelation, and the 3DS...Jeez, I'm obsessed with the damn thing. I can't get mine until a week tomorrow and damn, I cannot wait.

But that's all background. Here's the thing. Recently, rumours about the successor to the hugely successful Wii have begun to leak out. Essentially, it's going to be HD, it's going to be powerful and it's going to evolve Motion Control beyond PlayStation Move. And I have Move. Move is great. Wii does some parts better, but there are undeniable advantages to Move from a technical level. Outdoing Move is a big deal.

The rumours also have it that this "Project Cafe", whatever it winds up being called, will come out in 2012 - possibly as early as July but maybe around November. In either case, it seems inconceivable that Big N will not get the jump on Sony and Microsoft by at least two, realistically three to four, years. At first blush, this seems like a bad idea -  didn't do Dreamcast any favours - but then times have changed.

We're in a Post-Generational Video Games Market now. Sony and Microsoft decided that they wanted a ten year cycle this generation. They want to get by by iterating for a decade and leave off the next big leap. They never told Nintendo and Apple. Nintendo and Apple have decided the future is iterating in a different way. Every now and then we have a big leap forward like 3DS over DS Series, but  it still says DS and it still looks like a DS. Nintendo are iterating, but their making bigger leaps faster.

Likewise, Apple release new iPhones, iPod touches and iPads every year, keeping things fresh. And they, like Nintendo, add new functionality through software updates and making Apps available in online stores. The hardware upgrades are substantial. Today's iPhone 4 makes the original iPhone of 2007 look positively archaic. Today's PlayStation 3...Arguably less impressive than 2006's model - in hardware anyway. Think about that.

Suddenly, getting the next generation of home games consoles underway early starts to look like the Coup de'Grace of the modern gaming era. Nintendo will leapfrog the ageing PlayStation 3 and the nearly archaic - saved form such a fate only by MIcrosoft's own interpretation of the iterating culture - Xbox 360. The problem is, whilst they've both done a lot to capitalise on the modern fashion to iterate to keep their consoles fresh, they miscalculated how to do battle with Nintendo: they're simply too far behind, because Nintendo designed the Wii to die off faster. This has a lot to do with the fact they never saw Nintendo coming. They planned to do battle with each-other.

What that means is Nintendo can make a big leap forward NOW, as the market leader, whilst their competition - already struggling to provide an answer to the Wii, and only just beginning to - must wait. Which means Nintendo is the Leader of the Pack. Nintendo have performed an end-run around the Sony/Microsoft extended generation by essentially saying "iterating is not a replacement for generation change, it's part of it". They'll get a boost over the current hardware from their rivals, and ride that wave and the support it will earn them from the hardcore until the next set of machines from Sony and Microsoft drop.

Then they'll iterate. They'll put out a smaller, cheaper Project Cafe. Suddenly, it's this generation all over again.

The handhelds are going the same way - it's a little bit of history repeated. Nintendo have made a considerable leap forward with 3DS after the iterations of DS. Sony, meanwhile, has been iterating the PSP for almost as long, and as yet is still working on their successor, NGP. Nintendo have got the drop on their rival. 3DS torches the PSP graphically. The NGP isn't out for a while, but it it'll be ahead of the 3DS graphically - sort of. It's not as clear cut, because 3DS has the bonus of 3D.

But Sony haven't learnt their lesson properly. Whilst they've fixed the niggles of the PSP, what they haven't done is demonstrated that they have an answer to Nintendo's innovation. Yeah, they added a touchscreen (And, unaccountably, a touch-sensitive back plate) and some motion control but...Well, iOS has all that. Portable Consoles need to do something beyond phones to show their worth. 3DS has a bevy of Social Features and unique experiences. NGP so far looks like having...PS3 Ports.

Like the PSP had PS2 Ports. But the NGP might also get - shock shock gasp gasp - iOS and Android Ports! But who the hell cares? Remember what I said about unique experiences?

Sony doesn't get it. The DS beat them because there's nothing else like the DS. The 3DS will beat them because there's nothing else like it. The NGP can fundamentally only be home to experiences born elsewhere - at least for the most part.

And so it is that, looking ahead, I see Nintendo on top for quite some time to come. The simple fact is, they've engineered the market to their advantage in home consoles simply by being contrary - and their competitors got blindsided and look like they're about to be again. And in portables, well...The old adage still rings true: nobody else can make a portable console like a Nintendo. So the NGP will come out, and it'll do fairly well for itself but...

Nintendo, with their 3DS and their Project Cafe...They're still the king. Remember: The winner of the home console generation usually wins for two consecutive generations. Nintendo won with NES and SNES. Sony won with PS1 and PS2. Now Nintendo's won with the Wii...So they're due to win again next time.
    Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Jensonb

Ah Nintendo...How the times have changed. When I was a kid, I was raised on a strict diet of PlayStation (later PlayStation2) and admired your systems from afar, until I got into the portable gaming scene with your delightful Game Boy Advance. And I'm crazy, so I only ever had that first one. The ridiculously hard to see one. But I ADORED it. Mario Kart: Super Circuit? I played the shit out of that. Eventually the damn battery died and so the Save stopped working.

Since then, I've been on your portables team pretty much nonstop. A true believer. But not until the early info about the Wii did I really get onboard with your home consoles. I had a GameCube, but I got it long after the PlayStation2 and never really used it much.

But it struck me recently that since the DS, you've been hitting nothing but home runs. The Wii is a revelation, and the 3DS...Jeez, I'm obsessed with the damn thing. I can't get mine until a week tomorrow and damn, I cannot wait.

But that's all background. Here's the thing. Recently, rumours about the successor to the hugely successful Wii have begun to leak out. Essentially, it's going to be HD, it's going to be powerful and it's going to evolve Motion Control beyond PlayStation Move. And I have Move. Move is great. Wii does some parts better, but there are undeniable advantages to Move from a technical level. Outdoing Move is a big deal.

The rumours also have it that this "Project Cafe", whatever it winds up being called, will come out in 2012 - possibly as early as July but maybe around November. In either case, it seems inconceivable that Big N will not get the jump on Sony and Microsoft by at least two, realistically three to four, years. At first blush, this seems like a bad idea -  didn't do Dreamcast any favours - but then times have changed.

We're in a Post-Generational Video Games Market now. Sony and Microsoft decided that they wanted a ten year cycle this generation. They want to get by by iterating for a decade and leave off the next big leap. They never told Nintendo and Apple. Nintendo and Apple have decided the future is iterating in a different way. Every now and then we have a big leap forward like 3DS over DS Series, but  it still says DS and it still looks like a DS. Nintendo are iterating, but their making bigger leaps faster.

Likewise, Apple release new iPhones, iPod touches and iPads every year, keeping things fresh. And they, like Nintendo, add new functionality through software updates and making Apps available in online stores. The hardware upgrades are substantial. Today's iPhone 4 makes the original iPhone of 2007 look positively archaic. Today's PlayStation 3...Arguably less impressive than 2006's model - in hardware anyway. Think about that.

Suddenly, getting the next generation of home games consoles underway early starts to look like the Coup de'Grace of the modern gaming era. Nintendo will leapfrog the ageing PlayStation 3 and the nearly archaic - saved form such a fate only by MIcrosoft's own interpretation of the iterating culture - Xbox 360. The problem is, whilst they've both done a lot to capitalise on the modern fashion to iterate to keep their consoles fresh, they miscalculated how to do battle with Nintendo: they're simply too far behind, because Nintendo designed the Wii to die off faster. This has a lot to do with the fact they never saw Nintendo coming. They planned to do battle with each-other.

What that means is Nintendo can make a big leap forward NOW, as the market leader, whilst their competition - already struggling to provide an answer to the Wii, and only just beginning to - must wait. Which means Nintendo is the Leader of the Pack. Nintendo have performed an end-run around the Sony/Microsoft extended generation by essentially saying "iterating is not a replacement for generation change, it's part of it". They'll get a boost over the current hardware from their rivals, and ride that wave and the support it will earn them from the hardcore until the next set of machines from Sony and Microsoft drop.

Then they'll iterate. They'll put out a smaller, cheaper Project Cafe. Suddenly, it's this generation all over again.

The handhelds are going the same way - it's a little bit of history repeated. Nintendo have made a considerable leap forward with 3DS after the iterations of DS. Sony, meanwhile, has been iterating the PSP for almost as long, and as yet is still working on their successor, NGP. Nintendo have got the drop on their rival. 3DS torches the PSP graphically. The NGP isn't out for a while, but it it'll be ahead of the 3DS graphically - sort of. It's not as clear cut, because 3DS has the bonus of 3D.

But Sony haven't learnt their lesson properly. Whilst they've fixed the niggles of the PSP, what they haven't done is demonstrated that they have an answer to Nintendo's innovation. Yeah, they added a touchscreen (And, unaccountably, a touch-sensitive back plate) and some motion control but...Well, iOS has all that. Portable Consoles need to do something beyond phones to show their worth. 3DS has a bevy of Social Features and unique experiences. NGP so far looks like having...PS3 Ports.

Like the PSP had PS2 Ports. But the NGP might also get - shock shock gasp gasp - iOS and Android Ports! But who the hell cares? Remember what I said about unique experiences?

Sony doesn't get it. The DS beat them because there's nothing else like the DS. The 3DS will beat them because there's nothing else like it. The NGP can fundamentally only be home to experiences born elsewhere - at least for the most part.

And so it is that, looking ahead, I see Nintendo on top for quite some time to come. The simple fact is, they've engineered the market to their advantage in home consoles simply by being contrary - and their competitors got blindsided and look like they're about to be again. And in portables, well...The old adage still rings true: nobody else can make a portable console like a Nintendo. So the NGP will come out, and it'll do fairly well for itself but...

Nintendo, with their 3DS and their Project Cafe...They're still the king. Remember: The winner of the home console generation usually wins for two consecutive generations. Nintendo won with NES and SNES. Sony won with PS1 and PS2. Now Nintendo's won with the Wii...So they're due to win again next time.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DonPixel

what a lame piece of fanboyism writting.. it´s like gamespot system wars all over again, Do a favor and go away. 

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mnzy

"Stay" ahead? Ok.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Wow.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By McGhee
    @Jensonb: 
    Reggie, is that you?
    jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jking47

3d does not mean that the 3DS will be near the NGP graphically

3d is the devil.

(3D gives me headaches, so screw everything trying to be 3D. its annoying)
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scooper
    @Jensonb said:
    "Now Nintendo's won with the Wii...So they're due to win again next time.
    "
    Nintendo hasn't won shit with the Wii. It's a piece of garbage.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Evilsbane

Wow could you stroke Nintendo's dick any harder? I like Nintendo to but Jesus man. The Wii is a revelation? What with its couple of AAA First party titles and its Metric Ton of Shovel ware? And slowly its third party support is drying up as sales finally level out because the system is underpowered. It has some decent games but it won because Nintendo marketed to a different audience and it paid off.  

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

Tell 'em son. Half these dwits would have a heart attack if you took away their precious dual analog controllers. With my Wii, I found innovation, immersion and a fun factor I've never felt with a home console before. Thus, Sony and Microsoft trying to play catch up when it comes to new ways to play video games.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By galiant
    @Jensonb: Nintendo leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I'm not part of their target audience anymore which makes me feel that there are many things lacking with most everything Nintendo puts out, none of it is for me. They have all these gimmicks going on while they're still behind the other consoles and their software in so many aspects. You know what I'm talking about, HD, HDD, anything online, trophies/achievements...the way they handle some of these things just feels so dated and weird. With my PC, PS3 and iPhone I get everything I want out of games today and I wish Nintendo would just either evolve or die and make room on the market for the stuff I enjoy. But hey, that's not how the world works. I'm afraid that if they continue to do so well, I will become part of a minority gaming audience and games will move in a direction I really don't want them to when everyone tries to emulate Nintendo's success.

I'm 23 now, raised by Donkey Kong and Mario but I've grown up and come to accept that Nintendo is for kids, nostalgic people and people who generally don't play a lot of games. I'm just not part of that group.

I think I'll continue this in a blog somewhere so this doesn't derail.
    pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By pr1mus

I tried, but couldn't make it past the half way point of this post. Brainwashed mush? Fanboys are a nuisance at best with retarded claims and at worst they waste peoples times with garbage post like this. Like Nintendo all you want, i ain't got no problem with that but don't talk about it as if it was the second coming.

Edit: Damn made it to the end of the post and it managed to get even worst! Not brainwashed...  braindead! 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

Bit of a heavy handed blog, don't you think?

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Cincaid

Since I was born in '82 (yes, I'm old) my genuine interest for Nintendo died around '95 when I got tired of my SNES. I own a Wii with a handful of games, and I can honestly count on one hand how many times I've used it.

I'm not saying Nintendo's next-gen (?) console won't sell amazing numbers. I guess I'm just saying that I outgrew Nintendo long ago.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead

It was a good day for this site when jensonb stopped posting on the boards; now I remember why.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By WalkerTR77

In the spectrum of games I might actually want or enjoy, the wii has pretty much none of them so I don't own one. I'd be game for getting my hug on in a boy and his blob but that's about it.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By FourWude

Shittendo can go suck on a willdo. Casual ass trash. 

As for Nintendo winning, I didn't even know they were playing the same game. I thought they had given up and were churning out flash games to teen girls and "fitness" videogames to housewives that attend weight watchers. That shit ain't gamer. 

It ain't leapfrogging shit with its next console, it's merely deciding to, maybe, enter the gaming foray once again, cause it wants a piece of the hardcore pie, but it ain't getting none of it. Nintendo burned its bridges and now it's left without a paddle up shit creek in hillbilly country. Squeal like a piggy Ninty.

Shiiiiiiit, bitches comin' in here and giving it all that.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pr1mus
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " It was a good day for this site when jensonb stopped posting on the boards; now I remember why. "
    Haha Daria's face goes so well with what you said! I like it:D
    Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Kjellm87

So far most comments here calling OP fanboy and people who are apparently too old for Nintendo now.
    If his logic is so full of holes, then why don't you guys go in more detail to why you don't agree,
    you know, to get a discussion going on the forum.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I guess being passionate about a game company is a bad thing on a games forum? That said, I don't see why you guys are trololling so hard, jenson argues for his points unlike you. The PSP was a failure for essentially the reason he stated: they were slightly-worse-looking and casualised PS2 games with one analog stick, so it does nothing that isn't done better on Sony's home consoles. DS is a much better system than the PSP, and I don't see that changing with the 3DS and PSP2.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By sins_of_mosin

No argument that the DS and probably the 3DS will stomp on Sony but hey, its Sony so what you going to expect with handhelds?  However, the Wii is not ahead of the other consoles.  Its quite clear that the wiimote is very limited in what types of games you can play and play well.  It was succesful because it didn't take skill to play a game, you just had to move your arm a bit and that was it.  No wonder all the seniors liked it, they didn't have to understand the game, just wave wave wave!!! weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Until Nintendo makes a console that can handle every type of game, they will be niche brand.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @Jensonb: 
    Reggie, is that you?
    "
    lol

He makes a couple of good observations.
    Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#22  Edited By Valkyr

The Wii 2 will basically be the Dreamcast of the next generation, publishers will drop third party support because the PS4 and the 720 will blow our socks off with their graphics and hardcore gamers are already attached to Sony and/or MS for their exclusives and trophies/achievements, which will surely carry over to the next system. In conclusion, we get 1 or 2 years of multiplatform games with better resolution, framerate and AA, the usual Mario, Metroid, Zelda games and then no third party software because everyone will go bananas when the Uncharteds/Killzones or the Gears/Halos start showing up on the other systems.

thebobster10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By thebobster10

Damnnn. Some of you guys are fucking feisty. Calm your cocks.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By spankingaddict

Honestly, I'm a big fan of Nintendo's hardware. But the games!!!!!!! They need more unique, fresh franchises! Come on Nintendo!

@Jensonb: I do agree with most of your points.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By McGhee
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " @Jensonb: 
    Reggie, is that you?
    "
    lol

He makes a couple of good observations.
    "
    Yeah, but I couldn't resist the joke anyway. :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.