Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

Is this 3D Starbound? or SpeedTree for planets?

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is this 3D Starbound? or SpeedTree for planets? (78 votes)

3D Starbound 17%
    SpeedTree for planets 29%
    Nobody knows yet 54%

I'm not trying to be reductive, but it seems like a much prettier 3D Starbound, but with no gameplay?

No Man's Sky seems more analogous to SpeedTree than to a game, like for example, I would love the new Mass Effect to be powered by 'No Man's Sky' technology.

If I'm completely wrong please correct me, I'm genuinely asking not being a dick :)

• 
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

What do you mean by no gameplay?

masterrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By masterrain

@beachthunder said:

What do you mean by no gameplay?

That's what I'm asking, what is the game? Like in Starbound you mine minerals to make equipment, find loot on planets, explore underground, build bases etc.

That's why I'm saying this game seems more like 'tech'. If Minecraft used 'No Man's Sky' tech, then it would be 3D Starbound.

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HeyGuys

I have no idea but what I've heard about the game play isn't inspiring to me. A mine craft-esque game just isn't my thing.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose SpeedTree just because I loved the video where they first went and interviewed the guy demoing it at GDC 2010.

But also because SpeedTree for Planets (SpeedPlanets) is super dumb and I love it.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It will be a game (eventually), not a toolset for other games. Looking at the graphics of this game I think the terrain is definitely not made of polygons, but some voxel like technique (because you can shoot holes in stuff as well), so that would not apply to most games anyway.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@capum15 said:

But also because SpeedTree for Planets

You mean Span-It Planet?

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm inclined to think that right now it's kinda just SpeedTree for planets, and they're working out what the gameplay is going to be other than walking around and discovering procedurally generated species and finding procedurally generated abandoned/crashed ships or whatever.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

SpeedPlanet! YES.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

They've been saying that it's a dogfighting game, so I think it's neither. I don't think anybody knows yet (I kinda doubt that even the developers do).

Jazz_Bcaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The devs say they want the game to feel like early Minecraft, where no one had any idea what recipes were, or what they were doing, which is why they're being deliberately hush on the actual gameplay loops. Could be anything, but it looks like it's down to discovering resources on planets, trading and also involves combat.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

The devs also mentioned in an interview with Gamespot that the game will not be about building so that throws most Starbound comparisons out the window for me.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've been saying that it's a dogfighting game, so I think it's neither. I don't think anybody knows yet (I kinda doubt that even the developers do).

This, especially the bit in parenthesis. I think to this point they have only worried about making it look cool and now that it looks cool and has hype they are trying to make some kind of actual game out of it. Which is sort of the wrong way to do things and doesn't make me hopeful for the final product.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@karkarov said:

@audiobusting said:

This, especially the bit in parenthesis. I think to this point they have only worried about making it look cool and now that it looks cool and has hype they are trying to make some kind of actual game out of it. Which is sort of the wrong way to do things and doesn't make me hopeful for the final product.

Yeah, when they actually added goals and shit to Minecraft like way after the fact, it really didn't blow anybody's socks off. The coolest part of Minecraft was what it was at the very beginning: this block game where you can build whatever and go wherever you want.

I suspect No Man's Sky will be the same. It will deliver on this initial promise of generating a huge galaxy with a bunch of really pretty worlds to keep exploring and finding, but it won't surprise me if the actual gameplay they attach to that will be kinda middling.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.