Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

No Man’s Sky and the Concept of Om

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

Edited By Darth_Navster
    No Caption Provided

As a child, I was brought up in the Hindu faith. This religion, one of the oldest in the world and still widely practiced, is often misunderstood by outsiders. While Hindu concepts like yoga and the pantheon of gods have penetrated into Western culture, the actual practices and beliefs of Hinduism remain foggy at best. There’s a good reason for this. Given Hinduism’s ancient origins and the lack of a hierarchy, the religion has been interpreted in countless ways by a great many people. Even the so-called central tomes of Hindu belief, the Mahabharata and the Ramayana, are rarely read in full by adherents. The result of this history is that Hinduism tends to be a faith that is passed down verbally through the generations, and often you will see individual families or communities practicing their own form of the religion. Such was the case with my upbringing, in which I learned about Hinduism through stories that my mother and grandfather would tell me. But this was not enough to sustain my belief, and I found the certainty of science and civic institutions to be more comforting than old epics about Shiva and Lakshmi. I eventually became an Atheist, which remains my spiritual affiliation to this day.

No Man’s Sky has seemingly set the gaming world on fire with its recent release. The game, a sort of epic survival adventure, has players exploring planets for resources and treasure in order to continue their journey to discover more uncharted worlds. There are goals for players that prefer structure, but there’s just as much joy in staking out unguided and discovering wonders off the beaten path. There’s a breathtaking sense of scale to No Man’s Sky, one where it will take several real world minutes to reach the next planet or star system despite your spaceship travelling at fractions of light speed. Even the smallest planets and moons feel unfathomably massive when you pick a landing spot. What was a pale orb merely minutes ago now feels like the biggest thing ever conceived, of which you will only ever explore an infinitesimally small piece. This scale remains a constant reminder that you are the exact opposite of the hero of this story. Instead, you may as well be a dust mote on an elephant’s back, an insignificant little thing that will make no impact with your actions.

Om
    Om

For all the variances in Hindu beliefs, there are a few things that remain constant. Primary among these constants is "Om”. Om is many things; it’s a symbol commonly used to represent Hinduism analogous to Christianity’s Crucifix or Judaism's Star of David, it’s a mantra for focusing in meditative activities, and it’s a concept for what binds and governs the universe. It’s that third usage of Om that’s always spoke the most to me, even as I moved away from Hinduism as a whole. Om is meant to represent the highest plane of reality, of truth, of the universe as it is. Looking at it that way, aren’t the laws of physics merely a scientific description of Om? Of course, there are certain interpretations of Om that ascribe more fantastical elements to it, such as the concepts of souls and reincarnation. But at it’s most basic level, isn’t it just a flowery way of saying that our reality follows certain rules? Doesn’t it simply acknowledge our very human desire for connection and meaning in a cold, vast, and indifferent universe?

There’s been much discussion in the lead-up to the release of No Man’s Sky regarding its development process. In an industry where blockbuster games require hundreds of people working across continents, Hello Games managed to make their opus with about 15 people in a single studio. In an era where blockbuster games can be up to 100 gigabytes in size, No Man’s Sky installs at a paltry 6 gigabytes. In a market that demands dense lore, bespoke set pieces, and ever increasing feature lists, the game barely has a structure. The story of how this was possible has come down to two words: procedural generation. Rather than create an entire galaxy from scratch, the world of No Man’s Sky is created on the fly by programmed rules embedded in its code. In effect, the creation of this artificial galaxy is not all that different from the scientific and mythological explanations for the creation of our own universe. The code is, in essence, the Om of No Man’s Sky.

I can’t but help feel a strong spiritual streak running through No Man’s Sky. The considered pace of the gameplay, the reflective soundtrack, and the bits of story and lore, all emphasize the quiet wonder of creation. Of how between the numbers and science emerges something vast, beautiful, and seemingly unfathomable. Of how by exploring an insignificant part of it can feel like an act of worship. By mining elements, by creating technology, by documenting life, the game pushes us to reckon existence as a concept. We are compelled to think about the hows and whys of our universe on its most basic level, and by extension, to consider the hows and whys of our own spiritual frameworks.

Much has been discussed of whether No Man’s Sky is a “good” or “bad” game. Certainly, on typical rubrics there isn’t much present to call it all that compelling. The gameplay loop is repetitive and the planets aren’t as varied as people like. However, the game succeeds in using interactivity as a language to meditate on the concepts of creation, reality, spirituality, and science. It has encouraged me to consider parts of my spirituality I had not thought about in a long time, and has given me a better understanding of the faith I grew up in. It doesn’t excuse the technical and design shortcomings of No Man’s Sky, but perhaps the game was never concerned with simply being “good”. Maybe it’s focused on something greater.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Have you maybe looked in to buddhism?

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I have. Similar to a lapsed Jew not finding all that much new in Christianity, to me Buddhism doesn't really feel philosophically distinct from Hinduism. That's not surprising given the history of those religions, of course. I'm comfortable being an Atheist, but I still like to consider my spiritual philosophy from time-to-time. I'm glad No Man's Sky afforded me that opportunity.

Invo1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Invo1221

I appreciate you're perspective!

@jonny_anonymous: Really...? Maybe you're unaware of the numerous similarities that Hinduism and Buddhism share. The reverence of Om being one of them.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

More like the concept of om-mah-God-where-is-the-rest-of-the-game? :P

Seriously though it's cool you could find so much positivity from the game, when there's been So much negative backlash from people. I think it's great that this game could help you with your religious/spiritual beliefs and understanding!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invo1221: I am perfectly aware of the similarities between Buddhism and Hinduism, that's why I mentioned it. I asked beacuse it seems like it combines the atheism with the spirituality that @darth_navster might find interesting.

Invo1221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LeStephan

I am so glad there are people who are better with words than me, thanks duder, great read!

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I find the game exhilarating in a similar way. I acknowledge the game's flaws, but it also hasn't failed to provide a unique experience either. It scratches an itch in me the same way a hike through a new trail would. The sense of discovery and the quenching of the thirst of curiosity. It's one of the very few games to do that for me in a long time.

MeAuntieNora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By MeAuntieNora

Very interesting perspective, dude!

I guess that concept can sort of include everything, huh? Much as I appreciate being raised devoid of religion, I imagine even thermodynamics and particle physics kind of can't address what Om does. Or maybe they do, just in different ways, or among other things? In fact, I read that some believe "aum" was the first sound at the start of creation... Big Bang: New Box, Same Taste! I can definitely see the appeal of a fundamental, simple "truth" that applies universally. Personally, I get that from science, but I also respect that some people want something more. Knowing the diversity of Hinduism, there are even multiple different interpretations of Om. I'm guessing that could entail spiritual implications, or even complex metaphysics and other philosophies.

And HEY, there's still a place in culture for ancient epic poetry! I mean, not that I've read it either... I just have faith Kratos will get there some day.

kmfrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wow man, that's a beautiful piece of writing. It's almost like No Man's Sky itself... I found it incredibly engaging without fully understanding why that was. :-p

But yes, on a broad level, I think there is some kind of spiritual-like joy to be found in NMS. I'm sure there is one planet out there where all the elements work together in perfect harmony in a way that creates something absolutely awe-inspiring!

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sysyphus: After a game's been hyped to this extent for so long, I can't say I'm surprised about the negative backlash. I think it was kind of inevitable. To get a real consensus we're going to have to let the game sit in the public consciousness for a while to even out the extreme reactions we're seeing.

@lestephan: Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed it!

@mannymar: I'm right there with you. No Man's Sky may not completely succeed at what it's trying to do, but it's the only game that tries to do it.

@meauntienora: The way I've always looked at it is Om is the thing that arises from all the laws of our universe working together to create reality. I'm a very science and logic based person, so like you I get my fulfillment from that. I just see Om as a way to look at our universe holistically, and not as something to contradict science.

No reason to wait for Kratos, though. Asura tore his way through a part of the Hindu pantheon a few years ago. If you haven't played Asura's Wrath, definitely check it out.

@kmfrob: Haha thanks.Honestly I'm still trying to make heads or tails of my experience with the game. On one level I find it absolutely profound, on the other I find it absolutely boring. Like Jeff mentioned on the latest Bombcast, it's great when you pair it with another activity, like listening to podcasts or playing a clicker game (or two!).

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darth_navster: absolutely, especially with the Internet people lose their shit for two weeks and then everyone forgets about it. I can't say that the Devs aren't to blame for some of the backlash though. Not meaning to derail your thread here.

I was wondering would you consider that game company's games as exploring the concept of Om? They seem to elicit a sense of calm and tranquility, almost to a medatative state, throughout their gameplay. Maybe I have a misunderstanding of Om? Be interesting to hear your thoughts!

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sysyphus: That Game Company's output, I think, focuses on the power of reflection and meditation. Seeing as Om can been used in channeling a meditative state, it's more than reasonable to say that games like Journey and Flower help to explore it as a concept. I believe what No Man's Sky does differently in exploring Om is by reckoning with the full extent of creation. But that's just a matter of scale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a923fc7099e3
    deactivated-5a923fc7099e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see how a game like this can have a calming, almost meditative effect. I turn to Just Cause, Mad Max or even something like slither to scratch that itch. Just to zone out and do semi engaging stuff. I haven't had a game that made me feel connected with the universe or something like that though.

ominousbedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think this is the bit of the loop of NMS that I like. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it until now. Kudos on an interesting piece, it was a good read.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.