Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

No Man's Sky

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Aug 09, 2016

A procedurally generated space exploration game from Hello Games, the creators of Joe Danger.

What Will No Man's Sky retail for?

• 174 results
    ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I've been suspecting for a while now that we might end up seeing this game as a $60 disc. They would likely have to secure some sort of distribution partnership, my guess is Sony steps in and gets the game shipped on discs.

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I never actually thought about this until now. I was thinking it was going to retail for $60 like any AAA game. But good points of discussion from everyone. Personally though, I'm probably getting it no matter the price if it's good.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My initial reaction was $30-40.

I'd probably buy it even at $60 if it's good.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Guessing it will be 30.
    Or I guess, that is more what I think it will be worth.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#55  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I also agree that there's no one "right" pricing scheme, and I hope that we can get to a place where pricing models are more flexible and aren't forced to conform to a market norm.

This is a real dream of mine. I appreciate that pricing is a pretty complicated thing from a marketing/economics standpoint, but I really do wish we didn't box games up into the categories they live in today, which is something like Free, <5, <15, <30, <60. I'm not sure it benefits us to live in a world where there is even a concept of "Full Price Games", especially when the expectation is that those games need to be made by hundreds of people and cost a hundred million buckaroos or more. All games are "full priced"! Imagine if I asked you if the car you bought was "full price"? How nuts would that be...

Unfortunately the only way to get to this point is for a whole bunch of developers to get kicked in the face over prices. Makes me think of... hmmmmm what was that game where you blow up planets by throwing other planets at it? Wasn't it 80-100 bucks at one point on Steam? Planetary Annihilation I think. Like, it sucks because I can't afford a 100 dollar game, but it shouldn't cause a revolt that anyone wants to price a game like that. We shouldn't have this idea of POSSIBLE MAXIMUM PRICE for games.

It's really funny because Movies and TV are such an obvious counterpoint to what happens in games. Your movie ticket for How to Train A Dragon is going to cost the same as Fast 7 and as a Boy And His Pajamas ; How I Met Your Mother doesn't cost you more to watch than... I dunno. Once Upon a Time? It's as if people want Games to be treated like Cars or Houses. Even other software doesn't have these expectations. Database prices are maybe the best example of "charging what we can".

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Fredchuckdave

20 bucks unless Indie devs want to increase their prices again.

If it was a PC only game then it could be anything but it's only going to fall into a few different ranges on PS4.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

$30

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#58 chaser324  Moderator

20 bucks unless Indie devs want to increase their prices again.

I'm sure there probably are rumors being spread around the dark corners of the internet, but I'm pretty sure there's not a shadowy cabal out there that's setting prices for indie games.

It's really funny because Movies and TV are such an obvious counterpoint to what happens in games. Your movie ticket for How to Train A Dragon is going to cost the same as Fast 7 and as a Boy And His Pajamas ; How I Met Your Mother doesn't cost you more to watch than... I dunno.

It does feel like it should be a solid comparison, but if you really think about it, they are pretty different animals. Movies and TV are shot once and then are generally done forever, whereas video games are increasingly more of a service that changes over time. Movies and TV also have several opportunities to get more money without producing any additional content (rentals/purchases, streaming services, syndication, TV deals for airing movies). Games have DLC and microtransactions, but in most cases making significant money from those require either creating new content or straight up exploiting your customers.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@chaser324: On the consoles it's just a matter of what the customers expect, that changed rather smoothly from 15 to 20, it wouldn't surprise me if it changed from 20 to 30 in the future or something, though it would be rather surprising in this case. How many PS4 download only games are 40 bucks? On Steam the initial price makes little difference because the vast majority of the sales happen well after release.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have no idea how any of you got the impression that this would be anything other than a $60 game. Every time they've had a new trailer at big conference it gets the show closing spot. They don't lump it in with indie montages. They don't bury it or gloss over it. They treat it like a tent pole release and the audience treats it like the most anticipated game of the year. It's going to come in a box that you pay $60 for.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

tree fiddy

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish I saw this months ago I could have at least pointed out that the game is available in Canada for preorder on Best Buy and has been since last e3

Didn't realize any one would assume this was anything other than a $60($80 Canadian) game, was this ever announced as Digital only? Between how it's always been billed at events, the press it got, and the fact that it looked polished enough to warrant the "full game" price (as a side note I am having trouble calling a 60 dollar release anything other than "full game price" and as it's been pointed out in this thread isn't the best way to term it) I have always just thought it was a full retail release. I was actually quite surprised how many people responded with the price points they did.

I wonder if anyone's price point has changed after seeing that there is indeed shooting mechanics?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@ehbunner: Shaun (Sean?) said that they hadn't considered selling the game in anything other than in digital format.

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Interesting, I wonder if it's possible that someone at Best Buy Canada has made the same assumption that I and others have made or perhaps a lot of things have changed since Sony got on board?

I'll certainly be interested in seeing how this all pans out, I mean as far as I'm concerned it's a full retail product anything cheaper than that is good in my books!

Either way thanks for the information, always appreciate getting all the facts

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

I think it will be $40.

I'll gladly pay $60 because my urge to explore means this game is going to swallow me up more than most $60 games. Anything under is a bonus for me.

Also, for fucks sake, the game is procedurally generated, not "random."

The galaxy has been created, everyone experiences that same galaxy. There is a mathematical formula that generates the world. If someone else visited that same spot before you, the game would have generated that same world the same way. If they move something on the planet, the formula changes and when you visit it next, the world is generated by the new formula so that you see the thing they moved.

Nothing is "random." Everything is already there. It's just a matter of how the data is stored within a formula and how it's generated once you get there. That's what procedural generation is in No Man's Sky.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/reality-check-how-does-no-mans-sky-actually-work/2300-6420148/

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had always assumed it was a digital-only indie game, so I was expecting $20. That's about what I'd pay for it just to fly around and do what they've showed off so far. Procedurally generated content is rarely worth exploring, and there will have to be a limited number of objective types that repeat over and over. If they have some substantial campaign they haven't been talking about, then maybe I could see it being a full price release. Maybe I'm just jaded after playing Elite Dangerous, but I just don't want another open-world game that's entirely side-missions.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I assume and hope it will be a 60 game. People need to get over their bullshit hang ups and realize not only Call of Duty and Batman are "worth" "full price". Sony has been treating this game as big as any other, if not bigger. The price should reflect that.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By Cirdain

+40

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
    The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$40 would be more than fair in my eyes but I would happily pay $60.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazon has it as a full priced boxed release

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I imagine it'll be about $20-$30.

There's really not much to it, if all they have shown is all there really is. I have this strange feeling that this is the case.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Its Minecraft, for all intents and purposes. 20 bucks.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would buy it for 60€, even if it lacks replayability. Just for the fact that a new developer has the guts to try something big like this in a world full of Call of Battlecreeds.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mike

@jay_ray said:

Amazon has it as a full priced boxed release

I wouldn't put too much stock into that. It looks like a generic mock-up, there isn't even a Rating Pending on there one sees with other prerelease games. It even says Only on PlayStation when we know that it's coming to PC via Steam.

No Caption Provided

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought it would be either a $40 Downloadable or a $60 retail game. Didn't really think about it.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By sravankb

Oh man - people are hyping this up way, way too much.

Especially considering that we barely know what you can do in the game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77  Edited By Justin258

I have no idea how any of you got the impression that this would be anything other than a $60 game. Every time they've had a new trailer at big conference it gets the show closing spot. They don't lump it in with indie montages. They don't bury it or gloss over it. They treat it like a tent pole release and the audience treats it like the most anticipated game of the year. It's going to come in a box that you pay $60 for.

At least on PS4, this. It might be a bit cheaper on PC, but certainly not by much - maybe $50 US.

Those of you that are saying this will go for as little as $20, are you sure you're posting in the right thread? $20 games do not get several minutes of playtime on any stage, especially not two years in a row.

There's also the little nugget that this game is being made by a small team, for a smaller budget than most titles in the $60 range. Even if it doesn't sell like hotcakes, that could make for a really good profit. There's just no reason for them to charge any less than $60 when they can easily get away with it.

I'll be paying whatever price they set, I really want to play this for myself.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't strike me as something that'll see a physical release so I anticipate something lower than $60.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

$59.99 + tax

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By ajamafalous

I think most people will be taken aback if they try to charge more than $30.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $10-20.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I feel like it's going to be $60, but geez, I dunno that this game is worth $60 to me. Which, hey, that's fine. But I dunno. I'd feel a lot better about $40.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing about this strikes me as a small indie game. Its been in the Sony press conference at least twice! And it supposedly has this giant universe. I was expecting $60.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The way Sony has be pushing this game, I can't see them charging any less than full priced $60. They know they can get A LOT of people to buy it at that.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Dollar Bob.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The variety of comments in this topic so far is fascinating. For a game where almost nothing has been shown of the actual game, there sure are quite a few people already convinced it's worth $60.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#86 FinalDasa  Moderator

@mb said:

The variety of comments in this topic so far is fascinating. For a game where almost nothing has been shown of the actual game, there sure are quite a few people already convinced it's worth $60.

I came to that conclusion because of how big they tout this game will be and the number of times they've showed it off on a E3 stage. It's not tucked away in the indie titles like an add on you'll get while waiting for Uncharted 4. Then again, like you said, there is so little known about this game it's hard to tell. I don't get the juxtaposition that someone wouldn't pay $60 for it when we don't know enough about it. I'd rather expect to spend a normal amount on this and be surprised than the vice versa.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

£20, and free on ps+ within a year of release.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your soul.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Given that I'm still not entirely sure what this game is, I'm going to go the safe route and say $40. The nice, awkward middle ground between "smaller independent game" and "full retail release".

Alternate joke answer: All of your expectations when you realize that the scale of this game just means it's the modern incarnation of The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given that I'm still not entirely sure what this game is, I'm going to go the safe route and say $40. The nice, awkward middle ground between "smaller independent game" and "full retail release".

This is what I was getting at earlier when I said I found it fascinating how many people are convinced not necessarily that the game is going to cost $60, but that it's worth $60 - and they're ready to pay it.

I know I'm about as cynical about games as they come, but Hello Games has a long way to go before they convince me that No Man's Sky is actually worth buying. No matter what the cost. The idea and theory behind the game sounds incredible, and what little gameplay I've seen looks pretty good, now they just need to deliver.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

I'd guess $30, but from what I've seen I'd pay a max of $40.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#92  Edited By Sogeman

Since I'll have to get PS plus to actually get any of the exploration stuff like they intended, I hope it's not too expensive.

as much as I'm looking forward to this game, I don't think I'd pay 50 or 60€ for it. Especially considering the drop off in prices even on PSN after a month or 2.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Zella

To me it seems like 40 would be an alright price point for it. It seems like there is more systems in the game than what has been directly showed so far so I think they see it as more than simply a $20 digital release game. Would be awful hard to market it at $60 though, especially in countries like Canada where $60 games are now becoming $80 games.

I could see Sony using No Man's Sky as a proving ground for a kind of premium digital game. Something much more than the usual weekly XBLA/PSN releases but not quite a full retail game. I hope this is the case as I feel that the $40 pricing point would work much better for plenty of games. There needs to be more room for games that are neither AAA releases nor indie digital releases.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the hype, I've come to expect it'll drop at $60. I don't intend to buy it for that price, but plenty of people will. And it'll probably have enough content that, if the gameplay systems support it, it'll be worth it for the devoted players. But I'll hang back until the market tests exactly what the game is.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By amafi

@mb: Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm a complete sucker for space exploration/trading/mining/fighting/etc games.

Have been since playing Elite 2 and Freespace back in the day. I'd easily pay $60 for what they've shown so far, because even when they're kinda bad those games are still pretty fantastic.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, people have paid for less content than what this game may be offering. Look at elite dangerous. Essentially the same genre of game, but the exploration is no where near as intricate (yet... supposedly) and it retails for $60. If this game goes for less than $60, I will be quite surprised and shocked. I would also be a bit nervous though... because I know with elite dangerous, there are going to be some sort of events in the future even if the promise of planetary landings and getting out of your ship wont be fulfilled. With no man's sky.... we might just be getting the game and that's it... no events, practically no real multiplayer. Just exploring planets, getting into trouble, upgrading. Rinse repeat forever. We just don't know still much about what this game will be about and what sort of content we're going to get out of it.

DurMan667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care what they charge; I'm buying this game as soon as I can. If I didn't know any better I'd say that Hello Games tapped into my mind and made the game I want to play.

That said, I'd speculate $40.

kewlsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By kewlsnake

Do you expect advanced intricate mechanics to be in this game for a 60 dollar tag? I kindof just expected to fly around, explore stuff and have limited or non permanent interactions with the different planets.

kubqo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it confirmed that this will be digital only?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@renahzor said:

I was never under the impression this was anything other than a full $60 retail release. If it shows up cheaper, great, but compared to other full price releases this looks like a good deal at that price point.

Me either. I'd pay $60.

People keep saying "it procedurally generated" and "its indie" as if that means ist easy to do and as if it is less quality. What is easier to build: a wooden table or the friggin universe? (Hmmm, let's ask god.) Its four people, but it four clever people with a great idea executed well, and ist really four people supported by 100 people at Sony who will publish it. Its a $60 and if we get it for less, well that a frigging gift.

Hey, if only 100K people buy it because it is $60; err, so what? That's their loss. I'd rather have 100K fans, than a million penny pinchers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.