Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ori and the Blind Forest

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 11, 2015

Ori and the Blind Forest is a 2D Metroidvania game with a strong focus on platforming, story, and atmosphere. Developed by Moon Studios for the PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360.

So I Just Played: Ori and the Blind Forest

tarfuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By tarfuin

Few forces in gaming are more powerful than word of mouth. If the discussion turns on you, look out, because you are in for a proverbial shitstorm of trouble. Bad word of mouth can be largely to blame for the massive head start the Ps4 got over the Xbox One when both consoles launched. It's an immense force, and that's why a game that generates a burst of positive word of mouth is really heading places, and usually for good reason.

Enter Ori and the Blind Forest, a game that I'd heard nigh an unflattering word about heading into my time with it. A game that had been described with exuberant adjectives like stunning, heartfelt, and gorgeous. With a dearth of quality AAA releases we as a community can sometimes get a little hyperbolic when we get too excited about a smaller game, so did Ori live up to the hype?

In my experience, yes. Absolutely. Ori and the Blind Forest is aesthetically nothing short of a work of art. The visuals are mind-blowing. The music is fantastic, and the gameplay is vastly more varied and interesting that I had imagined. On top of all that, Ori starts you off with a prologue sequence that will have you nearly in tears and completely hooked emotionally before you've even really started playing.

Prepare your feelings for a punch in the gut.
    Prepare your feelings for a punch in the gut.

When talking to others about this game I've heard many comparisons, most commonly to Super Meat Boy, Dust: An Elysian Tale, and Castlevania/Metroid. All those comparisons have definite merit. All platformers going forward will always be compared to Meat Boy as they rightfully should. Meat Boy set the standard for control tightness in a platformer. Does Ori control as tight as Meat Boy? Absolutely not, but there's a lot of wiggle room there. A game's controls can be worse than Meat Boy and still pretty good. Ori's controls are almost always as responsive as you need them to be. They're not perfect, in many cases I found myself over-shooting very short distance jumps, but they're pretty good overall. It's not really a fair comparison either, because there's much more variety in Ori's gameplay than their was in Meat Boy.

In Meat Boy largely you ran, sprinted, jumped, and slid. That's it. It did those things perfectly, but it did only those things. Ori and the Blind Forest is far more complex than I imagined. Over the course of the game you learn to double-jump, wall climb, wall run, stomp, launch, float, and several more. Once given a new power you're almost immediately required to put it to practical use in very difficult sequences. For all its gorgeous looks, touching story, and cutesy looking characters, this game is actually pretty darn difficult. Things get pretty challenging pretty quickly and only escalate from there.

Sometimes the floor really is lava.
    Sometimes the floor really is lava.

The Catlevania/Metroid comparisons are fairly obvious, this is a classic case of Metroidvania. You go through areas the best you can, but there are doors, ledges, and collectibles you can't reach on your first trip through. Only after having gained a new power or ability will you be able to go back and get everything or access a new area. It's handled well here. They make you work for valuable upgrades to your health and energy, but putting points in certain areas of the ability tree can make tracking these upgrades down much easier. The art is so unique in this game as well that you never feel like you're going through the same bland areas over and over again.

The art is the main thing that reminds me of Dust: An Elysian Tail. It has a similar style, and the fidelity of both almost took my breath away. It's just so sharp and so vibrant. This is certainly an early contender for best looking game of the year, and I wouldn't hesitate to nominate is as one of the best looking games of the decade. Another aspect it shares with Dust is having a rather innocent looking setting, but underneath lies a deep and unexpectedly dark story. I won't get into specifics, but it definitely blurs the lines between good and evil and really makes you consider the motives and justifications of all the characters. It also has some absolutely heart breaking moments.

I have a lot of complicated feelings towards this owl.
    I have a lot of complicated feelings towards this owl.

In the end, control responsiveness are what holds Ori and the Blind Forest back. It sounds almost ridiculous saying that, because the controls are pretty darn good. When I say they hold the game back, all I mean is they knock it down from Game of the Year favourite to only a serious contender. The story seems like it's missing a couple small pieces to make it feel a bit more complete and the controls are only very good and not phenomenal. Those are the biggest complaints I can make about Ori, a game that I absolutely recommend you give a try.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I haven't had the slightest issue with the controls so far.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By mike

I feel the same way about the controls. They are good and I can generally pull of what I intend to, but they could be tighter especially when trying to do short, precision jumps and landing on platforms and such.

tarfuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb@believer258 : Yeah I'm totally not saying the controls are bad. As I said, being not as good as Meat Boy's controls still leave a lot of room to be pretty good. I just found sometimes, with those logs hanging on chains, I had trouble doing small movements like going from wall clinging on one to getting on top of one. It's not a big deal, it's just a nitpick about on otherwise great game.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@tarfuin: I know exactly what you mean about the pillars. After 15+ hours with the game, I still struggle when hanging off the side of one of those hanging pillars and then trying to jump up and land on top of it. It's a minor complaint though, most of the game controls just fine for me.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

@tarfuin Have you played Rayman Origins or Legends? If so, any comparisons between the two control-wise?

I like (and deeply respect) Meatboy, but for my tastes those new Raymen really hit the sweet spot.

tarfuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tarfuin
    @professoress said:

@tarfuin Have you played Rayman Origins or Legends? If so, any comparisons between the two control-wise?

I haven't played them actually, although I've always heard really good things. I'd be curious about the comparison as well.

To be honest I think what I said about the controls is being over-emphasized. They're not literally perfect, but they don't detract from the game AT ALL. If you're thinking about checking out Ori, don't let the controls deter you.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@tarfuin said:
    @professoress said:

I haven't played them actually, although I've always heard really good things. I'd be curious about the comparison as well.

To be honest I think what I said about the controls is being over-emphasized. They're not literally perfect, but they don't detract from the game AT ALL. If you're thinking about checking out Ori, don't let the controls deter you.

@tarfuin yyyyyyyyyy'know that shits free right now right?
    Rayman is only 4.3 GB too, I'd dl that asap if ya haven't already.

tarfuin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tarfuin

@franstone:

Wait what? Where is it free?

EDIT: Ohhhh, I see it's free on Games With Gold. I actually played Ori on PC. I don't have an Xbox unfortunately.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I totally agree about the controls. Things like the second jump in your double jump being shallower than the first, and when you are sliding near the bottom of a wall it dropping your input for a wall jump absolutely kill the responsiveness of the gameplay. Combined with the extended tricky sequences with no checkpoints it was an excercise in frustration more than exploring the joy of the mechanics.

The Y button skill which allows you to slingshot off of enemies? Freaking genius, so powerful and versatile. The sequence where they force you to use it with no experience for minutes on end (and do some really tricky shit if you don't want to miss collectibles)? Absolutely atrocious.

That combined with the way the game shuts you out of collectibles you missed depending on story events is a huuuuge bummer. Everything else about the game (music, art and general gameplay concepts) say it should be a shoe-in for my GOTY list, but it's just held back by this other stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.