Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Origin

Concept »

A digital distribution platform owned and operated by EA.

So i used Origin the other day

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Jackel2072

It was a painless process. i downloaded Crysis 2, it was maybe a little slower then steam (took about 4 hours or so). The app it self is pretty bland there is a friends list but i have no Origin friends so thats empty. The nice thing i could say about the service is that it is not required to run in the background when you launch your game. if im offline it never asks me to log into origin before i get into Crysis 2 and again its pretty painless. it has none of the great community features that steam has, but as just a digital store it works and its not a hassle. just though i share.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

your topic title makes it sound like origin is a drug.

"so I shot up with Origin the other day..."

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mikemcn

It doesn't need to exist, thats all there is to it, EA is just being greedy.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By ajamafalous

@Laketown said:

Dude, I used Origin and then watched Speed Racer. That shit was AWESOME.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kyreo

@ajamafalous said:

@Laketown said:

Dude, I used Origin and then watched Speed Racer. That shit was AWESOME.

Dude you should shoot up Speed and then watch Origin! Way better.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Cornman89

Well, it's good that it's a fairly painless process. I think the assumption for many people is that it would be overly intrusive, since that's just how EA rolls with its in-game stuff. I just... kinda wish I could get all EA's stuff on Steam.

Also, yes, Origin sounds like a drug you'd take in Fallout to regenerate AP. Or maybe I'm just playing too much New Vegas...

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

"Origin poisoned our water supply, burned our crops, and delivered a plague upon our houses!"

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Jadeskye

I hear brazil has a big origin problem.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Marz

I was thinking of playing Dragon Age Origin the other day.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jackel2072

@Laketown said:

lol yes and now im seeing the EA logo on all my loved ones faces. i thought it was completely unrelated.

@Mikemcn said:

Yeah well i dont think its going away anytime soon and Dragon Age II just disappeared from steam so unless they work it out i guess we are stuck with it.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By niamahai

@Mikemcn said:

and why should EA share DLC profits with steam? Its not 'greedy', its just part of the business.

Its was just a matter of "when" will the other big publishers establish their own PC-centric digital download services.

Also, its not like they are charging more to the consumers.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikemcn

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

and why should EA share DLC profits with steam? Its not 'greedy', its just part of the business.

Its was just a matter of "when" will the other big publishers establish their own PC-centric digital download services.

No, for the past 20 years publishers have been fine sharing their profits with retailers, Steam should be no different, just because they can squeeze more money out of their customers by making all games exclusive to their publisher specific service doesn't mean they should. I don't give a fuck if it's good business, its wrong and we have every right to be opposed to it.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really have no problem with Origin as long as it doesn't make things a hassle.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By niamahai

@Mikemcnsaid:

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

No, for the past 20 years publishers have been fine sharing their profits with retailers, Steam should be no different, just because they can squeeze more money out of their customers by making all games exclusive to their publisher specific service doesn't mean they should. I don't give a fuck if it's good business, its wrong and we have every right to be opposed to it.

Isn't this what Valve intended when HL2 was released with its Steam 1st policy?

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Mikemcn said:

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

How are they "squeezing more money out of their customers" by making them download a free download client?

herp derp fight tha power anarchy 4 lyfe xD

Anyway, just used Origin to download the BF3 alpha. Took something like 15 minutes to fully download almost a 3 gig file. I prefer having all my stuff in one place, but as a service Origin is abso-fucking-lutely fine.
    Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jackel2072

@Mikemcn said:

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

EA most likely looked at this way. it doesn't matter if a EA game out sells a Valve game on Steam because Valve is still making a profit off all its competitors. I love steam and i wish in a perfect world i could use Steam for everything my PC my Xbox, my PS3err my dead PS3. but its just business. and its nice that the system is not as intrusive as EA's past services have been.

with that said i do find my self buying EA games off steam before then end up disappearing.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mikemcn

@Three0neFive said:

@Mikemcn said:

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

How are they "squeezing more money out of their customers" by making them download a free download client? herp derp fight tha power anarchy 4 lyfe xD

Because when you buy BF3 for 60 bucks on Steam, Valve gets a cut, when you buy BF3 on Origin, EA gets all the money. Not that complex duder. If I buy BF3 i'll get it from Amazon or something I guess.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By captain_clayman
    @Jackel2072 said:

It was a painless process. i downloaded Crysis 2, it was maybe a little slower then steam (took about 4 hours or so). The app it self is pretty bland there is a friends list but i have no Origin friends so thats empty. The nice thing i could say about the service is that it is not required to run in the background when you launch your game. if im offline it never asks me to log into origin before i get into Crysis 2 and again its pretty painless. it has none of the great community features that steam has, but as just a digital store it works and its not a hassle. just though i share.

THANK GOD.  i thought you'd have to have it running while playing EA games.  so you just download, and then you can just launch it regularly?  this isnt nearly as bad as i thought.  and i assume if you can just launch it regularly you could just make a steam shortcut?
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By niamahai

@Mikemcn said:

Because when you buy BF3 for 60 bucks at Target, Target gets a cut, when you buy BF3 on Origin, EA gets all the money. Not that complex duder. I suppose the solution is to buy in the store then, right?

but YOU are still paying $60!!!

AAAAAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHH

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jackel2072

@captain_clayman said:

@Jackel2072 said:

THANK GOD. i thought you'd have to have it running while playing EA games. so you just download, and then you can just launch it regularly? this isnt nearly as bad as i thought. and i assume if you can just launch it regularly you could just make a steam shortcut?

i have never launched Crysis 2 from the Origin app just the game short cut on my desktop. and again it makes no mention of Origin anything it just loads the game.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Mikemcn said:

@Three0neFive said:

@Mikemcn said:

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

How are they "squeezing more money out of their customers" by making them download a free download client? herp derp fight tha power anarchy 4 lyfe xD

Because when you buy BF3 for 60 bucks on Steam, Valve gets a cut, when you buy BF3 on Origin, EA gets all the money. Not that complex duder. If I buy BF3 i'll get it from Amazon or something I guess.

No, that's not how it works. You're still paying the exact same thing for the exact same product. The only difference is that they no longer have to split any of their profits with Valve.

On the business side Origin is a great move. On the consumer side it makes absolutely no fucking difference. You just think you're being edgy with your "down with corporations! I don't want them to make profit regardless of the fact that it doesn't affect me at all!" bullshit.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ajamafalous

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

Because when you buy BF3 for 60 bucks at Target, Target gets a cut, when you buy BF3 on Origin, EA gets all the money. Not that complex duder. I suppose the solution is to buy in the store then, right?

AAAAAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHH

That makes no difference; EA is still squeezing more money out of you. He's not saying it in a sense of "The consumer has to pay more money through Origin."

CosmicQueso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By CosmicQueso

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

AAAAAAAAAARRRGHHHHHHH

Uhhhh, because if Origin gives you a deal, then Walmart and GameStop won't buy the game from EA at all, and then EA will be the only place to buy it, in which case they'll sell it for $60. Then, the retailers will want to buy it too, cuz it's $60, but then EA will give you a discount, which will then make the stores not buy it, then EA will make the price $60, then the stores will buy it again...

You see, you're always going to pay $60.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Levio

Just fyi, before someone mentions that Origin will delete your games after 2 years of non-use, that legal clause only says that they can do so, not that they will. They probably never will.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Geno

Pretty much the same experience. Fast load, attractive interface and non intrusiveness makes it hard to critique the client for anything. My experience with customer service has also been nothing but positive so far. You can fault EA for a lot of things but Origin isn't one of them. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Geno
    @Levio said:

Just fyi, before someone mentions that Origin will delete your games after 2 years of non-use, that legal clause only says that they can do so, not that they will. They probably never will.

Steam has a clause that says they can delete all of your games at any point that they wish, but they obviously never intend to do that either. Companies simply include such a line so that their butts will be covered legally under worst case scenarios. It's a shame that there was such a hubbub made about it a while ago, Origin got a lot of unjust negative press. 
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RsistncE
    @Geno said:
    @Levio said:

Steam has a clause that says they can delete all of your games at any point that they wish, but they obviously never intend to do that either. Companies simply include such a line so that their butts will be covered legally under worst case scenarios. It's a shame that there was such a hubbub made about it a while ago, Origin got a lot of unjust negative press. 
    I wouldn't say it's unjust considering EA's past history of complete and utter shit customer service and customer relations management when it came to digital distribution. Actually, they just had shit customer relation management in general. Between Valve and EA, I trust Valve far more when it comes to believing that my games will be there in my account when I wake up tomorrow.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mikemcn
    @Three0neFive
    @Mikemcn said:

@Three0neFive said:

@Mikemcn said:

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

No, that's not how it works. You're still paying the exact same thing for the exact same product. The only difference is that they no longer have to split any of their profits with Valve.

On the business side Origin is a great move. On the consumer side it makes absolutely no fucking difference. You just think you're being edgy with your "down with corporations! I don't want them to make profit regardless of the fact that it doesn't affect me at all!" bullshit.
    It does make a difference, I want to choose the option where the asshole publisher gets the least amount of money out of me, and where I dont have to give my credit info to yet another online download client. I wish i could just not buy the game, but I want it so I have to put up with it.
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Three0neFive
    @Mikemcn said:

@Three0neFive

@Mikemcn said:

@Three0neFive said:

@Mikemcn said:

@niamahai said:

@Mikemcn said:

It does make a difference, I want to choose the option where the asshole publisher gets the least amount of money out of me, and where I dont have to give my credit info to yet another online download client. I wish i could just not buy the game, but I want it so I have to put up with it.
    See, I can understand that - don't like something, don't support it. I still don't agree with your opinion, but it's much better reasoning than "durr they're squeezing money out of people".

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.