Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Prime 2010

Concept »

The 2010 Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) took place at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington from September 3-5.

PAX 2010: Day 3

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Edited By Hailinel

And once again PAX has come to a close.  The third day is always the shortest and quietest of the long weekend, but that doesn't mean nothing of interest happened.  I saw some great games, met some cool people, and overall had a great time.  I started the day off by meeting up with AgentJ and hung out with him and another Giant Bomb user, lolmont, as they waited in line for their chance to see Duke Nukem Forever.  A line so staggeringly long that it wrapped around the DNF booth, along the wall of the show floor, and around the corner.  Good thing everyone came prepared with either a DS or a PSP to keep themselves occupied.  After leaving, I briefly met up with them again once they were within shouting distance of the booth entrance, as well as vidiot.  It was cool to meet you guys.  I hope your PAX was at least as fun as mine was.

Some of the games I saw included:

• Retro City Rampage:  A PAX 10 selection and an upcoming WiiWare release.  Think of the old top-down Grand Theft Auto games in a retro 8-bit style, and you're off to a good start.  And frankly, this game is a blast.
    • Epic Mickey:  I played through the tutorial demo level of the game, and it is actually really darn good.  It controls well, the art style is fantastic, and  well, it looks like fans of Mickey Mouse are in for some fun later this year.  Heck, I'm not even particularly attached to the character and I'm more intrigued than ever.
    • Marvel vs. Capcom 3:  If you've ever played a Capcom Vs. game, you probably already know what to expect.  Three-on-three tag battles of absolute insanity.  Pringles, however, were not included.
    • Bionic Commando Rearmed 2:  I didn't actually play it, but you have to admit, the additions of both jumping (I'm told the game can still be completed without jumping, if you wish) and Nathan Spencer's new mustache can't be coincidental.  If you ask me, he's discovered the secret of Mario's power.

So I didn't really get around to playing too many games today.  Instead, I spent more of my time cruising around the exhibits and tried to take in as much as I could before the hall closed and everyone was kicked out.  I also did some shopping, and among other items, I managed to buy copies of Bushido Blade and Kingdom Hearts:  Chain of Memories, as well as the Penny Arcade anniversary book.  Towards the end, I spent some more time in the console freeplay area.  My classic console game of choice for this, the final day of PAX 2010?  A game that I had never played before.  A game that you've probably never heard of.

Ranma 1/2:  Hard Battle.

What can be said about it?  Ranma 1/2:  Hard Battle is a special kind of awful.  The kind of awful where the game design is so inept, the fighters so imbalanced, that it turns around and becomes hilarious in the face of its own absurdity.  How many fighting games for the SNES do you know of where "Jump" isn't mapped to Up on the D-pad?  How many SNES games in general do you know of where "Jump" is mapped to "X"?  This is the kind of insane design philosophy that the game embraces.  And it is because of PAX that I was finally given the chance to play this comically misshapen work of art.

All in all, it was another great show, and I can't wait to return for PAX 2011 next year.  My only regret is not snatching up that copy of Golgo 13 for the NES when I had the chance.  I hope that the lucky bastard that got to it before I could pull the trigger has fun with it.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hailinel

And once again PAX has come to a close.  The third day is always the shortest and quietest of the long weekend, but that doesn't mean nothing of interest happened.  I saw some great games, met some cool people, and overall had a great time.  I started the day off by meeting up with AgentJ and hung out with him and another Giant Bomb user, lolmont, as they waited in line for their chance to see Duke Nukem Forever.  A line so staggeringly long that it wrapped around the DNF booth, along the wall of the show floor, and around the corner.  Good thing everyone came prepared with either a DS or a PSP to keep themselves occupied.  After leaving, I briefly met up with them again once they were within shouting distance of the booth entrance, as well as vidiot.  It was cool to meet you guys.  I hope your PAX was at least as fun as mine was.

Some of the games I saw included:

• Retro City Rampage:  A PAX 10 selection and an upcoming WiiWare release.  Think of the old top-down Grand Theft Auto games in a retro 8-bit style, and you're off to a good start.  And frankly, this game is a blast.
    • Epic Mickey:  I played through the tutorial demo level of the game, and it is actually really darn good.  It controls well, the art style is fantastic, and  well, it looks like fans of Mickey Mouse are in for some fun later this year.  Heck, I'm not even particularly attached to the character and I'm more intrigued than ever.
    • Marvel vs. Capcom 3:  If you've ever played a Capcom Vs. game, you probably already know what to expect.  Three-on-three tag battles of absolute insanity.  Pringles, however, were not included.
    • Bionic Commando Rearmed 2:  I didn't actually play it, but you have to admit, the additions of both jumping (I'm told the game can still be completed without jumping, if you wish) and Nathan Spencer's new mustache can't be coincidental.  If you ask me, he's discovered the secret of Mario's power.

So I didn't really get around to playing too many games today.  Instead, I spent more of my time cruising around the exhibits and tried to take in as much as I could before the hall closed and everyone was kicked out.  I also did some shopping, and among other items, I managed to buy copies of Bushido Blade and Kingdom Hearts:  Chain of Memories, as well as the Penny Arcade anniversary book.  Towards the end, I spent some more time in the console freeplay area.  My classic console game of choice for this, the final day of PAX 2010?  A game that I had never played before.  A game that you've probably never heard of.

Ranma 1/2:  Hard Battle.

What can be said about it?  Ranma 1/2:  Hard Battle is a special kind of awful.  The kind of awful where the game design is so inept, the fighters so imbalanced, that it turns around and becomes hilarious in the face of its own absurdity.  How many fighting games for the SNES do you know of where "Jump" isn't mapped to Up on the D-pad?  How many SNES games in general do you know of where "Jump" is mapped to "X"?  This is the kind of insane design philosophy that the game embraces.  And it is because of PAX that I was finally given the chance to play this comically misshapen work of art.

All in all, it was another great show, and I can't wait to return for PAX 2011 next year.  My only regret is not snatching up that copy of Golgo 13 for the NES when I had the chance.  I hope that the lucky bastard that got to it before I could pull the trigger has fun with it.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

I'm glad to hear Epic Mickey played well. I like Mickey Mouse, but I was more of a Bugs Bunny guy growing up.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Glad you got to Mickey in my absence. Not much of a chance that I ever pick it up, but It's good to know that Specter can still work his magic. And take good care of Bushido Blade; I may want to borrow it someday. Or maybe just take you on in freeplay next year. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hailinel
    @AgentJ said:
    " Glad you got to Mickey in my absence. Not much of a chance that I ever pick it up, but It's good to know that Specter can still work his magic. And take good care of Bushido Blade; I may want to borrow it someday. Or maybe just take you on in freeplay next year.  "
    The disc isn't in the best of shape, but it should sill be usable. :)  And Epic Mickey definitely looks like it could be an excellent reason to own a Wii.

@Claude said:
    " I'm glad to hear Epic Mickey played well. I like Mickey Mouse, but I was more of a Bugs Bunny guy growing up. "
    So was I , actually.  Though to be honest, I've grown more fond of the Disney characters as time has worn on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.