Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Prime 2011

Concept »

The eighth annual Penny Arcade Expo took place from August 26-28, 2011 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington.

Disappointing PAX Variety Hour

• 138 results
    KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By KarlPilkington

@Mcfart said:

Also when's Brad leaving?

A few months, said he is going to slowly faze his way out.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By vitor

@Hailinel said:

@Slaker117 said:

Wait. Are you guys are fucking with us, right? New ER? Oh God, please let there be a new ER.

Since it's been spoiled outside of the panel, yes, there will be a new Endurance Run. They said flat out that another is coming. They did not provide any indication of what the game of choice would be.

Can't think of any games out right now that would be appropriate for it... Dark Souls maybe to really f*ck with everyone but Vinny?

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By vitor

@Ferros said:

Is Brad actually leaving or is it just friendly teasing in the usual GB style of things?

Seriously - what's with all these Brad leaving comments. Is this for real? Would suck if so. He's one of my favourite writers on the site.

droop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By droop

Yeah I can't figure out any you guys are just trolling or these are actual announcements .. I don't want Brad to go :(

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By mnzy
    @Vitor said:

@Ferros said:

Is Brad actually leaving or is it just friendly teasing in the usual GB style of things?

Seriously - what's with all these Brad leaving comments. Is this for real? Would suck if so. He's one of my favourite writers on the site.

It's an old joke that was funny once.

He's not leaving.
    Avatar image for washablemarkers
    washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By washablemarkers

They've said a new Endurance Run would happen if the right game came along, so I'm curious as to what that will be. I loved the VJ Deadly Premonition one, even if the game was not great.

Bummer about the show ending early, I wonder if they had a segment that got cancelled?

Sidekick-Trio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By Sidekick-Trio
    @mnzy:  I've been around since the site started, was a fan of Jeff and Ryan at gamespot. It must be one of those running jokes that slipped my memory. Thanks for the clarification.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Zithe

@Vitor said:

@Hailinel said:

@Slaker117 said:

Wait. Are you guys are fucking with us, right? New ER? Oh God, please let there be a new ER.

Since it's been spoiled outside of the panel, yes, there will be a new Endurance Run. They said flat out that another is coming. They did not provide any indication of what the game of choice would be.

Can't think of any games out right now that would be appropriate for it... Dark Souls maybe to really f*ck with everyone but Vinny?

I was thinking possibly The Witcher 2? It's been out long enough for almost everyone to have bought it if they're going to and Vinny just recently started playing it. He's probably not far in. Just a thought.

Bah, on second thought, I think they are still planning on bringing TW2 to consoles. I doubt they would want to spoil it for non-PC gamers.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By vitor

@Zithe said:

@Vitor said:

@Hailinel said:

@Slaker117 said:

I was thinking possibly The Witcher 2? It's been out long enough for almost everyone to have bought it if they're going to and Vinny just recently started playing it. He's probably not far in. Just a thought.

Bah, on second thought, I think they are still planning on bringing TW2 to consoles. I doubt they would want to spoil it for non-PC gamers.

Xbox version out early next year. No dice as that would be seen as spoiling the game and possibly causing lost sales if you could just watch the story, one of the game's main draws, play out here. The paths are divergent enough to where another team BR/VJ would work but I seriously doubt it.

.... Dammit. You just edited your comment and now my response is pointless. Oh well. And yeah, a more obscure game would likely fit the bill.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60  Edited By Sooty

Demon's Souls ER!

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#61  Edited By Meowshi
    @Jimbo said:
    Ugh, ER is a massive waste of manhours. I probably won't member up this year if half of it's gonna be taken up by ER.
    Uh, what exactly should they be spending their time doing?  More facebook videos?  
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#62  Edited By StarvingGamer

@Ygg said:

Demon's Souls ER!

Dark Souls! It comes out in October! There's no actual storyline to spoil, but then again the lack of storyline would make an ER boring as sin.

We should just play Dark Souls.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By Animasta

@Ygg said:

Demon's Souls ER!

vinny already beat it why bother? I really wouldn't want to hear them complaining about the game all the time.

Avatar image for deactivated-64d26467db8de
    deactivated-64d26467db8de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to hear about more of Vinny's obscure gaming. I want:

Long -ass videos

Overly long projects

etc.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By 1p

Kind of surprised by ER announcement. I figured they wouldn't do one this year. I guess they must have found a game that they're comfortable doing.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#66  Edited By kingzetta
    @Jimbo said:
    Ugh, ER is a massive waste of manhours. I probably won't member up this year if half of it's gonna be taken up by ER.
    wrong
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#67  Edited By Castiel

@Jimbo said:

Yeah I kinda agree, even though last years ER definitely had it's moments, it just takes up a lot of time to produce and since I can watch without a paid account, I'm also in doubt whether I should renew my membership or not. :S

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By laserbolts

While a new ER is good news it feels as if they are doing it for different reasons than the others. The persona one was done because they wanted to do it but this one feels like it will be done to please the community. They stated in the past that they won't do another one so I assumed that they didn't want to do it again. Either way it should be good content I just hope they are genuinely into doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an old snes game or something. Jeff said he hasn't played chrono trigger so maybe that may happen?

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Meowshi

Vinny playing overly-long, obscure Japanese games.  Sounds like an ER to me, man. 

I just don't see your problem.  The video content on this side has taking a nosedive, and I think a new ER would be awesome!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Jimbo
    @Meowshi
    @Jimbo said:
    Uh, what exactly should they be spending their time doing?  More facebook videos?  
    I hope not. That would be preferable to another Endurance Run, but not by much. Ideally they would use the time to cover games.
    carrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By carrie
    @Vamino

@Valwryn said:

Actually, thinking back on the Variety Hour, it wasn't that great. Paul Barnet and a lady acquaintance got on stage and shilled the free Warhammer game for far too long. Pandered like crazy, Paul did his typical "fans are so great speech" that he does at every Warhammer related event, and then they started picking fights with Jonnny V.

There were times of painfully awkward silence when she was talking about Warhammer. Even Paul was too annoyed/busy to listen to her. I couldn't even tell if Jeff was fake irritated with said female or playfully irritated with said female... yeah I still think it was disappointing when calculating that guest appearance into it.

I'm gonna guess the "lady acquaintance" was Carrie Gouskos, being that she works with Paul at Mythic. Jeff and Carrie are very good friends. She used to work at GameSpot.

Twas me. To the OP. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it or thought we were shilling. The intent was to do the quick spiel, self-deprecate, and tell stories.

I respect GB tremendously and appreciate being able to hang and have a laugh with the guys I love. Next time I'm sure they'll get you more Johnny V.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#72  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I think I'm secretly of the opinion that I don't want another endurance run. Quite frankly, the Deadly Premonition one didn't really do it for me because I could care less about Twin Peaks (I've seen all I need to see of that show to know that it doesn't interest me) and I could certainly care less about pretty much any time they were actually playing the game, because man is that shooting and driving the most boring thing to watch ever, even with Francis York Morgan musing to Zach about random 80s movies. The Persona 4 ER worked because it wasn't forced and you could see the gradual buildup of enthusiasm from Jeff and Vinny until 45+ Minute episodes were the norm. The Deadly Premonition one was like some sort of... Direct to DVD endurance run trying to capitalize on the original's success.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By louiedog

@Jimbo said:

I've been wondering if they're going to change up the format when the ER came back. Instead of daily episode, an hour to an hour and a half once a week would be good for me. It'd be like television programming for viewers. It wouldn't eat up as much of their time and would hopefully keep them from getting burned out on it.

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By david3cm

I am confused as to why people are bumbed about a new ER, and even willing to stop supporting the site. They will still continue to put out other content, and heck, I find the podcast to be worth the membership alone if my dollars help fund them talk shit for 2 hours a week.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Dany

...weird thread title for people excited for new endurance run.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By louiedog

@david3cm said:

I am confused as to why people are bumbed about a new ER, and even willing to stop supporting the site. They will still continue to put out other content, and heck, I find the podcast to be worth the membership alone if my dollars help fund them talk shit for 2 hours a week.

It's all talk. The gaming community is very reactionary. Some will panic at any announcement, but after given time to settle down they end up loving it.

[L4D2 boycott group playing L4D2.jpg]

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By bybeach

Gawd I hope anything not Cathy or persona. There are other things in the world, but great news!

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By UnrealDP

No idea what you're talking about, i loved the panel and it was a great way to start my very first PAX. I just assumed the waiting to start was something that every panel had to do, i barely noticed it.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By mnzy
    @david3cm said:

I feel like since membership exists here, people use their subscription as some kind of hostage. Any change, even aditional content, is apparently worth to cancel it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark my words, the interns will be involved in this ER.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By cheesebob

I for one can't wait for the new ER. I am flattered they have decided to do another and I'm sure it will be great!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#82  Edited By crusader8463
    @mnzy: My favourite abuse of the membership tag is the self entitlement when it comes to discussing opinions about the site. Can't even count the number of times that people have said to me "Well your not a member and I am! So shut up!" whenever you try to be critical of the site in some way or make suggestions on how to improve it. It's like them being able to throw away $50 makes their views more important then others.

Anyway, let the haters hate as far as the ER is concerned. As long as the ER isn't just Jeff sitting there bitching and moaning the entire time because he doesn't want to do another ER then I will watch it. 

The idea of the Vinny/Dave PC talk has me really excited, but I really hope it's not a members only thing, or it's members only for a week then everyone gets it for free, because spreading the word of small PC games is something I want to be shared with the largest number of people out there possible. Not just the kids that can afford $50.
    YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83  Edited By YI_Orange

I guess I can understand why people are upset at a new Endurance Run, but at the same time I trust the crew. Yeah, it might be happening because most people want it, but they've said a million times that they won't do it unless the right game comes along. If they did, they wouldn't enjoy and we would be able to tell and no one would enjoy them. So I'm willing to bet the right game probably came along. That doesn't necessarily mean it's a new game, I actually think it's more likely it's an older game since they just got the cables or whatever to capture that stuff. Also, to a bunch of people: they never said "we hate the endurance run we're never going to do another", they said "The endurance run is taxing and there will never be another one unless we can find the right game". Huge difference.

That said, still looking forward to checking out the archived version.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#84  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @rjayb89 said:

I used to be excited at the mention of Endurance Runs (by the staff, even if it's a put-down by Jeff or something), but not as much anymore. The Persona 4 ER was the reason why I even decided to stick around on the site, and I can't even remember what I did before then. That ER was some sort of magic that I don't think I'll ever experience again on any site

Sadly, I agree. the Persona 4 Endurance Run, for me, was the best thing that ever came out of Giant Bomb and I was excited to wake up every day just to watch another episode of the ER. The characters; the gameplay; the staff's enthusiasm, jokes and unfamiliarity with the game; the story... it all fit perfectly into what the Endurance Run is supposed to be. I can't see that being the case with any other game and the Deadly Premonition ER is kind of a testament to that. 

I don't think I ever wanted a new Endurance Run since the DP one ended and made me realise nothing could ever top Persona 4's.
    Valwryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Valwryn

@Titus said:

@TheHT: Dude! I see that comment every now and then and it scares the shit out of me! I'm thinking "So it's really true! FUCK!"... and then I understand that it isn't. EDIT: Oh, and what is the Variety Hour? Is it a Giant Bomb thing or a general PAX thing where developers talk about stuff?

Variety Hour was the Giantbomb specific talk at PAX.

@Carrie said:

@Vamino

@Valwryn said:

Actually, thinking back on the Variety Hour, it wasn't that great. Paul Barnet and a lady acquaintance got on stage and shilled the free Warhammer game for far too long. Pandered like crazy, Paul did his typical "fans are so great speech" that he does at every Warhammer related event, and then they started picking fights with Jonnny V.

There were times of painfully awkward silence when she was talking about Warhammer. Even Paul was too annoyed/busy to listen to her. I couldn't even tell if Jeff was fake irritated with said female or playfully irritated with said female... yeah I still think it was disappointing when calculating that guest appearance into it.

I'm gonna guess the "lady acquaintance" was Carrie Gouskos, being that she works with Paul at Mythic. Jeff and Carrie are very good friends. She used to work at GameSpot.

Twas me. To the OP. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it or thought we were shilling. The intent was to do the quick spiel, self-deprecate, and tell stories. I respect GB tremendously and appreciate being able to hang and have a laugh with the guys I love. Next time I'm sure they'll get you more Johnny V.

I appreciate the comment :). I think it honestly would have felt fine had the Giantbomb crew had the fully allotted amount of time. I just didn't care to hear about Warhammer in the slightest during the Giantbomb Variety hour, and that was exacerbated with the limited amount of time they had.

@UnrealDP said:

No idea what you're talking about, i loved the panel and it was a great way to start my very first PAX. I just assumed the waiting to start was something that every panel had to do, i barely noticed it.

Fourth year PAX attendent here. Had you been at last years GB panel (and Gameworks after party) you probably would've felt differently about this one. I am glad that fresh eyes on the situation didn't feel disappointed though, I'm probably just being my crotchety old self.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By UnrealDP

@Valwryn:

Yeah, there was no disappointment on my end, but sucks to hear you didn't enjoy it. Hope it turns better next year!

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DeeGee

I'll have to wait until it goes up on the site, but bummed that they only did a short panel by the sound of it. Paul Barnett promoting a free to play Warhammer game sounds exactly what I wouldn't want out a Giant Bomb pane. Guests are cool and all, but all those people went to see the crew, not get advertised to.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#88  Edited By ajamafalous

@Brodehouse said:

Endurance Run; most popular feature the site has ever had, cheaper and easier to edit than video reviews, events or interviews, and completely loathed by the staff. Nonsensical.

Most of all I wish they would stop making excuses and just admit they hate doing it. They've come up with 'it costs too much time', but of course, they're more popular than anything outside of Quick Looks, and they would never think about cancelling Quick Looks because they take too long to record. There's 'there's more important business during the day' which I'm baffled by. Patrick and Alex do the news, you have three editors and only one or two games played for review a week, and events and showcases don't happen every single day. Bah, whatever.

I agree with everything here. Doubly so on the last part.

ThePilgrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#89  Edited By ThePilgrums

@david3cm said:

Fairweather fans. "Keep doing what I want, have some money. Do something I don't AND I HOPE YOUR WEBSITE GOES UNDER! >:C" Yeah, that's real nice. Way to say thanks for all the entertainment they've given you.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#90  Edited By Milkman

Yay, more bitching from the community. What else is new?

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By benjaebe

New Endurance Run and some subscriber content coming up is sure to make me subscribe again. Sounds like it was an informative panel, wish I had been there but hopefully they'll upload it soon.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By dungbootle

Whatever happens I hope they don't force themselves to do something they hate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@dungbootle said:
    @Khann said:

There you go, problem solved.
    kagai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By kagai

I'm glad they are giving subscribers more exclusive content. And to people that complain about spending $50/year, that's less than a $1/week. You're getting content that is worth much more than that a week...and you get a free t-shirt, and soon you'll be getting an option for a $15 store credit, with a subscription, so it's really only $35/year for the content. You can forgo one energy drink every couple of weeks to support this awesome site. If every regular visitor of this site subscribed, they could do big things like travel to all the shows and do live stream events from them and who knows what other cool things.

And, I like the ERs, but the Quick Looks are my favorite, don't ever stop the QLs.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#95  Edited By rjayb89

Live cams of the Rorie petting animals as he strolls around in the office and in his mind. Confirmed by me.

Source: Me, rjayb89.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96  Edited By wrighteous86

@atomic_dumpling said:

@dungbootle said:
    @Khann said:

There you go, problem solved.

I don't know that fans clamoring for an Endurance Run will accept or be satisfied by an "intern" ER. The reason they wanted another ER is because of the staff's personalities, otherwise they'd just watch any number of Let's Plays on YouTube by people who are as interesting or relatable as Matt Kessler. If that's what they do, good for them, but I think it will just make internet demand for a "real" ER increase.

I don't care about ER's one way or the other...but I predict a shitstorm of bitching if it's 20 hours of Kessler playing Shenmue or something.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By illmatic19

Would love to see a Deus Ex: Human Revolution ER. Fingers crossed.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a new Endurance Run?  wow im so excited!  i havent finished the Deadly Premonition ER yet so ill try to finish it up

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Buscemi
    @OtakuGamer: Nope, not yet!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.