Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PAX Prime 2011

Concept »

The eighth annual Penny Arcade Expo took place from August 26-28, 2011 at the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle, Washington.

Disappointing PAX Variety Hour

• 138 results
    Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By Oginam

@rjayb89: There are other podcasts out there besides hypeman stuff. Talkradar (very immature compared to GB, but heavy on antics; I read news on their site since I don't like Joystiq or Kotaku), 4pp (just a bunch of dudes who play games), and In-game chat (also a bunch of dudes).

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102  Edited By DeeGee

@Wrighteous86 said:

I don't know that fans clamoring for an Endurance Run will accept or be satisfied by an "intern" ER. The reason they wanted another ER is because of the staff's personalities, otherwise they'd just watch any number of Let's Plays on YouTube by people who are as interesting or relatable as Matt Kessler. If that's what they do, good for them, but I think it will just make internet demand for a "real" ER increase.

I don't care about ER's one way or the other...but I predict a shitstorm of bitching if it's 20 hours of Kessler playing Shenmue or something.

You're right, I couldn't care less about an intern ED, that's no different then a Let's Play. I hope the GB staff realise this.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By butano

A Dave/Vinny PC endurance run is something I approve of. And why focus on vanilla games? An endurance run of say, the Oblivion mod Nehrim? Or the original Deus Ex with the New Vision mod?

Oginam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Oginam

@laserbolts said:

While a new ER is good news it feels as if they are doing it for different reasons than the others. The persona one was done because they wanted to do it but this one feels like it will be done to please the community. They stated in the past that they won't do another one so I assumed that they didn't want to do it again. Either way it should be good content I just hope they are genuinely into doing it. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an old snes game or something. Jeff said he hasn't played chrono trigger so maybe that may happen?

It would be hard to watch them play snes games. Probably going to be a game with voice acting, this generation of consoles or PS2, something T-M rated, not something that'll exceed 60 hours, and isn't unbearable like DP's mechanics.

Also, I hope Patrick gets roped into it. I feel like him and Vinny are the only two with the energy to play through a whole game without being miserable like Jeff. Either that or they just need to enjoy the game no matter what, that's how I got through DP - I hated myself more for having finished FF13 than DP for that reason.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#105  Edited By BrickRoad

I think it's pretty stupid when people talk down the interns. Get over yourselves. The Fear Gauntlet has been good and the Resi Evil ones especially. I'd have watched more of that. And people need to relax about the new ER, I'm sure it'll be good.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By PillClinton

What I gather from the OP: "disappointing show...actually, show was great...actually, it wasn't that great."

First off, make up your mind before posting something like this the day after the panel, on the website the panel was for. Secondly, you should already know what you're going to get with GB--you either love it or hate it, so take it or leave it.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ChickenPants

Since this has basically turned into an ER thread I'll just address that (Sorry OP!):

Hope they aren't just rushing something out to appease members come September. It is paramount that they only do it for the right game and with Vinny and Jeff. I'd be really surprised if we see it before the end of the year considering how busy Q4 is.

OP: As fascinating as it is to listen to Paul Barnett it is a disapointment to hear that he was basically just schilling for his game. Understandable though.

RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#108  Edited By RTSlord
    @Duffyside said:

How can you be disappointed with the announcement of a new Endurance Run?

WHAT!???? oh lord yes...
    Zaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#109  Edited By Zaph

Interesting choice of words by Jeff on this Formspring page:

Question: What's the point of another ER other than pandering to your base to increase subscription numbers?

Jeff: Some guys want to do one so they're going to do one.

Note the "they're going to do one"...

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By mnzy
    @crusader8463 said:

Anyway, let the haters hate as far as the ER is concerned. As long as the ER isn't just Jeff sitting there bitching and moaning the entire time because he doesn't want to do another ER then I will watch it. 

Jeff said on Formspring: "Some guys want to do one so they're going to do one."

Sounds like he won't be part of it.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By Animasta

VINNY AND RYAN COME ON

I WILL ALSO TAKE DAVE, OR DREW

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#112  Edited By ThePickle

@Brodehouse said:

Endurance Run; most popular feature the site has ever had, cheaper and easier to edit than video reviews, events or interviews, and completely loathed by the staff. Nonsensical.

Most of all I wish they would stop making excuses and just admit they hate doing it. They've come up with 'it costs too much time', but of course, they're more popular than anything outside of Quick Looks, and they would never think about cancelling Quick Looks because they take too long to record. There's 'there's more important business during the day' which I'm baffled by. Patrick and Alex do the news, you have three editors and only one or two games played for review a week, and events and showcases don't happen every single day. Bah, whatever.

Word.

I am very excited to see this panel. Even though it may not have lived up to this gentleman's standards, the panels are always fun.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Dany

I want a DV team, a PV team, a VJ team, a BV team and RV team!

@mnzy said:

@crusader8463 said:

Anyway, let the haters hate as far as the ER is concerned. As long as the ER isn't just Jeff sitting there bitching and moaning the entire time because he doesn't want to do another ER then I will watch it.

Jeff said on Formspring: "Some guys want to do one so they're going to do one." Sounds like he won't be part of it.

Haha wow, way to be part of the team jeff.

Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By Binbay55

We were talking to Jeff after the show and he said that he would not be part of the next ER. 

The time they spent after the show was really great. The guys all signed my report card! Jeff is my new dad apparently!! AHA!
    CornishRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By CornishRocker

The very fact of being there and experiencing Giant Bomb live was enough for me. I live in the UK, and as the World Tour has been scrapped, PAX is one of the few possible ways of meeting them. Sure, I was a little miffed by the panel being cut short, but I'm happy they put it on in the first place.

Also, they stayed behind for TWO hours afterwards to meet everyone. That made up for the cut on the panel.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By MrKlorox

Fuck another Atlus game. ER fanboys: accept some variety. I'll take an ER of literally anything but another Atlus game.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#117  Edited By Sooty

I really hope Vinny is in it at least

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#118  Edited By tourgen

@Binbay55 said:

We were talking to Jeff after the show and he said that he would not be part of the next ER. The time they spent after the show was really great. The guys all signed my report card! Jeff is my new dad apparently!! AHA!

That was really cool of them. Sounds like a good show.

I enjoyed Jeff's comments and what he brought to the 2 ERs. I'm pretty excited for his Wall of Fame stuff though so it should all work out.

I loved all 3 ERs. I wouldn't have normally played either game, ever. But I opened one of the later episodes of the Deadly Premonition run and immediately ordered the game off of Amazon. Played thru it. Watched the both teams run thru it. Had an AMAZING time. Then I watched the entire first ER - Persona 4. it was great fun watching the guys run through it. I picked up Persona 3 and played thru it afterwards. super easy and the story was a little annoying but it had some cool ideas in there. It's a game type that I would have missed out on if not for the ER.

I can't wait to see what game came along that got them in the mood for an ER.

I'm also really excited for the "load some random save and play" idea. That sounds Amazing! Damn. That's how I play! Oh yeah, that game from 3 years ago, where was I? Right at some boss fight? ...

I'm up for more intern abuse too. Some of those guys are actually pretty amusing.

Overall it sounds like they are doing some great stuff and have a lot of fantastic ideas. Hell I'd pay just to support the Bombcast. The awesome game wiki, forums, videos, one-off shows, achievement lists, reviews, articles, and everything else locks it down.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#119  Edited By LiquidS

I guess after all those mean comments made about the Ico QL I kinda understand Brad wanting to move on. Hopefully he will enjoy working at Blizzard more.

Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Binbay55
    @CornishRocker
    Oh man were you the guy with the sick doodle picture of the guys? If so, great job man!
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By mrfluke

@Milkman said:

Yay, more bitching from the community. What else is new?

amen brother, sometimes these guys seriously symbolize the saying "damned if you do, damned if you don't"

like, if you don't like what they are doing or you don't care for another endurance run then gtfo or hell don't watch it, just stop killing it for ppl as there are some members that are genuinely excited for another ER

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ThePickle

They should've cut questions. I have to question the logic of having Jeff Green, Johnny V, and Adam Boyes in the front row and they decide to take bad questions.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#123  Edited By Hailinel

@HandsomeDevil said:

They should've cut questions. I have to question the logic of having Jeff Green, Johnny V, and Adam Boyes in the front row and they decide to take bad questions.

It's not the GB crew's fault when people in the Q&A ask questions that aren't so great, just as it isn't their fault that the panel got cut short by half an hour.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By RE_Player1

Not going to tell the guys what to do or what not to do but for me personally I just couldn't get through it. I stopped around half way in the Paul and Carrie segment. I just wasn't really amused or interested in it. It's hard doing a show in front of a crowd and with all the other factors I can see it being a nightmare so I'm not going to bitch about like some people, it just wasn't for me.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By McShank

@Jimbo said:

Ugh, ER is a massive waste of manhours. I probably won't member up this year if half of it's gonna be taken up by ER.

Dont be butthurt because 90% of the community wants a ER and you don't.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mrfluke said:

as there are some members that are genuinely excited for another ER

I wonder how they will react if the interns run it.
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By ThePickle

@Hailinel said:

@HandsomeDevil said:

It's not the GB crew's fault when people in the Q&A ask questions that aren't so great, just as it isn't their fault that the panel got cut short by half an hour.

I'm not saying it's their fault Q and A is almost always terrible, I'm just saying they should've used the talent better.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Jimbo

@McShank said:

@Jimbo said:

Ugh, ER is a massive waste of manhours. I probably won't member up this year if half of it's gonna be taken up by ER.

90% of the community want to stare into Vinny's dreamy eyes while he strokes their hair, that doesn't mean it should happen.

Besides, I think they should be looking outwards with new content, not inwards - they already have the mancrush brigade. GB ought to be about games coverage delivered by personalities, not personalities delivered by games, imo.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#129  Edited By kerse

Just watched the video of the panel, besides it ending early it seemed pretty entertaining to me.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By lockwoodx

Carrie just needs to jump jeff's bones and get it over with. The panel was great except vinny/brad/patrick had maybe 4 lines each, and carrie bless her soul, was talking about a PC game to an audience full of console gamers. Maybe she was trying to redeem herself in front of her peers, considering she was extremely apologetic for warhammer, "nobody wants to make a shitty game" her exact words.... sounds like she wants to get away from EA. Not surprised considering the fight EA picked with steam is going to bury EA.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By lockwoodx

@dungbootle said:

Whatever happens I hope they don't force themselves to do something they hate.

You mean like play games? LoL Jeff even brought up during the panel that in his line of work journalists (himself) become very jaded being exposed to so many games.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By McShank

@Jimbo said:

@McShank said:

@Jimbo said:

90% of the community want to stare into Vinny's dreamy eyes while he strokes their hair, that doesn't mean it should happen.

Besides, I think they should be looking outwards with new content, not inwards - they already have the mancrush brigade. GB ought to be about games coverage delivered by personalities, not personalities delivered by games, imo.

So what your saying is that they should just keep doing what they have been doing and not have a little extra fun once in a while? As people have been saying, ER's would have them subscribe which means more money for the whiskey media and more peeps on the site. If you can honestly tell me that more people subscribing to the site and helping the crew continue doing what they love is a bad thing then i dont believe you need to even be here. They already bring news of almost every game as soon as they hear about it vs the what? 2 ER's they have done if even that? Did you not watch the persona 4 one? It is not like they do this monthly, so get over your high and mighty self and enjoy what they bring to you whether its exactly what you want or not.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#133  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Highlight of the show for me, second only to Aquisitions Inc, only because it was (and would have been regardless) longer. It was an awesome show, you would have waited longer than you sat there anyway, stop whining. It was awesome, be glad you got to experience it first hand.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Samaritan

Even if that queue room was fucking the hottest place on the entire face of the Earth, that panel was still awesome.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By ThePickle

Endurance Run needs to be Night Trap. The Time Trotter episode will likely never be seen.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Jimbo
    @McShank said:

So what your saying is that they should just keep doing what they have been doing and not have a little extra fun once in a while?

ER's aren't recorded in some kind of time vacuum.  ER's = less time for other content.  This should go without saying.

@McShank said:

As people have been saying, ER's would have them subscribe which means more money for the whiskey media and more peeps on the site.

Does it? We'll see.  Has it even been announced as subscription content?

@McShank said:

If you can honestly tell me that more people subscribing to the site and helping the crew continue doing what they love is a bad thing then i dont believe you need to even be here.

Yep, they love it.  That's why they've had to be relentlessly hounded into doing another ER since the last one ended, because they love it so much. (Also, I literally could not care less whether you believe I need to be here or not.)

@McShank said:

They already bring news of almost every game as soon as they hear about it....

They really don't.  Many games already get little or no coverage even when they aren't recording ER's.  I appreciate they have limited resources, and I also appreciate that dedicating those resources to ER for ~3 months means they have less available for other (and I would argue better) things.

@McShank said:

It is not like they do this monthly, so get over your high and mighty self and enjoy what they bring to you whether its exactly what you want or not.

No.  I'm not a guest at their house; I'm a paying customer and this is feedback.  Not all feedback is gonna be positive (see also: the title of this thread).  It's up to them whether they listen to it or not -I ain't saying they have to- and it's up to me whether I resubscribe or not.  I do think they run the risk of GB becoming stuck in a rut if they spend too much energy pandering to their hardcore / slightly creepy fanboy audience at the expense of content with a wider appeal, but that's up to them.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#137  Edited By ventilaator
    @Milkman said:

Yay, more bitching from the community. What else is new?

Being a fucking mindless drone who goes "Yay! I love you guys! Best gaming website ever!" even when the bonus for renewing your subscription ends up being a piece of turd or something is a hundred times worse in my mind.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Binman88
    @Buzzkill said:

@dungbootle said:

Whatever happens I hope they don't force themselves to do something they hate.

You mean like play games? LoL Jeff even brought up during the panel that in his line of work journalists (himself) become very jaded being exposed to so many games.

Which is absurd if you ask me. A lot of people spend their lives doing things they love and not get bored of it and cynical, despite the work involved or whatever negatives come with the territory. When you start to get jaded and dislike what you're doing, it might be time to call it a day or make a serious change in your life. 
    sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By sarge1445
    @Valwryn said:

Started 15 minutes late, and ended 30 minutes early =(. Left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, (presenters included) so thought I'd make a post about it. I know I personally was in line for ~2 hours and wasn't anywhere near the front, so hopefully those before me don't feel as disappointed with the Variety Hour as I do. Just not the best way to end the night waiting more time for an event, than the event itself lasted (according to the schedule). I know that's par for the course at PAX, but still a bummer to have it happen with GB, especially when it's too late to get into any other events (such as concerts) because of timing.

TLDR: Airing grievances! Carry on.

you shoulda checked the paramount i got right into the concerts after Giantbomb

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.