Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

ASUS P6T 6GB installed but only showing 4GB

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rmills87

Good morning (or evening for some), 

I will try to explain this as clearly as I possibly can.  It is an issue that is extremely frustrating. 

I built a new PC about two weeks ago. 

ASUS P6T X58 
    Intel Core i7 930 @ 2.8GHz 
    6GB OCZ DDR3 Triple Channel RAM 
    EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 480
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64  

After first booting up the machine, 6GB showed both in the BIOS, AND the OS. 
    Soon thereafter, I started noticing that after leaving the computer off for around 5 or more hours, both the BIOS AND the OS were reading 4GB.  HOWEVER, PC Wizard, CPUZ, etc. were all reading 6GB 

After a couple weeks of troubleshooting and COMBING through forums, this is what I have come up with. 

On cold boot, both the BIOS and OS will show 4GB.  After a SHUT DOWN, then POWER UP (NOT a restart), the system will read 6GB.  If the power is left off for more than 5 hours, the system reverts back to 4GB being read. 

Here is what I have done to try to determine where to go from here: 

1. Ran Memtest - 5, count 'em FIVE full tests run detecting all 6GB, PASS 
    2. Update the BIOS 
    3. Changed speed from "Auto" to "1333MHz" (and back again since it didn't work)
    4. Reseated processor (checked for bent pins, none bent) 
    5. Reseated all RAM, tested all RAM individually in all allowed combinations 
    6. Applied Windows updates for the fuck of it 

Now here's why it is so frustrating...After literally SCOURING through forums, I feel there just CAN'T be this many people having to send back parts.  Everything seems to work perfectly when the 6GB is detected!  I just don't understand and every time I talk to ASUS, they say someone will have to call me back and no one ever does. 

PLEASE, GiantBomb community - You have never let me down before I hope that it doesn't start now.  You guys are such a good wealth of information, some HAS to have gone through this. 

All of your help is EXTREMELY appreciated and I will try to stay as up to date as possible throughout this thread...some things I may not be able to try immediately, so thank you for your patience.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Jadeskye

This is my area of expertise but have you tried the Tested.com forums? Theres dudes on there that far outweigh my experience. 

Have you tried booting with just one stick at a time? if not try it multiple times, sounds like you might have a dodgy module.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno

I've actually had the exact same problem before, and my rig is fairly similar (Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz, 6GB DDR3, Windows 7 x64 HP, Nvidia GPU). To put it simply it...sort of resolved itself. It did it the first couple of months that I got it, but after that it would just constantly show 6GB. When it was happening though, I found a weird kind of fix, I don't know if it will work for you. In order for it to show up mostly as 6GB, first of all install the latest .NET Framework, then DirectX11. Next, go to DxDiag and make sure that you switch it to the DX11 info and restart. After that, it was 6GB 90% of the time until it eventually fixed itself. Probably not all of the steps are correlated to the fix (if at all) but I thought I'd share my experience. It's actually a fairly common problem, and no clear solution is known, but not a big deal for most applications. 

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rmills87

Thank you both - I will still monitor this thread but also post my request in the others.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rmills87
    @Geno: Wow, thank you so much...something I now remember, the 6GB was actually showing up for a couple days at one point, but after installing Fallout 3, it said that I needed to reconfigure .NET 3.5 Framework.  After doing so, this problem really reared its horns.  I guess I assumed it a coincidence.  I will CERTAINLY give that a shot...and you give me hope kind sir.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Geno
    @rmillz87: Indeed, FO3 was one of the first games that I installed on my computer as well, which is when I also started noticing the problem. Probably not a coincidence then. Hopefully it will resolve for you. 
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Problem pwnzrd? pwnzrd.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Jadeskye
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Problem pwnzrd? pwnzrd. "
    ugh you're gonna have to stop that before i go jay and silent bob on you.
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By rmills87

Okay so yesterday I needed to put some new thermal glue on the processor and after doing so, everything has seemed to been working.  I will keep this thread updated for anyone else having this problem.  Regardless, thank you all for your help!  Also, anyone else who has had this problem, please feel free to give your input!

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Lunarbunny

Looking at the P6T BIOS update changes, there appear to be 3 updates that address issues with memory. So if it hasn't been resolved, you might want to try updating to the most recent BIOS revision.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ISuperGamerI

Well I'm glad your problem is solved and nice rig bro.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @rmillz87: That's it? thermal paste is the solution? I can't belive that's all it takes. I'll use the advice if I have the same problem if I decided to build a new rig.
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rmills87
    @Lunarbunny: Updating the BIOS to the most recent version was actually one of the first things I tried to do to solve this issue - thanks for the advice though. 

@ISuperGamerI:
     Thanks for the compliment :) Yeah, I finally decided it was time to get some muscle and this thing is sweet! 

@HitmanAgent47:
     As weird as it sounds, it's what SEEMS to have fixed it.  We're on day 2 of no issues yet.  But I have a thought that MAYBE when re-seating the processor, I lined up the pins correctly?  Not sure, since it was the SECOND time I re-seated it.  And I'm not sure how pins don't line up in the first place. 

Once again, I will keep everyone posted each day for about the next week or so.
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By rmills87

OK...day #3 and I everything is still looking good - I'm hoping that everything stays OK.  As always, I will update as time goes by.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I was reading mobo reviews lately, someone wrote the same thing. He said when he loosened his heatsink, it would read all 6gb of ram. I think it's fixed now and it won't revert to 4gb.  

I googled the problem and lots of ppl are having this same problem, I guess that's the solution then, even if it didn't totally make sense to me right away. If it works, then it works because it might be blocking stuff.

Outrager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Outrager

I had a problem with my new PC where it was only showing half the memory in Windows 7, but was showing all 4GB in the bios. I just pulled out the RAM and reseated it and that seemed to work.

rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By rmills87
    @HitmanAgent47: Yeah, this is what was confusing me throughout this whole troubleshooting process.  There were so many "possible" fixes, after trying all of them, I felt I had nowhere else to go...until I thought of the wonderful GiantBomb community.  Should have checked here first!
    rmills87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rmills87

OK I guess this is day 6 and still no problems....I am so friggin hoping that everything will stay working!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.