Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Can I run Windows AND OS X on the same PC?

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Emilio

Okay, so I'll be starting school in January, and down the road I'll be using Macs and such for school, BUT I don't just want to buy an overpriced MacBook and whatnot if I'll only be using it for projects.

Is it possible to get a regular laptop and put two operating systems in it so I can just switch on and off for games/work?

Nikuls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Nikuls

You can but only by breaking the law, which I'm sure isn't condoned on this forum.
    MacBooks are totally worth the money.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Emilio said:
    "Okay, so I'll be starting school in January, and down the road I'll be using Macs and such for school, BUT I don't just want to buy an overpriced MacBook and whatnot if I'll only be using it for projects.

Is it possible to get a regular laptop and put two operating systems in it so I can just switch on and off for games/work?"
    Yes, you could bit it requires a lot of extra work and in order to get a PC that would run OS X and not have it freak will take about $600. It would be far easier to just get a MacBook and then use Bootcamp.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Emilio
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Emilio said:
    "Okay, so I'll be starting school in January, and down the road I'll be using Macs and such for school, BUT I don't just want to buy an overpriced MacBook and whatnot if I'll only be using it for projects.

Is it possible to get a regular laptop and put two operating systems in it so I can just switch on and off for games/work?"
    Yes, you could bit it requires a lot of extra work and in order to get a PC that would run OS X and not have it freak will take about $600. It would be far easier to just get a MacBook and then use Bootcamp."
    How good can MacBooks run games through Bootcamp?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Creating a Hackintosh is neither ridiculously expensive nor unfeasible.

MacBooks run games like absolute shit through Bootcamp.

changgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By changgo

The new MacBooks now have better integrated graphics (NVidia GeForce 9400M) than their predicessors, however, I don't know if I'd want to game on it - always depends what you want to play I guess.  That being said, hardware 3D acceleration is supported under Bootcamp.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Macs are worth it.
    And you can run windows on macs through Bootcamp.
    Granite they are not the best for gaming.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By StressedOutCat

Yea mac are good if your still new to computers.
    Its a good way to get started into home computing.
    But if you already know what your doing, its then just waste of good money.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Otacon

Running Boot camp is no different to running windows on a PC with the specs of your mac. The new Macbooks contain Nvidia GeForce 9400M cards so it's nothing to scoff at.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Emilio
    Otacon said:
    "Running Boot camp is no different to running windows on a PC with the specs of your mac. The new Macbooks contain Nvidia GeForce 9400M cards so it's nothing to scoff at."
    Now I'm just thinking if it would be better to build a computer with two HDDs, each running a different OS.
    Think that's better?

I'll mostly need the Mac side for running Apple's film software.
    Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Balls

Depends on what type of gaming you want to do. I've never understood gaming on any laptop. I will always have a desktop for PC gaming. Having said that though Bootcamp is pretty good for gaming. As long as we're not talking Crisis or anything like that. I mean remember PC World's Award for Laptop that ran Vista the best? Yeah, it was a MacBook Pro.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By giyanks22

Get a macbook, and you can use bootcamp. Buy a windows XP or Vista disc, and run bootcamp, and install windows on the mac. Then when you startup press option, and choose your operating system.

thanatos990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thanatos990

ya but its not legal, buy a Mac and dual boot that

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By oldschool

When you buy buy a Mac you are not buying a computer, you are buying a lifestyle!

But seriously, best of both worlds.  It is dead simple to choose Windows or OSX from start-up.  It will do anything that an equivalent Notebook will do on Windows, plus the massiv bonus of being a Mac.  As has been stated, it will not run really high end games, but if that isn't your plan, it doesn't matter.

I hardly ever bother with Windows on my Mac.  Frankly, Windows irritates me, but I do use it to play Civilisation IV and other strategy games that I can buy cheaper than the Mac version.  Get the Mac.
    fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By fynne

The problem is that MacBooks are still overpriced when compared with Windows laptops.  The 9400 is an ok card but it's not great for gaming.  If you get the Pro I think you get a 9600.  Much better but still not top of the line.  You also have to factor in the price of Vista if you want to use a MacBook.  That's an extra $100-$200 on top of the Mac.

That said, if you really want OS-X and Windows a Mac is your best best.  It is NOT easy to get OSX onto a PC.  This is on purpose.  Apple does not want you putting their OS on a Windows PC.  I saw a CNet how-to video on it and it's definitely not for the faint of heart.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Emilio
    fynne said:
    "The problem is that MacBooks are still overpriced when compared with Windows laptops.  The 9400 is an ok card but it's not great for gaming.  If you get the Pro I think you get a 9600.  Much better but still not top of the line.  You also have to factor in the price of Vista if you want to use a MacBook.  That's an extra $100-$200 on top of the Mac.

That said, if you really want OS-X and Windows a Mac is your best best.  It is NOT easy to get OSX onto a PC.  This is on purpose.  Apple does not want you putting their OS on a Windows PC.  I saw a CNet how-to video on it and it's definitely not for the faint of heart."
    I saw the C-Net video and its extremely easy. He only makes it sound really complicated because he takes up most of video talking about legal issues and Apple's BS policies.
    h8smikemoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By h8smikemoore

yes you can. most mac's use windows anyway, its called bootcamp. Also, you can run mac on a PC specially since mac is using intel chips now. just look up hackintosh. If that sounds complicated, just download VMWare.

albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By albaker

Yes you can but it's VERY confusing and annoying to do so, my brother did it a while back and took it off because it didn't run very well and there were some incompatible drivers, no updates from apple, and some programs just didn't run too properly on it. My reccommendation is to get a Macbook Pro, little overpriced but an amazing laptop, seriously, it also has a 9800M GT which is a great video card for mobile gaming

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.