Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

From GTX275 to what now?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sodiumCyclops

So I still have my GTX 275 pluggin away as some of you already know...

Seeing as the 470 and 480 are now and do not sound that awesome, which card would be the best upgrade based on value?

I was thinking the 5850, 5870, 480 or 5970?

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jmrwacko

You don't really need to upgrade from what you have now... the GTX 275 is still an almost-high-end card. I'd wait a year or so until the 5870 goes down in price. Or maybe you'd like to crossfire two GTX 275's? If you want to do all that crazy 3D triple monitor stuff Nvidia has been showing off, it might be worth it to get the 480 and 120 hz monitors, if you want to spend massive dollars.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @jmrwacko said:

" You don't really need to upgrade from what you have now. I'd wait a year or so until the 5870 goes down in price. Or maybe you'd like to crossfire two GTX 275's? "

you mean Sli btw, and then I would have to get a new Mobo with 2 PCIE slots.

After a year I'm pretty sure Sli and Crossfire will be gone thanks to Lucid anyway.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Geno
    @sodiumCyclops: The technology behind Lucid Hydra delivers inherently bad scaling, and on top of that there's very little driver support that comes with it. Lucid will not be replacing anything anytime soon.  

The GTX 275 should be fine for most games; as a rule of thumb, you should only upgrade if you can get something at least twice as strong. The GTX 480 is about twice as strong, and is actually pretty good value too with the only downsides being heat and wattage. Alternatively you could get a 5970 but that's not very good value for money, despite being very strong. 
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Geno said:
    " @sodiumCyclops: The technology behind Lucid Hydra delivers inherently bad scaling, and on top of that there's very little driver support that comes with it. Lucid will not be replacing anything anytime soon.   The GTX 275 should be fine for most games; as a rule of thumb, you should only upgrade if you can get something at least twice as strong. The GTX 480 is about twice as strong, and is actually pretty good value too with the only downsides being heat and wattage. Alternatively you could get a 5970 but that's not very good value for money, despite being very strong.  "

Ok, so even with the 480 being out, I should wait for a price drop and get that later on?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Geno

You don't really even have to wait for a price drop, it's simply good value for what it is at $499. It outperforms the HD 5870 by 15-20% on average and costs about 15-20% more. Though if I were you I would get cooled version such as the EVGA FTW ediiton to negate the heat issues as well as getting a small speed boost.  

But your current card is mid to high end so I'm not seeing a reason why you should upgrade at this point in time. Only "maxed out" type gamers require anything more, unless that's what you're going for. 

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @Geno said:
    " You don't really even have to wait for a price drop, it's simply good value for what it is at $499. It outperforms the HD 5870 by 15-20% on average and costs about 15-20% more. Though if I were you I would get cooled version such as the EVGA FTW ediiton to negate the heat issues as well as getting a small speed boost.   But your current card is mid to high end so I'm not seeing a reason why you should upgrade at this point in time.  "
    Ok, thanks for the tip.

I live in New Zealand btw so $499 does not directly translate to our currency without a jump in over all price ($499 USD should be $700 NZD), so it actually is more like $1050.

Unless of course, I buy it from the US and ship it over here.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Geno
    @PeasForFees: The 5870 is about 70-75% stronger than a GTX 275, not 100%. 
    JumpKick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By JumpKick

Hey, I'm in New Zealand as well. 

I'd recommened getting the 5870 you can get them for around $600 at the moment. As you said the 480 is coming out in the $1000 dollar range and I don't think its worth it. The 480's  a faster card but not 400+ dollars faster. Plus the higher power consumption/heat and noise may be a issue for you. I know I had to lower my overclock this summer because it was getting to hot. Plus the room with my computer was getting hella hot. 

I think it's better to spend the money on something else like a nice SSD or some Durgers. 

Anyway just my 2 cents.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ben_H

I would go with a 5870.  To me, Nvidia's new cards aren't really worth the crazy power consumption and heat, not to mention the price.  If you're looking at the 480 make sure your PSU is powerful enough.  Hardware Canucks said something like 250 Watts under load was drawn from the card.  Not to mention it runs at 95 degrees Celcius (!!!) under load.  Even with liquid cooling that seems a little high.

No matter what you pick out of the current mid-high end cards you will end up with a card that can run basically anything maxed so it's down to price or brand preference at this point.

zkillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zkillz

no reason to upgrade from a 275. i have the same card and haven't encountered a game that i wasn't able to play at decent, if not the highest, settings. also the 470 and 480 seem a little silly atm and i personally am going to wait till they have a second go at a fermi card.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By hockeymask27

Just thought I stop by and say, I'm so jealous, i got  a geforce7100 lol.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By salad10203

When price comes down, I would get a 5970, I saw some benchmarks where it beat the 480 gtx handily.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RsistncE
    @Fragstoff said:
    " upgrading from a 275 is a waste of money "
    1Gorebash1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 1Gorebash1

I also have a 275 but would of no intention of upgrading it right now, they still have a bit of weight to them.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I agree with geno, the gtx480 is probally the power your looking for. It's still expensive though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.