Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Graphics cards for laptops.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joshy9411

hey guys i was just wondering what a good graphics card would be for my laptop. im not a computer genius,  and im just not sure what gfx card to get for my laptop. if you have any suggestions, let me knw the model of the card as well as an aproximate price. 

thanks guys/girl(s). :)
    DarkFlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By DarkFlow83

You can't buy a GFX card for a laptop, your stuck with what it came with.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By IncredibleBulk92

Unfortunately you can't man.  Laptops are such closed systems that it's almost impossible to open them up and replace an old card.  There's a number of problems, firstly the size of a graphics card, the power consumption, propietary technology used by the laptop makers.  Some laptops can't even be opened up without special tools the manufacturer doesn't sell.  Your only options are to buy a new laptop or to upgrade a desktop machine.

joshy9411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By joshy9411

actualy i only bought the laptop recently and it has a slot, so i can get a new card installed. i bought the laptop with this in mind. 

i currently have an ATI Radeon 4650 ( i think)
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @IncredibleBulk92 said:

" Unfortunately you can't man.  Laptops are such closed systems that it's almost impossible to open them up and replace an old card.  There's a number of problems, firstly the size of a graphics card, the power consumption, propietary technology used by the laptop makers.  Some laptops can't even be opened up without special tools the manufacturer doesn't sell.  Your only options are to buy a new laptop or to upgrade a desktop machine. "

Yeah actually, some gaming specific laptops are more customizable than you think. Most of the Alienware laptops for example allow you to upgrade your graphics card. 
    Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    @JJWeatherman: Oh right.  Honestly did not know that.  The only laptops I've ever seen are just closed systems.  Think I'd still rather have a desktop PC.  Good luck finding something decent mate
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Lunarbunny

What model laptop is it? From what I know there have been a number of proprietary systems for laptop video upgrades, but I'm not sure if there is a standard (like mini-PCI is a standard).

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Matfei90
    @joshy9411 said:
    " actualy i only bought the laptop recently and it has a slot, so i can get a new card installed. i bought the laptop with this in mind.  i currently have an ATI Radeon 4650 ( i think) "
    I bet you paid quite a premium for that. If upgradeability was a key factor; why did you not just build a damn desktop and get even more oomph for your dosh?
    DarkFlow83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarkFlow83
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @IncredibleBulk92 said:

" Unfortunately you can't man.  Laptops are such closed systems that it's almost impossible to open them up and replace an old card.  There's a number of problems, firstly the size of a graphics card, the power consumption, propietary technology used by the laptop makers.  Some laptops can't even be opened up without special tools the manufacturer doesn't sell.  Your only options are to buy a new laptop or to upgrade a desktop machine. "

Yeah actually, some gaming specific laptops are more customizable than you think. Most of the Alienware laptops for example allow you to upgrade your graphics card.  "
    yes the alienware ones can, but they are special cards that are almost impossible to find.  I almost got on when they 1st came out.  They are not your normal GFX cards.  This Site has them, but I've never seen them in stores.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.