Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I need a new mouse...

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BigLemon

Okay, so when I originally built my computer, I ordered a keyboard/mouse combo from newegg, and everything seemed fine. No problems with the keyboard, but the mouse is acting all squirrelly on me lately. It's a wired (USB 2.0) optical mouse, and I was thinking of perhaps upgrading to a laser mouse. However, I don't know which one I should get. I've been looking on newegg the past couple of hours and I can't seem to get a good idea. 

Anyone know of any quality laser mice than can recommend?

I don't really want to spend more than $35, and I would prefer a wired mouse instead of a wireless. If my price range isn't reasonable, then let me know. I don't really have an idea of how much I should be spending.

I use it for some gaming, but it's mostly for just home computer stuff. I don't need a shitload of buttons or anything. Anyway, recommendations?

lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lhaymehr

I still have my cca. 5 year old wired MX500 USB mouse working. When put to the test that mouse can compete with much more expensive 'gaming' mouses like Razor and stuff. It has incredible response time, and when you overclock the USB ports it's even more precise and awesome. It's ergonomic, of comfortable weight, quality plastic, nice looks. 
    It has Left, Right, Middle, Forward, Back, Scroll Up, Scroll Down and one extra button, all customizable via provided drivers.

There are no more MX500 being made however, the closest thing to it is MX518 AFAIK. They are by external design identical, except color. The MX518 is apparently improved internally. You may find MX500 to buy somewhere but there's no driver support for 64bit OS-es.

Any mouse from Logitech MX series is a good choice IMO. An excellent all-around mouse that feels good in the hand, and can satisfy any requirement in gaming quite comfortably, and for a reasonable price. Around 35-40$.

HTH

lhaymehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lhaymehr
    @BigLemon: 
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/4259&cl=roeu,en
    torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By torus

I picked up my MX518 for about 25 bucks- and it's excellent. Make sure you like that grip style ('claw' grip, which means your fingers are more vertical than laying flat horizontal). If you like the other grip (god knows how, given that it's much slower in shooters), then get some kind of Razer (personally, I think they're overrated.) +1 for the MX518, I've had it for years and it's still excellent.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By rjayb89

Logitech G5 mouse.  I've had it probably for like 3 years and it hasn't failed me since.  Can't really elaborate on how great it is, but I've played Fallout 3, Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2 saga, etc. with no complaints or accusations of sucking because of my mouse not responding or whatever really.  I'm gonna guess it's like 30 bucks now?

Edit:  Nevermind, seems like they don't manufacture my mouse anymore.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6  Edited By Geno
    Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Kblt

Razer copperback earthgreen.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By gosukiller

I second the recommendations for the Mx518, G5 and would like to add the new G500 which im currently using. Having used all 3 of these I should say go with the G5 if you can find it cheap, but if the G500 is only  5 or 10 bucks more, go with that.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks
    empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By empfeix

You really can't go wrong with any of these peoples suggestions.  They are all solid.  Honestly since you are not particularly looking for something specific head on down to your local electronic store and see which feels right in your hand.  That has to be the most important factor. 

My mouse personally is a Razer and it has a low profile form factor.  Where as some mice have quite large "humps" - its all preference.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BigLemon

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions, guys. I think I've got enough info to make an educated purchase.

And am I going to notice the difference in control with a laser mouse versus an optical mouse?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @BigLemon: Most gamers still regards optical to be better than lazer right now, however lazer still needs to catch up to the precision of optical, yet it's newer technology.
    BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BigLemon
    @HitmanAgent47: Thanks
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Vinchenzo

I like the Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 6000. I recently bought mine. I had a malfunction but Amazon was happy to replace it, and I doubt you will have any issues. It works really well, and I like how the USB receiver fits right into the bottom of the mouse.

Wrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wrect

Logitech G5 is a good mouse.
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "  
    Razer DeathAdder. "
    This mouse has done me no wrong. I highly recommend it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.