Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I want to do some upgrades.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

Currently I have:

GeForce GTS 250
    AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core Processor

And after running the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark I've decided that I want to update my computers innards. What does everyone recommend on the graphics card/processor side? I don't have $700 to spend so something between $200-$300 would be nice. Each, obviously. Not altogether.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Barrock said:
    " Currently I have:  GeForce GTS 250 AMD Phenom 9600 Quad Core Processor  And after running the Final Fantasy XIV benchmark I've decided that I want to update my computers innards. What does everyone recommend on the graphics card/processor side? I don't have $700 to spend so something between $200-$300 would be nice. Each, obviously. Not altogether. "
    I noticed that the either my video drivers or the benchmark (or something else) are OS sensitive.  On the same PC, under WinXP (64 bit) I got a score of around 2900 (in "low" resolution).  Under Windows 7 (64 bit), I got  around 4743 (and better fps; I checked with fraps).
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Are you on a laptop?

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By eezo

don't buy AMD, Intel is way better...

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Barrock
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Are you on a laptop? "
    Nope. That's not a mobile card or processor is it? 

Also the computer came with the AMD. I know to go with Intel, but not which specific processor. :(

Also I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By captain_clayman

if your mobo supports it, get a Phenom II 
    if not, either upgrade your mobo and get a Phenom II, OR get a new mobo and a Core i5 or core i7 if you've got the cash.  i recommend sticking with AMD or Core i5 so you dont have to buy triple channel ram. 

for graphics cards, maybe get a 5770, or a 5830, OOOOOR even a 5850 (that should SMOKE most new games, except for...well crysis and metro 2033)

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Your cpu is quad at least, it's sort of slow. Just overclock it if you can. For the $300 option, maybe get a gtx465 videocard from nvidia. It might not be as fast as the gtx470, 480, however it's probally good enough. As stated for the above post, maybe a hd5830, hd5850 is also good choices, the hd5850 will be over $300, no phsyX. (re-edited)

I would check your mobo for what kind of amd cpu it can accept, like can it work with AM3 socket, then decide from there.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Barrock

The computer is a Gateway FX7200. Not sure of the motherboard. :(

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By SlasherMan

I would hold off on upgrading your hardware if this is just based on FFXIV's benchmark performance. It's obviously still not optimized (there aren't even any options), and the performance is not yet final. I'd suggest waiting.

However, if you insist, look at the Phenom II X4 955 or 965, both of which should work fine on an AM2+ board. For graphics cards, consider the HD 5850. 
    Though, I would really recommend holding off if FFXIV is your only reason for wanting to upgrade and wait till you see how it is when it's released.

BTW, 47 meant the 5830 and 5850, not the 4800 series.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Geno

Phenom II 965 BE - $180 
    Radeon HD 5870 - $400 

Alternatively, since FFXIV will be an Nvidia-optimized game you can go the Nvidia route with 

Athlon II 635 -  $100 
    GTX 480 - $500 

The clock speed difference will lower CPU-bound performance a bit, but could be mitigated with some overclocking. The GPU performance would have a 15-20% edge over the ATI solution, but will be hotter and more expensive to run due to higher power expenditure.

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By oDawg
    @Geno said:
    " Phenom II 965 BE - $180 Radeon HD 5870 - $400  Alternatively, since FFXIV will be an Nvidia-optimized game you can go the Nvidia route with  Athlon II 635 -  $100 GTX 480 - $500  The clock speed difference will lower CPU-bound performance a bit, but could be mitigated with some overclocking. The GPU performance would have a 15-20% edge over the ATI solution, but will be hotter and more expensive to run due to higher power expenditure. "
    What he said.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @SlasherMan said:
     BTW, 47 meant the 5830 and 5850, not the 4800 series. "

Yeah I was sort of sleepy when I wrote that, also it indicates my lack of care for ati products. Still i'll re-edit that now.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Barrock
    @SlasherMan said:
    " I would hold off on upgrading your hardware if this is just based on FFXIV's benchmark performance. It's obviously still not optimized (there aren't even any options), and the performance is not yet final. I'd suggest waiting.  However, if you insist, look at the Phenom II X4 955 or 965, both of which should work fine on an AM2+ board. For graphics cards, consider the HD 5850.  Though, I would really recommend holding off if FFXIV is your only reason for wanting to upgrade and wait till you see how it is when it's released.   BTW, 47 meant the 5830 and 5850, not the 4800 series. "
    Well it isn't only based on that. I figured it would be a good time to upgrade with all the new stuff out.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Barrock

Would I notice much of a difference going from the Phenom 9600 to the i7-930? And would I need better cooling?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.