Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Looking for better PC. Suggestions?

Smedles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Smedles

I really like playing games on my laptop, but frankly I'm getting a little fed up with my ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 card.  My parents bought me this computer for school and I'm thinking about getting a better option to keep at home.  The main problem I have is that I have no idea what a good machine is.  I don't know the difference from one graphics card or motherboard from the next.  I was hoping I could get a little advice on what to purchase.  I don't have any preferences except I want to spend under or around $1000.  I know really good PCs costs a couple thousand but thats not what I'm looking for.  Im just looking for something to give me good, not great, results.  I've been looking at three models so far, but suggest others if these are no good.
    Alienware Aurora
    Dell XPS 625
    Ultra Optimized Gaming PC (This is the one Crysis Warhead was built around).
    Once again feel free to point out a better PC.  Oh, and the main game I'm interested in is Left 4 Dead.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

If I were you, I'd avoid buying a Dell, Alienware or any other pre built.  At least go with a site LIKE (but not necessarily that site, as my friends had problems with them) Cyberpower Inc.

Take the time and do your research.  Even if you don't build the PC yourself, it'll help you operate the PC better if you know what you're buying.

For $1000 you could build a very great PC, but you'll throw a lot of that money away if you buy a Dell or Alienware.  Even if it comes down to you buying those same parts but putting it together yourself, you'll save a lot of money.

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By StressedOutCat

Most cases buying off the rack ends up being more expensive in the price and performance ratio..
    Best is to ask a friend or a family member who has built their own computer for help..these days it shouldn't be hard to find someone like that...

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By PowerSerj
    StressedOutCat said:
    "Most cases buying off the rack ends up being more expensive in the price and performance ratio..Best is to ask a friend or a family member who has built their own computer for help..these days it shouldn't be hard to find someone like that..."
    Yup, definitely look into building your own. Ask around and do a bunch of research. You can get an amazing computer for 1000$, granted you build it yourself.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You save a few hundred dollars by building it yourself and you will be able to build more in the future. There are alot of famous sites online to get really dirt cheap prices online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.newegg.com is where you want to shop.

I'd recommend something such as:
    Intel Core2Duo E7400 - Processor
    2gb DDR2-800 Corsair XMS2 or something along those lines - RAM
    512mb Sapphire or Palit 4850/4870 (ATI Radeon) - graphics card
    Whatever size HDD you want.. I recommend Seagate as a brand.
    Asus P5Q/Gigabyte P43 - motherboard
    All the other little bits you can choose yourself. Monitor I would recommend anything you want from Samsung or LG.

Once you've got all the bits you want, take them to a computer store and pay them $50 to put it all together for you.

All the computers you've listed aren't as good as that. That said, if you absolutely had to buy it pre-built, get the "Ultra Optimized Gaming" one. It's not too bad for the price.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

Build your own, buying one is ridiculously overpriced.

Kinarion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kinarion

I'm writing on an XPS right now, and I tend to agree with what's been said so far.  The only caveat being the warranty.  Depending on the sort of ware and tear you put your rig through, the warranty can be a major boon when shit goes awry.  Then again, I imagine there are those people who would say that the problems are due to poor manufacturing, but that's hard to judge.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm an avid member of the 'build-your-own' club. I just finished building a new PC actually.  Since my post a few minutes ago I've had a good look at that Ultra Optimized Gaming computer and it really isn't too bad at all for the cash. If you really, really can't be bothered going through the hassle of getting all the parts etc, just buy that, a monitor and I guarantee you will be satisfied.

You will get a bunch of people here (as you already have) telling you to build your own and while I generally agree with them, I understand how daunting the whole task can be. As easy as people here might lead you to believe putting a PC together is, it's much easier to have it already made with your OS installed.

My 2 cents.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By subject2change

I've recommended pre-built systems by IBuyPower and such to others in the past if that person is basic computer savvy. However if they are computer illiterate for the most part and don't know what a graphics card is or a hard drive then they would be best off with a pre-built machine from Dell or something as they can support them; that is unless they have tech savvy friends/family that would help with problems. As the warrantys from the "Gamer" custom built shops aren't the best compared to something usually simpler  for the home user like Dell or HP.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I would say to build one from scratch, you generally get good prices that way.

Shop around heaps and do a lot of research. Take a look around at review sites for hardware - Tom's Hardware.com is really good. That way you can get an idea of what a good system is.

Or you could look up gaming computers on youtube and check other peoples systems to get an idea.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Johnny5

Hmm guys, it seems like hes pretty low on experience and the blanket response of "build your own" doesnt always work and can be more hassle than its worth. Like for myself I wouldnt dream of buying a prebuilt but then again I waste way too much of my life following hardware. Its not too hard to get a decent prebuilt I'd think. I can give you rough specifications ,oh and thousands of dollars isnt necessary to be honest thats just the stigmata attached to PCs.

If you decide to try to get more into PC hardware try to focus on the CPU , Graphics Card and RAM as your main components, as they are the biggest pieces.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By BigBoss1911
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By subject2change
    Johnny5 said:
    "Hmm guys, it seems like hes pretty low on experience and the blanket response of "build your own" doesnt always work and can be more hassle than its worth. Like for myself I wouldnt dream of buying a prebuilt but then again I waste way too much of my life following hardware. Its not too hard to get a decent prebuilt I'd think. I can give you rough specifications ,oh and thousands of dollars isnt necessary to be honest thats just the stigmata attached to PCs.If you decide to try to get more into PC hardware try to focus on the CPU , Graphics Card and RAM as your main components, as they are the biggest pieces."

You can spend a grand (USD) and get a pretty good mid level gaming system. However focusing on the 3 components that are essential in gaming isn't the best thing to do, people always skimp out on a quality powersupply one of the if not the most important part of a system, the thing that can take down your system in a minute.

However building a computer now a days is pretty straight forward but isn't the easiest thing to do with no knowledge behind it and can be nerve racking. I was upgrading and tweaking my old Dell before I built my first system; built my AMD64 3000+ in July 04 and may Core2Duo in June 08.
    Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Seedofpower
    Subject2Change said:
    "I've recommended pre-built systems by IBuyPower and such to others in the past if that person is basic computer savvy. However if they are computer illiterate for the most part and don't know what a graphics card is or a hard drive then they would be best off with a pre-built machine from Dell or something as they can support them; that is unless they have tech savvy friends/family that would help with problems. As the warrantys from the "Gamer" custom built shops aren't the best compared to something usually simpler  for the home user like Dell or HP."
    Agreed
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By matthew
    Diamond said:
    "If I were you, I'd avoid buying a Dell, Alienware or any other pre-built.  Take the time and do your research.  Even if you don't build the PC yourself, it'll help you operate the PC better if you know what you're buying.HitmanAgent47 said:
    "
    HitmanAgent47 said:
    "You save a few hundred dollars by building it yourself and you will be able to build more in the future. There are alot of famous sites online to get really dirt cheap prices online. "
    CL60 said:
    "Build your own, buying one is ridiculously overpriced."

Seems like you have your answer.  Even if you don't build it yourself, be patient.  Do your research.  It will help you know whats going on inside that tower, and how to best optimized your setup.  Even if you've never built one before, there are scores of sites out there that have a hand-holding guide walking you through it. 
    Smedles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Smedles

Thanks for all the advice.  I was expecting that building my own PC would be more expensive than buying one off of the shelf.  I've been doing some research and the GeForce GTX 260 and Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 are looking good to me.  Thoughts?

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By subject2change

GTX260 Core216 would be the better model choice, costs like $10 USD more but significantly better. Also the new GTX275 just came out may wanna look at that, pending your budget.

The E8400 is good, however the Socket 775 motherboard is no longer gonna getting any new CPUs if you don't plan to upgrade your CPU thats fine but i'd probably go with a Quad now a days. I built a Core2Duo a year ago and while games aren't utilizing 4 cores yet, its better to have imo for the future. I'd go with a Q9650 or Q9550 again pending budget Quad 3.0 or Quad 2.83. Don't get me wrong though the E8400 is great chip but its somewhat not the future anymore; i'd tend to lean towards quads now as I used to be all about duals when they were running much faster stock than quads were.

And no building something on your own if you have knowledge is typically always cheaper if you have the tools and ability to do so.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By lamegame621

Newegg
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By neoepoch

Since this sounds like this is the first time you are doing this, be careful. Although building a PC isn't too hard, you can seriously screw stuff up if you aren't being careful. Be sure to read the manuals (most manuals are pretty clear) and ground yourself. Also get a friend who has done this before to give you a hand or pointers. But after you are done, it is pretty damn satisfying to have built your own PC.
     I built one in February, and it is a pretty good gaming PC that was a total of $600. It is worth it to make your own.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FCKSNAP

Yeah, build it yourself. And it ain't no thang if you don't know a socket from a parallel port (lol). I'd suggest going to any "Fry's", they'll build it for free (in most places) just pick out all the parts and they'll even throw in a linux dual-boot for you (cuz linux is free anyways).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.