Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Need a monitor, help me out

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Azteck

Hi. 

I've decided that, come Christmas, I'll build myself a gaming rig. All I have now is an old laptop that can't run anything, as well as my Xbox. However, seeing as I'm currently using it on my family's big-screen TV, I have to adjust to their times. So I figured that I might as well get a computer monitor now, and use it for my PC as well once it's built, and my 360 until then. I'll need to buy one either way in the end. 

However, looking in stores and such, there are so many things to look for. I want a good screen, preferably 24", and HDMI is required. What's the best I can get for ~330$ (can stretch a little, depending on the product) Have any helpful hints or advices you feel like sharing? 

Thanks, Robert.

(Edit: Wasn't sure which forum to put this in, this one seemed appropriate. If it requires moving, then please do so)

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

I use a 32'' HDTV for my main monitor and this for my secondary monitor. It's LED, 1080p and looks great. Not a bad price either. It's 22'' but if you want a bigger one they might make it.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Azteck

Also, additional question. How visible will the difference between 50Hz, 100Hz and 120Hz be to me when I play games on it?

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Azteck: For movies 120 hz will be totally visable. You will see ppl move fast and naturally, which doesn't look like film. For my toshiba regza, there isn't much difference for games and actually no imput lag or it's not noticable. For the sony bravia 120hz I own, you will notice an input lag. However for 120hz hdtvs, one great things compared to other 60hz hdtvs is you won't get any ghosting effect. I myself use a 1080p 120hz hdtv as my main display for my pc. 

As for recommendations. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236095    
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#5  Edited By alistercat

That's the refresh rate. V-Sync will synchronise your framerate to your refresh rate, but you can't see a difference in framrate over your refresh rate since your refresh rate determines how much you are seeing. So, 100fps on a game with a 60hz monitor means you can only see 60fps. 120hz monitors are made almost specifically for 3D support, because it renders 2 images at 60Hz to make the 3D so unless you want to invest in 3D don't get 120Hz.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Azteck
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Azteck: For movies 120 hz will be totally visable. You will see ppl move fast and naturally, which doesn't look like film. For my toshiba regza, there isn't much difference for games. For the sony bravia 120hz I own, you will notice an imput lag. However for 120hz hdtvs, one great things compared to other 60hz hdtvs is you won't get any ghosting effect. I myself use a 1080p 120hz hdtv as my main display for my pc. "
    Is that still relevant to 24" monitors? Should I aim for 100+ Hz?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Azteck: are you european because I don't have 100hz hdtvs here. I am talking about hdtvs and yes ppl still use 1080p 24" monitors. However maybe you should get something that is 1920X1200 resolution for a monitor. I say this because there is 1:1 pixel matching. If you watched a 1080p movie, you will have two bigger black bars on it, yet it will still fit. I only recommended a hdtv if you can recycle a 1080p hdtv. However if you can't, then get a monitor. Remember I only use a hdtv because I was fed up with the size of monitors and I didn't really find a suitable pc monitor with all the features I was looking for, with a good rating. But my point is, you can actually use a hdtv as a pc monitor. Most pc gamers still likes using a smaller pc monitor. I mean my hdtv is $900, not exactly something I will call affordable in terms of a pc display.  

There are actually 120hz monitors out there, they require like two dvi ports to power them. They actually render 120 frames if your card and output it. It's mostly for nvidia 3d vision and stuff. It's not he same interpolation you see in hdtvs where th ey try to insert a inbetween frame to add 60 more frames.

More recommendations i'm sneaking in. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001431     

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Azteck
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Azteck: are you european because I don't have 100hz hdtvs here. I am talking about hdtvs and yes ppl still use 1080p 24" monitors. However maybe you should get something that is 1920X1200 resolution for a monitor. I say this because there is 1:1 pixel matching. If you watched a 1080p movie, you will have two bigger black bars on it, yet it will still fit. I only recommended a hdtv if you can recycle a 1080p hdtv. However if you can't, then get a monitor. Remember I only use a hdtv because I was fed up with the size of monitors and I didn't really find a suitable pc monitor with all the features I was looking for, with a good rating. But my point is, you can actually use a hdtv as a pc monitor. Most pc gamers still likes using a smaller pc monitor. I mean my hdtv is $900, not exactly something I will call affordable in terms of a pc display. 

More recommendations i'm sneaking in.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001431     "

I am European, yes. So hertz is all the rage over here. Only reason I'm turning down full-HD TVs is that, to get great quality, I need to basically spend all I own. I was hoping to keep most of that for the PC build. I'd be perfectly fine playing on a smaller monitor for the time being, and if nothing else I still have a 42" in the living room to use. 

A friend recommended me this one:  http://www.webhallen.com/hardvara/111986-benq_24_tft_v2420h_led. Don't mind the Swedish, the tech language should still be understandable. Anyone have any opinions?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Azteck
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " @Azteck: you can watch a video review here. They recommended the samsung monitor I posted over this one. http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors/benq-v2420h/4505-3174_7-34117968.html     

sneaking this in. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103           "
    Problem with stepping it up to 27" monitors is that it starts to stretch my budget for a size-increase that I don't feel is that important to me. (Keep in mind that conversion from SEK to USD skews the numbers slightly, where the ones you've linked have cost about $80 more in Sweden)
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Azteck: well if those other ones are too big, i'm going with the first recommendation then. It's an LED and it's $200 american. If it's not suitable, at least I tried or gave you some direction. I haven't been researching the newest monitors because I stopped after getting my hdtv as a display. There are a ton of samsung monitors on this page that's around your price range. I used to have a samsung X1050 rez monitor and these monitors seems quite good. Maybe it's not a brand that you want, I don't know, I mostly have experience using samsung lcd monitors. I can't comment on LG, asus or ben Q. Try to find something with 2ms, milliseconds if you can, or it will blur more or even ghost. 1080p, or X1200 if you want even more resolution. Maybe you can find one that's good here since there are a lot of them around your price range. Read a few reviews and look for something that's high. I mean the monitors I recommended are probally stuff that's more suitable for me, which are bigger displays, however I suppose it's not for everyone. Maybe someone else can find you something better, I tried.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand=1077&SubCategory=20&name=SAMSUNG-LCD-Monitors&Pagesize=100 

Here is a good deal for $300, it even gives you nvidia 3d glasses, however it's only 22" and X1050 rez, I thought I should mention that. For other monitors, there seems to be a ton of $250-$300 monitors. (I only mentioned this because I saw it was on sale on newegg and said, free 3d glasses? No way, I know it's not the best recommendation, deal ends today)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001311     

Hans G, 28" monitor 3 ms, the only catch is the dynamic constrast ratio isn't exactly great and it's not that well known. There are smaller monitors for cheaper, however I won't recommend it. It's not my best recommendation, however I thought I mention it because it does have great value.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254043     

$289  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254052     

25" $189, dirt cheap, however the constrast ratio isn't great. They sure give you a bigger display for cheaper at least.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254048     

some asus monitor I recommended someone before and he liked it, it has X1200 rez at least. 25" and $289.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236047&cm_re=asus_X1200-_-24-236-047-_-Product    
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck
    @HitmanAgent47: Thanks, mate. I'll check some of them out.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ShockD

Whatever it is... Get a 1080p.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Diamond

I'd recommend totally throwing out everything you think you know and researching it hard.  The response times reported by LCD manufacturers are lies.  The colors reported by LCD manufacturers are usually lies.  The contrast ratios reported by LCD manufacturers are usually lies.  Bigger isn't always better.  Look for people that have done lots of comparison & analysis.  AVSForum (which is more focused on HDTVs over monitors) and HardOCP might be good places to start.

I'd recommend looking for a monitor that doesn't use TFT TN technology because dithering sucks.  Most people game on 18 bit color displays and don't even know what they're missing.

Anyways, the more effort you put in to finding something you will really like the more satisfied you're going to be.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By jelekeloy

Don't worry about HDMI, you can just get a converter cable.  For about $5, I got a HDMI-DVI cable that works fine with my ps3.  Also make sure it's 1080p and 16:9.  I use a 16:10 for my ps3, and it stretches out the picture, causing for some vertical jagginess.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By FesteringNeon
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Branthog
    @AlisterCat said:
    " That's the refresh rate. V-Sync will synchronise your framerate to your refresh rate, but you can't see a difference in framrate over your refresh rate since your refresh rate determines how much you are seeing. So, 100fps on a game with a 60hz monitor means you can only see 60fps. 120hz monitors are made almost specifically for 3D support, because it renders 2 images at 60Hz to make the 3D so unless you want to invest in 3D don't get 120Hz. "
    More importantly, if your game runs at 60fps and you are running your display in 120hz, you're not improving anything. Your source material only has a certain number of frames in it. Period. Worse, all the processing required to interpolate the new frames that it stuffs in-between existing frames to run at the higher refresh rates actually increases input-lag time -- which sucks for gaming and computing. This is why televisions turn off all of that shit and lower it to 60hz when you set it to their default "GAME" mode. 

I'd advise hitting up the AVSForums and checking on the benchmarked input lag (usually measured in ms or frames) for whatever panel one is going to purchase. I know that Samsung was particularly slow (5 or 6 frames of lag), in 2008 and 2009 while models like LG were in the mid to good range (2 or 3 frames of lag). The input lag becomes more noticeable and detrimental in FPS, fighters, and rhythm games, obviously. 

I also dislike the 120hz and TruMotion (etc, etc) bullshit when watching actual television or films. Films are filmed knowing they're going to have that 24fps "film" quality to them and they just don't look the same when stuffed with "smoothing frames" according to some algorithm. However, if one prefers that, then they can always get a set with it and just disable it when playing games or computing. 

Seriously, AVSForum is a great place to hang out and read up before making a purchase. Especially considering how rapidly display technology evolves, these days.
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warxsnake

Montiors are the hardest things to buy usually because companies don't feel like you need to know the core specifications of the panel you are buying. 

It all depends on what category you fall into: gamer, digital artist, entertainment consumer. 

This is also a really simplified list, I'm sure techies will quote this and go beserk and add in all sorts of technicalities, but if you want to get into that level of detail, you should be visiting a forum like [H]Forum or tomshardware or whatever.  

gamer: Go for a high grade TN or MVA panel with low input lag, and good color dithering (good cheating). Most panels are TN panels, cheap tech but some companies do it right. You usually have to spend time calibrating these monitors because they come in so fucked up. MVA is a good compromise between TN and IPS.  

Digital Artist: Go for a S-IPS monitor with good color reproduction, low input lag if you want. S-IPS are usually more expensive and waaaaay better panels when it comes to color quality.  

Entertainment (movies, music, web): Nothing more than a good quality TN panel. 

I run two monitors for example, an Acer G24 1920x1200 TN as my main monitor and for gaming, and a Dell2007WFP SIPS for texture/color work, and steam chat when in not working.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

your pretty much restricted to LCD monitors now your best bet is HP or Acer.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By floodiastus
    @Azteck said:
    " Hi.   I've decided that, come Christmas, I'll build myself a gaming rig. All I have now is an old laptop that can't run anything, as well as my Xbox. However, seeing as I'm currently using it on my family's big-screen TV, I have to adjust to their times. So I figured that I might as well get a computer monitor now, and use it for my PC as well once it's built, and my 360 until then. I'll need to buy one either way in the end.   However, looking in stores and such, there are so many things to look for. I want a good screen, preferably 24", and HDMI is required. What's the best I can get for ~330$ (can stretch a little, depending on the product) Have any helpful hints or advices you feel like sharing?   Thanks, Robert.  (Edit: Wasn't sure which forum to put this in, this one seemed appropriate. If it requires moving, then please do so) "
    I love blackrose screens from samsung, their colors are fantastic and I havent found a contender yet that matches it! Screens are very cheap as well.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By Geno

$330 is a really good budget for a high quality Full HD monitor. IPS monitors offer superior color accuracy and viewing angles. They are mostly high end though, and therefore do not include HDMI since that is an older technology (they mostly use DisplayPort which is superior in almost every way). Adapters can be found for ~$15. Here is a list of 1920x1080 IPS monitors in that price range: 

Dell U2311H
    HP ZR22w 
    NEC EA231WMi 
    ViewSonic VP2365WB 

I would recommend the Dell or NEC.

Toomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Toomz

If you're looking for something with HDMI support, tons of other inputs and comes in the size you're looking for, you could always go for an LCD HDTV. I bought a 23 inch 1080p Viewsonic for around 250. My experience with it has been great, and it does everything a monitor can as well as having support for other things (game consoles, DVR ect). However, I'm not sure if there's a distinct advantage for having a dedicated LCD that only works for PC's.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Azteck
    @Geno said:
    " $330 is a really good budget for a high quality Full HD monitor. IPS monitors offer superior color accuracy and viewing angles. They are mostly high end though, and therefore do not include HDMI since that is an older technology (they mostly use DisplayPort which is superior in almost every way). Adapters can be found for ~$15. Here is a list of 1920x1080 IPS monitors in that price range: 

Dell U2311H
    HP ZR22w 
    NEC EA231WMi 
    ViewSonic VP2365WB  I would recommend the Dell or NEC. "
    If DisplayPort was an option, I'd use it. But seeing as most graphics cards don't use that technology, and there's no such output on the 360, I don't see the use in putting down the extra money for it. And by the time that technology becomes a standard, I'll have upgraded this screen without a doubt.

I have a question though, maybe you don't know it. But if anyone else feels like pitching in, I'd appreciate it. If I were to buy a monitor that didn't have an HDMI-input, but only a display port one (Like the Dell monitor linked above) and used an HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter, would I get any quality loss in the image, of any kind?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24  Edited By Geno
    @Azteck said:

" @Geno said:

" $330 is a really good budget for a high quality Full HD monitor. IPS monitors offer superior color accuracy and viewing angles. They are mostly high end though, and therefore do not include HDMI since that is an older technology (they mostly use DisplayPort which is superior in almost every way). Adapters can be found for ~$15. Here is a list of 1920x1080 IPS monitors in that price range: 

Dell U2311H
    HP ZR22w 
    NEC EA231WMi 
    If DisplayPort was an option, I'd use it. But seeing as most graphics cards don't use that technology, and there's no such output on the 360, I don't see the use in putting down the extra money for it. And by the time that technology becomes a standard, I'll have upgraded this screen without a doubt.  I have a question though, maybe you don't know it. But if anyone else feels like pitching in, I'd appreciate it. If I were to buy a monitor that didn't have an HDMI-input, but only a display port one (Like the Dell monitor linked above) and used an HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter, would I get any quality loss in the image, of any kind? "
    DisplayPort is actually heavily pushed by ATI (now AMD), and it would be no mystery if Nvidia were to soon follow. It's a royalty-free connector that has higher bandwidth, which will be needed in the future of high resolutions, 3D gaming and multiple monitors. It's about as "standard" as a standard can be if companies like Dell, HP and AMD are using it. You shouldn't experience any quality loss either since both signals are digital.  

If you choose to stick with a lower end model that has a more direct HDMI connection, there's nothing wrong with that either. IPS isn't end all-be-all, especially for gaming. You can get plenty of adequate 24" 1920x1080 HDMI monitors in the $200 price range, which will save you money to boot. The Asus ones such as this one are quite popular. 
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Azteck
    @Geno said:
    " @Azteck said:

" @Geno said:

Dell U2311H
    HP ZR22w 
    NEC EA231WMi 
    If DisplayPort was an option, I'd use it. But seeing as most graphics cards don't use that technology, and there's no such output on the 360, I don't see the use in putting down the extra money for it. And by the time that technology becomes a standard, I'll have upgraded this screen without a doubt.  I have a question though, maybe you don't know it. But if anyone else feels like pitching in, I'd appreciate it. If I were to buy a monitor that didn't have an HDMI-input, but only a display port one (Like the Dell monitor linked above) and used an HDMI-to-DisplayPort adapter, would I get any quality loss in the image, of any kind? "
    DisplayPort is actually heavily pushed by ATI (now AMD), and it would be no mystery if Nvidia were to soon follow. It's a royalty-free connector that has higher bandwidth, which will be needed in the future of high resolutions, 3D gaming and multiple monitors. It's about as "standard" as a standard can be if companies like Dell, HP and AMD are using it. You shouldn't experience any quality loss either since both signals are digital.  

If you choose to stick with a lower end model that has a more direct HDMI connection, there's nothing wrong with that either. IPS isn't end all-be-all, especially for gaming. You can get plenty of adequate 24" 1920x1080 HDMI monitors in the $200 price range, which will save you money to boot. The Asus ones such as this one are quite popular.  "
    If what you say is true, and I have no reason to doubt it, maybe I should just go for one of the monitors you posted. Currently, the Dell one is looking pretty good (as well as a DisplayPort-HDMI adaptor) and is in a good price range. Received some good reviews as well. Hmm.. tempted to buy it. Just have to make some phone calls. Thanks.
    1DER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By 1DER
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By ZimboDK

I actually just got a new monitor. It's a BenQ G2420HD. 24" full HD, HDMI, VGA and DVI-D input. I wrote a small review of it on Tested. It's pretty good but since your budget is higher than mine, I bet you can do better.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Azteck
    @1DER said:
    "

I use the Samsung XL2370 both for PC and 360 gaming, and I love it.

"
    I'm glad you said that. How did you go about getting the sound from the game and the image to the screen? Since screens usually don't have speakers that the HDMI cable can send sound through, how did you do it?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Azteck: you can just route sound out of the back of the pc to a pc speaker system. Your motherboard should have sound output jacks at the back of the pc. No need to mess with the monitor. If your monitor has speakers, all the better, yet the speakers aren't that loud or have alot of bass. It's sort of low wattage.

Also for future considerations, lets say you want to get sound out of a console and you have no idea how to for that style of monitor. I mean i've been there and I wanted to try it, get one of these things. I even used this to route sound to my pc to my home theater reciever. I actually have a 5.1 big speakers all around my pc on the ground, yet that's only a crappy two channel that goes to 4 channels and a sub in pro logic 2 using these av cables. Just thinking ahead I suppose from experience incase you ever choose some monitor without speakers. Good luck with your monitor search and find something at least with lower response time if you can.   

Lol I just realised my new pc has a coaxial optical output unlike my last pc. Now I can get 5.1 sound without this thing I posted to my reciever, yet my videocard already outputs sound through hdmi to my glossy reflective hdtv. However that's just one of the ways of getting sound to a monitor from a console if you ever have to figure out a way to get sound. I think this thing is called a stero to av adapter or something like that. It should look like this and only cost a few dollars.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By turbomonkey138

120 hz /thread 

1DER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By 1DER
    @Azteck said:
    " @1DER said:
    "

I use the Samsung XL2370 both for PC and 360 gaming, and I love it.

"
    I'm glad you said that. How did you go about getting the sound from the game and the image to the screen? Since screens usually don't have speakers that the HDMI cable can send sound through, how did you do it? "

I actually have both the A/V cable and HDMI cable plugged in to the 360 at the same time. You can crack open the A/V cable case pretty easily so that both will fit at the same time.

The A/V cable then runs to a composite to stereo jack like HitmanAgent47 posted a picture of above. That then feeds into a female to female jack which you can plug headphones, or your speakers into on the other end.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#32  Edited By FakeKisser

Personally, I would go with ASUS. 

I'm just trying to decide between a 24" and a 25.5" myself...

j_drace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By j_drace

I had my Alienware hooked up to my 46" Sony Bravia XBR4 120Hz and it was fantastic.  I also have my PS3, 360, and Wii hooked up to it as well.  For gaming I don't know if I notice a difference when comparing the 120Hz Bravia to my other 60Hz Bravia.  For movies and TV the difference is incredible.  The first time you watch something in 120Hz it's amazing, almost unreal.  It seems like everything is natural flowing.  As for monitors the Apple Cinema or whatever they are called now are excellent fucking monitors, but they are obviously out of that price range.  About three years ago or so when I built my Dell XPS I bought a 24in WFP monitor for it and it was excellent as well.  Dell makes some really good monitors, which is why I would recommend Alienware OptX AW2210 21.5 in.  I've also used Samsung monitors and they were great, but did not compare to the Dell monitor I had.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.