Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New Laptop

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MadeinFinland

Good day,
    This coming fall I will be attending University and my parents are putting $1000 towards a laptop. Naturally, it'll be running Windows, and I already have a disk for Windows 7 Ultimate so that won't be in the cost. However, I was curious as to what you guys would recommend for a decent computer? To be honest, I'm only looking for something that will run Diablo III and Starcraft II gaming-wise, so definitely not something state-of-the-art, such as for Crysis. If you guys have any recommendations, please let me know.
    BTW - I do have a bit of money of my own that I will be able to throw on top, but I'd rather not put in more than $500 myself. So, price range is $1000-$1500, want to run a few of the new games, and if any other questions, I'll answer them promptly. I'll be buying it start of June.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By animateria

I saw a pretty kick ass ASUS in Best Buy for 1000 bucks.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Osaladin
    @animateria said:
    " I saw a pretty kick ass ASUS in Best Buy for 1000 bucks. "
    One of these 2?

Asus G72x
    Asus G60jx

I plan on buying one of these laptops, $1000 is my limit, and they both seem quite capable. I can't decide on which one to get though, I plan on playing Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Bad Company 2,  and Borderlands. Sorry to kind of hijack this thread, but I was curious myself.
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By animateria
    @Osaladin: 
    Sorry I don't remember. Might be the second one. Looked like it anyways.

But I do know it was much higher speced than my Desktop. Which can run Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2, L4D2 on the highest settings.
    MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MadeinFinland

@Osaladin: Those look nice. It is a hard decision, and if they can play those games then Diablo 3 and SC2 would be no problem. Hell, my PC right now can barely run the first ME on minimum graphics.

I'll keep looking, but those are definitely the type of laptops I'm looking for.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Geno
    @MadeinFinland:
    Do you have W7U from a previous purchase or did you buy it just for your laptop? Because laptops already come with W7HP which is all that you will need as a student.  

Anyway, here is a good page for laptops, keep in mind that Asus and Toshiba are the best brands, with HP in a close third.  

Also keep in mind that laptops are considerably more expensive than their desktop counterparts due to form factor, and almost no laptop (even at the extreme end) can play modern games at the highest settings at 60fps. At most, they can go maybe medium settings. I would actually recommend getting a ~$300 netbook, a $200 monitor and a $1,000 desktop with your budget.   

My even stronger recommendation is not to get a laptop/netbook altogether and put your entire budget into a desktop setup instead. As a university student, you have to draw charts, diagrams, maps and equations on the fly, and a laptop isn't exactly the best medium to do this. The highest performing students stick with the traditional pen and paper. You will also be getting much better value for money in terms of performance. 

@Osaladin

said:

" @animateria said:

" I saw a pretty kick ass ASUS in Best Buy for 1000 bucks. "

One of these 2?

Asus G72x
    Asus G60jx   I plan on buying one of these laptops, $1000 is my limit, and they both seem quite capable. I can't decide on which one to get though, I plan on playing Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Bad Company 2,  and Borderlands. Sorry to kind of hijack this thread, but I was curious myself. "
    The G60jx is literally twice as good. 
    Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Osaladin
    @Geno:  Even with that graphics card and the lower resolution? I also heard that the G60 runs hotter then the G72 and is a bit louder.

Sorry for the ignorance, I've been out of the PC game for quite a while, and before anyone says it, a desktop is not an option, I go to school out of the country, I can't fly with my desktop everywhere.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Geno
    @Osaladin:  

Core i5 Quad core > Core 2 Duo Dual Core 
     GTS 360M > GTS 260M
    4GB DDR3 > 6GB DDR2  
    2 hr battery life > 1 hr battery life

With games, running above 720p on a laptop at high settings while trying to get a good framerate is almost impossible. The 1600x900 res on the G72 might be better for productivity though, I suppose that's up to you. But spec-for-spec the G60jx you listed is much better. 
    MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MadeinFinland
    @Geno: As for the W7U, I got it for $10 from Microsoft, because a family member sells microsoft products and did some quizzes for microsoft (that's not really important), but yeah, we got a great deal on it. I'll be sure to take a look at the page you linked.  And I'm definitely going with either Toshiba or Asus.

Also, just a note, when I order it, I'll probably be getting it through Staples Business Depot since I am eligible for discounts there. Though I can probably get more-or-less identical laptops as those listed through them.

I agree with Osaladin about the laptop. I already own a PC at home, and if I wanted to, I could just keep upgrading it. What I'm looking for is a laptop and, to be honest, running games is really just gravy. I am going to a different province (Canadian) for university, so - like for Osaladin - a PC would just be a burden.
    Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Osaladin
    @Geno said:
    " @Osaladin:    Core i5 Quad core > Core 2 Duo Dual Core  GTS 360M > GTS 260M4GB DDR3 > 6GB DDR2  2 hr battery life > 1 hr battery life With games, running above 720p on a laptop at high settings while trying to get a good framerate is almost impossible. The 1600x900 res on the G72 might be better for productivity though, I suppose that's up to you. But spec-for-spec the G60jx you listed is much better.  "
    Thanks for that, you shed a lot of light on those 2 laptops. However just one correction, the G72x has a GTX 260 video card, I think that is better than a GTS version, but like you said, at that lower resolution, it would probably be more than enough.
    Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Legend

I just bought a Dell Studio 17 which has a touchscreen, a bluray RW drive, an Intel i7 processor and a great graphics card. I was able to play new games like Star Trek Online, Street Fighter IV and Borderlands on the highest settings. The touchscreen is also great for MMOs as you can just click on your action bar on the screen instead of using a mouse.
    Here are the specs:
         Intel® Core™ i7-720QM Mobile Processor (1.6GHz, turbo up to 2.8GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
        4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]
        1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650
        500GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
        Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit
        Blu-Ray Disc (BDRW) Rewritable Drive (BD Read & Write) drive including software
        Dell Wireless 1397 Mini Card (802.11 b/g)
        Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module
        Primary 9-cell 85 WHr Lithium Ion battery
        2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
       17.3” High Definition+ (1600x900) Multi Touch LED with TL

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Organicalistic_

sony or asus

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MadeinFinland
    @Legend: Touch Screen you say? Oooh, the sudden want to buy something for a relatively useless function is coming upon me. But, sadly, I think I'll stick to a normal laptop. Very tempting though.
    jack_daniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By jack_daniels
    @MadeinFinland:  This would be the best place to start looking : 
    http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/?tag=TOCleftColumn.0 
    IT has some of the best reviews. All the brands are competitive and there isn't one "best" laptop producer. My parents and friends have Dell's and they work great. Sony has ALOT of bloatware, which needs to be unistalled. Emachines are GARBAGE. Just check out the review site and try to ignore the fact that its owned by the same company that owns gamespot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.