Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC upgrade help

casualterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By casualterror

I'm looking to upgrade my PC. and I have no idea where would be the best and cheapest place to start.

Specs: Dell XPS 400

• Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    • Memory: 3070MB RAM
    • Hard Drive: 249 GB + 500 GB External Hard Drive
    • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE
    •  Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    • Sound Card: SigmaTel Audio
    • Speakers/Headphones: Audio FX pro 5+1
    •  Keyboard: Logitech G15 gaming Keyboard
    • Mouse: Logitech USB MX518 Optical Mouse
    • Operating System: Windows 7 32-bit
    • EDIT: My motherboard is Dell Inc. 0FJ030 

I know I need to update my Graphics Card but I don't know to what. That's what I need help with. What I want to know is what needs to be upgraded and what do I look for to find the upgrade and make sure it works on my rig?
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I have the same computer for the most part (Didn't add any RAM or upgrade to Windows 7), but this graphics card I got today helped me go from barely being able to run Street Fighter IV, to running it pretty well. I'm sure you can find a better video card for a better deal, I'm just waiting for the PC brigade to respond.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bobdaman18

I dunno If i'm going to be able to help but if you posted some of the games you're looking to play and a budget it might get you some results.  Knowing the motherboard would also be useful if you have that on hand.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @casualterror: 

With that rather slow CPU and piddly weak PSU do not buy an ATI card as you will struggle to run it properly.  I can't stress this enough.

Get a low power 9800GT.  That is just an example, but look for any 9800GT that doesn't use an external power connector.
    casualterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By casualterror
    @Bobdaman18: The one game that really kind of pushes my PC is Dragon Age. all the settings are on low and even then it's runs at 20fps
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Geno

That computer doesn't need an upgrade as much as it needs a complete overhaul. 

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HitmanAgent47

If you still want to upgrade the pc, so you can get a bit more life out of it without buying or building a new pc, the you need a bigger powerwatt supply and a new videocard.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By septim

Yeah get a 8800gt / 9800 gt for cheap and you should get respectable performance in most games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.