Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Rank importance of specific hardware in today's rigs (first build

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PISTOLcm

I'm building my first budget gaming rig this week, and I need a little advise on what hardware is best to expand on, while saving money in other areas. For instance:

I could buy a Core i7-860 ($270) and get a 9800GTX ($140) for a total of $409. ((Sacrificing GPU for CPU))
    OR
    I could buy a Core2 Quad Q9400 ($190) and get a GTX 275 ($209) for a total of $399. ((Sacrificing CPU for GPU))

I could also downgrade both mentioned components in exchange for more RAM, etc.

So, my question is, what's the most important component these days? I know it used to be GPU, but I hear people talking about CPU and RAM more than ever. What's your input?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

There is a lot of variation in a game by game basis, as well as if you're considering long term ease of use versus short term games.

GPU is more important, yet graphics standards aren't really being pushed.  I'd say for most games your Core 2 Quad Q9400 + GTX275 would be the far better performing computer.  However if you upgraded your GPU on the other computer in a year or two that one would be far better.

Some games like Supreme Commander or Grand Theft Auto 4 require a disproportionate amount of CPU power for optimal performance.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Well dual core is pretty much standard these days so that's sufficient. Quad core maybe too much but if you got the money I see why not.
    If you're using vista than 4 rams is what you need if you're aiming for high performance.
    GPU is fairly important. The hard part is just choosing which model really. Personally I found ATi cards to be reliable.

All three are important so try to keep a balance rather than favouring one over the other. 

Anything specific you want to know?

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PISTOLcm

So a i7 build wouldn't outweigh a solid GPU?

Also, should I go for DDR3 or the old DDR2 stuff?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @PISTOLcm said:
    " So a i7 build wouldn't outweigh a solid GPU?  Also, should I go for DDR3 or the old DDR2 stuff? "
    The 9800GTX would definitely under perform in a few games right now, I'd say.  The CPU isn't going to make up for that loss.

If the computer you're building requires DDR3, go with that, if not DDR2.  Also, RAM speed itself isn't relevant towards anything but overclocking.  4GB should be enough for any game right now, and of course you can upgrade in the future.  Definitely get 4GB and use a 64-bit OS though.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By eroticfishcake

DDR3 sounds good. But if you're on a tight budget. DDR2 shoud last a few years until DDR3 becomes standard.

Also depending on the game in question the GPU or CPU could be more important.

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @Diamond said:
    " @PISTOLcm said:
    " So a i7 build wouldn't outweigh a solid GPU?  Also, should I go for DDR3 or the old DDR2 stuff? "
    If the computer you're building requires DDR3, go with that, if not DDR2.  

What mandates DDR3 use?
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PISTOLcm

Also, should I go for the 64-bit Vista for System Builders?

Not sure what the difference is.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous

9800GTX would definitely underperform on a few of today's more graphically-intensive games.

I'm about to order a new computer myself. Going with a Dual Core and a GTX 275.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Diamond
    @PISTOLcm said:
    Also, should I go for the 64-bit Vista for System Builders?  Not sure what the difference is.
    'for system builders' means it's an OEM copy, and it's harder to install on a computer with different hardware (if you change your motherboard for example, you'll have to call MS and hopefully they'll give you a verification code). 

@PISTOLcm said:
    What mandates DDR3 use?
    It'll say in the motherboard description.  Definitely see what the motherboard needs before you buy.  I haven't checked up recently but I think all i7 motherboards require DDR3 but I could be wrong about that.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman

I'd say in 99% of cases the GPU is more important when it comes to running games. If games are all you are interested in then go with the better GPU.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Cpu at a high speed might help with less bottlenecking of framerates, which you can overclock if you know how. Also the gpu is more important obviously, it renders graphics. You could just get a i5 cpu, that's $200 on newegg.com and go with the gtx275.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Every part is important. But it's easier to upgrade things like the video and sound card and ram down the road so it's best to take the best and most futureproof motherboard, processor, case and power supply you can to begin with. The cpu is not less important to the GPU for games.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By sjschmidt93

My shitty single-core processor is what keeps me from running a lot of stuff.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By torus

Rendering is done on the GPU. AI, other things (such as physics, sometimes), are done on the CPU. In games, GPU is more important. In non-realtime rendering, cpu is.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MrKlorox

Sacrifice GPU for CPU and get a weak card right now. Later this season you should be able to find a better card for the same price.  
    I have two 9800 GTX+ running in SLI and still get outperformed by single 200 series cards. I think ATI's 5000 series is coming out soon and it looks sweet.

Also RAM is cheap and SUPER EASY to install more when you feel you need it. Don't worry about that.

You don't wanna upgrade the CPU again for a long time because that'll probably mean a whole new system.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@PISTOLcm said:
     Core i7-860 ($270) and get a 9800GTX ($140) for a total of $409. ((Sacrificing GPU for CPU))   
     Core2 Quad Q9400 ($190) and get a GTX 275 ($209) for a total of $399. ((Sacrificing CPU for GPU)) 
    Im guessing with both of these setups you could run pretty much everything on the market right now, not an expert tho
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PISTOLcm

Seriously thinking about going for the GTX260, Core2 quad and 4 gigs of RAM.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @HitmanAgent47: 
    I was looking at this 260, overclocked to 655ghz:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127426&cm_re=msi_gtx_260-_-14-127-426-_-Product
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PISTOLcm

@HitmanAgent47:  The one I linked is a 216 :P

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond

Yea I agree don't waste your money on a pre overclocked card.  I don't even think they build them at a higher production quality or anything.  I don't like overclocking anyways though, just makes stuff run hotter and your fans thus noisier.

PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @Diamond said:

" Yea I agree don't waste your money on a pre overclocked card.  I don't even think they build them at a higher production quality or anything.  I don't like overclocking anyways though, just makes stuff run hotter and your fans thus noisier. "

Yes but with those two fans on the GPU itself it would run cooler with two slower fans, and with less noise than one really fast fan. 

@HitmanAgent47:  If I got the i5, that means my MOBO would be more expensive and I'd have to buy DDR3..that's really pushing my budget.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Diamond
    @PISTOLcm: Good point, although those 2 fans might still be louder even if they're running somewhat slower, just because there are 2 of them, and well they could amplify the sound.

If instead of 2 fans it had a bigger fan I'd agree.  When you get your case you should get one that supports and/or comes with as big size fans as you can.  120mm or 140mm or even more.

edit - I don't think that overclocked video card has 2 fans...
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @Diamond: 
     I was referring to this one, not the 'superclocked' evga that he linked.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127426&cm_re=msi_gtx_260-_-14-127-426-_-Product  

Also, disregard what I said about i5's price..looks like the i5 mobos and DDR3 are cheaper..
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Diamond
    @PISTOLcm: Ah I see.  That doesn't seem like a bad choice, I have no experience with MSI products.  I've only bought EVGA cards for a long time, because they have a number of good policies.  You do pay more with EVGA though...
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @Diamond: What kind of CPU would you say i'd need for all of this? I found a nice price on a 630 watt..should I bump that to 700?

edit: PSU :P
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Diamond
    @PISTOLcm: 

PSU?  (I realize you probably typoed).  Brand is very important.  What brand is that 630W?  I'm using a Corsair 550W with my GTX260 core 216, core 2 duo, 4gb of RAM...  I think I should have gone with more because if I get a GPU with more power requirements I'll probably have to upgrade the PSU as well.  My computer is perfectly stable.
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PISTOLcm
    @Diamond:

It's a RAIDMAX, seems like a widespread brand, as far as I know. It is selling for 50 dollars on Newegg.
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By Lunarbunny

GPU is definitely the most important component for titles utilizing engines that took full advantage of high-level shader languages when they originated. Examples would be id Tech 4 (Doom 3, etc.) and Unreal Engine 3. I would consider this the majority of the market at this time. 
    The exception to this rule is engines like Source that did not originally make extensive use of high-level shader languages; these titles are typically CPU-limited but not terribly; a good GPU is still the top recommendation. 

I suspect there will be a price reduction on current-gen GPUs in the near future as DirectX 11 GPUs are finally released. The ATI HD5000 series is due next month and while I haven't heard much news on the nVidia front, their response is likely to at least reduce their existing GPU's prices to remain competitive.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @PISTOLcm: Okay, makes sense, I didn't realise this i5 cpu needs a new type of mobo. Maybe it's better if you go with the quad core. Also your psu should be good enough, my cheap coolmaster psu's fan stopped working. Quality is important, however I think you have enough power and it should last. I also now have a 750watt cosair psu, works flawlessly, however your psu should be okay. I overclocked my gpu alot, it dried out the themal paste after a few years, I installed a new heatsink with three fans on it so I can really overclock it alot. I'm saying if you are not happy with the clock core, you can always raise it with a program easily and increase the fan speed to deal with the heat without spending alot more money for your card.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.