Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What causes striped shadows (graphical glitches)?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By BBAlpert

I started playing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West on Steam today, but I noticed some weird graphical issues, particularly during cutscenes. My graphics card is a GTX 570. I have a feeling it's a heat problem, as MSI Afterburner was showing temperatures of around 97 C during gameplay (and is showing an idling temperature of 73 C right now...)

So if it is a heat problem as I suspect, do you have any suggestions on how to get it running any cooler? Thanks!

A screenshot of the problem, specifically on the guy's neck and right shoulder
    A screenshot of the problem, specifically on the guy's neck and right shoulder

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
    chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@bbalpert: It's nothing to do with heat, so don't worry. I've seen this with other games as well and it's just the result of low resolution shadows or a poor shading implementation. Not much you can do about it I'm afraid.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert: It's nothing to do with heat, so don't worry. I've seen this with other games as well and it's just the result of low resolution shadows or a poor shading implementation. Not much you can do about it I'm afraid.

Really? Well that's a relief then. Thanks.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

While that's not an overheat issue, you are running too hot. Do you dust your fans regularly, and vent out to an open area?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

While that's not an overheat issue, you are running too hot. Do you dust your fans regularly, and vent out to an open area?

I dust it out from time to time, although I haven't gotten in and around the graphics card lately. I've been meaning to pick up a can of compressed air and get that cleaned out. The wires and cables in my case are also kind of a mess, so I figure that airflow is a problem too.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

97 is the max your GPU is designed for, which probably means it's undervolting itself to prevent a complete failure. It should not be getting that hot.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should do whatever you can do get the temperature down. Running at that heat isn't healthy for your machine.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

@shagge said:

I dust it out from time to time, although I haven't gotten in and around the graphics card lately. I've been meaning to pick up a can of compressed air and get that cleaned out. The wires and cables in my case are also kind of a mess, so I figure that airflow is a problem too.

Yeah, I'd definitely get that taken care of ASAP. That's dangerously hot.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Damn, that's super hot even for idle. Doesn't leave much overhead. Idle for my CPU is around 30-33 C while my GPU is currently 29 C.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

looks like poor shading and shadow rendering. Probably not anything to do with your graphics card and more to do with it being a port of a console game so the shadows just aren't very well rendered (as it renders better that way on consoles).

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

@bbalpert: This has nothing to do with overheating in this case. Enslaved is a really bad port. There is a guide that you can find to address this and a number of other graphical issues in the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.