Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

What is the point in being a PC gamer anymore?

• 76 results
    Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

I have been getting upset recently with all the talk of the PC being dead. Now I don't give a **** if someone already posted something much like my post. So don't bother commenting if that is your comment, cause I have something to say.

I watched E3 with my fingers crossed, hoping to see the next big PC game. But I was thrown a loop by the amount of console games vs pc games. Also the fact that games like Killzone 2 blows every other game out of the water in terms of graphics, even Pc games. Now I purpose a question to all of you thinking of "staying true" to the PC. Where is the PC's killzone, or GoW2, or halo, or any game that really stands out. You might say "what about wow, or spore, or crysis". To which I will reply, they are fun but they aren't competitive like their console brothers. Wow is an mmo, yes they have arenas, but it isnt like a GOW where you and your friends can jump in and have fun for a few hours without half of the time you spend ingame is getting to the arena. Spore, is not multiplayer, and Crysis is NOT optimized, idc what anyone says it is not. Then you can look at games like far cry2, left for dead, ect. But those games are also coming out on consoles, and will be limited in graphical power.

When is a developer going to go "balls to the wall" with a title for the PC. I see a lot of European developers going that route, but i am sorry, they dont have the proper resources or knowedge to really optimize a game (crytek, funcom vs an american blizzard).

The thing that gets me, is when i spend $2000+ on a computer (one that i built myself) and where my GPU is the same price as the PS3, and games are looking much better on the PS3 then on the PC. Where is the justice in purchasing something that expensive(a PC) and not being rewarded with any software that makes it look or play better then any console AAA title on the market now.

When the **** are PC developers, NO, PC gamers going to wake the **** up and try and do something about this problem? When?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By VACkillers

Well, killzone is going to be a one of a kind game.... it always WAS going to be amazing ever since that very FIRST amazing trailer back in E3 05! but consoles are definitely coming along good with their games, but i dont feel there's any reason to stop being a pc gamer at all !!! most games are on multi-platform now, and to be honest, from my "Personal" experience, they nearly always play so much better, look so much better then they ever will on console... I'll give you a couple examples.....
    The technology advancements in PC hardware absolutely blows away any console really, we all see how quick new graphics card thrown out each year, and the performance gains by these new cards are absolutely staggering! I've noticed a lot of games jerk on consoles aswell, and you can get a great PC for WAAAY under 2 grand man heh... 
    And the other example i'll show ya, is when you have like Command and Conquer, how on earth! could you honestly play an RTS game with a controller? lol... seriously......... heh..... and first-person shooter will in my opinion ALWAYS be better with a keyboard and mouse..... one thing i always like to say about that issue, is when you compare the two, joypad over keyboard and mouse for shooters, its such a big comparison, with a joypad you are stuck! using what i'd like to call 2D movement over mouse and keyboards pin-point accuracy and full 3D motion movement which is slick, fast, and accurate with no delay in turning a full 360 degree axis up or down compared with the joypads slow 2D movement.

I know what your saying but i think PC gaming is just fine.... consoles are just getting more of the attention right now, but certainly in other countries outside of the U.S, consoles take 2nd place of PC Gaming which is a fact....

jakeroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By jakeroc

E3 is primarily a Console Based conference, so i wouldn't look much into it. I keep my PC relatively up-to-date for the sake of Steam and other fantastic PC offerings such as Crysis and Spore.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By brukaoru
    krei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By krei

old habits die hard 

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By atejas

MMOs(more than just WoW)
    better control system(imho)
    RTSs suck on consoles
    Diablo 3
    that is all.
    (I actually have a shitty PC and a 360, and I envy you)

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

Look at Halo wars, looks like a great console RTS, and end war with the voice commands. The industry is changing its PC powerhouses to fit the console. GOW and halo 3 are great FPS. But i do agree with your FPS view on Pcs. The experience is always better on the PC. Other then TF2. What games for the PC are there really a huge fan base, that is not on the 360 as well. 

There are huge hardware strides for the PC every year, but are they justified with there high price point. The $2000 gaming pc i am talking about is the highest end you can go without getting stupid lol. But the point i am making is, there are not really any huge games coming out for the PC that are not also coming out on the consoles. So where are the competitive FPS games that will blow your mind on the PC? with kickass graphics, and amazing AI? That us optimized and runs smoothly. 

The reason console games are more optimized is the fact thay the developers have a set hardware to work with, and they get many programmers to get their software to run on that hardware at 60 FPS. I want to see a game with that level of polish for the PC, that is competive and fun. 

As of right now i do not see that.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VACkillers

lol @ consoles being dead by 2020, cant really see it hehe... but interesting worth a bookmark haha

Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Guiltyspark

your upset with your PC because of killzone?

A sequal to a game that scored 6's?

I highly doubt you are a pc gamer....

Listen , if you were a pc gamer you would know that

1.) PC games ALWAYS look better then console games

2.) PC is ever evolving

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

Crysis is not optimized and looks shitty on almost everyones PC, and doom 3 is just fucking old. And there is no need to envy me. There is nothing real to play. I pretty much washed my money down the drain.

Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Guiltyspark
    Cherrypopp1ns said:
    "Crysis is not optimized and looks shitty on almost everyones PC, and doom 3 is just fucking old. And there is no need to envy me. There is nothing real to play. I pretty much washed my money down the drain."

Do you have any idea how retarded you sound?

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By atejas

Cherrypopp1ns said:

Look at Halo wars, looks like a great console RTS,

Quoted for LIES.
    But yeah, overall, PC gaming is far from dead, but I recommend you get a console. You can get two or three for the price of a decent PC(over here, anyway)

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VACkillers
    Cherrypopp1ns said:
    "Crysis is not optimized and looks shitty on almost everyones PC, and doom 3 is just fucking old. And there is no need to envy me. There is nothing real to play. I pretty much washed my money down the drain."
    Just wait till Doom 4 hits next year... then tell me its old (o:}
    Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Guiltyspark
    VACkillers said:
    "Cherrypopp1ns said:
    Just wait till Doom 4 hits next year... then tell me its old (o:}
    "
    doom 4 is not coming out next year , it will be lucky to hit in 2010
    EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EntwineX

I'll just repost this here too:

Developing games is expensive these days, developing great looking games is even more so, to cover the developing costs games have to be made multiplat or have a strong backing from someone like Sony/MS. PC doesn't have that, not to mention often better graphics(higher requirements) just end up hurting sales on PC, and multiplat games have to be made so that they work on consoles as well so even tho the PC version is always better looking, they're not worlds apart. Also, we're entering stage where you need a lot of hardware power to get major improvements to current graphics.

Still, saying that there isn't eye candy on PC is just wrong imo, Crysis is better looking than any console game this gen will be. Clear Sky, Farcry2 and Warhead on PC will be stunning. CoH, WiC, The Witcher look nice too and many multiplat games like GeoW and ME look quite a bit different on PC and you aren't limited to 720p @30fps. Games like BF3 and SC2 that will be built around competitive gameplay will come out in time, and there should be plenty out already. There are lot of great looking console games, but on average they loose to PC games in scale, textures, detail, AA, resolution, framerate and AF. Only areas they can really compete are character models and lighting.

About E3. It's not what it used to be, it's pointless to expect big game announcements from there, especially for PC.

Personally I don't mind all this, it gives me a chance to save my money on hardware, the great PC exclusives are still there for me even if they aren't the most stunning looking games.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VACkillers

doom 4 was at E3, just behind closed doors... its supposed to be out lat next year but there's no official release date yet

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

Yes the PC is EVER EVOLVING but at what COST? If i am shelling out 2000 bucks for a PC is should SHIT all over a $300-$500 console. WHICH it isnt really. The consoles are closing the gap graphiclly and the gameplay is pretty fucking fun. Xbox live is amazing, the only downside would be the controller. I love mouse and keybaord. But compared to the 360 which has amazing games coming out every month that are well polished, then wtf are PC developers doing? They are all trying to copy WOW imo but that is for another thread. 

When a new GPU comes out it is 500+ nowadays. And with that upgrade you now have to upgrade your motherboard and your powersupply. The price adds up, for what? A system where games are mostly RTS's they are copies of each other? Dont get my wrong C&C red alert 3 looks like fire, and im def going to buy that shit. But what online experience is going to outdue Xbox live? 

As of now i dont see anything other then Steam in its way. I just think GFW's needs to step up there A game and make some killer APPS for the PC.

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns
    VACkillers said:
    "doom 4 was at E3, just behind closed doors... its supposed to be out lat next year but there's no official release date yet
    "

But even then Doom 3 will be old ;-P
    Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Guiltyspark
    Cherrypopp1ns said:
    "

Yes the PC is EVER EVOLVING but at what COST? If i am shelling out 2000 bucks for a PC is should SHIT all over a $300-$500 console. WHICH it isnt really. The consoles are closing the gap graphiclly and the gameplay is pretty fucking fun. Xbox live is amazing, the only downside would be the controller. I love mouse and keybaord. But compared to the 360 which has amazing games coming out every month that are well polished, then wtf are PC developers doing? They are all trying to copy WOW imo but that is for another thread. 

When a new GPU comes out it is 500+ nowadays. And with that upgrade you now have to upgrade your motherboard and your powersupply. The price adds up, for what? A system where games are mostly RTS's they are copies of each other? Dont get my wrong C&C red alert 3 looks like fire, and im def going to buy that shit. But what online experience is going to outdue Xbox live? 

As of now i dont see anything other then Steam in its way. I just think GFW's needs to step up there A game and make some killer APPS for the PC.

"
    if you are shelling out 2000 dollars for a pc you are fucking stupid
    Toriko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Toriko

There is plenty of great games on the PC, anyone says PC gaming is dead is not only an idiot but also ignorant. That's the same thing I guess but still...

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VACkillers

they will.... its just not this year.... If you look back at the past 2 years, PC gaming has never seen so many absolutely top class gaming experiences and big big tittles for a long time. Borderlands is going to be awesome, dont at least forget the games that were shown at E3 coming to PC, that game has 650,000 guns lol... weither how many of them will actually be different is another thing but still, just imagine what the modding community could do with that? Online gaming experiences is by none far more superior on PC, even if its just for the modding communities on the PC, that you can expanding your gaming experiences, and being able to download free content that you cant just simply do on consoles.

I'm not going to get into another argument on these threads heh, nothing will change your mind about this, all i can say is gaming is superior on PC, thats just my opinion, there'e been so many of these threads just tired of writing in them all saying the same stuff over and over.... Price of PCs are so much lower then you think, just go to newegg.com and you'll find building a PC will cost less then 1k, i know i just did it yesterday with a SLI machine with the top core 2 duo chip and 4GB of RAM. You cant even get an HDTV for less then that, never lone a console ontop of that....

Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Guiltyspark
    Toriko said:
    "There is plenty of great games on the PC, anyone says PC gaming is dead is not only an idiot but also ignorant. That's the same thing I guess but still...
    "
    im playing stalker right now and its fucking amazing
    Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

stalker is good, but it is nothing compared to GOW or killzone. 

VACkillers said:

"they will.... its just not this year.... If you look back at the past 2 years, PC gaming has never seen so many absolutely top class gaming experiences and big big tittles for a long time. Borderlands is going to be awesome, dont at least forget the games that were shown at E3 coming to PC, that game has 650,000 guns lol... weither how many of them will actually be different is another thing but still, just imagine what the modding community could do with that? Online gaming experiences is by none far more superior on PC, even if its just for the modding communities on the PC, that you can expanding your gaming experiences, and being able to download free content that you cant just simply do on consoles.

I'm not going to get into another argument on these threads heh, nothing will change your mind about this, all i can say is gaming is superior on PC, thats just my opinion, there'e been so many of these threads just tired of writing in them all saying the same stuff over and over.... Price of PCs are so much lower then you think, just go to newegg.com and you'll find building a PC will cost less then 1k, i know i just did it yesterday with a SLI machine with the top core 2 duo chip and 4GB of RAM. You cant even get an HDTV for less then that, never lone a console ontop of that....
    "

What GPU are you using.

And I just dont think there are many standout Multiplayer shooters on the PC anymore that look stunning and that run smooth on high settings. I own a very high end computer. And compared to the games i see on the 360, i dont see a big enough jump in graphical power. I just think they need to optimize games better and create an Xbox live organization system for all PC games. That would be pretty awesome IMO.

Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Guiltyspark

STALKER takes giant wet dumps on shooter on consoles 

HAVE YOU READ ANY OF THE REVIEWS FOR THE FIRST KILLZONE , THE DEVELOPER MAKING THE GAME HAS NO TALENT.

Its obvious that you are a raging retarded noob bastard based on the things you are saying

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VACkillers

it had 2 8800GTXs....

I know what your saying and i can sympothise seeing all these new graphics cards get released ect... i think people forget that just because there's a new graphics card out, its not really aimed for the average gamer, but more towards the extremeists aswell as game developing companys, video editing industrys, aswell as desktop publishing companies because all those need the absolute best hardware to create the things you see today, not just for gaming. You couldn't create the games we see today if the technology wasn't there, which PC games take full advantage off, where consoles are stuck in their current hardware for 5/6 years. There isn't much new out this year, but i really do think thats mainly because its all in development right now, just wait dude, TRUST ME! you'll see some mega tittles soon enough :)

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

stalker is a survival horror... i wonder have you ever played RE4? came out on the gamecube and is called on of the best games in that genre to every be created. Maybe you should play some console games before shitting on them. Dick.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VACkillers

also i forgot to mention, when new graphics cards are released, it doesn't always meen "upgrade" because the current graphics cards are plenty powerfull, its just there if you want it....

aegis_and_pred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By aegis_and_pred

lol @ this thread ...

I don't even want to grant it a response because I'm not in the $2000 category of PCs, yet I can still run Crysis on Very High @ 1920x1200 ... in Vista ... at greater than 30fps ...

quit whining ... PC gamers have been shit on time and time again, only to have us rise to the top, and every other fan boy of consoles bitch about it.  Welcome to the low point of PC gaming ... get used to it.  The SAME thing happened with PS2 and XBOX ... and i'm sure when the next gen comes out ... it'll happen again.  GET USED TO IT!  Man ... all you new PC gamers are giving me a headache ...

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VACkillers

lol Pred. i think where a lot of people get this idea that PCs, good ones, cost a lot, is from these damn extremeist sites like DELL, Alienware, Falcon-northwest, VoodooPC, and the like, and you really ARE just paying for the damn name most of the time... Exception would be falcon with their incredible paint jobs, but even the ones without the paintjobs cost a bomb! Just dont go by those big named branded PCs, coz yeah, they are REALLY gonna cost you about 1500 bucks above the normal price....

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

I just want there to be a price cut man it is killing my wallet.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VACkillers

Best place would be to go to NewEgg and build a PC yourself... its so much cheaper you wont believe your eyes untill you've finished putting all the componets into the shopping chart!

Cyberpowerpc.com and ibuypower are also not TOOOOOOOOOO bad, still more expensive then newegg, but their okay price wise... its all about re-search and knowing where to look.....

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

shit i guess i need to give you a play by play... ok shit

4870x2 (which is what HIGH END IS. the 4870 is mid range u noob)-gonna be 450-500

Q6600-194 (there was just a price drop on this, and this is NOT high end either. If you want high end http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115026 )

antex 1200 $215 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043&Tpk=Antec%2bTwelve 

HDD - $100 if you only want one, which high end usually have 2 for raid conigs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145166&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-22-145-166-_-Homepage

ram 4 gigs -$100 ram is cheap nowadays http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194

MB (thats motherboard ...) to get one that is high end and that will use pci x16 2.0 and have a good FSB $450 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131321

Power supply to "Future proof it", you need something that will let you have sli on the high end card you currently have... that is a LOT of power needed. $330 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121040

Then sound card is around 100, AND i wont even go into power protection.

Monitor. What is the point in having all this GPU power without a high end monitor? $380 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001282

The GRAND TOTAL comes out to about 2300-2400

OR you can just by one pre build with different specs for $3900 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227076

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VACkillers

well to me, that just kinda looked like you went for the most expensive stuff you could find.... which that price is still incredible for what you choose, i mean common, that quad core exteme edition, you dont need, but its pretty much the best of the best.... and that was 1000 which you can so cut down down to 200 bucks... which is still under the 1300 mark....

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

yea, well thats what i say when i am talking about high end. and the final cost for that post 2300-2400 is with the $200 Q6600

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By VACkillers

well that cant be right, your grand total a minute ago was 2300-2400 with the 1k quad core.  With a 200$ quad core, the math u just gave doesn't add up...

Agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Agentfred
    Cherrypopp1ns said:
    "stalker is a survival horror... i wonder have you ever played RE4? came out on the gamecube and is called on of the best games in that genre to every be created. Maybe you should play some console games before shitting on them. Dick."
    I own RE4, and I own Stalker.
    Stalker is better.
    Anyway, your original post is littered with more factual inaccuracies than I can shake a stick at, so I'll let someone else point out all the flaws. 
    I can't tell if you are actually a PC gamer, or someone who has some grudge against the PC as a platform.  Either way, I don't really want to bother convincing you the PC is a genuinely good system.
    Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

ughhh

4870x2  450-500

Q6600-194

antex 1200 $215

HDD - $100

ram 4 gigs -$100

MB (thats motherboard ...) to get one that is high end and that will use pci x16 2.0 and have a good FSB        $450

Power supply  $330

Then sound card is around 100

Monitor.$380

this does add up to 2300

OR you can just by one pre build with different specs for $3900 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227076

yea i can trim down a few prices here and there, but then you have to add on shipping and tax, which fucking kill you. shipping add like abot 150 and tax about 200

shit adds up

Haggard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Haggard

I'm gonna repost something I cooked up in a reply to a thread that a few people agreed with. You may not agree with my opinions, you may, through blinded stupidity, disagree with my facts; but rest assured that I own a PS3, regularly play on a friend's 360 and my sister has a Wii. I don't hate consoles, I hate the misguided buffoons who play them and then act like cocky marketing-execs about them on the internet.

So here's my list:

1. PC games can always look better. As screens and graphics cards get better, you'll be able to return to your old games and look at them in a new light each time you upgrade (see point 2). Plus, with an £80 graphics card you can already have better graphics than a PS3 on new games, even multiplatforms.

2. Upgrading - it does not need to be done every few months or yearly. My current graphics card was £100 a year and a half ago, and it still plays new games on max. Because a lot of games are 360 ports, it is likely I won't need to upgrade for another year either. Sure, I need to upgrade to play Crysis on max, but I can play it on Medium, and it's not worth it to upgrade for one game. It'd be like going out and buying a piece of hardware for a game with a gimmick.. oh, sorry all those of you who bought Wii Fit.

3. It's cheaper. £2000 system necessary to run the latest games is an outright lie. Consider this - a PS3 costs £300, and a decent HDTV costs over £500. To get a killer gaming rig, you need only make a £300 upgrade to whatever PC you have at the moment, less if you already have a decent processor. Plus bear in mind that a PC game is £25 to a console's £40.

4. Online multiplayer is far better. Dedicated servers mean less lag for everyone, and higher numbers of players in the game. You also don't have to pay Microsoft £5 a month for the 'privilege', which crosses over into point 3, because over the 7 year lifespan of the 360, you'll be paying £420 for something which is free on the PC.

5. PC gets DLC free. Valve have continued to support Team Fortress 2 long after release with new weapons, maps and achievements, but Microsoft has prevented them from releasing all this content free on the 360.
    Call of Duty 4's map pack has been and Mass Effect's Bring Down The Sky DLC will be released free of charge.

6. Control - the PC's mouse and keyboard is the absolute best possible control scheme for any game which involves aiming. If you're determined to shoot yourself in the foot with a controller (the aiming is so bad you might end up doing just that), see point 9.

7. Social aspect is far easier. You don't even have to reach for a chat pad to be able to type a message to your friends, and programs such as Steam and X-fire allow you to instant message and hold voice chat in-game. Plus Steam offers LIVE-like functionality on the best online multiplayer games (CoD4, anything by Valve). Plus the people you'll be talking to are far more mature, far more knowledgeable and far nicer than the console crowd - example, observe a thread where PS3 or 360 players are talking about hardware in their systems or PCs. 'Misinformation' does not begin to cover it.

8. Mods and customs massively extend the life of games. I stopped playing GTA4 and MGS4 a couple of weeks after I bought them. You know why I'm still playing TF2 a year after release? Because everytime I start the game I can join a server running a map I've never been on before. And take a look at the uber-graphics mod for GTA: San Andreas, making it look almost as good as a current gen game.

9. You can play it like a console. A bizarre argument I hear a lot, mostly from testosterone-fuelled fratboys, is that they hate being hunched over the PC in an uncomfortable chair. While I'd suggest that they could just buy a nice chair (as I have - totally worth it!); you can plug a PC into your HDTV, plug in a 360 controller and imagine you're playing a console. Albeit one with superior graphics and better online functionality, which might spoil the illusion somewhat.

10. On a console, if you want a feature, you have to wait for Microsoft or Sony to do it. On a PC, someone will have either seen an opportunity and released software or hardware to do it, or someone will have just got sick of the problem and coded their own open-source fix to it (e.g. Resident Evil 4).

11. MMO's, love 'em or hate 'em, are never going to break into the console market. Games like Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, City of Villains/Heroes and Age of Conan provide the ultimate social experience in gaming, variety in setting and not all of them revolve around grind.

12. Indie games. All game developers start out in the indie scene, where they have to prove that they are a cut above everyone else in terms of creativity and technical skill. This leads to some of the most original and best games on the market, often free of charge. While the 360 is trying to tap into this with new community game features, none of these will be free and the vast majority will still be on the PC.

Well, I hope you don't give me too many thumbs down.

Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns

nice post.

Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Locke
    Cherrypopp1ns said:
    "shit i guess i need to give you a play by play... ok shit

4870x2 (which is what HIGH END IS. the 4870 is mid range u noob)-gonna be 450-500

Q6600-194 (there was just a price drop on this, and this is NOT high end either. If you want high end http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115026 )

antex 1200 $215 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043&Tpk=Antec%2bTwelve 

HDD - $100 if you only want one, which high end usually have 2 for raid conigs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145166&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-22-145-166-_-Homepage

ram 4 gigs -$100 ram is cheap nowadays http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194

MB (thats motherboard ...) to get one that is high end and that will use pci x16 2.0 and have a good FSB $450 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131321

Power supply to "Future proof it", you need something that will let you have sli on the high end card you currently have... that is a LOT of power needed. $330 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121040

Then sound card is around 100, AND i wont even go into power protection.

Monitor. What is the point in having all this GPU power without a high end monitor? $380 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001282

"
    A system like that is really not necessary for graphics that are much better than any current generation consoles graphics. A $330 power supply? A $450 Motherboard? You can get a Great 20" Monitor for around $150-200. You're out of your mind. It looks like you went down the list of computer components and picked the most expensive mid-high parts and linked them here.
    albaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By albaker

Cherrypopp, may I let you know that even a 8800GT which can go as low as $150 now can display graphics MUCH better than the 360 and PS3 can ever do.

I have a PC that cost around $1200- 1300 at the time and is still running, I've had it for 3 years now, I just upgraded a few parts like the greaphics card and PSU and now I can run every game on max settings, very high resolutions and stable framerates.

PC gaming isn't ALWAYS that expensive ,that's my point

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By sculsoldi3r
    Predasus said:
    "

lol @ this thread ...

I don't even want to grant it a response because I'm not in the $2000 category of PCs, yet I can still run Crysis on Very High @ 1920x1200 ... in Vista ... at greater than 30fps ...

quit whining ... PC gamers have been shit on time and time again, only to have us rise to the top, and every other fan boy of consoles bitch about it.  Welcome to the low point of PC gaming ... get used to it.  The SAME thing happened with PS2 and XBOX ... and i'm sure when the next gen comes out ... it'll happen again.  GET USED TO IT!  Man ... all you new PC gamers are giving me a headache ...

"
    HAHAHHAHA GOOD ONE GOOD ONE!!!
    Cherrypopp1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cherrypopp1ns
    albaker said:
    "Cherrypopp, may I let you know that even a 8800GT which can go as low as $150 now can display graphics MUCH better than the 360 and PS3 can ever do.

I have a PC that cost around $1200- 1300 at the time and is still running, I've had it for 3 years now, I just upgraded a few parts like the greaphics card and PSU and now I can run every game on max settings, very high resolutions and stable framerates.

PC gaming isn't ALWAYS that expensive ,that's my point
    "

I see your point,i am kinda crazy with that stuff. But i bug out whenever i play a pc game and it isnt on high. Like everything it stutters or any suddent drop in frame rates, it bugs me out a little. So yea i see your point that yes you can create a lower end pc and run most games fine. I was looking at the highest end rig i could so i dont have to worry about upgrading for a while. Cause yea the framerates will bother me in a few years if i build THAT system, but it would be better then me getting a lower end now and then having to upgrade to a new lower end ever 3 years or so. if i get a higher end now it would last abot 5 yrs. I mean people still use the gtx 6600 lol. and with news of DX11 around the corner im kind of freaking out abot spending 2000 on a computer. Which i did spend on a computer.

Haggard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Haggard
    Cherrypopp1ns said:
    I see your point,i am kinda crazy with that stuff. But i bug out whenever i play a pc game and it isnt on high. Like everything it stutters or any suddent drop in frame rates, it bugs me out a little. So yea i see your point that yes you can create a lower end pc and run most games fine. I was looking at the highest end rig i could so i dont have to worry about upgrading for a while. Cause yea the framerates will bother me in a few years if i build THAT system, but it would be better then me getting a lower end now and then having to upgrade to a new lower end ever 3 years or so. if i get a higher end now it would last abot 5 yrs. I mean people still use the gtx 6600 lol. and with news of DX11 around the corner im kind of freaking out abot spending 2000 on a computer. Which i did spend on a computer.
    My graphics card was £100 a year and a half ago, maxes out new games and is far more powerful than a 360 or PS3. How do I know this? Because on the consoles CoD4 runs at 720p with no anti-aliasing. Mine runs it at 1680x1050, highest settings, anti-aliasing at 4x with 50fps.

I think you need to realise that small increases in graphics are not worth constant expensive upgrades. Buy smart once, then buy smart again two years later. The jump from medium to maxed out is far more satisfying than regular tiny improvements.
    dozerking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dozerking

Look to Leipzig for a TON more PC gaming news and game promotions. E3 has always been much more console heavy, whereas in Germany where Leipzig is has a ton more PC gamers, heck, most of Europe and Asia are much more PC centric in gaming.

Here's the the site for Leipzig   , there's a TON of info and videos and info on the website. I'll most likely be hanging out in the official IRC channel for the convention, and hopefully a few of the major gaming sites will have some live feeds of the show. I wouldn't expect Giantbomb to cover it though, but I know 1up GFW guys, PC Gamer, and IGN will definately be there. I'm not sure if G4 will broadcast live, but since there is a lot of crossover from E3, there should be enough stuff, and some new videos and whatnot from publishers to attract as much media as possible. If I didn't have to work, I would love to travel over there for a vacation, dammit I need one in the worse way too....What's great about this con, is that everyone can go, it's what E3 is supposed to be..

And listen Cherrypop, us PC Gamers, while alot of us game on other systems too, usually do well in sticking together, no matter how bad the fanboyism gets. Don't take it so seriously. PC Gaming is niche in the states compared to console gaming, but worldwide, you have a much bigger community, and it's thriving. Console gaming is exploding, but so is PC gaming, just not the same way. With the PC, you don't have a single corporation spending billions of dollars advertising the platform, it's an open platform and that's the reason we all love it in the first place. The tradeoff is that the PC "seems" like it's gettting a stick in the rear, but that's really not reality. As you get older you'll care less and less, but from time to time, it's nice having a nerd rage on a couple unsuspecting fanboys, but all in good fun. Remember, take a look at AdrianWerner's post over at GS, which he will hopefully merge over to this site for better viewing. There are tons of games coming out on PC, regaurdless, and GPU's are getting cheaper and much more powerful, so in my opinion, it's a bright future. 

Jay4321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jay4321

#1 Reason is Starcraft 2

#2 - Customization, Mods, Community is Strong.

#3 - Console Gaming is not as cheap as many of you guys think it is.  In fact if you buy over 40 games per generation @ full price you are actually paying MORE to game on a console than on a PC.

Consider the price of:
    a nice HDTV since many console gamers are just making the jump RECENTLY (HD PC Monitors are Cheaper)
    the price of games $60 vs $50 and many times $40...do you know how much that adds up if you are one who is constantly buying video games?
    The Console itself

Also Consider the Backwards Compatibility issue...all you need is Windows XP and Windows Vista Dual Booting and you literally have yourself a machine that can run ANY game you throw @ it from the past decade...that is PRICELESS.

The common mistake that new PC Gamers make is that you need the latest card on the market. That is FALSE.
    You can run any game on the market right now with an nVidia 8800 GTS which came out a few years ago already and won't be seeing that card put in the "Minimum Requirements" category for at least a couple of more months if not a year...

Don't call me a PC Fanboy, I'm not...I like playing games on every platform :)

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By sculsoldi3r

No offence, but your topic question is like asking "Is there any point to breathing anymore?"

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#48  Edited By Termite

PC gaming will always be around, it's just cyclical. When the systems come out, it's at a low point. When they get old, the PC has it's time in the sun until the new consoles come out.

Also, mods and stuff like that will always keep the PC alive and kicking

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By unclejohnny79

Comon man we got Dawn of War 2!!

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50  Edited By biggest_loser

What a lame post. You are fooled by Killzone 2 - remember what happened with the first game? It was a cheap shooter presented as a CGI movie.

GOW2 will come to PC anyway. You can spend a hell of a lot less than $2K on a great gaming PC mister. And you just contradict yourself: you say that they are going to come to console anyway but then they'll have lesser graphical prowess but then say games on PS3 look better than PC - which is just wrong.

PCs benefit from being able to do so much more, the net, chat, word documents, whatever. So much more than the console. Thats why you buy the machine.

As for the games we might not get the AAA things just yet but boy we get quality over quantity sister! Crysis Warhead is said to be far better optimised than its predecessor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.