Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

Would two 6990's be overkill, even if I'm future proofing?

• 58 results
    sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sumbog

I was just wondering if it would be a waste to put two 6990's into my new gaming PC even if I am trying to future my gaming PC for years to come? Also would the power consumption be to much that it wouldnt be worth it, since one card by itself is something like 350 watts; or is this entire thread a waste and I should just wait for the new GTX 590 to come out before even considering one 6990?

BUCK3TM4N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BUCK3TM4N

wait to see the GTX 590 then decide

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar

Only do it if you game at max resolution and do multiple monitors. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#4  Edited By wefwefasdf

That would be nuts. Your entire neighborhood would lose power every time you turn on your computer.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By wolf_blitzer85
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " That would be nuts. Your entire neighborhood would lose power every time you turn on your computer. "
    Not to mention the amount of noise that just one of these things emits is pretty substantial according to tested's look at the card.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman

One card is always better imo. Don't waste your time with two. Way too much money for little gain.

Monte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Monte

Uhh probably. Right now there is no need and if you're worried about futureproofing you would be better off upgrading when necessary.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aus_azn

You'll be as future-proof as you can be at this time (which doesn't mean much), but your energy bill will skyrocket beyond comparable measure. You're just going to be running 700W to power your GPU alone. Something tells me you wouldn't want to do that.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Example1013

I'd say buying a cheap card would be better future-proofing, because the 6990 will be like $300 in a couple of years.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Geno

The problem right now is that quad-CF scaling is horrendous. In most games you'll only get a 20-30% improvement over a single 6990.  

Also, 6990 is already a good enough card to play 99% of the games out there maxed out on a 1920x1080 monitor, and ~90% maxed out on 2560x1600. The extra $700 you save would be better spent on another top-end card in two year's time.  

If you're already spending that much on graphics, power consumption should be the least of your worries. A single HD 6990 (on non-OC mode) consumes 300W; other high end cards consume 200-250W and are not nearly as strong. There would be negligible difference in your power bill if you went for a significantly less powerful solution.  

As for the GTX 590, my guess is that performance will be 5-10% stronger than HD 6990, but likely more expensive as well. At that level of performance it kind of just depends on whether you want Nvidia or AMD since both HD 6990 and GTX 590 will perform very well in games. 

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By inkerman

I would wait for the 590, although perhaps just get a single high end ATI card (I have the 5870). The issue when 'future proofing' the way you're doing it is you can only do so much. In 2 years time you'll still have the raw power of dual 6990s, but nowhere the same performance of contemporary cards. It would be like turbo charging a car from the 1980s, even with all that power, you're still let down by engine inefficiencies and outdated design.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rockanomics

Man, I wish I had 1.5k to piss away on video cards.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268
    @wolf_blitzer85 said:

" @SpikeSpiegel said:

" That would be nuts. Your entire neighborhood would lose power every time you turn on your computer. "
    Not to mention the amount of noise that just one of these things emits is pretty substantial according to tested's look at the card. "
    70 DECIBELS. THATS LIKE SITTING IN A CAR WHAT THE FUCK 

It's overkill. One of those can max crysis 1080p at 60 fps+ and at 2560x1600 30 FPS+. And do you know how fucking enormous those things are? I don't even know if you can fit that shit in your case, even less your motherboard. 

If you want more performance than one 6990, you could potentially get 3 6970s. 

Also, I forgot to mention the power consumptipon and heat under load: One card does 375W while under load and goes up to 90 degrees celsius. 2 of these could kill your computer with dat heat unless you get some serious water cooling up in this bitch, and that's just wasting more cash. 
    Avatar image for thekeyboarddemon
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon

I think buy 1 of either  card (GTX590/HD6990) and put the money you save away for a newer card in the future. (GTX690 or 790/HD7990 or 8990 etc...). 

If you really have to buy 2 cards I have room in case to hold on to 1 for you! ;)

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By FesteringNeon

Yea get 2, because you can never be too sure.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sameeeeam

Yeah, that is a bit overkill.

velucyraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By velucyraptor
    @Jack268 said:
    " @wolf_blitzer85 said:
    " @SpikeSpiegel said:
    Not to mention the amount of noise that just one of these things emits is pretty substantial according to tested's look at the card. "
    70 DECIBELS. THATS LIKE SITTING IN A CAR WHAT THE FUCK"
    Baha oh god I can't breathe 
    As for the card,   

@Inkerman
    said:
    " I would wait for the 590, although perhaps just get a single high end ATI card (I have the 5870). The issue when 'future proofing' the way you're doing it is you can only do so much. In 2 years time you'll still have the raw power of dual 6990s, but nowhere the same performance of contemporary cards. It would be like turbo charging a car from the 1980s, even with all that power, you're still let down by engine inefficiencies and outdated design. "
    I'm with this guy.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

I like this guy: 

The stock card is too hot and loud.  I guess you could wait for a custom cooler and/or GTX 590. =) 

BTW, I have two stock 6870's and they scale pretty well and are pretty quiet idle, as well. 
    l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By l4wd0g

I would wait. The price will drop soon.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

If you want SLI, go with something more compact. That shit is way too hot, way too loud, and way too big. Now is not a time for future proofing. Wait for a generation, Then go.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By monetarydread

Wait until the 590 is released to make a decision, it's only a day or two away now. I wouldn't go for anything SLI right now anyways. The new generation just came out, and by the time a 5990 is stressed on a game, there is going to be something that destroys it for a third of the price. Look at the new "samaritan," trailer from Epic. That only uses 3 580's and that isn't even a game, that is Epic trying to sell an engine for games comming out 2 - 4 years from now.
    To the people saying to wait for a price drop on the 6990, don't hold your breath. ATI only recently lowered the price on their previous dual gpu model (over two years old now), and that was just to get rid of old stock.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By OldGuy
    @Sumbog:  1) if you want to build now, build now... "wait until X is released" turns into "oh, wait, now that X is out, Y is just around the corner! I should wait and see if that is better"
    2) From a purely pragmatic standpoint you are ALWAYS better buying at a level below the very top end because you can upgrade to a new card later, have better frame rates then than you would have if you had gone top end at the beginning and have spent less money overall. But, if you want top end, by all means get it.
    3) As has been pointed out: A) multiple card solutions are a bit finicky and you often only get a 20 to 30 percent boost (is that worth double the price?) and B) if you do find that you need that boost you can (in six months or a year) add a matched card then for probably half the price you'd pay now.
    4) Lord Almighty that card is loud!
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Azteck

There is no such thing as future proofing in the world of PC components.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Azteck said:
    " There is no such thing as future proofing in the world of PC components. "
    Unfortunately for you, games on the consoles suck NOW. :-P 
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#25  Edited By BeachThunder

IMO, getting two 560s would probably be a better idea if you want to get two cards.

Avatar image for darkdragonmage99
    darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By darkdragonmage99

In my opinion there is no such thing as future proofing a pc

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @darkdragonmage99 said:
    " In my opinion there is no such thing as future proofing a pc "
    RROD. 

darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darkdragonmage99
    @teh_pwnzorer:  Yes because the fact I own a 360 and use it invalidates my opinion in some way. Oh wait no it doesn't .
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @darkdragonmage99 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:  Yes because the fact I own a 360 and use it invalidates my opinion in some way. Oh wait no it doesn't . "
    What invalidates your opinion is its invalidity.  The OP obviously didn't mean indefinite "future proofing."
    darkdragonmage99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By darkdragonmage99
    @teh_pwnzorer:   processing power doubles every 18 months buying the top of the line isn't going to change that in fact it's going to costs you more in the long run.  Future proofing is impossible even on the short run  in 4 years that top of the line component  is going to be toped by the lowest end .
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @darkdragonmage99 said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:   processing power doubles every 18 months buying the top of the line isn't going to change that in fact it's going to costs you more in the long run.  Future proofing is impossible even on the short run  in 4 years that top of the line component  is going to be toped by the lowest end . "
    Google "strawman."   OP wants to play multi-platform games on high-to-ultra setting at around 1080p for the next couple of years.  You can argue about your "future proofing" all day, but I'm not interested.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sumbog said:
    " I was just wondering if it would be a waste to put two 6990's into my new gaming PC even if I am trying to future my gaming PC for years to come? Also would the power consumption be to much that it wouldnt be worth it, since one card by itself is something like 350 watts; or is this entire thread a waste and I should just wait for the new GTX 590 to come out before even considering one 6990? "
    ....OF COURSE IT'S FUCKING OVERKILL! 

*regains composure* 

The 6990 is a 4GB card. Having two in X-fire is outrageous; its very existence renders that set-up redundant. 

One will serve you extremely well. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Geno
    @GetEveryone: It's 4GB shared frame buffer, so effectively only 2GB.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Azteck
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @Azteck said:
    Unfortunately for you, games on the consoles suck NOW. :-P  "
    What's your point? I didn't even mention consoles, why would you bring that up? Are you just mad because my name is green or something? 
    sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sumbog

Ya I've realized the power consumption for having two 6990's would be pretty large, so I would probably only go with only one if I go the ATI root (AMD whatever its called). My only problems is I dont want to be upgrading yet again within the next three years, I've had my current PC since 2007 and just watching it not be able to handle games that came out in 2010 has been heart wrenching (hyperbole of course, though seeing it running crysis at like 20 FPS made me so sad). 

As for the NVIDIA or AMD choice I'm gonna wait for the GTX 590 to come out until I upgrade; I've heard rumors it will launch by the end of the month or early next so the benefits of waiting and finding out if it A) produces less heat, B) creates less noise and C) is maybe a little smaller definitely outweigh the having to wait.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By Sooty

Unless you're running 2560x1600 or some sort of tri-monitor setup I wouldn't bother in getting a second card, get an SLi / Crossfire supported motherboard and just go one card for now.

Caegn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Caegn

I'd say a single 6990 might be overkill, when you factor in price for performance.

Have to agree with most here.  If you get a card that big, you don't need two.  Not now.  Some people like to have frame rates approaching 200.  But the main number is the minimum FPS.  And if you're playing non 3d stuff, as long as that minimum never drops below 60, it really doesn't matter if the max FPS is 75 or 775.  Your monitor's not going to show it.  And as far as future proofing goes, you can always add another later when the price drops.  If you even need it.  Games don't seem to be progressing nearly as fast anymore.  (Blame hardware advances slowing due to exponentially higher development costs the more advanced things get, or hitting the speed wall of what processors can do, or even good old consolitis holding things back.)  Then again I still remember the 90's when graphic cards seemed to basically be shipped obsolete, things were moving so fast.  But most likely that single 6990 will still be playing everything maxed in a few years.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Azteck said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @Azteck said:
    Unfortunately for you, games on the consoles suck NOW. :-P  "
    What's your point? I didn't even mention consoles, why would you bring that up? Are you just mad because my name is green or something?  "
    Jebus. Can't you people take a joke?
    Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

From what I have read you would be better off going with two 6970s instead. 

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @zAMERICANLIONz:  I thought that 2 6970's would give the same performance results as 1 6990 (this is after all a card with 2 6970 GPUs).
    Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheKeyboardDemon: No because the GPUs in the 6990 actually have a little bit lower specs, 6% slower clock speeds and 9% lower memory frequency, than the one in 6970 even though it is basically the exact same processor. According to this review the 6990 is actually 6% slower than two 6970s in Crossfire which led to differences of 3 to 11 fps between the 6990 and 6970. Also, I can't remember where I read it at but apparently it is going to be a pain in the ass get most games to cooperate with two 6990s because of the drivers for the cards. Even so you should still wait to see what Nvidia does with the GTX590 before you make a choice one way or another. 
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @zAMERICANLIONz: The card has 2 BIOS settings, at the normal setting the GPU runs at 830mhz and at the 2nd position it runs at 880mhz according to Linus Tech Tips. Take a look at this unboxing video and jump forward to about 5 minutes in to see what he says about the switch. 
     I scanned through the first couple of pages of the review and was surpised that they didn't mention the switch, they must have noticed it when they took the hsf off to look under the hood, they mention that the TDP is 375watt at standard settings and not that it goes up to 450 on the P
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#43  Edited By mrhankey
    @Sumbog: 
    answer: yes.
    Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Nettacki

I think driver support for GPUs is just as important as the performance of the GPUs themselves. That being said, maybe you should go for the GeForce 590 GTX for performance and stability reasons alone.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HitmanAgent47

In the future, you can actually have a card that is nearly as powerful as those dual gpu cards. You can crossfireX that. Honestly, one of those cards is enough, buy one and see if there are enough frames for you, most games doesn't require that much power. Unless you want to play metro 2033 at 60 frames, that's like 2X gtx 580 equilvent, which isn't quite there yet for those dual gpus. Also think about the heat and it takes alot of space. You will be suprised how fast one of those hd6990 cards are you will change your mind about using two of those.

Gtx 590 sort of burns out with earlier drivers, so becareful overclocking that. This video demonstrates that. I'm a nvidia fanboy, but the gtx 590 could be better.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PatchRowcester

I have a feeling the only time this kind of hardware is going to be useful is when the next generation of console arrive.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Marz

I think your just better off going with a 6970 instead. 

TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @Marz:  Either that or a GTX570, though I have the HD6970 myself and have been very happy with it, what you can with GTX570 is get that and then add another nVidia card like a GTS450 (a cheap but competent card) and use that in SLi to do all of the Physx calculations so that the main card can simply do all the rendering. At least that's the way I understand it, I'm sure there will be someone that can explain that element better so it will make more sense then my explanation.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @TheKeyboardDemon said:
    " @Marz:  Either that or a GTX570, though I have the HD6970 myself and have been very happy with it, what you can with GTX570 is get that and then add another nVidia card like a GTS450 (a cheap but competent card) and use that in SLi to do all of the Physx calculations so that the main card can simply do all the rendering. At least that's the way I understand it, I'm sure there will be someone that can explain that element better so it will make more sense then my explanation. "
    You can't SLI non matching cards.  Basically you just plug the 450 into another PCIe slot and then assign it for PhysX in the Nvidia Control Panel.
    TheKeyboardDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheKeyboardDemon
    @SeriouslyNow:  Nice thanks for clearing that up, I knew you could get the Physx to work I just wasn't sure how it would work. Does it make a big difference BTW?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.