Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

blasphemy

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#151  Edited By dtat

@Superkenon said:

@Dtat said:

From what I can tell, there are only a few kinds of anime voices. If I watched more Japanese VOs I could probably start hearing subtle differences. But as it is, to me most female characters in Japanese VOs fall into only a couple of categories. And within those categories, they sound nearly identical. I like it when characters sound unique. It's easier for me to imagine them as real people.

I'd say you just haven't watched enough. I think it's easy to hear just 'one' kind of voice when you're listening to a foreign language, so there's nothing wrong with that. For my part, representing the local nerd brigade, I have enough of a grasp on the language that I can acknowledge a wide array of styles and dialects, and it's definitely there. I actually find more variety in the original audio than I do in the dubs... but then again that's because we have like three female VAs in this scene, haha. The amount of times I play a game and say "oh, it's her again" is towering. It's like I have the opposite issue as you do, heh.

I'm a fan of a lot of the dub talent, really. Just hoping to see a lot more talent come in to diversify it more.

Yeah you're probably right on that.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#152  Edited By Superkenon

@mutha3 said:

@Superkenon:

Licensing, dude. VA in Japan is a lot more of a respectable job than in the states. Voice actors, their producers etc. all get a piece of the pie when you want to use their work.

That is a factor I didn't consider. Most localizers tend to just cite the technical hurdles though, when answering questions on the subject. But it does sound likely that contracts have gotten in the way too, so I'd believe that. Yet, again it's a lot of the smaller companies who have the Japanese VA in their games, so it seems that money is no issue in many cases. But I guess this is another thing that depends heavily on the relationship between the original developer and the localization team.

Ho diddly hum.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Freshbandito

@PenguinDust: absolutely fine with other languages, it's just something about japanese women in particular and their mannerisms in speech that just kinda rubs me the wrong way. I can see what you mean about the tones but I find it incredibly hard to ignore how grating I find the mannerisms.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#154  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Japanese VA Chie>US VA Chie in this case.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#155  Edited By Catolf
    @AuthenticM said:

I always hated Chie's English VA anyway. She sounded so off. I look forward to this.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#156  Edited By Animasta

@mutha3 said:

@Animasta said:

Yukiko's better than Chie definitely...

I don't agree! "aha is this our chance?!"is charming, Yukiko's VA'd fake laughing is annoying as shit.

Chie is definitely one of the worst of the main cast.

Again, disagreed! I dig her voice.

Well I do too, but ironically.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By mutha3
    @Animasta: That seems a little weird to me. I can't really think of any lines that stick out to me as awful outside of "AHA is this our chance?!".
    bigchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#158  Edited By bigchief

Man, this is a bummer. I really do hope that this is the only recasting, because by now those voices are too ingrained in my head. I don't know that I can adjust. Heck, the main reason I'm interested in this game is revisiting the characters and seeing what they're up to, anything that messes with the characters is going to bum me out.

Just keep all the other VAs the same, and we'll probably be good.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By DarkShaper

Hm... I don't recognize that voice actor, I wonder if I know any of her past work. Oh she was in .hack as...

NO! SHIT! NEVER AGAIN! FUCK SAKUBO!
    NO! SHIT! NEVER AGAIN! FUCK SAKUBO!
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#160  Edited By Dan_CiTi

lol the japanese voice for anyone in the main cast but Kanji is completely forgettable and generic. Then again how can you stand against Domon Kashuu?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#161  Edited By Hailinel

@mutha3 said:

@Animasta: That seems a little weird to me. I can't really think of any lines that stick out to me as awful outside of "AHA is this our chance?!".

That's the only glaring standout because it's repeated so often to the point that it's become a meme. Her line readings in general aren't terrible; they're just not as good as they could have been. And Yukiko's voice actress really is far better at her role. Is her laugh obnoxious? Yes, but that was the intent. But the thing is, from my understanding of this thread and what searches I've tried to do online, while Chie's original actress is primarily a stage actress, she has relatively little experience in the field of voice acting, and it shows, particularly next to more experienced voice actors and actresses like Troy Baker or Amanda Winn Lee. It's also telling in that Chie's actress seems to be the only one that's miscredited on the game's IMDB page.

The thing is, she's not terrible in the role. Not by a long shot. There have been far worse voice actors over the years. And the misreading of "Aha, is this our chance," isn't charming. It's a blatant misreading; one that was unfortunately chosen to be kept in the game despite its utter awkwardness.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DarkShaper said:

Hm... I don't recognize that voice actor, I wonder if I know any of her past work. Oh she was in .hack as...

I need this put into perspective for me. Is it as bad as Mistral's VA? Because that woman, every time I hear her voice in a game, I want to strangle her until she stops breathing.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By mutha3
    @Hailinel said:

And Yukiko's voice actress really is far better at her role. Is her laugh obnoxious? Yes, but that was the intent.

The intent was to come across as a cute character trait. Not eyerollingly unconvincing, like it does in the game. I'm not going to pretend Yukiko's VA was terrible or anything, but I strongly prefer the rest of the cast minus Naoto.

Anyway, I truly do not remember being particularly bothered by Tracey's line reads in P4 at all. Whether she needed to be laid-back, excited or angry(at Yosuke), I always thought she was able to convey it perfectly fine. The only reason "aha, is this our chance?" sticks out is because its such a quality dip and because it gets repeated a ton(also, because the ER turned it into a running joke, much like how everyone pretends Naoto's gender is identifiable by looking at her.)

It's also telling in that Chie's actress seems to be the only one that's miscredited on the game's IMDB page.

....Telling of what? That she doesn't do a lot of videogame roles and was confused with a prolific VA with a similar sounding voice?

And the misreading of "Aha, is this our chance," isn't charming. It's a blatant misreading; one that was unfortunately chosen to be kept in the game despite its utter awkwardness.

I think its charming. Its funny to me how that little piece of VA managed to slip past their net.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#164  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

God damn it! Oh well, does anyone have a sample of her voice I could hear?

EDIT: Oh she's Erica from Catherine! I guess that's not to bad.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#165  Edited By MikeFightNight

I'm going to send Atlus a million beefsteaks, letting them know I will not stand for this!

Actually, I like Erica's VO in Catherine, so I think it's a good fit.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#166  Edited By ch3burashka

So many fucking elitist anime nerds here. Sure, you play with the Japanese voices 'cause you're leet and uber, but being dismissive of other people's preferences isn't what being a member of the gaming community is about.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#167  Edited By Cloudenvy

@CH3BURASHKA: I haven't really seen anyone in here seriously acting superior because they prefer the Japanese VA's. Chie's English dialogue was just a little on the weak side to some people.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#168  Edited By PixelPrinny

@CH3BURASHKA said:

So many fucking elitist anime nerds here. Sure, you play with the Japanese voices 'cause you're leet and uber, but being dismissive of other people's preferences isn't what being a member of the gaming community is about.

I knew I was doing something wrong! I always played with Japanese voices just because I generally like them better (but will often use the English if I prefer those, such as in Eternal Sonata). All this time I should have been doing it to be leet and uber. It's a good thing your broad generalization showed me the error of my ways!

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By 71Ranchero

I record my own dialog for every game I play in Portuguese because Japanese and English both fucking suck.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#170  Edited By apathylad

The real blasphemy is not seeing any Junpei or Yukari in the game.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Apathylad said:

Yet.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Animasta

@Apathylad said:

what would make junpei any different than charlie? Yukari could be different, but Junpei's niche is already covered

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Cloudenvy

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Apathylad said:

Yet.

Don't toy with my emotions!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Cloudenvy: I'd say there's a real possibility of Yukari being part of the P4A cast. In any case, we know that not all characters have been revealed as of yet.

@Animasta said:

what would make junpei any different than charlie? Yukari could be different, but Junpei's niche is already covered

Not only would Junpei mean at least one other character in P4A with fire based skills next to Yukiko, but him having a katana as a weapon doesn't mean he has to play at all like Narukami.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Cloudenvy

@FluxWaveZ: I refuse to get my hopes up! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarh!

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#176  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@PixelPrinny said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

I knew I was doing something wrong! I always played with Japanese voices just because I generally like them better (but will often use the English if I prefer those, such as in Eternal Sonata). All this time I should have been doing it to be leet and uber. It's a good thing your broad generalization showed me the error of my ways!

Funny, Eternal Sonata is one of the few games I switched to Japanese because I really didn't like the English voices. I also played Heavy Rain in Portuguese and just straight up turned off the voices in Baten Kaitos.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Bocam

@CH3BURASHKA: I'm not being serious at all. I just ran with the joke. For example, when I say things like this...

@Cloudenvy: Why would you want Yukari, she's a total bitch.

I'm joking.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Animasta

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Cloudenvy: I'd say there's a real possibility of Yukari being part of the P4A cast. In any case, we know that not all characters have been revealed as of yet.

@Animasta said:

Not only would Junpei mean at least one other character in P4A with fire based skills next to Yukiko, but him having a katana as a weapon doesn't mean he has to play at all like Narukami.

I say if they're REALLY looking for a sword wielding fire user, get Tatsuya/Apallo from Persona 2. Eternal Punishment is coming to the PSP after all

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Bocam

@Animasta: Tatsuya's day one DLC

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Hailinel

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Point to one person that suggested that's the way they actually think.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Hailinel

@mutha3 said:

@Hailinel said:

And Yukiko's voice actress really is far better at her role. Is her laugh obnoxious? Yes, but that was the intent.

The intent was to come across as a cute character trait. Not eyerollingly unconvincing, like it does in the game. I'm not going to pretend Yukiko's VA was terrible or anything, but I strongly prefer the rest of the cast minus Naoto.

Anyway, I truly do not remember being particularly bothered by Tracey's line reads in P4 at all. Whether she needed to be laid-back, excited or angry(at Yosuke), I always thought she was able to convey it perfectly fine. The only reason "aha, is this our chance?" sticks out is because its such a quality dip and because it gets repeated a ton(also, because the ER turned it into a running joke, much like how everyone pretends Naoto's gender is identifiable by looking at her.)

Yes, it's a cute character trait in that this quiet, reserved girl with the proper upbringing laughs like a goddamn hyena. That's my point. :P

@PixelPrinny said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

I enjoyed the English voicework in Eternal Sonata, as well. And I think that Erin Fitzgerald has definitely shown a lot of range if she can do voices as varied as Polka in ES and Erica in Catherine. I'm pretty sure she'll be fine as the new Chie.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Animasta

@Bocam said:

@Animasta: Tatsuya's day one DLC

don't make me hope ;_; I would take him or demifiend though he is very unlikely.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Bocam

@Animasta: Hey I want Adachi like no tomorrow. I know he's even more unlikely then Tatsuya

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By DarkShaper

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

@DarkShaper said:

I need this put into perspective for me. Is it as bad as Mistral's VA? Because that woman, every time I hear her voice in a game, I want to strangle her until she stops breathing.

Mistral had a worse VA but Sakubo's badness sticks out to me more since overall .hack G.U. had better voice acting.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#185  Edited By Wraith1

I wait to see how she handles Chie's voice before coming to a conclusion on this

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By PixelPrinny

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@PixelPrinny said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Funny, Eternal Sonata is one of the few games I switched to Japanese because I really didn't like the English voices. I also played Heavy Rain in Portuguese and just straight up turned off the voices in Baten Kaitos.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@PixelPrinny said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@PixelPrinny said:

@CH3BURASHKA said:

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Yes indeed. It's possible I judged too quickly.

The Baten Kaitos voices were truly horrible though.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#188  Edited By Slag

dang not happy about this.

granted I haven't heard all of Fitzgerald's voice range (what I have heard is decent quality), but man she doesn't sound like Chie to me. Which is too abd given how important Chie is to the whole game.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By PixelPrinny

@SpunkyHePanda: Y'know, thinking back, I do seem to remember also turning off the voices for the same reason. At least the game itself was fun.

dogman795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By dogman795

Guys, you're also missing some other important news. When asked about getting every one back for the anime, the guy at Sentai said:

"accurate, except for one cast member (Kuma/Teddie, voiced by Dave Wittenberg) who is unavailable."

No english Teddie in the anime (and possibly Golden/Arena)!

Also apparently they confirmed that they'd gotten all the voices back (which i guess includes Chie then) before actually contacting any of them... Smooth.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@dogman795 said:

Guys, you're also missing some other important news. When asked about getting every one back for the anime, the guy at Sentai said:

"accurate, except for one cast member (Kuma/Teddie, voiced by Dave Wittenberg) who is unavailable."

BBBBWWWWWWARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#192  Edited By ajamafalous
    @mutha3 said:
    @Cloudenvy said:

@Bocam: Fuck yeah, Horie Yui is one of my favorite VA's.

"horie yui" more like "durrr-im-dumb-durrrie yuicantvoiceact"

Sickest burn I've ever seen
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By mutha3
    @SpunkyHePanda said:

@dogman795 said:

Keep in mind that these are the same guys who failed to contact ANY of the VA they "confirmed" for the anime. I wouldn't worry too much.
    AxleStukov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By AxleStukov

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Animasta said:

I seem to recall most of Junpei's weapons being a broadsword, so even though his best weapon might have been a katana, just have him use the broadsword for arena to give him a more distinct style from Narukami easily. Also give him Koromaru assist specials and we're set.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#195  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@mutha3 said:

@SpunkyHePanda said:

@dogman795 said:

Keep in mind that these are the same guys who failed to contact ANY of the VA they "confirmed" for the anime. I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm going to wait and hear it myself before jumping to any conclusions at this point.

Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#196  Edited By Devoid

@AxleStukov said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Animasta said:

I seem to recall most of Junpei's weapons being a broadsword, so even though his best weapon might have been a katana, just have him use the broadsword for arena to give him a more distinct style from Narukami easily. Also give him Koromaru assist specials and we're set.

Just give him his Spiked Bat. Boom. That's all he needs!

On topic, I don't mind too much that they couldn't get her back. I'm a bit more worried about Golden though, if Erin Fitzgerald is doing that too they'd better re-record all of Chie's lines. That would actually give me more reason to get that game.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By mutha3

oh god they lost teddie

If they don't get Troy Baker back as Kanji we'll have lost the best 2 VA:(

Maybe threadworthy? I'll let someone else make that call.
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By SlightConfuse

so teddie is voiced by the long nose guy from one piece

oh man those voices are not good, hope there is a japanese vocie option

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Animasta

why did they not get him? as far as I know that's all wittenberg does.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#200  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

It wouldn't be weird if I just left on Kanji's voice and turned off everyone else's at this point would it?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.