Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

blasphemy

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By Chop

Ah, fuck, no Teddie either? My interest is waning severely at this point. I could handle no Chie, her voice acting was boring but Teddie was fantastic. In fact, I'd say his voice acting was soley responsible for making him endearing rather than annoying.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#202  Edited By Ravenlight

Would you guys be back onboard if they got Nolan North to voice Chie?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#203  Edited By Animasta

@Ravenlight said:

Would you guys be back onboard if they got Nolan North to voice Chie?

erin fitzgerald will do a perfectly fine job!

get nolan north to voice teddie instead

preferably in space core voice (or adventure core)

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#204  Edited By zyn

@Cloudenvy said:

@Bocam said:

Japanese Chie is the only Chie for me. Thank god for crazy Japanese fans that will boycott a game if their waifu's voice isn't the same.

Japanese Chie is the right Chie.

Yus.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#205  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I don't know what the hell's going on:

No Caption Provided

Found this through this NeoGAF page. Nich Maragos, here, claims that he's never heard of this voice actress before and that she didn't play Naoto in Persona 4, either, but everywhere on the internet says she did. This is especially confusing because Naoto sounds exactly like Naoto in Persona 4 Arena and Maragos says the same VA from P4 reprises her role in P4A.

Another post here says that Susan Dalian never voiced Naoto in Persona 4. So, apparently, she's only a voice actress for Persona 4: The Animation and Naoto's VA for the role in Persona 4 is unknown.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Man, this is why everyone just uses that one crew (is there a studio they all work under?). You never go "is that Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal talking?" you go "Oh, check it out, Troy Baker and Yuri Lowenthal."

I guess I have a lot harder time picking out female voice actresses. I can only pick out Michelle Ruff, Laura Bailey and Mary-Elizabeth McGlynn. And even sometimes not Ruff. Laura Bailey actually has super impressive range (she is unrecognizable as E'lara in Hunted: The Demon's Forge) but she mostly gets cast using her squeaky Rise voice. Essentially just cheap Tara Strong. ME McGlynn is easy because she has a super husky voice.

So yeah, I can immediately tell Roger Craig Smith from Nolan North from Brian Bloom, or Simon Templeman from Graham McTavish, but the ladies are more difficult.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#207  Edited By metalsnakezero

So who in the world is voicing Naoto?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@metalsnakezero: I guess no one except for Atlus knows. It's nice that it's the same VA of Persona 4 who will be voicing her in P4A, but it's so weird that I can't seem to determine who it was exactly; everywhere I look, people think it was Susan Dalian. Wouldn't think there'd still be anonymous roles like that anymore.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@metalsnakezero: I guess no one except for Atlus knows. It's nice that it's the same VA of Persona 4 who will be voicing her in P4A, but it's so weird that I can't seem to determine who it was exactly; everywhere I look, people think it was Susan Dalian. Wouldn't think there'd still be anonymous roles like that anymore.

....Which is probably why Susan Dailan started thinking she voiced Naoto herself! Like the Atlus guy said, these people voice tons and tons of characters.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#210  Edited By toowalrus

This whole thing is super weird. So do we know for sure that the only voices changed in the Golden are Chie and Teddie? Does this also mean that Naoto will sound different in the English dub of the Animation?

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By mutha3
    @TooWalrus said:

This whole thing is super weird. So do we know for sure that the only voices changed in the Golden are Chie and Teddie? Does this also mean that Naoto will sound different in the English dub of the Animation?

I don't think this Susan lady has been confirmed for the anime.....And if she is, then its probably the anime guys thinking she gave the performance like the rest of the internet. Man, that would be even crazier.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TooWalrus said:

Yeah, since Naoto is voiced by Susan Dalian in the anime she should sound at least a bit different than in the game (or else things will be even more confusing), but the only voices that are changed for Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Golden are Chie and Teddie.

@mutha3 said:

I don't think this Susan lady has been confirmed for the anime....

I think she's the voice. The voice actress is no liar so she's obviously doing something Naoto related and she's also listed as the Naoto VA on anime sites.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@TooWalrus said:

Yeah, since Naoto is voiced by Susan Dalian in the anime

Source? Wikipedia doesn't count.

@FluxWaveZ said:

@mutha3 said:

I don't think this Susan lady has been confirmed for the anime....

I think she's the voice. The voice actress is no liar so she's obviously doing something Naoto related and she's also listed as the Naoto VA on anime sites.

I don't think she would be lying even if she has never voiced Naoto ever. She's been credited for the role for years and had people patting her on the back that long. She could have simply been mistaken.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@mutha3: That may be the case for Persona 4, but Persona 4: The Animation? That's a recent project. Even if voice actors don't recall all of the roles they've done over the years, they should at least clearly remember the recent projects they've done as well as their ongoing ones. So either she does voice Naoto in the anime or she's lost it.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@mutha3: That may be the case for Persona 4, but Persona 4: The Animation? That's a recent project. Even if voice actors don't recall all of the roles they've done over the years, they should at least clearly remember the recent projects they've done as well as their ongoing ones. So either she does voice Naoto in the anime or she's lost it.

She didn't say she voices Naoto in the anime, did she? The only source saying she did is wikipedia.
    Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#216  Edited By Anupsis

I wonder how many people are gonna say "Why does Yu sound like Adachi?". I always wondered how they were gonna handle that, think they could have changed it but I am fine with it so far.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@mutha3 said:

She didn't say she voices Naoto in the anime, did she? The only source saying she did is wikipedia.

You're right and I'm really confused. I got to thinking that the Facebook image I posted up top was about Susan Dalian talking about her role in Persona 4: The Animation, but it's extremely ambiguous. Yeah, it's very possible Susan Dalian has nothing at all to do with Persona 4. I'd think voice actors would like to keep track of this stuff, but maybe not. Weird.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Bocam

This is just another reason why Japanese VAs are better. Romi Paku voiced Naoto in the game, she voices her in everything else.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#219  Edited By MikeFightNight

Just another pay check. I bet Samuel L Jackson can't remember what movie set he's on.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By metalsnakezero

@FluxWaveZ said:

@mutha3 said:

You're right and I'm really confused. I got to thinking that the Facebook image I posted up top was about Susan Dalian talking about her role in Persona 4: The Animation, but it's extremely ambiguous. Yeah, it's very possible Susan Dalian has nothing at all to do with Persona 4. I'd think voice actors would like to keep track of this stuff, but maybe not. Weird.

Turns out that some VA don't usually keep track of their roles and do voices without knowing what the project is for what game. In a interview, Tara Platt didn't know she was voicing a character in Tales of Graces until she looked herself up on IMDb.

dogman795

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By dogman795

@metalsnakezero: But this seems to be the exact opposite problem in that she thinks she did the role, but the guys at Atlus say they've never even worked with her and that she isn't doing the role in anything else.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@metalsnakezero: That makes me think it's a lack of professionalism, but I guess it's just unnecessary to keep track of those details. Still, I'd think that voice actors would want to be credited as much as possible because... who wouldn't? How could that not help you and future job prospects? Why is it prevalent that professional voice actors aren't credited in these games?

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Bocam

@FluxWaveZ said:

@metalsnakezero: That makes me think it's a lack of professionalism, but I guess it's just unnecessary to keep track of those details. Still, I'd think that voice actors would want to be credited as much as possible because... who wouldn't? How could that not help you and future job prospects? Why is it prevalent that professional voice actors aren't credited in these games?

Union stuff mostly.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#224  Edited By mesoian

@FluxWaveZ said:

The VA biz is super cray. You gotta remember that, a lot of the time, the companies commissioning the lionshare of their time are very small publishers with 30 employees or less, which can cause a lot of mismanagement.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

Ever heard a videogame VA describe a day of work for them? They just get shoved into a room on a certain time/date, get a microphone held in front of them and a voice director runs them through the context of the scene and the character they are playing as and...that's mostly it as far as context goes. 

I can imagine how it all just sort of blurs together after a while.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@mutha3: Yeah, I've heard something to that effect before for VA (though it seems Troy Baker has a much more meaningful role in BioShock Infinite's development going by the Irrational Behavior podcast).

Still, if they wanted to, it's not hard to write down the projects they've worked for. Some VA do just that on their official websites such as Cindy Robinson.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By metalsnakezero

@mutha3 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Ever heard a videogame VA describe a day of work for them? They just get shoved into a room on a certain time/date, get a microphone held in front of them and a voice director runs them through the context of the scene and the character they are playing as and...that's mostly it as far as context goes. I can imagine how it all just sort of blurs together after a while.

It not as bad as it you make it out to be but it is the amount of times they do it from studio to studio that makes it blur to them since they are so busy.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#228  Edited By mesoian

@metalsnakezero said:

@mutha3 said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Ever heard a videogame VA describe a day of work for them? They just get shoved into a room on a certain time/date, get a microphone held in front of them and a voice director runs them through the context of the scene and the character they are playing as and...that's mostly it as far as context goes. I can imagine how it all just sort of blurs together after a while.

It not as bad as it you make it out to be but it is the amount of times they do it from studio to studio that makes it blur to them since they are so busy.

It depends on the job. There's a reason why most anime dubs are so horrible, even though the talent behind the voices are so good.

There's a big difference in quality behind a project that has Steve Blum involved and a project where Steve Blum is the Vocal Director. 90% of bad dubbing is due to someone who knows very little about the project, often not having experienced it themselves, guiding others on how to express themselves.

There's an amazing behind the scenes video of Danny De'vito doing voice work for Hercules where he is going NUTS, and it's awesome. Subsequently, if you watch the behind the scenes of Arrerity and watch Carol Burnett being COMPLETELY WOODEN, you kind of realize how acting talent doesn't always equate well to voice work.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By endaround

@FluxWaveZ said:

Up until recently VA could not get credit for any work that was non-union. They couldn't even admit to doing the work. Which made Lowenthal sitting up with Atlus during the P4 release announcement kind of strange.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Vashyron

@scarace360 said:

@Hailinel said:

Unfortunately, these things happen. Certainly isn't the end of the world, though I do wonder why the change occurred.

THE WORLDS ON FIRE AND WHERE ALL GONNA DIE ONLY CHIE CAN SAVE US NOW!

Well, fuck.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By scarace360

@Vashyron said:

@scarace360 said:

@Hailinel said:

Unfortunately, these things happen. Certainly isn't the end of the world, though I do wonder why the change occurred.

Well, fuck.

This is no time for fucking we need to get the Chie symbol up in the air.

Vashyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Vashyron

@scarace360 said:

@Vashyron said:

@scarace360 said:

@Hailinel said:

Well, fuck.

This is no time for fucking we need to get the Chie symbol up in the air.

Damnit! ...Fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.