Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pillars of Eternity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian Entertainment's isometric, party-based RPG set in the new fantasy world of Eora.

24hours left, don't miss your chance to...

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxNBxx

Hey guys, there is only 24 hours left in Project Eternity's Kickstarter. If you don't know what it is, it's a CRPG made by the same people that made (arguably) the best CRPG every. (Planescape: Torment)

It blew past its initial goal and is now on the cusp of its finale stretch goal of 3.5 million. Which is a really good reward if it is achieved. They will add a second big city to the game. For those wanting to know whats a big city? Just think of how big the city of Baldur's Gate was. If you don't know what Baldur's Gate is then a more resent game city that it could be compared to is Denerim (from Dragon Age: Origins) Needless to say, the addition of another big city would add a great deal to the game.

This will most likely be a 50+ US dollar game and you can get in for half that right now. For 25 bucks it gets you a digital copy of the game. But there are some really great stuff you can get if your willing to spend a little more. The one that really stands out to me is the 165 tier. You get 2 digital copies of the game, the expansion, and a copy of Wasteland 2, plus all the other little extras. ( like soundtrack, beta key...) Or you can get in on the bottom floor and pick out some of the add-ons that you like for a little bit more. (like the expansion for 20 bucks)

The team really seems like they want to make this game with the players and not make it behind closed doors. So there will be tons of updates and what not on their main site They have almost a dozen update vids already. They are also going to live stream the last hour or so of the kickstarter just to celebrate with the fans.

As a way to keep this topic near the top of new topics, I will leave with a question.

Whats your favorite Character in any CRPG you've played.

Mine would be Minsc, His lines would always put a smile on my face. Runner up would be Morte.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Nomin

I liked the character Kreia from KOTOR 2, she was such a well developed character and was designed very carefully to integrate with the theme of Force that I never expected. My second would be a tie between Morte, Yes Man, and HK-47.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By steveurkel

Ahh! Gods, please give us another 500,000 so we can create a piece of DLC that you will have to pay for that is already on the gold copy.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

@steveurkel said:

Ahh! Gods, please give us another 500,000 so we can create a piece of DLC that you will have to pay for that is already on the gold copy.

Completely missing the point.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jrinswand

I still can't believe that people are willing to invest 3.5 million in a freaking isometric RPG. Not that I didn't love the Black Isle games back in the day, but come on. How many times can you return to the well?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoG

I really hope that they reach the 3.5 Million mark to add that second big city. I did a lot of reading on their page, and ultimately decided it was worth it, though I have relatively little CRPG experience. I've had lots of desire to play the games, but it's never become consistent action. I'm slowly working my way through Planescape: Torment right now, and really enjoying it for the story. Perhaps a more modern take on the games will be what really hooks me.

I'm considering adding $20 for the expansion. I'll probably buy the expansion anyways, so it wouldn't be a big deal if I pre-purchased it in order to get more content up front.

Question for those with more CRPG experience than I: How does the size of Sigil compare to the cities mentioned? I own Baldur's Gate 2 on GOG, but I probably won't play it until I'm done with Planescape.

Patchcoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Patchcoat

@xxNBxx said:

Mine would be Minsc, His lines would always put a smile on my face. Runner up would be Morte.

Agreed:

Somewhat related:

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@BoG: Sigil is probably on the same level as something like Athkatla from Baldur's Gate 2, though whereas Sigil makes up a good 75% of Planescape's play time, the big city in BG2 takes up a bit less than half, assuming you do everything.

Worcanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Worcanna

I would but i've started having trust issues with Obsidian and until they learn how to make a product that gets full support and doesn't end up with the fans doing all the work, then i might back them. :( Till then, nope.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BoG

@ArbitraryWater: Thanks, just the answer I was looking for. I was thinking that Sigil might be quite a bit larger than others simply because you spend so much time there.

With that bit of perspective... I wonder how they'll manage to put a sufficient amount of content into both cities. Hey, I won't whine, the more things to see, the better.

If I may start another conversation in here, how does everyone feel about the proposed experience system? It seems to be a point of contention in the PE official forums. A lot of folks want to get EXP for killing everything that moves, but the developers are looking at other ways of doing things, which make just as much sense. Anyone at GB have an opinion?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11  Edited By Giantstalker

Done. Eighty bucks for two copies (and a digital strategy guide?) is not a bad deal at all, but more importantly than that, I just want to see this thing made.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Scorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Scorch

Project Eternity just took down Double Fine Adventure's record at 3.336 million.

There's a new crowdfunded king in town. Woo!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Jrinswand said:

I still can't believe that people are willing to invest 3.5 million in a freaking isometric RPG. Not that I didn't love the Black Isle games back in the day, but come on. How many times can you return to the well?

Considering that the isometric RPGs they are referencing are some of the best examples of the genre ever made, I don't really see the problem. Obsidian has too many talented people to continue being the clean-up crew for everyone else's IP. Is it a blatant grab at nostalgia? Maybe. But when the alternative is them making stuff like the South Park RPG and Dungeon Siege III for the rest of time, I will take nostalgia.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xxNBxx

@Jrinswand said:

I don't know how many times can you make a game about football, or one named Call of Duty? Those games make a lot more then 3.5 million dollars.

Scorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Scorch

The last IE game was made in 2002.

Gosh, what an oversaturated market.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Nomin

PE surpasses Double Fine Adventure in terms of money raised by KS platform. Congratulations to Obsidian and those 65000+ who supported it.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ravenlight

@BoG said:

If I may start another conversation in here, how does everyone feel about the proposed experience system? It seems to be a point of contention in the PE official forums. A lot of folks want to get EXP for killing everything that moves, but the developers are looking at other ways of doing things, which make just as much sense. Anyone at GB have an opinion?

In the old Infinity Engine games, getting XP from everything meant I would hunt down and kill every useless townsperson, as well as kill quest-givers after turning in quests. Not getting experience from gaming the system like that would certainly aid in me not going insane from min/max OCD.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoG

@Ravenlight said:

@BoG said:

In the old Infinity Engine games, getting XP from everything meant I would hunt down and kill every useless townsperson, as well as kill quest-givers after turning in quests. Not getting experience from gaming the system like that would certainly aid in me not going insane from min/max OCD.

It seems like this is what they're looking for. The developers mentioned a situation where a quest has multiple solutions, one being violent, and the other being non-confrontational. It doesn't make sense for a player to be able to complete it without violence, then turn around and kill the the NPC to get that experience, too. It makes sense to me.

Scorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Scorch

Yeah that was Tim Cain, father of Fallout. They're gonna put in stealth and speech alternatives to combat and it'll reward the objective XP. Sounds good to me.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By rentfn

2014 is so long away. I don't want to wait that long.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By falling_fast

they're so close!

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Genkkaku

Goddamn I just upped me pledge.. actually doubled it.. I hate that I have to wait till 2014 but damn If I don't want to see Obsidian doing what they do best..

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I've been following it closely since the day it launched, but I unfortunately haven't contributed, as I am a college student with no job. I'm really excited for this game.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By falling_fast

alright, they totally broke 3.5 mil (if you include paypal pledges). on kickstarter alone, they are currently at 3.4 mil

not sure if there's going to be one more stretch goal. there probably will be.

so that makes project eternity the most successful video game kickstarter so far. pretty cool.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Terramagi

@damnable_fiend said:

alright, they totally broke 3.5 mil (if you include paypal pledges). on kickstarter alone, they are currently at 3.4 mil

not sure if there's going to be one more stretch goal. there probably will be.

so that makes project eternity the most successful video game kickstarter so far. pretty cool.

Hurray!

Suck it Double Fine!

You heard me.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Worcanna said:

I would but i've started having trust issues with Obsidian and until they learn how to make a product that gets full support and doesn't end up with the fans doing all the work, then i might back them. :( Till then, nope.

They're taking suggestions and input from backers, but it's not like it's the fans coming up with any of the lore or deciding what gameplay mechanics should be in the game, that would be a total disaster. They've added things like Expert mode (New Vegas hardcore mode) because of certain groups of fans wanting a more challenging experience, but that's about it. Not even the added character class goals were fan chosen/designs.

If you think fans are in control of the entire game, you're completely out of the loop.

I would have liked to get a boxed version of the game, but the postage costs to anywhere outside of the US are just too high. I'm guessing it's just how things work over there, but I don't see how Broken Sword (a UK based project) was able to provide worldwide shipping for free, but all of these US based ones require me to increase my pledge to the next tier (without getting any of the actual rewards) just to pay for shipping. So I'll stick with the basic $20, but I'm very happy they've hit their goals.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BlackLagoon

Currently got the Early Bird Special... very tempted to upgrade... Hmm...

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eroticfishcake

I've got very little CRPG experience (well I've played a few but haven't finished a tonne of them), either way I've got faith in Obsidian so I threw some cash at them. Hopefully, I'll actually remember that I funded this by the time it comes around. Best of luck lads.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By abendlaender

Kreia was pretty good but my favourite charakter is probably either HK-47 (is Kotor a CRPG? I dunno) or that Underling from Neverwinter Nights 2 (shame I forgott her name, but I really liked her). Alistair and Shale from Dragon Age where pretty good too. Oh, and of course your dog, from every game that lets you have a dog. Cause dogs are awesome.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BoG

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Worcanna said:

They're taking suggestions and input from backers, but it's not like it's the fans coming up with any of the lore or deciding what gameplay mechanics should be in the game, that would be a total disaster. They've added things like Expert mode (New Vegas hardcore mode) because of certain groups of fans wanting a more challenging experience, but that's about it. Not even the added character class goals were fan chosen/designs.

If you think fans are in control of the entire game, you're completely out of the loop.

I would have liked to get a boxed version of the game, but the postage costs to anywhere outside of the US are just too high. I'm guessing it's just how things work over there, but I don't see how Broken Sword (a UK based project) was able to provide worldwide shipping for free, but all of these US based ones require me to increase my pledge to the next tier (without getting any of the actual rewards) just to pay for shipping. So I'll stick with the basic $20, but I'm very happy they've hit their goals.

I think the AMA really makes this point. A lot of people said "Hey, I want this" and they often respond with "maybe" or just flat out "no." They've stated multiple times that they already have a vision in their heads as to what they want this game to be. Yes, it's still in the early stages of development, but they've already thought about it extensively. They want fan input, but fans won't be a major creative force in the games development.

That's a good thing.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Genkkaku

@BoG said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Worcanna said:

I think the AMA really makes this point. A lot of people said "Hey, I want this" and they often respond with "maybe" or just flat out "no." They've stated multiple times that they already have a vision in their heads as to what they want this game to be. Yes, it's still in the early stages of development, but they've already thought about it extensively. They want fan input, but fans won't be a major creative force in the games development.

That's a good thing.

Which I think is a good thing.. Obsidian without a crazy deadline and hopefully a good QA this time round they could knock it out of the park

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ravenlight

@Terramagi said:

Suck it Double Fine!

You heard me.

I'm sure Tim Schafer is crying into his slightly smaller giant pile of money right now :P

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#33  Edited By Kidavenger

They hit their final goal; over $600,000 has come in since this time yesterday. This game is going to be great.

No Caption Provided
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#34  Edited By AndrewB

@BoG said:

That's a good thing.

I like to believe that Obsidian has at least one knowledgeable game designer on their team, and I like put faith in the belief that they know more than I do about designing a game, because I'm certainly not being paid to do so.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ArbitraryWater

One final stretch goal: At 4 Million they will "enhance the entire game", which apparently includes full instrumentation on the soundtrack, developer commentary and making Chris Avellone play Arcanum, which he has never done. That's probably not going to happen, I'm too poor to up my pledge and they would have to get another 300K or so in the next few hours. Still, either way, they're now the most funded games project on Kickstarter, only behind the Ouya.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BlackLagoon

They're live streaming the final hours of the Kickstarter on ustream now:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/project-eternity-live-stream

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Terramagi

@BlackLagoon said:

They're live streaming the final hours of the Kickstarter on ustream now:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/project-eternity-live-stream

"Holy fucking shit"

- Obsidian, 2012

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Oh the Internet. A bunch of adults are doing something fun, so someone decided to shout racial epithets at them.

Never change Internet.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Funkydupe

Here's an idea of what 72000+ backers would look like if they decided to watch a game.

Congrats to Project Eternity and crowd funding is all that is left to say. :)

HappyCheeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By HappyCheeze

I chipped in 25 bucks. I love CRPGs

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sanity

@ArbitraryWater: Actually it looks like it will, the KS page doesn't include paypal payments and they said thats about 140k so really they only need around 20k as of now.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@dudy80 said:

@ArbitraryWater: Actually it looks like it will, the KS page doesn't include paypal payments and they said thats about 140k so really they only need around 20k as of now.

If that is so then it seems the 4 Mil Stretch goal has already been achieved. It's crazy that they've managed to raise 500K in the last day alone.

Scorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Scorch

They're gonna break 600k.

Avellone is completely plastered.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Terramagi

Final count: $3,986,423

So just under 4.2 million.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xxNBxx

Its all over but the money keeps coming in, I am guessing we will get a true final total sometime later today or tomorrow.

JackOhara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JackOhara
    No Caption Provided
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ravenlight

Knocked it out of the park! Way to go, fellow Kickstarter junkies!

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xxNBxx

here it is the finale totals

Kickstarter

Backers: 73,986

Pledged: $3,986,929

PayPal

Backers: 3,681

Pledged: $176,279

Totals

Backers: 77,667

Pledged: $4,163,208

So if you were wondering this means they met their 4million stretch goal.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.