Pinball FX is a collection of original pinball
games developed by Zen Studios
for the Xbox 360
via Xbox Live Arcade
. The initial download comes with three tables, with six downloadable tables (including tables based on licensed franchises, such as The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show
and Street Fighter II
). The game accurately emulates modern pinball machines, right down to the fake LED display. The game comes with 15 achievements
worth 250 gamerscore. One of these achievements requires free downloadable content
(Buccaneer) while two of these achievements require paid DLC (Nightmare Mansion and Rocky and Bullwinkle).
The game was later superseded by the sequel (and free pinball shell) Pinball FX2
. Because all of the Pinball FX tables can be imported into Pinball FX2 (even the original three tables, which is free if you owned the original Pinball FX), the original game has been de-listed from the Xbox Live Marketplace.
Along with local round-robin multiplayer for up to four players, Pinball FX also features competitive simultaneous online multiplayer for up to four players, with each player (with their own pinball machine) racing to reach a certain amount of points (with an infinite amount of extra balls and a score penalty for each ball lost). The game also supports the Xbox Live Vision
camera, which can be used for both video chat and flipper control (using your arms).
Pinball FX includes three tables and includes six downloadable tables. All tables can be imported (or bought through) Pinball FX2
. Street Fighter II Tribute, Earth Defense, and Excalibur were also downloadable tables for the PlayStation 3
equivalent, ZEN Pinball
- Speed Machine - Included in the base game. Based on illegal street racing and car-tuning culture.
- Extreme - Included in the base game. Based on extreme sports and skateboarding.
- Agents - Included in the base game. Based on action movies and spy movies.
- Buccaneer - Free DLC released October 31, 2007. Pirate themed.
- Nightmare Mansion - 200 msp DLC released January 16, 2008. Horror themed.
- Rocky and Bullwinkle - 200 msp DLC released April 2, 2008. Based on the 1950s cartoon The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.
- Street Fighter II Tribute - 200 msp DLC released November 12, 2008. Based on the game franchise Street Fighter II. Made in collaboration with Capcom and released along with Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix. Not to be confused with the Gottlieb Street Fighter II pinball machine.
- Earth Defense - 240 msp DLC released September 21, 2009. A sci-fi horror theme based on alien invasion. Features a giant robot toy with fluid movement.
- Excalibur - 200 msp DLC released January 27, 2010. Fantasy medieval table based on the legend of King Arthur. Not to be confused with the Gottlieb Excalibur pinball machine.