Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

PlayStation 2 Slim The Best Version of a Console Ever Made!?

• 67 results
    ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ShinjiEx

Had it in storage have it back out now and it's still the best looking and well made console I've seen to date yes it's simple looking at first but the little details to it's functionality make one the most reliably consoles ever made

No Caption Provided
    mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By mandude

Strange topic, but yes.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PillClinton

Ah, the PS2... A time when Sony could justify its hubris...

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Eh, nah... Oh alright then, sure.

KarmaPoliceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By KarmaPoliceman

Where's it's handle?

That's what I thought, Gamecube is still number 1.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ocean_H

PS2 phat, I just hate the power brick that the PS2 slim has.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Phatmac

The correct answer is the gameboy SP

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By supamon

Disagree! I'm a fatty for life! PS1 phat. PS2 phat. PSP phat.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane

@supamon said:

The other two sure, but PSP phat? The slim is better in so many ways.

I still have my phat PS2, still working perfectly, i think.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Phatmac said:

The correct answer is the AGS-101 backlit Gameboy Advance SP.

There we go. Clarified your post for you. But I agree: the GBA SP is the best-designed console of all time.

And the best console of all time, period, if you ask me.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By supamon

@Shirogane said:

@supamon said:

Well okay sure, the PSP phat had a louser screen, lesser RAM, heavy as a paper weight and weaker battery life but I've had my phat since 2006 and it still works (playing emulated Megaman Legends 1 on it). If nothing else it had durability.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided
    WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WalkerD

@Fattony12000: I was literally just about to post this. I've wanted one of these for a long time now.

ShinjiEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShinjiEx

GameBoy is not a console...

No Caption Provided
    psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By psylah

I still keep my PS2 slim on my desk at home, because it is so slick and sleek. It has its own dedicated monitor.

And recently, I purchased a PSOne, because it is so damn kawaii (that's japanese for cute, you baka gaijins)

No Caption Provided

Look at it! Even the end of the controller cord that goes into the console is rounded!

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By psylah

@supamon said:

@Shirogane said:

@supamon said:

Well okay sure, the PSP phat had a louser screen, lesser RAM, heavy as a paper weight and weaker battery life but I've had my phat since 2006 and it still works (playing emulated Megaman Legends 1 on it). If nothing else it had durability.

I had a launch PSP, and I remember the PSP-2000 having a much worse screen, almost like it had scan lines on it or something.

Maybe those were just the early PSP-2000 units?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AuthenticM

@Ocean_H said:

Latter revisions of the PS2 slim (the one I currently have) had the power supply integrated to the console. Best looking console IMO.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By psylah

@AuthenticM said:

@Ocean_H said:

Latter revisions of the PS2 slim (the one I currently have) had the power supply integrated to the console. Best looking console IMO.

You've got to be shitting me, Where did they find the space?!

Wikipedia says it's model number SCPH-90000, I'll have to find one of these...

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rafaelfc

No, son

the Snes

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#20  Edited By Little_Socrates

Best built console ever probably belongs to the PS2 slim or the GBA SP. I'm not gonna choose between 360 and PS3 because their dashboard/XMB is still too messed up to compare to that simplicity.

That said, best console ever made belongs to the SNES, GBA, PS2, or 360, IMO. And we'll have to see how the 360 games hold up (outside of the downloadable market where almost everything good is a retro throwback of some kind.)

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21  Edited By zyn

HELL YES!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By august
    Sega Genesis, original North American release
    Sega Genesis, original North American release
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Little_Socrates: The SNES has an argument (albeit a nostalgic fueled weak one), the 360 absolutely unequivocally does not, particularly if you're comparing to the PS2 and its 75-90% market share and 2500 games. How many fully priced 360 games even came out this year? 10?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I think the latest Xbox Model is pretty sweet, but for some reason the original Playstation is just so awesome

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Fredchuckdave said:

@Little_Socrates: The SNES has an argument (albeit a nostalgic fueled weak one), the 360 absolutely unequivocally does not, particularly if you're comparing to the PS2 and its 75-90% market share and 2500 games. How many fully priced 360 games even came out this year? 10?

The media functionality, installation of games, downloadable titles leading to a variable price model, and the best online multiplayer outside the PC do count for something, though. PS2 was a more dominant console and it has more games, but quantity does not overtake quality, and most of the best games for the Xbox 360 are actually best on 360. Last couple years, we've finally shifted towards a PC-primary model again, but so much of the 360 lifespan was spent getting the best versions of games like CoD4, BioShock, and more.

How many fully priced 360 games came out this year? Like, probably 200 or so, I dunno. There weren't 2500 exclusive PS2 titles either. Wikipedia pulls up roughly 500 titles exclusive to PS2.

As for the SNES, it's very much a "if you're only going to buy 5/10/20 games for a console, which one would have the best games?" kind of argument. If you only play the best SNES games ever, you're set. But the drop-off in quality between what's good and what's bad is pretty massive, I agree.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26  Edited By jonnyboy

Pretty much. PS2 slim came out recently to play THPS 1&2, just had to confirm what I felt about Robomodo and THPS HD. Fantastic machine.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Little_Socrates: I'm talking major full retail releases, not XBLIG garbage, not 5-10 hour small dev team/Indy games. So what do you have: Mass Effect 3, Max Payne 3, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, X Com, RE6; there's a few upcoming games and I'm sure I'm missing a handful.

I'm still seeing no significant difference between the PS3 and the 360 (except for minor stuff like free online multiplayer, what a horrible thing that is), all you have are exclusive titles. The argument for the 360 is Bastion, Dust, and Mark of the Ninja; are you going to somehow spin those 3 games into superiority? I don't really think it's possible. There's just little or no difference between the two, market share is identical worldwide. It comes down to taste between the extremely rare exclusive games for either console; but almost everything comes out for both. Neither console is either an impressive display of first party exclusive games nor does either indicate any sort of dominance of the market. The most remarkable thing about this generation other than its extended duration is parity if anything, and the dying out of the console wars because you can play almost anything on anything.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By vaiz
    No Caption Provided

Genesis 3, Son. Look how tiny that thing is.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Snail

I remember when new consoles were that light.

Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Fredchuckdave: Whoa, hey, why so hostile? I think the 360 dash is a bit stronger than the XMB, and I do prefer the 360 downloadables (there are more than those mentioned.) And the period of time where the 360 games were superior (check those '07/'08 PS3 ports) was pretty notable. It's close between the two, but I think the 360's stronger than the PS3 by just a little bit. Are we going to have to fight now or something?

There are far more full-retail games this year. All those Kinect games, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, Spec Ops The Line, etc. No, they're not all quality games (though Spec Ops is,) but I wouldn't have said that there were that many strong PS2 games in '00, '05, or '06 either (though the handful of strong '05 PS2 games were fantastic.) You also missed The Darkness II, which is sad, 'cause that game is great.

Anyways, I don't care to carry on this argument anymore. I just want to clarify that there's a difference between the 360 and PS3, and I prefer the 360 by just a bit.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By dagas

The PSTwo is indeed a great console. You can bring it to places and it barely takes any more room than a small book. Also there are still great games for that console that you probably have not played since there are so many great games ofr it, especially JRPG's.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikkaQ

I think it's fantastic, other than the fuckin' toploader.

One could definitely argue that's the best revision on a console made. The Wii may have touted that it's the size of three DVD cases, but this was barely the size of one.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By TobbRobb

I've never had a slim version, since my release day fatty Ps2 is still plugged in and regularily used.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Hizang

@psylah said:

I still keep my PS2 slim on my desk at home, because it is so slick and sleek. It has its own dedicated monitor.

And recently, I purchased a PSOne, because it is so damn kawaii (that's japanese for cute, you baka gaijins)

No Caption Provided

Look at it! Even the end of the controller cord that goes into the console is rounded!

Oh the PSOne is amazing, it's really small, looks great and oh yes has a sweet controller.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fattony12000

@WalkerD: I know right!? So sleek but so stupid!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@Little_Socrates: I'm not hostile I'm just direct, I don't get angry on the internets and while I have some degree of brand loyalty it's not that severe; if the 360 was even a top 5 console I could probably perceive it. I'm such a Sony loyalist that I didn't even buy a PS3 until 2010; because there were barely any good games for either console for 4-5 solid years. That changed but ultimately it's still just a handful of games.

PS2 games that came out at the end of cycle: San Andreas, Metal Gear Solid 3, Resident Evil 4, Final Fantasy XII (extremely solid), Dragon Quest VIII (The only DQ in history not to be boring as fuck), Valkyrie Profile 2, Xenosaga 3, Suikoden V, Rogue Galaxy, obviously I was playing JRPGs at the time (which is probably the best PS2 genre). There were a ton of genre defining games of extremely high production value and overall quality; while 2010-2011 were very solid the exceedingly long leadup and the aftermath are both exceptionally disappointing and dull. There are still dozens of PS2 games I haven't played but could still enjoy immensely (have God Hand just waiting patiently for some attention).

With the PS3 I have to constantly justify mediocre purchases just because prices are so damn low and drop so fast; if I had a 360 it would be much of the same. Now you could say it's not the PS2 or Sony driving success, but simply being the dominant console when there were just a ton of good developers still making solid games. Since the cost of producing a game has gone up so much alongside an inflation of one specific genre there is simply a dearth of creativity industry wide, I appreciate smaller dev team/Indy games as much as the next guy but they still can't possibly provide as much worth as an actual full retail release with 5-20 times as many people working on them.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Justin258

@psylah said:

No Caption Provided

This is the correct answer. Even after I had a PS2 that could play PS1 games with no issue, I kept one of these plugged up because it just looks so damn nice. Unfortunately, I handed it down to my brother and he threw it away when it wouldn't play a super-scratched disc. We had a second one, don't know where it went...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Turambar

@Rafaelfc said:

No, son

the Snes

Are you kidding me? The plastic in the SNES would turn color over time. We're not talking about the games.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rafaelfc

@Turambar said:

@Rafaelfc said:

No, son

the Snes

Are you kidding me? The plastic in the SNES would turn color over time. We're not talking about the games.

I love the SNES design, it's very compact and cool looking, the big buttons are great.

They do turn yellow with age, but I even think old SNES's look badass.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still prefer that fat PS2 over the slim. Maybe it's just because my slim stopped reading discs in like two years ( really should get around to replacing the laser) where as my launch PS2 still reads discs fine. Only thing that sucks is that the early fat models don't support progressive scan.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sploder

PS2 Phat 4 ly43

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By confusedowl

Mine is still sitting up on my shelf waiting to be played. I agree it's one of the better looking consoles, and still to this day remains one of the favourites when it comes to the game library.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By PillClinton
    No Caption Provided

This is still just a badass looking machine.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

I'd probably have to go with the DS Lite. If anybody remembers the first DS were super super ugly and looked like one of those old translation devices. When the lite came out they were so much sleeker and nicer looking I think that iteration made the DS the popular handheld console it is known for during that time period 6 years ago.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By handlas

mmm ehhh...mmemeeemeeeeeee

PS3 Slim (1st one) is still the best piece of hardware imo. Solidly built but light. Minimalistic. Just purty.

Recently bought a Gamecube and my memory doesn't serve me well because I remember liking the design of it. It's so cheapy feeling especially the controller. The triggers feel super flimsy. I imagine that goes for most older consoles.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@handlas: It was probably the handle on the gamecube that made you like the design. Its something no other console has tried to continue going forward.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PillClinton

@handlas said:

Recently bought a Gamecube and my memory doesn't serve me well because I remember liking the design of it. It's so cheapy feeling especially the controller. The triggers feel super flimsy. I imagine that goes for most older consoles.

But you can gut it and use it as a super cool lunchbox! They knew full well what they were doing with that exquisitely necessary handle.

Agreed about the controller, though. The C-stick especially feels like a massive misstep. It's like some weird cross between a proper analog stick and a pseudo d-pad, like two halves of the design team couldn't agree so they just yielded to some half-assed middle ground.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By wadtomaton

I really liked the original PS2

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By ajamafalous
    @KarmaPoliceman said:

Where's it's handle?

That's what I thought, Gamecube is still number 1.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By JazGalaxy

@PillClinton said:

Ah, the PS2... A time when Sony could justify its hubris...

Oh lord no. PS1? Sure. But the PS2 was a terrible console for many, many reasons.

The bottom line being that Sony's mantra has always been "more". They take what worked and just add more on top of it. That being the case, the PS2 was just the PS1, with literally the same controllers and whatnot, but with "more power". Meanwhile The Xbox and Gamecube were off adding value to the players overall experiences.

I still remember the first day I got my PS2 and was pretty much like... it's black. It didn't help that the first game I played was Tekken Tag Tournament, which was basically the exact same Game as Tekken 3, but smoother.

Contrast that with the Xbox which had my friends and i hooking up 4 controllers and playing 4 player games and listening to custom soundtracks via the hard drive...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.