Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

$299 price tag?

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By BiG_Weasel

I'm trying to find the link, but I've read that the price on the PS3 is going down from $399 to $299. Can anyone in the biz confirm this? I've had 2 Xbox 360s, and I sold the last one after it was replaced following a RROD. With tax refunds forthcoming, I'm considering investing in one. 

(I'm sure this has been posted before, but I didn't see anything recently on it.)

Thanks!
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AndrewGaspar

Sony isn't going to say anything about price cuts until it happens. Since you obviously don't have a great economics sense based on your comment about tax refunds, I'll explain why: If they announce a price cut ahead of time, nobody's going to buy a PS3 until the price drops.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

Most likely the announcement will be around March-ish if it's going to happen.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BiG_Weasel
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "Sony isn't going to say anything about price cuts until it happens. Since you obviously don't have a great economics sense based on your comment about tax refunds, I'll explain why: If they announce a price cut ahead of time, nobody's going to buy a PS3 until the price drops."
    I deal extensively with the economic situation (I'm in B2B sales), and know that impulse buying generally occurs once Uncle Sam returns some of our money. And to add a little counterpoint to your second argument: No one's buying PS3s now at their current price. There's no perceived value in the console at this point among non-enthusiasts. Microsoft leaked info before their drops, and it actually helped. People need time to get that kind of cash together, especially in tough times.

And I do believe your speculation about March would be accurate, LiquidPrince.
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By zityz

Would be nice, I can finally pick one up for MGS4, LBP, Killzone 2 and inFamous ( I could give a rats piss about blu ray movies)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By get2sammyb

They won't drop it until the new fiscal year. I would assume they'd do it in April if they are going to do it.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By shadows_kill
    HartKnight said:
    "zityz said:
    "Would be nice, I can finally pick one up for MGS4, LBP, Killzone 2 and inFamous ( I could give a rats piss about blu ray movies)"
    You really should start caring about rat piss."
    yeah cause its a cure for cancer. (dont tell ANYONE)
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By psmgamer

I heard rumors of Sony dropping the price of the PS3 come March from websites but I doubt Sony would drop the price. They would lose even more money then they are now losing on the PS3 at its current prices.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Karmum

You have to be kidding me. I would have held off purchasing anything from Best Buy if I knew this might be happening.

Fuck.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By KamasamaK

They were offering $150 credit for a while (which would make the 80GB model $249.99), but I think they stopped that recently. You'll just have to hope for a price drop or another deal.

shambles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By shambles

i can totally picture a $299 40 gig ps3 with killzone2 around mid feb - march...

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By psmgamer

I predict that the 80GB will drop from $399 to $349 or $299 and that the 160GB model will drop from $499 to $399.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By granderojo

I decided to get an iPhone instead of a PS3 recently, but if it price drops I will shell down the cash.

Every time I plan on buying a PS3 I spend the cash on something else, like before I bought some tires for my truck.

Anyways I really want one before God of War 3, Killzone 2 and Final Fantasy XIII.

If it drops to 299$, day one purchase.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince
    thabigred said:
    "I decided to get an iPhone instead of a PS3 recently, but if it price drops I will shell down the cash.

Every time I plan on buying a PS3 I spend the cash on something else, like before I bought some tires for my truck.

Anyways I really want one before God of War 3, Killzone 2 and Final Fantasy XIII.

If it drops to 299$, day one purchase."

Day one, three years after release you mean =P

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    psmgamer said:
    "I heard rumors of Sony dropping the price of the PS3 come March from websites but I doubt Sony would drop the price. They would lose even more money then they are now losing on the PS3 at its current prices."
    It's all about software sales. Any loss Sony takes on the hardware should be made up through software. That's how it has worked for almost every console in recent memory.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Gunner
    shadows_kill said:
    "HartKnight said:
    "zityz said:
    "Would be nice, I can finally pick one up for MGS4, LBP, Killzone 2 and inFamous ( I could give a rats piss about blu ray movies)"
    You really should start caring about rat piss."
    yeah cause its a cure for cancer. (dont tell ANYONE)"
    Thank god i take a bath in rat piss every day then. I smell terrible but ill be the one laughing as everyone dies from skin cancer.

I doubt sony will drop their prices any time soon, did you look at the chart? they are trying way too hard to convince people that $399 is a good price.
    granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By granderojo
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "psmgamer said:
    "I heard rumors of Sony dropping the price of the PS3 come March from websites but I doubt Sony would drop the price. They would lose even more money then they are now losing on the PS3 at its current prices."
    It's all about software sales. Any loss Sony takes on the hardware should be made up through software. That's how it has worked for almost every console in recent memory."
    well I meant that if the price dropped I would blow 300 dollars in a heartbeat, but the more I think about it the more I want this before killzone2 and God of War2.  I played through all of MGS4 at my bros house, awesome game, but  I didn't feel all the hype.

Game seemed amazing in certain areas, but really flat in others, I mean I liked the story in the past two snakes way better than this one, old snake just didn't compel me.
    Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Optiow

They are still the same price over here.

johnw188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By johnw188

I'd say $349 is almost guaranteed, but $299 doesn't really have a chance.

44MAGNUMRAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By 44MAGNUMRAM

what? dont let the media fool you into thinking theres a price cut coming soon.
    thats what led to the november NPD fiasco in which the media is now licking thier own wounds from.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By NateDogg

If the PS3 was priced at $299 I'd almost have no choice but to get one cause that thing won't get any cheaper than that.

I'm really hoping that Kill Zone 2 turns out to be a killer app because that game alone is going to make or break whether I buy a PS3 or not.
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By psmgamer

If the 80GB model does go to $299 can we expect the 160GB to get dropped to $399?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravensword

I wonder how the outlook would be then. all the sites that say :bah, PS3 is lame" will suddenly be saying " wohoo PS3 is teh Sex!'

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StressedOutCat

My question is , will the build quality be as good as it is now ? or will they suffer more because of the price cut ?

Cause I wanna know how they gonna manage it being down to $299 a unit ( selling it at a loss again ) while keeping the build quality up to par.
    Specially since they lost 1.1billion dollars.

Usually somethings gotta give when you stretch the limits like that.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.