Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Best RPG I can buy for PS3?

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By btman

I've never really gotten that much into RPG's besides MMO's and I was wondering what would be a good game for a first timer.  Just tell me if there's an old one i should get or if there's any new ones about to come out that should be good.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Reuben

Demon's Souls is a really good PS3 exclusive RPG but for a first timer then I'm not so sure since it is a difficult game. Though maybe rent it first before buying, that's what I did and I ended up buying it because I liked it so much.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By delta_ass

Oblivion's really good. You can get 100 hours out of it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Hailinel

If you can find it, I highly recommend Eternal Sonata.  Not the longest RPG, but one of my favorites of this generation.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xyzygy

I would say Star Ocean 4... it has a great battle system... but everything else about that game is totally forgettable, especially the characters. I can't stress that enough - ESPECIALLY THE CHARACTERS! They are so derivative, uninteresting and their voice acting is some of the worst I've heard in a game. RPGs are meant to have great characters to make you feel for about them, but when you play a game where you just want every character to stop talking it kind of ruins the mood.  

Try Eternal Sonata - It's a really cool music-themed RPG with a fun battle system similar to the Tales games, except your movements are timed. It makes it a little more strategic, but it's still pretty easy. Your characters are all named after music concepts, they fight with intrsument-like weapons. Allegretto, one of the main characters, fights using a sword whose handle looks like the head of a violin. Polka, another character, fights with her parasol which has the shaft of an Oboe. It's a fun game! 

There is also Valkyria Chronicles but it's a very different RPG and being a first timer, I don't think it's something to get into right yet. Maybe if you play some more RPGs before it to get the jist of the genre, and to see how special it is. I personally don't care for it but it is very different. 

People will probably tell you about Demon's Souls, but be warned it's a very demanding game. The learning curve at the beginning is very high and if one character dies (even a shopkeeper) they're gone for good in a playthrough. Play it when you think you're ready for a challenge.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Vigilance

I would say Fallout 3 myself. 

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By handlas

Demon's Souls. 

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane
    @xyzygy:
    Forgettable? Not really,  more like, you want to forget. Damn the voice acting...Especially Sarah and Lymle. Lymle's 'kay and Sarah's horrible speech haunts me to this very day. 
    The game's pretty good though. 

Most of the rpgs on PS3 aren't really rpg, they're more like TBS/RPG.
    Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yukoei

Dragon Age: Origins.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Driadon

Depends on your preference, but I'll throw another vote in to each Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon Age.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy
    @Shirogane said:
    " @xyzygy: Forgettable? Not really,  more like, you want to forget. Damn the voice acting...Especially Sarah and Lymle. Lymle's 'kay and Sarah's horrible speech haunts me to this very day. The game's pretty good though.  Most of the rpgs on PS3 aren't really rpg, they're more like TBS/RPG. "
    Yeah, It's weird because Lymle's "Kay" Actually started growing on me and then I started thinking that she is a really cute little girl. I just wish they did more to her facial animations, but I still think she is kind of cute. 

Sarah on the other hand... what a batshit terrible character. I mean she acts like someone who is pretending to be stupid, even though she is really not pretending - she is actually just that stupid. And it's not just in a cute, innocent way, she's annoying and when you see her following you in the party and she gets ready to talk it's constant facepalm.  

I do love the game though, for it's battle system alone. If the characters were better it would be perfect! 
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By demonbear
    @Driadon said:
    " Depends on your preference, but I'll throw another vote in to each Demon's Souls, Valkyria Chronicles and Dragon Age. "
    Valkyria aint much of an rpg and more of a turnbased strategy. But it is a great game, totally worth playing. Otherwise most suggestions are fine, dragon age, oblivion, fallout 3.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp

To start off? Oblivion Game of the Year edition is the only answer.

Especially since you're experienced only in MMOs, get ready to make a difference in the world you play in on Oblivion.

I'd stay away from the PS3 version of Fallout 3...it's really quite buggy on that platform.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Captain_Insano
    @Yukoei said:
    " Dragon Age: Origins. "
    this
    Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jikla

Valkyria Chronicles.

"Also Tales of Vesperia comes out on PS3 soon as well, its supposed to have some new stuff added to it from the 360 version, and most people will agree that its one of, if not The best RPG this console generation so far." Tales of the abyss was better. But that's my opinion

v

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By v

Plus, get some PS1 rpgs. they made some pretty good ones for that console...

Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Noxpectius

Tales Of Vesperia. Best RPG of this Generation.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust

Games with less story than some of the one suggested above, but still very much worth your time include Borderlands and Sacred 2: Fallen Angel.  Both of these are more loot-based RPGs.  I'm sure you know about Borderlands, but Sacred 2 is one that gets overlooked a lot.  It's a Diablo-styled game with a decent amount of customization. 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Seppli

Demon's Souls - even though I'd not really call it a RPG. It's more of a slowerpaced, tactical and highly athmospheric hack 'n slash game with a very interesting online component.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Noxpectus said:
    " Tales Of Vesperia. Best RPG of this Generation. "
    Only counting JRPG's, right?
    Even so, I'd take Demon's Souls and Lost Odyssey over it.

@PenguinDust said:
    " Games with less story than some of the one suggested above, but still very much worth your time include Borderlands and Sacred 2: Fallen Angel.  Both of these are more loot-based RPGs.  I'm sure you know about Borderlands, but Sacred 2 is one that gets overlooked a lot.  It's a Diablo-styled game with a decent amount of customization.  "

Sacred 2 is OK, too many fetch quests and tedium.   I also don't know why you'd play the PS3 version..  The console versions were horrible.  Were they ever patched?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By xyzygy

Do not get the PS3 version of Sacred 2. I had it and it was just a horrible experience... so glitchy, bugged, online was a joke (people were popping in and out, not very many people). 

@Jikla said:

"

"Also Tales of Vesperia comes out on PS3 soon as well, its supposed to have some new stuff added to it from the 360 version, and most people will agree that its one of, if not The best RPG this console generation so far." Tales of the abyss was better. But that's my opinion

"
    Tales of Vesperia has been out in Japan for a longgg time, but it's in Japanese. I'm guessing that this guy who is new to RPGs doesn't know how to read Japanese like 95% of the population of the west, but who knows? It's likely that they won't even release the PS3 version in NA because it's been so long since it's come out. There is a lot of text in that game and if you can't read it... it's basically useless.
    NynJah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NynJah

Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls

Noxpectius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Noxpectius

If not Tales Of Vesperia, then Dragon Age.: Origins.

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By illmatic19
    @NynJah said:
    " Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls "
    Do this NOW.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince

Dragon Age: Origins.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Faint

depends if you want an RPG or a JRPG. there is very different styles between the two, though both have excellent games. i would say dragon age for rpg, or demon souls from what ive heard only (havent played it yet), or for jrpg hit up valkyria chronicles, or wait for final fantasy xiii in a few weeks.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By Cerza

Dragon Age Origins, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Eternal Sonata, and Tales of Vesparia if you know Japanese and can import it. Since you say you're new to RPG's I wouldn't recommend Demon Souls. That game is hard.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Marz

Just wait a month and get Final Fantasy XIII

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By btman
    @Faint said:
    " depends if you want an RPG or a JRPG. there is very different styles between the two, though both have excellent games.  "
    what's the difference between the two?
    Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Faint
    @btman: well, the main and obvious difference being that a JRPG is a japanese RPG. when i think of most jrpg's a turn-based battle system comes to mind though that isnt in every game of the genre, but certainly a large portion. jrpg's in the case of final fantasy games, may also be guilty of having dozens of characters with impossible hairstyles! okay ive got it. while an RPG might be like, say Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, which i liken to dungeons and dragons (putting on some armour, riding a horse, slashing at gremlins and dragons, that sort of thing), JRPG's have a much more obvious attention and influence to asian pop culture. ^-^ V <- lots of this sort of thing in many cases. mind you im not bagging out JRPG's, as I do like them very much so. 

at the moment im playing mass effect 2, which although is a third person shooter, or over the shoulder, whatever is technically correct terminology, it has clear western role playing mechanics and gameplay (rpg), though im waiting out for final fantasy xiii on launch day (jrpg).
    Avatar image for hypotheticalsolution76
    HypotheticalSolution76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Faint said:
    " @btman: well, the main and obvious difference being that a JRPG is a japanese RPG. when i think of most jrpg's a turn-based battle system comes to mind though that isnt in every game of the genre, but certainly a large portion. jrpg's in the case of final fantasy games, may also be guilty of having dozens of characters with impossible hairstyles! okay ive got it. while an RPG might be like, say Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion, which i liken to dungeons and dragons (putting on some armour, riding a horse, slashing at gremlins and dragons, that sort of thing), JRPG's have a much more obvious attention and influence to asian pop culture. ^-^ V <- lots of this sort of thing in many cases. mind you im not bagging out JRPG's, as I do like them very much so.   at the moment im playing mass effect 2, which although is a third person shooter, or over the shoulder, whatever is technically correct terminology, it has clear western role playing mechanics and gameplay (rpg), though im waiting out for final fantasy xiii on launch day (jrpg). "
    I agree. You can play Oblivion now and then try Final Fantasy XIII next month. Work within each style and if you prefer one, chances are other titles follow very similarly.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By trophyhunter

dragon age

AngelKore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AngelKore

Valkyria Chronicles, definitely. Demon's Souls is also another RPG/pressure test, if you are into that kind of stuff.

Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rockdalf

I would definitely throw a vote in for FFXIII.  It looks good, even though I thought XII was a critical failure.

But seriously, if you want a "Good" RPG, go back to PS1 and pick something out from Wild Arms, Suikoden (PS1 stuff), Breath of Fire or Final Fantasy.  I thoroughly enjoyed each title as they came out and I feel there is something in them that is missing in a lot of JRPG's now a days.

If you don't want to get FFXIII I would strongly suggest a WRPG, as they have more promise as of late.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Download Suikoden.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36  Edited By chililili

Valkyria Chronicles

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#37  Edited By TobyD81

Valkyria Chronicles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.