Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Good News: PSN Back (Maybe) Within a Week, Bad News: Everything Else [Updated]

Lukin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#251  Edited By Lukin

It seems everyone is holding Sony 100% responsible for all this because the PSN security was so badly designed, but remember Sony were targeted specifically and the information released by hackers have made these attacks all the easier. But any time you enter you info in to any online service you are at risk and I'm sure hackers are able to get in to any other online services if the have the mind too. 

I am not defending Sony here, they have really messed up, but they did not just give away the info, and the supposed freedom fighter hackers who were apparently standing up for our rights a few weeks ago are the very people who have enabled and encouraged this whole situation. 

Whether they meant to or not does not really matter anymore now. It's all very depressing really, all this fuss over a games console.
    fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#252  Edited By fox01313

Glad that I was sticking with my first thought with the PSN, buy points elsewhere & don't put my cc info there. Time will tell just how hacked this is & wondering how long the idiots who did this will take before shouting out that they did it.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fucking hell

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#254  Edited By KaosAngel
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @McShank: Yes, I take the risk whenever I put my information online.  I also expect to be notified when this information has potentially been compromised.  What Sony have done here is criminal and defending them for it is outright retarded. "
    The irony here is that some users call me a PS3 fanboy, and yet I'm fuming.  I have a fucking Blue American Express card on there from my family's business, and I have no idea if the morons at Sony lost it to the hackers or not.

Seriously, WHO THE FUCK PUTS USER INFORMATION AS A .TXT FILE?!  

It's fucking 2011, both Valve and Microsoft use 256bit encryption.  Hell, even Nintendo might have some.  Sony is a premier technology company, how the fuck does that even happen?  A .txt file, really?!
    effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By effache

fuck you, sony. I don't care if your service goes down for a month, I'll live, but compromising the information of paying customers is absolute bullshit. FUCK you, sony

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#256  Edited By Gizmo

Sucks for Socom 4 , when PSN finally comes back online the community will be dead.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#257  Edited By cornbredx

Oh fuck me.

This really sucks.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By penguindust

But it's free, right?  So, this is totally acceptable.

Yeah.  *sigh*
    CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By CarpetRemnant
    @JoeyRavn: IT JUST MIGHT BE :D
    FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#260  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

If this is as serious as it sounds, Sony is getting sued into oblivion.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#261  Edited By damswedon
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Who the fuck puts user information as a .txt file? "
    Wait is that true?
    tranceaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By tranceaddix

You guys shouldn't be so worried about CC - it's easy to reverse fraudulent charges. The billing address and birthdates are the real issue here.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#263  Edited By Fallen189

Can somebody give me a reasonable explanation over the righteous indignation that seems to be rampant in these threads?

Yes, the entire thing sucks, we know that. But there's so many flaws in these arguments, it seems like.

They probably "took so long" in explaining it because they either didn't know about it, or because it was the Easter weekend. I know someone will viamently tell me I'm a flaming homosexual for even INSINUATING that they dare take a minute off work.

Why does everyone have to change EVERY PASSWORD EVER? For one, who even uses the same password for everything these days? That's not Sonys fault, that's on you.

Why is the whole debacle over the credit cards such a big deal aswell? Instead of pounding away on an online message board, have you considered putting down the doritos and maybe, calling your bank?

And stop saying you're going to boycott sony. You aren't
    flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By flannelbeard

i am a legitimate software developer and while this stuff can happen and i understand and i am not even mad at Sony, i just wanted to say

FUCK THESE "HACKER" ASSHOLES! You are hurting people more than companies you attack.

I just got though fighting CC fraud and now I am going to have to cancel my card again. FUCK YOU!
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#265  Edited By Jost1

*logs into PSN a year from now*

*tumbleweed*

Tondo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Tondo

Holy shit, feel sorry for anyone this happened :( Damn, if nothing else, I hope other companies take notice and strenghten their security !

kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#267  Edited By kmg90
    @Olivaw said:

" I've just realized that this is a total disaster.This is literally the worst possible situation that could ever occur to any online platform.How the fuck did they let this happen, and furthermore, how can they handle in such a sloppy, uninformative way? "

This is sony we are talking about, they are great with handling disasters, (Rootkit and trying to play off that their were no security holes made by the hidden software in sony music CDs.  them going after hackers which did nothing to stop but infuriate  the last group of people you want to piss off, the hacking community)

I'm still awestruck of how assine sony was with their internal network layout, its mind boggling

They were so worried about the security of their physical hardware (PS3, root keys, PSN log in access) that they didn't they "We should take a step back and look at internal network now that a consumer has an eagle eye on what they can/does access on our network with their new found security holes in our consumer hardware....

Seriously I can't name one service in which the developers service and live production service are together as one.

Here we are back to square one, with the entire consumer base of Playstation affected when trying to combat a minority group of enthusiasts and pirates
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#268  Edited By KaosAngel
    @damswedon said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Wait is that true? "
    The news story on ArsTechnica and Reddit said it was right.  They don't BS with that kind of stuff.  They said there was no encryption on the user information...so that means it must've been a .txt file.
    Battletoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#269  Edited By Battletoad

I hope that this causes all but the most loyal (read: brainwashed) Sony fans to finally lose all faith in the company. Poor PS Tablet sales, poor NGP sales, mass PS3 trade-ins, abandonment of PSN, and a healthy increase in second-hand sales of 3.55-or lower OFW PS3 consoles.

But Sony makes some good games. Surely its customers will continue to lap them up like good obedient dogs, looking past all the routine abuse just to get their treats.

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#270  Edited By Titl

This is pretty fucked up i have to say. I don't remember if i have my credit card linked to PSN or not. can't even check it right now.

I hate hackers.

effache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By effache

Well, on the bright side we all have to get something free out of this, right?

positron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#272  Edited By positron

This is a disaster. No wonder Sony are saying as little as possible. 

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By BasketSnake

Wow, E3 is going to be aaaaaaawkwaaaard...

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#274  Edited By damswedon
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @damswedon said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Wait is that true? "
    The news story on ArsTechnica and Reddit said it was right.  They don't BS with that kind of stuff.  They said there was no encryption on the user information...so that means it must've been a .txt file. "
    THE FUCK SONY!
    lutonhatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By lutonhatter

Well thats a bummer, good job the CC details they have for me are for an expired card. And I'm also pretty sure my password for PSN is unique. 

For those trolling with, you get what you pay for or haha its because Sony suck. Er no any service like this if it is large enough to be an attractive target to fraudsters is going to be targeted. 70 million users with a high percentage with valid CC details stored with the diversion of anonymous sound like a good target for fraudsters.

It will interesting to find out if the people who produced the customer firmware were the ones that created the window of opportunity for the fraudsters. Sadly, as I think you should be able to do what you want with hardware you own, I think this will serve as a perfect example for Sony lawyers as why the 'hacking' that Geohot et. al. carried out should be considered an illegal act.

AllanIceman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By AllanIceman

FFFF ME!!! 

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#277  Edited By N7
    @flannelbeard said:
    " i am a legitimate software developer and while this stuff can happen and i understand and i am not even mad at Sony, i just wanted to say

FUCK THESE "HACKER" ASSHOLES! You are hurting people more than companies you attack.

I just got though fighting CC fraud and now I am going to have to cancel my card again. FUCK YOU!
    "
    Indeed. Everyone needs to take a minute out of their "SONY IS DUMB" rage and realize that they aren't the one responsible for this happening. It may be their fault, yes, but remember what happened when Sony tried to protect their console from GeoHot? Yeah, everyone bitched at them. "How dare you try to protect your console! I bought it, I can do whatever I want with it!". Indeed you can do whatever you want with it, like steal the information of millions of people. Don't worry though, in about a month everyone will forget about that and start blaming Sony for this stuff.

So, it seems like Sony is damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By Malakhii

Wow, Sony really shit the bed on this one. 

PrnceOfPwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By PrnceOfPwng

So glad all my friends and I bought Socom last tuesday (Thank god i got mk9 and portal for xbox).

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By SirOptimusPrime
    @Wikitoups: ...

K?

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By Peanut

Bunch of fucking clowns. 

And how could any of you blind motherfuckers with your blue names still seriously be there standing up for this horseshit? The human race is truly sad.
    flannelbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By flannelbeard
    @KaosAngel: @KaosAngel said:
    " @damswedon said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Wait is that true? "
    The news story on ArsTechnica and Reddit said it was right.  They don't BS with that kind of stuff.  They said there was no encryption on the user information...so that means it must've been a .txt file. "
    No, that is not necessarily what it means. Passwords are normally encrypted your address and birthday and other info are usually not. i am pretty damn sure they don't have millions of user records in a text file. that would not even work for what they are doing.
    drew327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By drew327

Firefox will straight up tell you your password

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#285  Edited By EuanDewar
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @damswedon said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    Wait is that true? "
    You're shitting me...What kind of perfect storm of moronic cunts thinks its alright to put millions of people's personal information on a fucking .txt file?
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Heliosicle said:
    " @Snapstacle: lol what?  "
    Yeah, some real tards here don't know what a joke at my own expense is.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287  Edited By Meowshi
    @Fallen189 said:
    " Can somebody give me a reasonable explanation over the righteous indignation that seems to be rampant in these threads?

Yes, the entire thing sucks, we know that. But there's so many flaws in these arguments, it seems like.

They probably "took so long" in explaining it because they either didn't know about it, or because it was the Easter weekend. I know someone will viamently tell me I'm a flaming homosexual for even INSINUATING that they dare take a minute off work.

Why does everyone have to change EVERY PASSWORD EVER? For one, who even uses the same password for everything these days? That's not Sonys fault, that's on you.

Why is the whole debacle over the credit cards such a big deal aswell? Instead of pounding away on an online message board, have you considered putting down the doritos and maybe, calling your bank?

And stop saying you're going to boycott sony. You aren't
    "
    If you're trying to come off as annoying and dismissive, then mission accomplished. 
    Mijati

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#288  Edited By Mijati
    @N7:  How can you possibly be defending Sony in any way for not properly securing their network? Hundreds of thousands of people's personal informations are out there, most likely credit card details too. I'm sorry, but no one is to blame for that information big accessible other than Sony.
    RaidenMitsuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By RaidenMitsuru

It took them all this time to tell us this, really? This is gross.

Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By Butchio

Im somewhat of a fanboy when it comes to the PS3, thou I have owned a few xboxes. I have all my details on my account and I subscribe to psn+, but this is too much. Sony should not get away with this. My PS3:

It
    Only
    Does
    Blu Rays
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By DonPixel

well this on is to become one of the biggest screw ups of the industry history, and yet again the award goes to SONY! 

Poki3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By Poki3

I'd like to know the size of the information leek. Did they actually steal a million user database, or just part of it?

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By Jeffsekai

What a joke, nice work Sony.

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By JMartNWA

(From E3 2011) - Ladies and Gentlemen, Jack Tretton... (Polite applause)

"We are really really F'n sorry... and not just for the giant crab and attacking weak points for maximum damage."

Thanks for attending this year's event.  Under your chairs, you will find 5000 dollars.  Do with it as you see fit.  We look forward to 2012.

wonderhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By wonderhare

Thank God I never actually bought anything from PSN :l

Battletoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#296  Edited By Battletoad

"You're shitting me...What kind of perfect storm of moronic cunts thinks its alright to put millions of people's personal information on a fucking .txt file?"

----the same moronic cunts that think a RNG should equal 4?

craftpug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By craftpug

Only the NDX can save us now. Get on the train, Sony!

tranceaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By tranceaddix

You guys should be worried about your address and birthdate not credit card information, as I said earlier. 

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By OmegaChosen

This is seriously messed. I came off better than most though. The debit card I have on PSN is expired and ever since the whole Gawker debacle(which I luckily was not compromised in even though I have a Gawker account) I've used different passwords for all my stuff. I've changed a few passwords to be safe of course but I'm mostly just waiting for PSN to get back on to change that password.

Also, expecting them to inform everyone that their information was taken even at the smallest inkling that it might have been taken is crazy. I highly doubt they'd want to create a panic at any point. "I smell smoke. THERE'S A FIRE EVERYBODY! FUCKIN' RUN FOR THE HILLS! WE'RE ALL GONNA BURN ALIVE!"

This is why I'm starting to hate hackers. So self righteous about their "right" to do what they do with their gaming platforms, under the thinly veiled belief that their the "good" hackers, and then one of their own decides to be a fucknut and steal all this information for giggles and identity theft. And then the hackers have the gall to say, "Well, Sony should have better protection." They did, until someone decided to rip that shit open and give it to everybody like a punk.

NintenDood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By NintenDood

Wow, what the fuck Sony? I'll be sure to never buy anything from PSN from now on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.