Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is $300 the PS3 sweet spot?

• 106 results
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

Edited By AgentJ

The most recent price drop is like a breath of fresh air for anyone who has ever enjoyed a game on a sony console. The drop was long-warranted, perhaps even as long as since when the console was infamously introduced at E3 over 3 years ago.  Frankly I was thrilled that the PS3 slim was announced at the 300 dollar price spot. However, there was one aspect of it that was a complete deal-breaker for me. 
    As recently as a week ago I finally obtained my own PS2 (in a straight up trade for the entire Naruto series, which i had gotten on the cheap and never bothered to unwrap). I've loved it so far, especially Odin Sphere. So you would think that I regret the trade now? Not at all. 
    The main problem that I had with the PS3 is something that has been maintained, despite consumer dismay. That is the lack of backwards compatability. On its own it only has a bare minimum of games I want that I don't already own on the 360 (Those being Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted and perhaps the Ninja Gaiden remakes). If the console at this 300 dollar price had backwards compatability, I wouldn't be here writing this blog post (my first in a few months). Instead I'd be banging on the doors at Target begging them to let me in when the sliding doors were only feet away (i can be kind of a loon sometimes).  
    So, in summary:  
                                   Playstation 3 worth 300 dollars for people who do own PS2s and not 360s? YES  
                                         Playstation 3 worth 300 dollars for people who do own PS2s and 360's? No
                       Playstation 3 worth 300 dollars for people who don't own PS2s and do own 360s? NOT NEARLY 
    If/When Sony does release a BC PS3 at 300 dollars, I'll be there day one. Until then, I'll be happy with my PS2 (and Wii, DS, PSP, and 360)

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AgentJ

The most recent price drop is like a breath of fresh air for anyone who has ever enjoyed a game on a sony console. The drop was long-warranted, perhaps even as long as since when the console was infamously introduced at E3 over 3 years ago.  Frankly I was thrilled that the PS3 slim was announced at the 300 dollar price spot. However, there was one aspect of it that was a complete deal-breaker for me. 
    As recently as a week ago I finally obtained my own PS2 (in a straight up trade for the entire Naruto series, which i had gotten on the cheap and never bothered to unwrap). I've loved it so far, especially Odin Sphere. So you would think that I regret the trade now? Not at all. 
    The main problem that I had with the PS3 is something that has been maintained, despite consumer dismay. That is the lack of backwards compatability. On its own it only has a bare minimum of games I want that I don't already own on the 360 (Those being Metal Gear Solid 4, Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted and perhaps the Ninja Gaiden remakes). If the console at this 300 dollar price had backwards compatability, I wouldn't be here writing this blog post (my first in a few months). Instead I'd be banging on the doors at Target begging them to let me in when the sliding doors were only feet away (i can be kind of a loon sometimes).  
    So, in summary:  
                                   Playstation 3 worth 300 dollars for people who do own PS2s and not 360s? YES  
                                         Playstation 3 worth 300 dollars for people who do own PS2s and 360's? No
                       Playstation 3 worth 300 dollars for people who don't own PS2s and do own 360s? NOT NEARLY 
    If/When Sony does release a BC PS3 at 300 dollars, I'll be there day one. Until then, I'll be happy with my PS2 (and Wii, DS, PSP, and 360)

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Fallen189

I own a 360 but when I have a PC, I barely even acknowledge it. I use it for HD remix, when I'm feeling fighty. Otherwise, my PC does everything my xbox does and more :(

Also you are a loon.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AgentJ
    @Fallen189 said:
    " I own a 360 but when I have a PC, I barely even acknowledge it. I use it for HD remix, when I'm feeling fighty. Otherwise, my PC does everything my xbox does and more :(  Also you are a loon. "
    A... Loon? 

I'm sure the PC would be great, but I get so frustrated with them, even with just steam
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

I think the sweet spot for all consoles is about $150.  That's where consoles get the majority of their sales.  You can see why this will be a long generation.

I'm a hardcore gamer, to me PS3 was worth it at $600 when I bought it.  A lot of people aren't willing to do that sort of thing.

I'm definitely still more into console gaming even after getting this PC.  The exclusive games just aren't there on PC anymore.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By mike

I agree with Diamond. $199 is what I think the low-end SKU's for consoles should be at, with $150 being the price where I buy it no matter how little interest I have in it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    @Diamond said:
    " I think the sweet spot for all consoles is about $150.  That's where consoles get the majority of their sales.  You can see why this will be a long generation.   I'm a hardcore gamer, to me PS3 was worth it at $600 when I bought it.  A lot of people aren't willing to do that sort of thing.  I'm definitely still more into console gaming even after getting this PC.  The exclusive games just aren't there on PC anymore. "
    I dont think being a hardcore gamer makes buying one console for 600 dollars okay. Hell, i've got 5 different consoles now with 225 games between them, and I didn't pay more than 250 for any of them (i'd rather pay the majority of that money on games). Then again, I'm sure everyone has a different idea of what is reasonable to pay for consoles. I just don't think that it's worth it for the games I want yet. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @MB said:
    " I agree with Diamond. $199 is what I think the low-end SKU's for consoles should be at, with $150 being the price where I buy it no matter how little interest I have in it. "
    You'd buy a console you dont even care about if it was 150? Maybe its because I'm still a poor college student, but that seems like way too much. I didn't even buy a PS2 at 70 bucks, and opted for a trade instead. 
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By mike
    @AgentJ: Yeah it's all relative. $150 isn't exactly a lot of money.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    @MB said:
    " @AgentJ: Yeah it's all relative. $150 isn't exactly a lot of money. "
    It is to me! I could buy two tacos at Jack in the Box 140 times a year with that money! I could buy 10-15 used games!
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By choffy21
    @AgentJ said:

" @MB said:

It is to me! I could buy two tacos at Jack in the Box 140 times a year with that money! I could buy 10-15 used games! "
    $150 is half a pay check for a 16 year old, working 20 hours a week making minimum wage (a.k.a. me).
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
    @choffy21 said:
    " @AgentJ said:

" @MB said:

It is to me! I could buy two tacos at Jack in the Box 140 times a year with that money! I could buy 10-15 used games! "
    $150 is half a pay check for a 16 year old, working 20 hours a week making minimum wage (a.k.a. me). "
    So i'm stingy. Sue me. (I don't have a full time job, mostly because it would affect my grades. Some people can do college and work simultaneously. I don't think i could. I just make the pittance I do working for the newspaper)
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I will own a PS3 before this year comes to a close.
    The exclusives arent enough to convince but, a Blu-Ray player that also plays a library of exclusive games is more than enough to make my buy one.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By choffy21
    @AgentJ said:
    " @choffy21 said:
    " @AgentJ said:

" @MB said:

$150 is half a pay check for a 16 year old, working 20 hours a week making minimum wage (a.k.a. me). "
    So i'm stingy. Sue me. (I don't have a full time job, mostly because it would affect my grades. Some people can do college and work simultaneously. I don't think i could. I just make the pittance I do working for the newspaper) "
    Same here. 16 year old senior, sports editor for the school newspaper and balance a job, allowing time to play games and keep my social life. It's all about balance man. You're going to have to learn how to balance more than one thing eventually. Might as well start now.
    KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By KazHirai

Yes ofcourse it is the fuckin sweet spot. Don't fuck with me unless you're Jack or Ken. 
    -Kaz Hirai CEO of Sony Entertainment Japan    
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By choffy21
    @KazHirai said:

" Yes ofcourse it is the fuckin sweet spot. Don't fuck with me unless you're Jack or Ken. -Kaz Hirai CEO of Sony Entertainment Japan     "

Hey Kaz.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Red

When the crap will people stop complaining about Backwards compatibility?

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By choffy21
    @Red said:
    " When the crap will people stop complaining about Backwards compatibility? "
    When it is finally implemented (somehow). Despite Sony touting it as the most powerful console on the market, the less powerful 360 and Wii both are backwards compatible.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Red
    @choffy21 said:
    " @Red said:
    When it is finally implemented (somehow). Despite Sony touting it as the most powerful console on the market, the less powerful 360 and Wii both are backwards compatible. "
    But everyone has a PS2. No one wants to play PS2 games anymore. If you do, get a bloody PS2.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AgentJ
    @choffy21 said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    " @choffy21 said:
    " @AgentJ said:

" @MB said:

So i'm stingy. Sue me. (I don't have a full time job, mostly because it would affect my grades. Some people can do college and work simultaneously. I don't think i could. I just make the pittance I do working for the newspaper) "
    Same here. 16 year old senior, sports editor for the school newspaper and balance a job, allowing time to play games and keep my social life. It's all about balance man. You're going to have to learn how to balance more than one thing eventually. Might as well start now. "
    1. You are a 16 year old senior. Most people will never be as driven as you. 
    2. I'll be fine once college is over.  
    But enough talking about me. The PS3 needs BC!
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AgentJ
    @Red said:
    " @choffy21 said:
    " @Red said:
    When it is finally implemented (somehow). Despite Sony touting it as the most powerful console on the market, the less powerful 360 and Wii both are backwards compatible. "
    But everyone has a PS2. No one wants to play PS2 games anymore. If you do, get a bloody PS2. "
    As I said in my blog, I JUST got mine. that plus a PS3 would normally set me back nearly 400 before I even have a game (if i hadn't made a sweet exchange). Besides, who wants to have two seperate consoles when you could have the same one do both? I hate going behind my TV to switch AV cables, and it would just be one less time that i'd have to do so. 
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, I think you forgot LittleBigPlanet, and the better version of FF13. Those are enough for me.

FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FrEeZe
    @AgentJ: It's people like you who didn't buy the PS3 in it's first year and instead complained about the price that made Sony cut corners to try and reduce the price so that they can appease you. But now you won't purchase the system because it has no BC.  

I'm sorry Sony hasn't decided to just mail you a free PS3 yet, you just keep waiting until that happens.
    hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By hatking

I think free is a pretty good sweet spot, I'm pretty sure I would get one then.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By calidan777

Yeah I think $300 is the sweet spot.........if that were the price in 2006.Don't get me wrong,I payed $600 for my 60gb launch system,but I'm a hardcore gamer.The fact that the PS3 is in last place is nobody's fault but Sony's.They were so damn cocky that they thought they could sell a console at an insane price and still achieve PS2 size sales.I don't feel sorry for them at all,they made their bed and now they have to lay in it.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentJ
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Wait, I think you forgot LittleBigPlanet, and the better version of FF13. Those are enough for me. "
    Sorry, I didn't like LittleBigPlanet much at all when I played it at PAX last year, which is dissapointing because Sack Boy is a pretty cool character and i loved the customization options. It was either the controls or just the looseness of the gameplay, but it rubbed me the wrong way, and while i'd probably buy it if I had a PS3, it isnt a game that makes me want a PS3.  
    @FrEeZe said:
    " @AgentJ: It's people like you who didn't buy the PS3 in it's first year and instead complained about the price that made Sony cut corners to try and reduce the price so that they can appease you. But now you won't purchase the system because it has no BC.   I'm sorry Sony hasn't decided to just mail you a free PS3 yet, you just keep waiting until that happens. "
    Of course I complained. 600 dollars is way too much. However, I've been lobbying for BC since the beginning, and was pissed when they stopped including it. As it is, the PS3 doesn't have enough games I want to be worth it to me by itself, but with the playstation and PS2 libraries, it is certainly worth it. 
    Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pinkshley1

I have been holding off buying a PS3 due to its lack of games and the price. I already have a 360. However, I will probably get the new $300 dollar slim model because it is also a blue ray player, and most blue ray players are at least $250 anyway. Plus the PS3 is getting MAG, which is flippin amazing.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Time_Lord

I have a PS3 that has the BC and do you know what I use it for Persona 4 that's it.

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#28  Edited By Valkyr
    @MB said:
    " I agree with Diamond. $199 is what I think the low-end SKU's for consoles should be at, with $150 being the price where I buy it no matter how little interest I have in it. "
    The problem with the PS3 is that there is no "low-end" SKU, all of them have an HDD, wi-fi and bluetooth, if only Sony had told developers not to add mandatory installs they could release a 199 HDDless PS3. A few months ago we didn't know if the price cut was going to be this year or if it was a 50 o 100 bucks cut, it ended up being this year and the ps3 is now 299, please stop asking, 299 is an awesome price for an awesome platform, the console that is now a bit overpriced is the Wii.
    Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Guardian

Ok, this shit is ridiculous. First people bitch about the price being too high. Then when it lowers people bitch about no BC. There are loads of great PS3 games, so you won't be spending much time playing a PS2 game. If you're still thinking about PS2 games 3 years into this new generation, then just get a PS2 and quit bitching because BC isn't going to happen. Ever. 

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By m1k3
    @Valkyr said:
    " @MB said:
    The problem with the PS3 is that there is no "low-end" SKU, all of them have an HDD, wi-fi and bluetooth, if only Sony had told developers not to add mandatory installs they could release a 199 HDDless PS3. A few months ago we didn't know if the price cut was going to be this year or if it was a 50 o 100 bucks cut, it ended up being this year and the ps3 is now 299, please stop asking, 299 is an awesome price for an awesome platform, the console that is now a bit overpriced is the Wii. "
    There are games that dont do mandatory installs. And its not like an HDD for the ps3 is expensive, a 120gb HDD for the ps3 is around $60 while for the 360, MS is asking $150 for their 120gb. I remember paying like $500 for my elite and $600 for my ps3 both worth it.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgentJ
    @Guardian said:
    " Ok, this shit is ridiculous. First people bitch about the price being too high. Then when it lowers people bitch about no BC. There are loads of great PS3 games, so you won't be spending much time playing a PS2 game. If you're still thinking about PS2 games 3 years into this new generation, then just get a PS2 and quit bitching because BC isn't going to happen. Ever.  "
    That's exactly why I got one, because I've given up expecting BC. There are plenty of good games for the PS3, but I already have most of them for the 360, so my motivation for getting a PS3 is pretty low. I don't understand what you are trying to say about "playing PS2 games 3 years into the new generation", as games dont necessairily get better with the technology. Lets compare what I want and have for the PS and PS2 with what I want and have for the PS3: 

PS3: 
    Metal Gear Solid 4 
    Valkyria Chronicles 
    Uncharted/Uncharted 2 
    the Ninja Gaiden remakes 
    MAYBE GT5  
    Kingdom Hearts 3????? 
    Trico

PS2: 
     Final Fantasy XII 
    GT4 
    Tekken Tag Tournament 
    Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 
    Kingdom Hearts 2  
    Odin Sphere 
    Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

Kingdom Hearts 
    Final Fantasy X 
    Sly Cooper 1-3 
    Ico 
    Shadow of the Collosus 
    Arcana Heart 
    Valkyrie Profile 1-2 
    Xenosaga Trilogy 
    Persona 3-4 
    Suikoden 3 and 5 
    Ar Tonelico II 

PS1: 
    Parasite Eve 1 and 2 
    Lunar 2 Eternal Blue 

Vagrant Story 
    Final Fantasy VII-IX 
    Suikoden 2 

I think that the PS/PS2 list kind of dwarfs the PS3 list, especially considering that we know of most of the games coming out for it for the next 1-2 years. 
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AgentJ
    @m1k3 said:
    " @Valkyr said:
    " @MB said:
    The problem with the PS3 is that there is no "low-end" SKU, all of them have an HDD, wi-fi and bluetooth, if only Sony had told developers not to add mandatory installs they could release a 199 HDDless PS3. A few months ago we didn't know if the price cut was going to be this year or if it was a 50 o 100 bucks cut, it ended up being this year and the ps3 is now 299, please stop asking, 299 is an awesome price for an awesome platform, the console that is now a bit overpriced is the Wii. "
    There are games that dont do mandatory installs. And its not like an HDD for the ps3 is expensive, a 120gb HDD for the ps3 is around $60 while for the 360, MS is asking $150 for their 120gb. I remember paying like $500 for my elite and $600 for my ps3 both worth it. "
    Luckily Circuit city had a great deal on 360s last christmas, so I was able to get a arcade 360 with an extra controller and 20 gb hdd for 200 dollars. 
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By bacongames

It very much is the sweetspot.  That is a very reasonable price for any console and is a legitimately competitive one.  Considering you also get a Blu-Ray player, it's a pretty good deal.

The issue I have and the reason I was reluctant to buy any console this generation (and why I'm primarily a PC gamer) is the cost of games these days.  $60 for new games?  Eff that jazz.  The PC is the only place where a consumer can get variable pricing on games.  Hell I've gotten hundreds of hours of entertainment out of number of games I can get for a full priced game these days.  Sure let's say I get a $299 PS3, but I could end up paying double that in games alone.  Now this does come from a kid without disposable income as of yet. 

And I'm REALLY jonesin' for a PS3 because of the exclusives it has and not just PS3 exclusives but games I can't get on the PC.  It's a shame that when you've committed to a platform, financially you gotta stay that way sometimes because I already payed near a grand for a machine that is very much a capable gaming machine.  Oh well.  I guess I'll wait 'till next year.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Diamond said:
    " I think the sweet spot for all consoles is about $150.  That's where consoles get the majority of their sales.  You can see why this will be a long generation.   I'm a hardcore gamer, to me PS3 was worth it at $600 when I bought it.  A lot of people aren't willing to do that sort of thing.  I'm definitely still more into console gaming even after getting this PC.  The exclusive games just aren't there on PC anymore. "
    That.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

Well people can't complain about the price anymore. For $300 you're getting a PS3 AND the best Blu-ray player on the market.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgentJ
    @Tuffgong said:
    " It very much is the sweetspot.  That is a very reasonable price for any console and is a legitimately competitive one.  Considering you also get a Blu-Ray player, it's a pretty good deal.  The issue I have and the reason I was reluctant to buy any console this generation (and why I'm primarily a PC gamer) is the cost of games these days.  $60 for new games?  Eff that jazz.  The PC is the only place where a consumer can get variable pricing on games.  Hell I've gotten hundreds of hours of entertainment out of number of games I can get for a full priced game these days.  Sure let's say I get a $299 PS3, but I could end up paying double that in games alone.  Now this does come from a kid without disposable income as of yet.   And I'm REALLY jonesin' for a PS3 because of the exclusives it has and not just PS3 exclusives but games I can't get on the PC.  It's a shame that when you've committed to a platform, financially you gotta stay that way sometimes because I already payed near a grand for a machine that is very much a capable gaming machine.  Oh well.  I guess I'll wait 'till next year. "
    Hrm, maybe if I cared about the Blu Ray player I wouldn't care so much about the BC. Really though, I have no desire to go buy all my movies again, and the upgrade it gives to picture quality just isn't really a big deal to me. It needs games for me to want it. PS and PS2 have plenty of games. it seems like such a simple thing to add.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AgentJ
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Well people can't complain about the price anymore. For $300 you're getting a PS3 AND the best Blu-ray player on the market. "
    You do realize for someone that doesn't want to go out and buy all his movies again, that isn't really a benefit? I'm only saying that I'm waiting until the PS3 catches up in the two areas it's lagging behind its competition in. Is that too much to ask?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @AgentJ said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " Well people can't complain about the price anymore. For $300 you're getting a PS3 AND the best Blu-ray player on the market. "
    You do realize for someone that doesn't want to go out and buy all his movies again, that isn't really a benefit? I'm only saying that I'm waiting until the PS3 catches up in the two areas it's lagging behind its competition in. Is that too much to ask? "
    You don't have to go and rebuy them... It is a DVD player too. It's a great starting pont for people to start getting into Blu-ray and when you do, (most people do) then you'll even want to go out and buy some of those classics. Also what are those two areas? BC is non existent on the 360 and what else?
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By calidan777
    @LiquidPrince: Does the PS3 do DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD?Just wandering because if it doesn't then it's not the best Blu-ray option available.
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By KamasamaK
    @AgentJ said:
    " I think that the PS/PS2 list kind of dwarfs the PS3 list. "
    Most definitely (at least my lists), but how they compare is not particularly important since it's not a one or the other choice. And since all PS3s can play PS1 games it's a bit disingenuous to use them in an opposing list.

@AgentJ said:
    " especially considering that we know of most of the games coming out for it for the next 1-2 years.  "
    Sure about that?
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @calidan777 said:
    " @LiquidPrince: Does the PS3 do DTS Master Audio or Dolby True HD?Just wandering because if it doesn't then it's not the best Blu-ray option available. "
    Both.
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By calidan777
    @Video_Game_King: How do you know which version of FFXIII is the "better one"?As far as I could tell from the trailers they've shown both the PS3 and Xbox360 versions look IDENTICAL.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AgentJ
    @LiquidPrince said:

" @AgentJ said:

" @LiquidPrince said:
    You do realize for someone that doesn't want to go out and buy all his movies again, that isn't really a benefit? I'm only saying that I'm waiting until the PS3 catches up in the two areas it's lagging behind its competition in. Is that too much to ask? "
    You don't have to go and rebuy them... It is a DVD player too. It's a great starting pont for people to start getting into Blu-ray and when you do, (most people do) then you'll even want to go out and buy some of those classics. Also what are those two areas? BC is non existent on the 360 and what else? "
    That's great, but I just have no desire to buy movies AGAIN for 20-30 bucks a pop (that is the going rate isn't it?). On a college salary(and a small one at that, on top of paying tuition), that's just too much, especially when I'm behind on buying new games. 
    Thats funny, I've got 12 XBOX games, and all of them play fine on the 360. The other thing was a plethora of current gen exclusives that I care about. More of a personal thing I guess, but there aren't enough games just for the PS3 that are worth getting a new system, IMO. I listed those earlier.  
    @Kamasama said:

" @AgentJ said:

" I think that the PS/PS2 list kind of dwarfs the PS3 list. "
    Most definitely (at least my lists), but how they compare is not particularly important since it's not a one or the other choice. And since all PS3s can play PS1 games it's a bit disingenuous to use them in an opposing list.

@AgentJ said:
    " especially considering that we know of most of the games coming out for it for the next 1-2 years.  "
    Sure about that? "
    I didn't realize it could play PS1 games. I assumed that was part of the removal of BC. However, that still leaves a whole lot of PS2 games, by far the largest part of that list 
    Note that I said "most" of the games coming out in the next 1-2 years. after all, what is coming out between now and march that we didn't know about at the beginning of the year? There will be some announcements, but most were shown a while ago. 
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @calidan777 said:
    " @Video_Game_King: How do you know which version of FFXIII is the "better one"?As far as I could tell from the trailers they've shown both the PS3 and Xbox360 versions look IDENTICAL. "
    I'm not a fan of switching discs, and Square isn't helping (remember how Lost Odyssey came with only one disc holder thing instead of the much more logical two?).
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By calidan777
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By calidan777
    @LiquidPrince: Awesome,thanks for answering that is something that I've been wondering for a while as my amp doesn't support those formats.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AgentJ
    @calidan777 said:
    " Ok people,you can't use the old "it's a great value because it has a Blu-ray player" line anymore,not when Wal-Mart is selling Blu-ray players for $98.That line worked when they were like $1000,but not any more. "
    Hrm, if that is the case, it almost seems like if I was really interested in Blu Ray movies (which I absolutely am not) and wanted to play PS2 games, I'd just skip the PS3. Anyways, it's just not worth it to me. I respect that Liquid Prince and others found it worthwhile, but I don't see it so. 
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By calidan777
    @Video_Game_King: That was messed up how they had all the discs just kinda thrown into the game box on Lost Odyssey,lol
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @calidan777 said:
    " @Video_Game_King: That was messed up how they had all the discs just kinda thrown into the game box on Lost Odyssey,lol "
    The worst part was that they kept the fourth disc in a crappy paper sleeve. The only thing that could have topped that would be leaving it in there without support, the only justification being a note saying, "Hey, you're gonna have one disc in the 360, anyway, so..."
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AgentJ
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @calidan777 said:
    " @Video_Game_King: That was messed up how they had all the discs just kinda thrown into the game box on Lost Odyssey,lol "
    The worst part was that they kept the fourth disc in a crappy paper sleeve. The only thing that could have topped that would be leaving it in there without support, the only justification being a note saying, "Hey, you're gonna have one disc in the 360, anyway, so..." "
    I accept the multiple disc arguement as a valid one. I guess I'm lucky enough not to have bought a multiple disc game yet. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.