Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

is my ps3 busted?

Jameson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jameson

working fine up until a few days ago...when i turn it on it takes a good ten seconds before anything comes up on the screen, used to take about one second. When the ribbon blowing in the wind comes up it just stops there. Nothing loads just the dumbass ribbon. So I figure its broken, I have the warranty, but guess I'd ask for some suggestions here first. any?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Have you tried yelling at it? If that doesn't work, try swearing at it.

LiveOrDie1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By LiveOrDie1212

contact Sony and ask for repair. you said you still have your warrante so there's nothing to worry about.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

Try holding down the power button for 8 seconds when turning it on, if that doesnt work - hold it for 8 seconds once it is actually on

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By BawlZINmotion

If the screen stays black it could just be needing a display reset, but it sounds like the OS tries to load and fails. While I don't know off hand, I believe there is way to format your entire system and reinstall the OS. I'd advise you to contact Sony for instructions, though this honestly doesn't sound like a hardware failure from that you've written. Unless it's HDD related. Either way I'm sure you could do everything yourself.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NukeGoBoom

I put my HDMI out and back in once and it helped.If its no a cable problem then you probably just accidently turned it off during a Save which destroys the system.

Jameson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Jameson

yeah I think I did hit the power switch on the back during a save (I can't even remember why) but my aswell go with the warranty.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MeierTheRed

Could be a Harddisk problem like bad or damaged sectors. If you have a 2.5 Sata drive around you could try popping that in, and install the new firmware and see if it boots up fine with that drive.

GreatFunStuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GreatFunStuff

NEVER flip the switch in the back. Only press it once. When you first plug your ps3 in after taking it out of the box. After that... never again. Only use the touch-sensitive power icon on the front right.
    Everytime you flip that switch in the back, you're shortening your ps3's life span.

zigaroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By zigaroo
    GreatFunStuff said:
    "NEVER flip the switch in the back. Only press it once. When you first plug your ps3 in after taking it out of the box. After that... never again. Only use the touch-sensitive power icon on the front right.Everytime you flip that switch in the back, you're shortening your ps3's life span."
    This is confusing. I think you meant to say to never use the switch in the back as a means of powering your PS3 down while it's on. It does harm the components, mainly the HDD, when doing so. The same goes with forcing your PC to turn off via the Power Button instead of through Windows.

On the contrary, you can flip the switch in the back when the system is already off which will not harm it. An example to do this is in conjunction of removing the power cord when lightning is in the area or away on a trip.

Jameson said:
    "

working fine up until a few days ago...when i turn it on it takes a good ten seconds before anything comes up on the screen, used to take about one second. When the ribbon blowing in the wind comes up it just stops there. Nothing loads just the dumbass ribbon. So I figure its broken, I have the warranty, but guess I'd ask for some suggestions here first. any?

"
    You should call up Sony and see what they suggest instead of diving into the warranty boat. You may be able to work around the problem by changing the firmware.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ninjakiller
    TooWalrus said:
    "Have you tried yelling at it? If that doesn't work, try swearing at it."

Crying helps too...have you tried yelling at it then bursting into tears?
    regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By regularassmilk
    TooWalrus said:
    "Have you tried yelling at it? If that doesn't work, try swearing at it."
    And if that doesn't work tell it its a dirty whore.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By TheHBK

Did you have sex with it?

LeonKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LeonKaiser

If you do send it in for repairs (I have had to do it once myself only because of a single occurrence of a disc ejection problem) it will be back within a week. Honestly I loved how fast it was repaired and sent back, although just to make sure, if you Can get it to load Copy all of your saves onto a thumb drive, since they may send you a brand new PS3 instead of repairing it.

Sounds like a minor freezing issue to me.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By get2sammyb
    GreatFunStuff said:
    "NEVER flip the switch in the back. Only press it once. When you first plug your ps3 in after taking it out of the box. After that... never again. Only use the touch-sensitive power icon on the front right.Everytime you flip that switch in the back, you're shortening your ps3's life span."
    It's fine to flip the switch on the back if the system is already powered down (i.e. red light). But yes - you are correct. If the system is on (green light) -- NEVER turn it off with the switch on the back.
    Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hitchenson

My PS3 freezes like a bitch, like all the time. Tips pl0x? :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.