Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Need Advice: PS3 Worth it for me?

Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Evil_Alaska

With the PS3 Slim finally officially announced along with the price drop I now have moderate interest in the console. The issue is I don't know if I want to break down and get one.

I don't care about Blu Ray and the only PS3 exclusives I have interest in are Killzone 2, Flower, Fat Princess, MAG, ModNation Racers, Warhawk and the Ratchet and Clank series.

In your minds is this list enough to make the PS3 worth it?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

It's worth it if you don't own a 360.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By FrankCanada97

So you really have no interest in Uncharted? Anyways, if you really want to go for it. The PS3 has some really solid exclusives. But, in the end it's all your decision.

Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Evil_Alaska

Have a 360, no interest in Uncharted or Metal Gear or LBP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@EvilHaole said:
    " Have a 360, no interest in Uncharted or Metal Gear or LBP. "
    This really depends on you, if you want those games bad enough, then sure, it's a great console and I would purchase one just for Killzone.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    @EvilHaole: Since you own a 360, I would just stick with it.  I got a PS3 after having a 360 and I barley play my PS3.  Don't get me wrong, PS3 is kick ass but, all my friends have 360s.
    Hairydutchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Hairydutchman

Of course it is worth it, it's a great console.

And you will care about bluray when you've watched a few movies (or Planet Earth).

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By Atlas

Not wishing to steal the OP's thunder, but I'm having the same debate within myself as to whether I can justify it. I already have a 360, am not hugely interested in Blu-Ray, and have a deep seated dislike for Sony (dating back to my Nintendo fanboy days). However, I did recently make a list of 20 games that I would want to own for the system, and I think 20 games is enough for anyone to buy a console. I did really hope for B/C though, because the only Playstation 2 in our house is the one my sister brought back from university. She said she might not be taking back, so I bought a bunch of games for it, but if she does, I've got like 10 games and nothing to do with them.   

Thoughts?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By kashif1

watch planet earth in bluray and then tell me that you dont care about it
    Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Evil_Alaska

@Atlas If I had interest in 20 games I would totally get it. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By penguindust

I bought a PS3 when I only had interest in one game (Resistance) but the promise of the future is what sold me.  I've grown to love the console and use it extensively as both a media player (Blu-Ray, DVD, & Streaming) and a gaming device.  By comparison, I only use my 360 for games and while I love it too, I am deathly afraid it will break again if I leave it on for too long.  There are a whole lot of good games for the system and more new ones coming all the time.  I think it is definitely worth the new $300 USD price tag if you have the money. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By Willy105

If you already have one HD console, having another one is just showing off. They are both so similar that you only need one.

vorsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vorsic

That's a good number of  of games. If you are willing to spend the money then sure. I don't know what kind of games you like but you are bound to run into more exclusives that you want.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    @Atlas: Sounds like a future PS3 owner to me.
    @EvilHaole: If I were you, I'd go pick up a slim. The price is right and there are plenty of games to play and look forward too.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Willy105 said:

" If you already have one HD console, having another one is just showing off. They are both so similar that you only need one. "

That's idiotic.  PS3 and 360 both have plenty of awesome exclusives.

I'd recommend a PS3 to any gamer.  The buy order should go : 360 -> PS3 -> Wii -> high end PC (which is last because of the cost)
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Willy105 said:
    " If you already have one HD console, having another one is just showing off. They are both so similar that you only need one. "  
       Yeah of course buying another console so you can buy some of it's 25+ good exclusive games is clearly just for show.

@kashif1 said:

" watch planet earth in bluray and then tell me that you dont care about it "

He probably just has an SDTV or something. 

And, yes, you should buy one. 

And how do you not care about Uncharted, LBP, MGS??
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake

Just to clarify something, I know they dropped the price on the existing PS3 (by how much would be nice to know) but are they also gonna price the Slim around the same?

Edit: There's a good few games now to warrant a purchase of a PS3 now so if you don't have a 360 I think you should get one. As far as I know, Persona 5 will more than likely be a PS3 exclusive anyway (whether or not you like Persona I don't know but I sure do).

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#18  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @eroticfishcake: Though the PS3 fat probably costs more to make than the slim, why would anyone buy a normal PS3 now that the slim is annoucned unless the fat is cheaper? Buy I don't see the fat going to $250, that would be crazy.
    Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Karmum
    @eroticfishcake:
    PS3 slim prices going as followed:  $299/€299/£249/¥29980. I put that because I have no idea where you live. If you live in America, the preexisting models have been dropped $100 each. 80GB will run at $299, the Slim will run at $299, and the 160GB will run at $399. The 160GB model comes with the original Uncharted.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Get it for persona 5.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Karmum:@SJSchmidt93: I live in Ireland so that would mean €299 for a slim. Looks like I just need to wait a little bit longer for some money to roll in. Considering what it is now, that's a good bargain. Cheers. I'll be sure to pick one up.
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By choffy21

One of the best responses I've ever heard on a question like this totally applies here:

If you need us to decide for you, then you really don't want one.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By JoelTGM

Just go and buy one already, it's not that much money; $100 here $200 there... money is thrown around all the time, and you keep earning more back.  The online is free so there's no worries that it's wasting money as time goes by.  I got a PS3 because I knew I'd get one eventually, so I might as well do it and enjoy all that the PS3 has to offer.  I ended up paying way more for my 360 with xbox live, xbox 360 memory units, an elite with the 120 gb hard drive, and all the repair costs... PS3 was just one price, then I bought a 320gb 7200rpm harddrive for $100, when microsoft's 120gb is $150... I love my PS3.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Diamond said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    That's idiotic.  PS3 and 360 both have plenty of awesome exclusives.  I'd recommend a PS3 to any gamer. "
    Yes, but in this case do you think it's worth it just for those games? He doesn't seem interested in LBP, MGS4, Uncharted series, Valkyria Chronicles, MotorStorm series, Gran Turismo series, God of War series, Heavy Rain, Resistance series, The Last Guardian, inFamous, Hot Shots Golf series,  Blu-ray movies, and I'll stop there since we get the point.

I'm not sure, but around 10 games seems about enough for a PS3 at its new price.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By penguindust
    @Kamasama:  I not sure how much anyone is ever really interested in a game they have no access to.  On the other hand, once the entire library becomes available, I think people open up and become more willing to try games they may have overlooked in the past.  Maybe he's not interested in some of those titles now, but that's because he can't play them.  If he was to get a PS3, he might try them or the demo and discover that they are really fun.  I personally wasn't all that hyped for InFamous until I played the demo. 
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By KamasamaK
    @PenguinDust: That's true. His collection could grow with those games and ones that aren't announced yet that he may be interested in some time later, not to mention some of the high-profile upcoming games we know very little about, like Agent.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e
    deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is enough of a list to warrant purchasing a PS3.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JJOR64
    @dcpc10 said:
    " @JJOR64 said:
    " @EvilHaole: Since you own a 360, I would just stick with it.  I got a PS3 after having a 360 and I barley play my PS3.  Don't get me wrong, PS3 is kick ass but, all my friends have 360s. "
    So what you mean't was ''Get the PS3 if you have a friend using it.''? Either way, I think the price drop is gonna get alot more consumers for Sony so theres a high chance that your friends are gonna get a PS3 for blu-ray atleast (DVDs aren't gonna be around forever). "
    I'm just suggesting to get one so you could play with your friends.  None of my friends have a PS3 and that is probably why I don't play it much.  I love playing games online with my friends, it's more enjoyable then playing with some stranger.
    Evil_Alaska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Evil_Alaska

Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated. 

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KazHirai

The Playstation 3 Entertainment System is a viable solution for anyone that has electricity. 
    -Kaz Hirai CEO of Sony Entertainment Japan    
    ryno9881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By ryno9881

god of war, infamous, final fantasy IV, and Final fantasy XIII because it will look a hell of a lot better, and shatter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.