Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

New Playstation.com trophies = or =/= GB system support?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By tebbit

So they've updated the trophies (yes PeesforFees I know i've posted this already - but that was BEFORE!). 
    SO, can Giant Bomb now access trophy information and incorporate it into their site a'la achievements and steam achievements etc? 

Also, this new, but still kinda ugly PSN ID (read: Gamertag)  
    It says on the site: 

"By sharing your portable ID, other users will have access to your PlayStation®Network Online ID and may contact you over the PlayStation®Network."

UPDATE: I've found that I can compare my trophies to people who are not in my friends list, so surely this means that Giant Bomb should be able to access my trophies just as I can access anyone elses trophies, right? 

You also don't have to be signed in to PSN to see these trophies. Which leads me even further to believe that they will be able to add them. For example, here is a link to my trophies: http://profiles.us.playstation.com/playstation/psn/visit/profiles/Tebbit    
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SamStrife

Its not a full blown API by the looks of it, so unfourtunatly not :(
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tebbit
    @SamStrife:
    What happens if you click on my ID? apparently it should take you to my trophies, I can't tell because it automatically logs me in.
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They have not said that they have an API available now, so it will probably not lead to trophy support on Giant Bomb. However, Microsoft are very quiet about their API, they don't like to shout about it, so perhaps Sony have implemented an API, and are being quiet about it, like microsoft.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tebbit
    @MattyFTM: It seems to me like this should totally work. For example, if you click on my ID or the link I posted, it should take you to my public profile, from which you can see my total trophies, as well as individual games trophies, when I got them, etc. What does an API do that this doesn't? 
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SamStrife

Well thats all very site specific, and it's Sony's own API so they can obviously use it.  If they don't want other sites to use it though, then they won't publicilly release it...
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tebbit
    @SamStrife said:
    "Well thats all very site specific, and it's Sony's own API so they can obviously use it.  If they don't want other sites to use it though, then they won't publicilly release it... "

I have no idea what API's do, or how they work, but whats to stop GB from pulling data from these now-public profiles? Before you had to be signed into PSN to access that information, and I don't think you could see other peoples trophy data if they weren't in your friends list.
    SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SamStrife

Lol I can't really API's...Imagining the Sony one, it would be information the site has, linked directly to the PSN, so that things like tropheys, friends, login times etc can be linked to websites with up to the minute updates...if you get me.  Basically everything the official Sony site does now uses the PSN's API, but seen as Sony won't let other sites use it, they can't do everything that the official site does.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tebbit
    @SamStrife: I gotcha. My figuring is, even without an API, the trophy data is completely public now, GB could somehow nom up this data? I mean, Steam doesn't have an official API (at least to my knowlege) but they can get the steam achievements because they are open and available for anyone.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

I'm sure it's something the GiantBomb guys are keeping a very close eye on. The reassuring thing is that Sony seem interested in building on the trophy system so if we, as the Playstation community, make enough noise about an API, I'm sure they'll develop one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.