Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 Recommendations, anyone?

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Dimsey

Don't know if this is the right place for it, but it'll do I guess? Heres the scoop. For Christmas I know I'll be getting a PS3. Which is cool.
    But initally I won't have any games for it, which isn't neat. So I'll have to stock up on the games myself.

At the moment the only given is LittleBigPlanet, I've been interested since it was announced and it's pretty much the only game that tempted me to rush out and buy a PS3.
    Not that there aren't other good games on the PS3, it just.. Thats the one I feel is a definate must play. In all fairness it's also one of the only ones I actually know about, as I haven't really followed PS3 releases too well considering I didn't think I'd be getting one in the near future.

So LBP.

I'll also likely get Uncharted: Drakes Fortune. It looks neat.

But what else? I'm excluding multiplatform games, because I've already got a 360 and given the choice I'll probably get the game for that.
    Nothing to do with the PS3 or anything, just most my friends play on the 360 so it's probably easier I stick to exclusives.

I've pondered Metal Gear Solid 4 but I've only played maybe half of MGS 2 and nothing of any of the other titles, so I fear the story might be lost on me.

And... Well.. I guess that's it.

I'm open too all genres, so lets hear it.

PS - Sorry for rambling/walloftext, it's just how I roll. Heh.

EvilPirateJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By EvilPirateJohn

You already mentioned Uncharted, which is a must buy.  The game in incredible.

As for MGS4, the story is confusing no matter what.  Even if you have played the previous games, it's still confusing.  Bottom line, MGS4 is a very good game and you should play it once you get your PS3.  However, let me warn you, this game has many hours of cutscenes, and they are long. 

The other obvious 2 are Resistance 1 and 2.  Both are solid and there should be a huge online community for part 2.

Heavenly Sword is like a not as good God of War.  Still a fun game.

Many people will tell you Ratchet and Clank, although I didn't care for it.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma is also great, but very challenging even on the easiest level.

Hope this helps.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By chililili

MGS4 is quite nice, the database which is a free downloable at the PSN can bring you up to speed on the story, but honestly I played as much as you did (nothing) and still got 99% of the story, you just know your MGS from osmosis and video game culture in general.

Resistance 2 looks nice, but I won't be picking it up because I do not have lots of money and I think Killzone 2 will be better.

I recommend getting Valkyria Chronicles if you like RPGs, Disgaea if you like super long ones. Folklore is OK.

I can only recommend SOCOM if you find the bundle, then when you put the broken game in your drive you can fool youself to thinking you only paid 30 dollars for it and 30 dollars for the superb headset. Actually I'm exaggearting the game is fun to play right now if you have friends or if you go to an infinite respawn game and just kill everything! Hopefully patch 1.3 will come out and give it good features. Seriously SOCOM seems like it has potential to become a good game but it just suffers from a bad online match-up and idiotic developers that did not put very basic features into it.

Get Ratchet and Clank its very good and cheap (30 dollars). Heavenly Sword is supposed to be OK, pick up the demo if you are not sure, but I have personally not played it.

Infamous is supposed to be the next big new IP on March so you might wanna look at that.

I can't think of any more exclusives which I hold any interest in.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#4  Edited By Dimsey

- I like cinematics a bunch, so the length of the cutscenes in MGS4 won't be a deterant. I'll likely get it.
    - Heavenly Sword does look okay, will try the demo when I get the PS3.
    - Valkyria Chronicles looks pretty sweet, as does Disgaea. Will look into them!
    - I'll keep my eye on SOCOM, it looks okay but I will wait to see if it's problems get ironed out before I throw down the cash.
    - Previous Ratchet and Clank games I didn't really find fun, but I might give it a rent at least.
    -Will keep my eyes on Infamous, does look kind of cool.
    -I may get Resistance 2 for the Multiplayer. Looks cool.

Thanks for the recommendations.
    I've probably got enough for now but if anyone else has more, I'm all ears.

EvilPirateJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilPirateJohn
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By NinjaHunter

Plus isn't there a demo of MGS4 out now? So you can get a taste if your not sure.  I do recommend at least reading up on the story if you are going to play MGS4, if you don't feel like playing the previous games. It will add to the experience.

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VirtuaXav

Well I got a ps3 for Xmas too, only thing is I got it about a month early =P Haha.

Anyway so far I only have Resistance 2 and Assassin's Creed. Both are fantastic! The single player in Resistance 2 is great with some sweet graphics to top it off, same thing with Assassin's Creed. Haven't tried Resistance 2's multiplayer yet (too scared of getting pwned coz I'm shit a FPS's, haha). But from the reviews I've heard, its multiplayer kicks ass! Get onto it bro!

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

Get PixelJunk Monsters...it's one of the best games on the system.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By get2sammyb

Retail games: Resistance 2, Ratchet & Clank: ToD, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted.

PSN games: Wipeout HD, Tekken 5, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Quest For Booty.

regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By regularassmilk

Uncharted
    MGS4
    Motorstorm
    Ratchet and Clank

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LiquidPrince

Prince of Persia
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Little Big Planet
    Heavenly Sword
    Assassin's Creed

flakhoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By flakhoe

don't forget warhawk... even if the learning curve is a brickwall (they have a tutorial now)

Big_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Big_D

Burnout anyone!

Throne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Throne

Resistance 2. Great multi-player game, especially Co-op. :)

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gameboi

All of the above mentioned games are great, but I also greatly enjoyed Devil May Cry 4. Then again, I'm a fan of the series. That helps, or so I'm told.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Gameboi said:
    "All of the above mentioned games are great, but I also greatly enjoyed Devil May Cry 4. Then again, I'm a fan of the series. That helps, or so I'm told."
    Oh, how could I forget that game. It's in my top 5 favorite games. Game series wise.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hexpane

Valkyria Chronicles = PS3 GOTY

quite frankly I've had a 60gb for a few years now, and I only own like 10 PS3 BRD games.  I barely play any of them. Uncharted was great but was 6 hours.  GT5 prologue was not a game, didnt even have touring cars.  GTA4 i just dont like micromanaging friendships...  and many of the multiplatform games are just frankly way better on the PC (bioshock, fallout 3)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.