Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

4.2 million PS4's sold through December 28

• 88 results
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    No Caption Provided

Just announced at CES. Apparently this means the PS4 has sold more than the Wii U ltd sales? It's good to see both the PS4 and the Xbox One doing great in terms of sales so far.

No Caption Provided

Dawgs4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yesterday Microsoft announced there number as 3 million sold. So i guess that means PS4 is outselling XB1 by 40% right now. Damn that seems like a big gap right now, especially with Sony about to launch in Japan. On another note, seems Sony will easily hit their target of 5 million units by end of March. Congrats.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

@dawgs4life said:

Yesterday Microsoft announced there number as 3 million sold. So i guess that means PS4 is outselling XB1 by 40% right now. Damn that seems like a big gap right now, especially with Sony about to launch in Japan. On another note, seems Sony will easily hit their target of 5 million units by end of March. Congrats.

You also have to remember that PS4 launched in 54 territories and X1 only in 13. Not sure if those sales would make the difference though.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@dawgs4life said:

You also have to remember that PS4 launched in 54 territories and X1 only in 13.

But the territories the One did not launch are not that important for MS anyway. So they would never close the gap with these.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@xyzygy: That almost makes this even more impressive since they had the stock to accommodate all of those territories. Microsoft only launched in territories they knew they would sell in.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21 said:

@xyzygy: That almost makes this even more impressive since they had the stock to accommodate all of those territories. Microsoft only launched in territories they knew they would sell in.

Well, they kinda did. I've been hearing people claim the PS4 has been sold out way more than people have claimed the same for the Xbox One, so supply seems to be an actual issue for the former that could have impacted their potential sales.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Japan launch is going to be crazy. Okay so when do you guys think PS4 will over take WII U sales ? I say by March.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Darji

@jimmyfenix said:

Japan launch is going to be crazy. Okay so when do you guys think PS4 will over take WII U sales ? I say by March.

By end of November the Wii U has shipped 4.3 million. These 4.2 Million are sell troughs. So I guess now?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

@sammo21 said:

It is impressive that they had the stock, but how could we know how it would have went the same for the X1? I'm just saying that it's also something to keep in mind. A lot of EU countries didn't get the X1 yet. But like as I said who knows if that number would make a difference.

Either way, both consoles sold great and TBH the X1 is selling a shit ton better than I thought it would. All that bad press and the general attitude that Sony has gained from people (which IMO has only been gained from Microsoft's initial, now-corrected "mistakes", not from anything Sony has actually done) made me think it would barely scratch a million in the first month.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: I still can't believe Iwata still thinks he will have 9 million sales by March.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darji

@xyzygy: A lot of these countries give a shit about MS. Europe was always Sony Country except the UK of course. The biggest question would be what would the PS4 have sold if it were not this supply constraint.

@jimmyfenix Yeah That is one reason why Iwata needs to go. He has no clue about Nintendo's current situation.

edit: More PR stuff

TOKYO, Jan. 7, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. today announced that cumulative sales of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system have reached 4.2 million*1 as of December 28, 2013, demonstrating the explosive growth of the PS4 platform.

"The momentum of the PS4 system keeps getting stronger and we couldn't be more thrilled gamers worldwide are enjoying the incredibly immersive gaming experiences along with deep social capabilities and entertainment provided by our network," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "After a remarkable launch, we look forward to bringing even more exciting content and continuing to explore the power of the PS4 system by adding new features and services, including PlayStation Now, in 2014."

PS4 software sales remained strong through the holiday season with more than 9.7 million*2 copies sold in retail stores worldwide and through digital downloads on PlayStation®Store.

A few of the top selling games included Call of Duty®: Ghosts from Activision, Assassin's Creed®IV Black Flag™ from Ubisoft, Battlefield 4™ and FIFA 14 from Electronic Arts Inc., and Killzone™ Shadow Fall from Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS).

Many PS4 owners have quickly taken advantage of the features and benefits of the PlayStation®Plus (PS Plus) membership service.

Global PS Plus subscriptions have increased by more than 90% since the PS4 launch

*3. PS Plus members have access to the Instant Game Collection™ and can play the full versions of popular titles without a time limit and at no extra cost. Current games include Resogun™ from Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) and Contrast from Compulsion Games*4*5, followed by additional exciting titles in 2014.

PS4 gamers are actively sharing their gameplay experience through the PS4 system's unique sharing capabilities. To date, more than 1.7 million gameplay broadcasts have been streamed from PS4 systems*6 via video streaming platforms, Twitch and Ustream, totaling more than 55 million minutes.

According to Twitch, 20% of their broadcasters are PS4 owners

*7. Ustream is also reporting an average of 40 minutes of streaming per broadcaster*8. All these gameplay broadcast generate nearly 22 million*9 spectate sessions.

The PS4 system is now available in 53 countries and territories globally.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

Woah! They're way ahead of schedule. At this pace they'll have a 10+ millions-strong install base by Fall 2014.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Impressive for both companies. I have both systems and while right now I'm playin the X1 more I am much more excited for the future of playstation. Also I gotta say, over the holidays I went into plenty of gamestops and best buys. 90% of stores had X1s in stock and none had a single ps4. Considering their supply constraints Sonys numbers are very impressive

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These numbers are insane.

rangers517

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great news. I expect Sony to dominate worldwide. And before people say stuff like, "Why do you care how much these big corporations sell?" and stuff like that, it's a good thing for PS4 owners because when the PS4 gets its big lead, It will be much harder for MS to continue moneyhatting exclusives like Titanfall in the future.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By ManMadeGod

And only God knows what they are playing. Busted ass BF4 I suppose.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

@rangers517 said:

This is great news. I expect Sony to dominate worldwide. And before people say stuff like, "Why do you care how much these big corporations sell?" and stuff like that, it's a good thing for PS4 owners because when the PS4 gets its big lead, It will be much harder for MS to continue moneyhatting exclusives like Titanfall in the future.

The thing is though is that that is how MS will gain ground. That's the whole idea of competition - good for everyone because it forces innovation. PS3 was in a major 3rd place for the first few years of it's life until Sony started getting it's shit together and doing really cool things like getting a lot of new, unique exclusives and creating PS Plus. I expect that when (and I say when because I really feel like they'll be behind for at least the first half of this gen) MS realizes they're behind, they will be forced to do things like that to attract customers and everything will cycle again.

"All of this has happened before and will happen again" In the words of Battlestar Galactica :P

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@rangers517 said:

The thing is though is that that is how MS will gain ground. That's the whole idea of competition - good for everyone because it forces innovation. PS3 was in a major 3rd place for the first few years of it's life until Sony started getting it's shit together and doing really cool things like getting a lot of new, unique exclusives and creating PS Plus. I expect that when MS realizes they're behind, they will be forced to do things like that to attract customers and everything will cycle again.

"All of this has happened before and will happen again" In the words of Battlestar Galactica :P

That doesn't change the fact that it will be harder for them when the competition has a clear market lead.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was going to happen anyways but I can't help but laugh at how fast the PS4 eclipsed the Wii U numbers. Xbox One is not far behind either unless they already passed them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
    deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would love to know these figures in the spring, after Titanfall launches, if even that game doesn't bolster XB1 sales, I'd say that Sony has a pretty solid head-start.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@rangers517 said:

The thing is though is that that is how MS will gain ground. That's the whole idea of competition - good for everyone because it forces innovation. PS3 was in a major 3rd place for the first few years of it's life until Sony started getting it's shit together and doing really cool things like getting a lot of new, unique exclusives and creating PS Plus. I expect that when MS realizes they're behind, they will be forced to do things like that to attract customers and everything will cycle again.

That doesn't change the fact that it will be harder for them when the competition has a clear market lead.

Yeah it'll be harder, of course. Wasn't saying it wasn't gonna be. Just saying that from competition good things will come and make it more appealing, that is basic business knowledge.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yay! Let's all cheer for our faceless multinational corporations! Yay!

Enjoy your PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or Wii U. But stop sucking their dick. They aren't your friend. All they want is your money.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@xyzygy said:

Yeah it'll be harder, of course. Wasn't saying it wasn't gonna be. Just saying that from competition good things will come and make it more appealing, that is basic business knowledge.

Okay...? I thought you were directly replying to the person you quoted, not making a tangential point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
    deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are these numbers promising enough to claim that console gaming is not dead/dying anymore? If they keep selling this well, what does that mean for AAA games?

I think that at the very least, it shows us that consumers are still interested in non-mobile gaming and that the low Wii U sales were not an indication of consumer disinterest of consoles, rather just a disinterest in the Wii U.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:

Enjoy your PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or Wii U. But stop sucking their dick. They aren't your friend. All they want is your money.

QUOTES. Tell that to Darji. FO REALZ

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
    SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@l4wd0g said:

Do you regularly suck your friends dicks?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xyzygy

@fluxwavez said:

@xyzygy said:

Okay...? I thought you were directly replying to the person you quoted, not making a tangential point.

wat. I was replying to him. He said when the PS4 gets a big lead (which it already has and will), it'll be harder for MS to moneyhat things. Then I said that that is exactly the reason why they'll need to innovate instead of throw money on useless stuff like that cuz competition. What is there not to understand here lol

also wasn't a tangent, 3 lines of text lol

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

that's 4.2 million units.

Presumably these numbers are still only being limited by supply too, rather than demand running out, so these should keep adding up pretty quickly. Impressive stuff considering nobody has made a game for it yet.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

wat. I was replying to him. He said when the PS4 gets a big lead (which it already has and will), it'll be harder for MS to moneyhat things. Then I said that that is exactly the reason why they'll need to innovate instead of throw money on useless stuff like that cuz competition. What is there not to understand here lol

And what does them needing to innovate have to do with the point the poster was making about it being harder for them to moneyhat things, which was why he cares about how many units they sold?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By musubi

@l4wd0g: No kidding? Well gosh darn it they sure tricked me. Here I thought me and Jack were buddies.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xyzygy

@xyzygy said:

And what does them needing to innovate have to do with the point the poster was making about it being harder for them to moneyhat things, which was why he cares about how many units they sold?

OMG. OK. Right now MS gets a lot of garbage like timed DLC and exclusive multiplayer shooters and dumb TV channel exclusives etc etc. So when the PS4 has a big lead they will have to think outside of that box if they want to actually catch up. HOW IS THIS SO HARD

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

OMG. OK. Right now MS gets a lot of garbage like timed DLC and exclusive multiplayer shooters and dumb TV channel exclusives etc etc. So when the PS4 has a big lead they will have to think outside of that box if they want to actually catch up. HOW IS THIS SO HARD

It's not a hard thing to understand, but what I'm having trouble understanding is why you feel the need to bring it up as a direct reply to someone stating why they cared about the PS4's sales when they didn't mention what you're talking about at all.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never fails to amuse me the way sale number news almost instantly become a shit show.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

It's not a hard thing to understand, but what I'm having trouble understanding is why you feel the need to bring it up as a direct reply to someone stating why they cared about the PS4's sales when they didn't mention what you're talking about at all.

Why are you being so absolutely unnecessarily nit-picky over nothing at all?

He had just said something about the PS4 having a big lead, which I agreed to and which I said it will probably have for a lot of it's life. Then I referred back to what Sony did with the PS3 last gen and what MS should do this gen in order to not totally fail. Then I also agreed that they shouldn't be "moneyhatting" and will be harder for them to do it and I mentioned in a 3 line paragraph (which you for some reason called "tengential" and continued about how you don't know what I'm talking about and in effect going on a sort-of tangent yourself) about what they COULD be doing, instead of moneyhatting, to catch up to the PS4, which will have a big lead. Bringing it full circle. I don't know how else to explain this and didn't really think it required that much thought.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for both Sony and MS. Both of them made great products that deserve to sell well. I'm glad they both so quickly approached/passed Wii U sales numbers and am excited to see the PS4 sales numbers after they release in Japan.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dallas_Raines

It's great that both are doing so well, this means less shitty crossgen ports in the future.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

split gen, please.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:

Good for both Sony and MS. Both of them made great products that deserve to sell well. I'm glad they both so quickly approached/passed Wii U sales numbers and am excited to see the PS4 sales numbers after they release in Japan.

Hmm... do we know what the launch games are in Japan? Surely Killzone won't sell super well (It's Japan) and they're getting Knack for free. Are they getting some super awesome Japanese launch game that we should be jealous of?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Darji

@l4wd0g said:

Yeah all corporations are evil and only want to manipulate you..... All power the low income people...

I am sorry but I really love how Sony changed in the last year and they have a clear vision right now. Not only in terms of PS4 but as a company. You should just listen to the whole Keynote. Kaz did a great speech to show that Sony is back and that they are ready to fight and to "WOW" people again. And I love such companies. Do they want your money? Yeah sure they want but do they have evil intentions? I do not think so.

@xyzygy The Japan Lineup is really good: Yakuza, Dream Club Zero, Dynasty Warriors FFXIV Beta and so on. It is much better than the western lineup was for the west.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spraynardtatum

That's a huge number. It's a great console. I'm just waiting for some more games and some system updates. I'd like to see Sony really iterate on their UI this generation. They promised game suspension and I hope they get that working because that's going to be a great feature.

Also Gaikai and Vita TV please.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: Yeah it sounds better already. I would take that small lineup any day over the largely mediocre NA/EU list.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@darji: Yeah it sounds better already. I would take that small lineup any day over the largely mediocre NA/EU list.

Yeah me too. YAkuza Ishin alone would be a reason for me to buy a PS4. It is not that they wanted to delay the launch in Japan but with the Line up they had in the west this would not have moved Units. This lineup however will

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

But wait a minute. The internet's been telling me for the past several years that consoles are dying. Cou.... could the internet have been wrong?

Regardless, I'm glad to hear that the new console are doing well so far. I'm sure they still have a long way to go before they're considered financially successful, but these numbers are nice to see.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@l4wd0g said:

The reason this news is actually really good for us, is because it means that third parties can look at the install base on these machines and feel good about supporting them as soon as possible. After the Vita and the Wii U launched to tepid sales and consequently no support, I think this is a pretty good reason to be happy, because its most likely a good indication that these consoles won't stagnate in the same way the other two did.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Darji

@themanwithnoplan said:

But wait a minute. The internet's been telling me for the past several years that consoles are dying. Cou.... could the internet have been wrong?

Regardless, I'm glad to hear that the new console are doing well so far. I'm sure they still have a long way to go before they're considered financially successful, but these numbers are nice to see.

They are already. Sony said that they are making a small profit when each one of them buys a game. And Software sales already were 9.2 million. Also +90% PSN+ subscriptions as well.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Consoles are so dead guys.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By afabs515

@xyzygy said:

@afabs515 said:

Hmm... do we know what the launch games are in Japan? Surely Killzone won't sell super well (It's Japan) and they're getting Knack for free. Are they getting some super awesome Japanese launch game that we should be jealous of?

I don't know. Pretty sure there isn't but don't quote me on that. The way I see it, there really aren't too many must-have titles out over here. Killzone wasn't received super well, and don't even get me started on Knack. But I think a lot of people here went out and bought these consoles out of hype and boredom with the previous generation. So I don't think that there's gonna be millions of sales, but I'm fairly confident in saying that they will get past the 5 million mark really quickly.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@xyzygy said:

@dawgs4life said:

You also have to remember that PS4 launched in 54 territories and X1 only in 13. Not sure if those sales would make the difference though.

Xbox One's initial launch was in more markets than PS4's initial launch, and the latter still outsold them during their respective launch dates. People like to bring up the number of territories, as if Xbox One will make up that difference. Not every territory is the same, and many of them will not be competitive for Xbox One because of their late start.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great news, but yo some games would be better. I've practically 100%'ed ACIV and I want something neeeew!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#50  Edited By monkeyking1969

It will be a solid year before the worldwide vs. North American sales are worth look at for tends. Yet, I think we can say even now, that Colin Sebastian of Baird Research was WRONG.

In early/mid October Colin Sebastian was saying, "...While many forecasts still give an edge to Sony/PS4 in North America sales, we continue to expect similar or even slightly higher sales of Xbox One by the end of the launch window," Sebastian told investors."

He had reason for that, but his reason were based on neither Sony nor Microsoft keeping up with demand. Since both did a fairly good job keeping up with demand some of the indicators he looked at were wrong. I think it will turn out that PS4 will say a million or so ahead of Xbox One in North American and will accelerate that gap in Europe and Asia. The bright news is everyone is selling fairly well, so console game is very much alive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.