Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

4.2 million PS4's sold through December 28

• 88 results
    Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@darji said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

But wait a minute. The internet's been telling me for the past several years that consoles are dying. Cou.... could the internet have been wrong?

Regardless, I'm glad to hear that the new console are doing well so far. I'm sure they still have a long way to go before they're considered financially successful, but these numbers are nice to see.

They are already. Sony said that they are making a small profit when each one of them buys a game. And Software sales already were 9.2 million. Also +90% PSN+ subscriptions as well.

Well that's fantastic to hear!

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

@l4wd0g said:

Yay! Let's all cheer for our faceless multinational corporations! Yay!

Enjoy your PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or Wii U. But stop sucking their dick. They aren't your friend. All they want is your money.

I see nothing in this thread that could be perceived as "dicksucking." The OP Stated a fact, and the discussion that came after it was about how it will affect the industry. It didn't come off as fanboyish at all.

These systems selling well is good for consumers, it gives other companies a reason to make games for them.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@l4wd0g said:

Yay! Let's all cheer for our faceless multinational corporations! Yay!

Enjoy your PlayStation 4, Xbox One, or Wii U. But stop sucking their dick. They aren't your friend. All they want is your money.

Do you regularly suck your friends dicks?

I'm his friend and contest that yes he does

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By bigjeffrey

awesome news cannot wait to get one in 7 years.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I heard something about Microsoft numbers, where not numbers sold to consumers but to retailers?

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Xbox One sales are in for steep decline here very soon

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By meptron

I'm sure both consoles are selling as fast as they can make them, so i wouldn't use this info as a basis for comparison. But still, it's an impressive launch. Sony has done a great job getting lots of ps4 made and in consumer's hands this holiday.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AMyggen
    Kingbob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Kingbob

I just want them to release more PS4s into the stores, its annoying to have the cash and not a console to spend it on.

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

... and in this economy! </cliché>

fonkymucker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

10+ millions-strong install base by Fall 2014.

.....and grooowing. (For all my Flintstones Kidz)

epgpx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

When will they restock? I want to buy one but its sold out everywhere.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: If that´s the wording, then I guess I can believe that. In the end exclusives win out against bad PR.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DonPixel

This is great news for the industry, I like more the xbox ecosystem but this numbers are good nevertheless. Microsoft is gonna have to try harder, and that is a good thing.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

But wait a minute. The internet's been telling me for the past several years that consoles are dying. Cou.... could the internet have been wrong?

The internet, or bloggers posing as journalists?

These seem to be the same people that said that Angry Birds would change everything. Or the Wii about half a decade ago.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noizy said:

... and in this economy! </cliché>

thanks a lot oblamo

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themanwithnoplan said:

The internet, or bloggers posing as journalists?

These seem to be the same people that said that Angry Birds would change everything. Or the Wii about half a decade ago.

A little of both more than likely.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: corporations are not all evil, but they are all looking to make a profit. You have to understand that there would be no PlayStation 4 or Xbox One if it wasn't going to make Sony and Microsoft significant amounts of money. We can be excited we'll have more people to play with, but until we have games this is just company hype for the shareholders. It does nothing for us the consumer (unless you have stock in SNE or MSFT).

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

Take into the consideration of the year long hype, the big stage presentations and marketing, i myself find that Dayz and Starbound both selling close to a million copies each, both in early access, is far more impressive than console sale numbers.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@me3639 said:

Take into the consideration of the year long hype, the big stage presentations and marketing, i myself find that Dayz and Starbound both selling close to a million copies each, both in early access, is far more impressive than console sale numbers.

More impressive, absolutely, but not more important.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:

@darji: corporations are not all evil, but they are all looking to make a profit. You have to understand that there would be no PlayStation 4 or Xbox One if it wasn't going to make Sony and Microsoft significant amounts of money. We can be excited we'll have more people to play with, but until we have games this is just company hype for the shareholders. It does nothing for us the consumer (unless you have stock in SNE or MSFT).

AGain I like their vision. and yesterday KAz sold this vision brilliantly especially the last part.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@me3639 said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

These numbers seem pretty insane. It's great to see a strong start for the new console generation, maybe we will get those great games a bit sooner than before.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@l4wd0g said:

AGain I like their vision. and yesterday KAz sold this vision brilliantly especially the last part.

of course you like their version. It's called drinking the Kool-Aid.

Most things I read on the Internet and in newspapers are propaganda. Everyone from the 'New York Times' to Rupert Murdoch has a point of view and is putting forth their own propaganda. They're stuck with the facts as they are, but the way they interpret and frame them is wildly different.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:
    @darji said:

@l4wd0g said:

Most things I read on the Internet and in newspapers are propaganda. Everyone from the 'New York Times' to Rupert Murdoch has a point of view and is putting forth their own propaganda. They're stuck with the facts as they are, but the way they interpret and frame them is wildly different.

Visions are not propaganda but rather the way they want to go and follow. Look I know that many people only can think of corporations are evil but we should also try to see behind this "they just want to make money". Of course they want to make money but people at these big companies also have visions they want to see trough. And Sony for example or right now tries everything to please and to connect with customers. For example. If you look at the picture you can see house grin and smile while giving away these numbers. OR Yoshida being fun and interesting on twitter. That is why they are different from Nintendo or Microsoft right now. They try to connect and live with these people who love and buy their products. Right now they are on the top spot and they are not arrogant or anything like that. Quite the opposite they trying even harder because they see how it affects their company overall.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By l4wd0g

@darji said:

@l4wd0g said:
    @darji said:

@l4wd0g said:

Visions are not propaganda but rather the way they want to go and follow. Look I know that many people only can think of corporations are evil but we should also try to see behind this "they just want to make money". Of course they want to make money but people at these big companies also have visions they want to see trough. And Sony for example or right now tries everything to please and to connect with customers. For example. If you look at the picture you can see house grin and smile while giving away these numbers. OR Yoshida being fun and interesting on twitter. That is why they are different from Nintendo or Microsoft right now. They try to connect and live with these people who love and buy their products. Right now they are on the top spot and they are not arrogant or anything like that. Quite the opposite they trying even harder because they see how it affects their company overall.

That is the persona that they are projecting. How much of that is a controlled image created by their PR? The validity of that image has yet to be seen. And the end goal of that image they have made, is to sell us a product.

You said it yourself,

Sony for example or right now tries everything to please and to connect with customers. For example. If you look at the picture you can see house grin and smile while giving away these numbers. OR Yoshida being fun and interesting on twitter. That is why they are different from Nintendo or Microsoft right now. They try to connect and live with these people who love and buy their products. Right now they are on the top spot and they are not arrogant or anything like that. Quite the opposite they trying even harder because they see how it affects their company overall.

You believe what they're telling you. But really they want you to buy a PlayStation and feel good about buying the PlayStation. They want you to love the PlayStation brand. And you do. Now they want you to subscribe to PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now, continuing an annual subscription for that too. They want you to feel good about giving them your money year after year. When you view them as being evil, it's a lot harder to justify giving them money; however, when they smile and tweet nice things and make you feel special... well it's a little easier to give them what they want.

It's all PR at work As Edward Bernay, the father of PR said, "The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate the unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power. We are governed, our minds moulded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. In almost every act of our lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires that control the public mind."

Maybe the messaging is genuine, but I have my doubts.

If I sound like I am harping on Sony I apologize. It's Nintendo and Microsoft too. I mean, Larry Hryb's job is to paint Microsoft in a positive light. Both Microsoft and Nintendo are just as guilty.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm happy they keep selling more and more consoles - it's just too bad the PS4 has been out of stock basically since launch in my area and I've all but stopped caring about checking in if any store finally has new units.

Shortbreadtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Shortbreadtom

Console gaming is dead, mobile gaming is the future!

But seriously, this is good news for this generation of consoles.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g: Of course it is a lot of Pr but when you see an lets say Adam Boyes on Giantbomb for example you know that is also like that in real live. Sony's biggest strength right now PR wise is that they have many believable people in their rows. Yoshida, Boyes, Kaz, Cerny. They are all come over really genuine while the people at MS or Nintendo come over as fake and arrogant. Like Major Nelson with his fake smile or Mattricks before. Reggie with his whole character or Iwata totally out of the community game. They are just feeling fake to me.

Sony right now is listening and playing with their community. Look at the Banderas gif Yoshida did or Naughty Dog included in their GOTY video at the VGX. They are totally on a roll now and that is why they are so strong and people believe and praise everything Sony does right now. How much of it is calculated or real we do not know but at least we know that it is not all played and set up that is how they actually are.

Avatar image for hanshilpertshauser
    hanshilpertshauser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad thing is I work for Best Buy part time and Pretty much can assure you that the XBONE will catch up with PS4 sales only because it is the only available machine at the moment. The PS4 is going to be constrained until at least April which is cool... since there are really no games for people to play at this time. The Sad part is Every Store in My district has about 200 to 300 Xbox ones on the shelf or in the back stock. Xbox can sell those and make up the difference. PS4 cannot.

Another funny thing to point out is that Every Sunday about 40 people line up outside before we open with the hopes of grabbing a PS4. Usually maybe one or two uninformed customers wait for the XBONE. We always have to turn away all PS4 customers. Sad :(

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#81  Edited By Sergio

@darji: I don't remember who it was but the best tweet about this that I saw yesterday went something like this: "Microsoft wants your money, Sony wants your business."

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Darji

@sergio said:

@darji: I don't remember who it was but the best tweet about this that I saw yesterday went something like this: "Microsoft wants your money, Sony wants your business."

It maybe because of my language barrier but I do not know what this means. Sony is buying out everything they want or what do they mean with business?

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By generic_username

@darji said:

@sergio said:

It maybe because of my language barrier but I do not know what this means. Sony is buying out everything they want or what do they mean with business?

It's likely the language barrier, as it's a really subtle distinction, and it's actually difficult for me to explain. The words have two very different connotations, to say the least.

Oh, and if this is where the misunderstanding comes in, "business" does not only refer to a storefront or company, it also refers to the general idea of commerce happening.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Sad thing is I work for Best Buy part time and Pretty much can assure you that the XBONE will catch up with PS4 sales only because it is the only available machine at the moment. The PS4 is going to be constrained until at least April which is cool... since there are really no games for people to play at this time. The Sad part is Every Store in My district has about 200 to 300 Xbox ones on the shelf or in the back stock. Xbox can sell those and make up the difference. PS4 cannot.

Another funny thing to point out is that Every Sunday about 40 people line up outside before we open with the hopes of grabbing a PS4. Usually maybe one or two uninformed customers wait for the XBONE. We always have to turn away all PS4 customers. Sad :(

1. This is anecdotal. Even then, it sounds like there's more demand for the PS4 in your story.

2. This ignores other markets. Sony didn't just stop producing PS4s, they're spreading them out to various markets. What this means is that Microsoft isn't going to catch up simply because your store's district doesn't have as many PS4s. They could catch up by selling more with all markets in mind. I don't think they can in the near term, but maybe down the road. It may be a while though, since it looks like Sony is in the lead in most territories before launching in their home territory.

Others like to point out that the PS4 is in more markets, but if they were in fewer, those consoles would most likely have sold out in the territories that the Xbox One is in.

One thing that may impact sales is that China may allow sales of these consoles.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I bought 4.1 million, it's good to see some other people bought them too.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aah fanboyism. It is the only mode of thinking where good news is bad news.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CONTHOLE WARTH!

Irishdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Well, all I can really say is that I see Xbox Ones available all over the place. I was in Best Buy last night and they had a pile of them sitting in the middle of the aisle. But not a PS4 to be found, not one. That's the way it's been all holiday, I've never seen a PS4 on the shelf.

I realize this may mean nothing at all, but who knows.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.