Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Opinions on new PS4 Controller?

• 77 results
    vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Any and all opinions on the PS4 controller.

The new share button: Personally i wouldn't have minded if it was a tab in the playstation menu, instead of a dedicated button,

it's weird, i don't quite know how to feel about it.

Price: maybe it's me but the whole controller seems like it's packed with features, what when it breaks?

how much would it cost to get a new one? and would you be able to get one with less features aka a stripped down version that cost less.

as i do not assume that all PS4 games will utilize the touch screen.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I think that on the symmetrical right side of the share button is one that says 'option'. That'll probably bring you back to the full dashboard 'cause that "ram" is pretty complex and will have the game still running in the background. I might be seeing things though...

(I have no idea when to use "" and '' I just guess)

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't really have a problem with it. It may feel like Sony threw everything and the kitchen sink into it but if it does not get in the way of the core functions i don't mind it. It looks like they improved the one thing i cared about which was the R2 L2 triggers.

The share button seems cool if you use it and if you are going to use it, it should be easy as possible to do. Otherwise people won't use the feature and having it in the menu or xmb maybe one step to many for some. The only worry for me is how start and select function will be delegated.

Other then that it seems the controller is making all the right moves. If it does just about everything i don't have to waste money buying add on or whatever accessory for it. Controllers are also already pricey and i don't think it will cost as much as a wii u controller or anything so i'm not really worried.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Marcsman

One share button to rule them all.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm comfortable with the DualShock format of controller so I'm pretty much happy with what I've seen of the new one.

My only disappointment is that it'll probably be an entire year before it makes it to the EU/UK and into my sweaty paws.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will be extremely excited if it's PC compatible, and you can use that touch pad to control the mouse pointer. Other than that though, it seems like more DualShock, which is fine in my book- the DS3 is my favorite controller at the moment.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like they fixed the triggers which is fantastic, but I still don't like the lay out of the sticks. Also they hopefully tightened up the sticks as the Dualshock 3 sticks always seemed extremely loose and not very accurate.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

as long as the triggers feel better they can do what they want with all kind of crazy buttons.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

I like the Dualshock design, but the 360 controller's left thumbstick position is much better. I would have liked to see Sony copy that. Also, I'd have to see how useful the Move/Sixaxis functionality will be. Sixaxis was used in, what, half a dozen games?

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Regardless of how comfortable or how positive the changes are, I'm sad to see the design change. That specific design has been held by me and a lot of other people for the past 15 (coming up on 16) years but I guess progress has to be made at some point. They seem to have addressed at least a few of the complaints that naysayers had with the dualshock family.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the exact same piece of shit controller they've been making for years with a couple new buttons. I hope they fix the triggers, those were awful on the PS3. But that won't change the fundamental flaw that the damn thing was designed for Japanese schoolchildren or people with incredibly small hands. It also doesn't change the incredibly inefficient and offensively unergonomic placement of the sticks. Seriously, why is the d-pad in the best seat in the house? It's not the PS1 era anymore, it's not the dominant input, why keep it up there?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By ProfessorEss

My biggest issues with the current controller is those awful triggers and the bulbous analog sticks. Both look much better on this new controller but I'd need some hands-on experience before I can judge anything.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By Justin258

I like the revolutionary new placement of all the buttons.

It looks both a little heavier and the L2/R2 buttons look at least a little less rounded and marshmallow-y, though I'll have to hold it myself to know for sure. I really like the new analog sticks. I hope that touch is used for (in order of importance) pause, map button, and quicksave. I most especially like the idea that you can suspend literally any game at any moment, so we don't have this Dark Souls bullshit of not being able to pause. And, finally, I think those holes on the front are for speakers and I pray that they are never used so I can make sure it stays turned completely off, just like I did the Wii mote speaker.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq said:

It's the exact same piece of shit controller they've been making for years with a couple new buttons. I hope they fix the triggers, those were awful on the PS3. But that won't change the fundamental flaw that the damn thing was designed for Japanese schoolchildren or people with incredibly small hands. It also doesn't change the incredibly inefficient and offensively unergonomic placement of the sticks. Seriously, why is the d-pad in the best seat in the house? It's not the PS1 era anymore, it's not the dominant input, why keep it up there?

I'd be genuinely interested to hear what any left-handed people think of that theory of the "dominant positioning" of the 360 sticks.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two things I've not seen mentioned is the cost of replacement controllers and how many controllers will ship with the launch console?

Will this be a WiiU situation where is it prohibitively expensive to include two? I only got one controller when I bought my PS3. This changed later in the cycle but I assume any base model will ship with one controller and maybe some type of wired headset to plug in.

If people want another they will have to pony up $60 (?) for another. The DS3 is normally $55 so they will at least match that if not go higher.

how much would it cost to get a new one? and would you be able to get one with less features aka a stripped down version that cost less.
    GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I like it.

I like the new analog sticks and that the texture on the backside of the controller is different, looks slick. I've gotta pull those triggers to know they fixed them. No disrespect to the DS but maaaan do I loathe the DS3 triggers for anything other than a gas pedal.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moleyuk: Bah! Left handed people are too busy being Satan's agents in this world to be playing video games.

But not to be misunderstood, I really quite like Playstation in general and I really look forward to the PS4, it just upsets me that they've stuck to the same design for this long without even trying anything new. Microsoft had like three controller revisions before settling into their current design. Sony tried once. They just slapped sticks onto their original PS1 controller design, which was totally fine at the time since it was novel, but it baffles me that in the 15 years since introducing the dualshock they haven't even tried to improve it. Not once. Except the PS3 taco which was just a strangely shaped version of their normal controller. It never felt right to me and by now there are kids who are born before this thing came out so it's not like they'll ever change it. It's too iconic, so they're stuck with the same design.

Yeah it's tempting to say the symmetrical controller is nice for lefties, but that's a massive compromise to make for my comfort, I'd rather just have them sell a separate lefty oriented controller. They're used to it anyway. Games aren't friendly to them in general. I feel like I rarely see southpaw options anymore.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems alright to me. I can't say for sure til I can get my hands on it, but it looks like it addresses some issues people have had with ps3 controllers. Not sure how I feel about the touch pad and sensor light thing, but they might be a cool addition to some games.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Nadafinga

The fact is there are plenty, and I mean millions of people, who actually, truly, like the current layout of the dualshock and don't want them to go rearranging the sticks. I happen to be one of those people. I've been using that controller forever, and I'm totally used to it.

I also happen to be one of those people who can use PlayStation and Xbox controllers interchangeably and don't really notice much of a difference.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By pr1mus

I think it looks rad.

I always preferred the layout of the dualshock 3 controller over that of the 360. I like the softer feel of the buttons and bumpers/triggers on the dualshock 3 and hope they keep that. The shape of the R2 and L2 is an improvement.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikkaq: As someone with fairly big hands I have always been alot more annoyed with the 360 controller, mostly because of that damn battery placement which dosnt offer much room for your fingers. Hopefully MS will change that next gen, and make it as comfortable as their wired controller. Also if your argument for wanting the right stick and d-pad switched is that you use the stick more, shouldnt the right stick and face buttons also be switched?

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i like that it requires 2 cameras in your living room and that the console cant be turned off and that its always online. i like the idea that everything happening in my house could be listened to and viewed at any moment, and that everything i do could be stored in a database such as stellar wind (google it). thats my favorite thing about the new console ! :)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Does Options work the same as a regular old Start button? I'm not accustomed to a button at that position on the controller, maybe it will work fine or maybe it won't. It's hard to say at this point. If those buttons can be used comfortably, the controller seems fine.

But without both a Start and Select button, emulation of older games is out of the question, isn't it?

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think those holes on the front are for speakers and I pray that they are never used so I can make sure it stays turned completely off, just like I did the Wii mote speaker.

i never like the idea of speakers on the controller either, what if i use headphone? or if i'm talking to someone on mic or if i'm trying not to be too loud, i feel like it's a luxury that is frankly not needed, atleast not on the controller.

@kpaadet said:

@mikkaq: As someone with fairly big hands I have always been alot more annoyed with the 360 controller, mostly because of that damn battery placement which dosnt offer much room for your fingers.

i have big hands aswell and long fingers, so i place my fingers downwards on the back of the 360 controller, i do wish they make the battery smaller and that it's replaceable, it sucks when you realize that you controller doesn't work and it's the battery, when it can't be replaced. I've always had the problem that the DS3 was always quite small for my big hands, making it uncomfortable to use it when playing shooters, that might just be me tho as i have quite big hands.

@tarsier said:

i like that it requires 2 cameras in your living room and that the console cant be turned off and that its always online.

i think that's an option, i believe that there will be an option to turn it off, cause sometimes there can go weeks inbetween plays and then it doesn't need to be on at all.

i think the cameras was to track your controller when using the move light, so that might be an option aswell.

i hope we'll see more in the next couple of months coming and thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions :D

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the look of it and it seems like they made a lot of common sense changes (new analog sticks and triggers). It's a shame they didn't move the left analog stick, but I'm unsurprised by that decision.

I don't really get what people are all up in arms about regarding the Share button. I'm no fan of social networking BS but it makes sense to have those features as accessible as possible, especially given Sony's less-than-stellar track record with social features.

I'm mostly curious about ergonomics at this point. I've noticed my hands cramp during a few sessions of extended use with the DS3, whereas I've never experienced discomfort with the 360 (aside from some particularly intense Super Meat Boy sessions).

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks good to me. I like the texture they added to the bottoms of the hand grips. If triggers feel better, as they are claiming they do, controller is everything I want from a controller. So kudos to them.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

That Share-button seems kind of silly, but I do like how the other button just says "Options" in stead of start, back, etc. The overall ergonomics including the triggers, handles and sticks seem to answer all the problems that people had with the last controller. Overall the pad looks pretty nice, but of course I still need to try it out.

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#29  Edited By ShadowMoses900

I'm intrigued by it. Looks comfortable but yet very innovative, like "old and new" in one. The layout looks the same as the Dual Shock, just slight differences which I'm happy about because I didn't want them to change it too much. Also like the share button as well, should make for some very interesting moments.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It gets me all hot. Seriously, look at that body.

No Caption Provided

Is it me or is it getting hot in here? Woo! Let me just take these pants off.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I think it looks pretty fucking cool, as someone who liked the Dualshock 3 but recognized it faults, I think this makes up for it, looks cool to me so can't wait to get my hands on it at some point this year

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain: @phantomzxro: @grantheaslip: The new "Options" button is replacing both the Start & Select buttons. (Thumbs up)

@believer258: The touchpad is going to be used for some gameplay stuff or so I read. The "Options" button is the Start & Select button in one. Also, if you watch Jimmy Fallon talk to Hermen Hulst about the new controller & Killzone, Hermen says the touchpad could be used to go through menus & the speaker can be used to hear radio messages in Killzone.

@djou: Don't all consoles ship with 1 controller? I mean, some BUNDLES usually include 2 controllerw. a regular one and then a shoddy, shitty one. But I'm 100% sure it'll ship with one. I KNOW putting 2 would make them lose money. (I'm from le future!)

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's cool.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

It actually looks sleeker then it looked in the leaked photo, but hopefully the R2/L2 buttons feel better then they did on the PS3.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that its heftier, those handlebars are funny, and the back texture I like!

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By monetarydread

I am concerned about the position of the share and option buttons. I have a bad issue with my thumb sliding off the stick / face buttons and mistakenly pressing the start button. The position of the share and option buttons seems to me like it would be even easier to accidentally press.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kpaadet said:

@mikkaq: As someone with fairly big hands I have always been alot more annoyed with the 360 controller, mostly because of that damn battery placement which dosnt offer much room for your fingers. Hopefully MS will change that next gen, and make it as comfortable as their wired controller. Also if your argument for wanting the right stick and d-pad switched is that you use the stick more, shouldnt the right stick and face buttons also be switched?

You're right there, the battery placement does suck. I just use the wired one myself, but the problem is they don't make those with the transforming d-pad I love so much.

Also I be pretty happy if they switched the right stick upward. I don't play a lot of shooters on consoles but it is annoying to have my right thumb down constantly for aiming. For that reason I really want to get my hands on that Wii U classic controller that does just that to see if I'd really like it. But as it stands I probably use the face buttons more than the right stick since I tend to keep my shooters on the PC anyway, and I only need to make slight camera adjustments in other kinds of games.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't devise a proper opinion until I actually hold and use the thing, but so far I like what I've seen. It looks like Sony has tried to fix any issues the Dualshock 3 had while adding some intriguing new features as well.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

as i do not assume that all PS4 games will utilize the touch screen.

I'm guessing one of the more common uses is as a keyboard instead of having an on-screen keyboard.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this prototype that was leaked more. The way the flat, reflective surface is continuous from the D-Pad, across the touchpad, and to the button layout has a real clean look to it. The unveiled DS4 has too many seams.

No Caption Provided

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tarsier said:

i like that it requires 2 cameras in your living room and that the console cant be turned off and that its always online. i like the idea that everything happening in my house could be listened to and viewed at any moment, and that everything i do could be stored in a database such as stellar wind (google it). thats my favorite thing about the new console ! :)

If it’s transmitting audio and/or video all the time, we’d figure it out basically immediately because someone would catch it sending a bunch of data to a weird server. Sony and/or the US government would be crazy to try that even if it wasn’t totally illegal.

There’s also no indication that the camera is required, let-alone included with the system.

Basically, unless that was all satire, you’re paranoid and don’t understand how technology works.

okay. it sounds like you definitely know your stuff. i trust you, and i trust that the playstation 4 will not record anything i dont want it to or store it on an insecure database. because sony, and the US government has a clear record as far as those things are concerned . also, why would they care what I am doing? im not doing anything wrong. who gives a dang about privacy anyways.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Tennmuerti
    • better (concave rather then convex) triggers, thank fucking god
    • form factor moving closer to the 360 controller, again super pleased

While I have never owned a 360, and only a PS3, good god do i fucking hate the playstation controllers compared to the 360 gamepads. This actually makes me more interested in buying the PS4 when the time comes this year even tho i have a beefy gaming PC. Because it was one of the sticking points for me with the last system.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Coafi
    No Caption Provided

Excuse my 2 second photoshop, but I really wish the controller adopted this layout, other than that I have no problems with it. I just can't play FPS with the current layout.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Funkydupe

I wish it was new and innovative instead of iterative, but I guess its too much of a risk to take and ask of a big company. I'm not blaming anyone; i'm just saying that it'd be refreshing with a new design on both the controller and the actual hardware casing, but maybe the latter will surprise us still.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it as far as ergonomics and looks go, but I'm a bit concerned over the lack of Start and Select buttons. How many games make heavy use of both of those buttons for basic functionality, like bringing up the map quickly? Tons, if not most. So just having one button for that is slightly worrisome if that means having to dig into a menu, then go down and select map, for instance, every time you want to see it. Sure, they could solve that issue with the touchpad, but then you're just adding new tech to substitute existing functionality you took away. And just how sensitive is that thing anyway, and how many individual 'buttons' can be mapped to it? If it's a solid four quadrant kind of thing that works well and is easy to hit with the thumbs, great, but if it doesn't just work predictably every time, that could be a significant annoyance.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it as far as ergonomics and looks go, but I'm a bit concerned over the lack of Start and Select buttons. How many games make heavy use of both of those buttons for basic functionality, like bringing up the map quickly? Tons, if not most. So just having one button for that is slightly worrisome if that means having to dig into a menu, then go down and select map, for instance, every time you want to see it. Sure, they could solve that issue with the touchpad, but then you're just adding new tech to substitute existing functionality you took away. And just how sensitive is that thing anyway, and how many individual 'buttons' can be mapped to it? If it's a solid four quadrant kind of thing that works well and is easy to hit with the thumbs, great, but if it doesn't just work predictably every time, that could be a significant annoyance.

I can imagine the touchpad being used via gesture swipes rather than touch buttons. Gestures would eliminate the issue of having to imagine the button boundaries of a touchpad. It could even add a level of immersion given the right context. Think of a Far Cry type of shooter:

1. Swiping up would bring up the map
    2. Swiping left would have the character bring his watch into view
    3. Swiping right would bring the gun into view for inspection
    4. Swiping down would exit out of the prior actions.
    vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Andorski

for a game like skyrim, all those swiping moves could easily subsitute the select and start button, oh and the option button seems like a good idea, it just forces games to think alittle out of the box when talking about menus.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.