Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 Has Important Day One Firmware Update

• 162 results
    VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

300MB doesn't sound too much even with less decent download speeds--we've been waiting that long for the next-gen platforms to be released...

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm pretty sure all the negative comments re the Xbox One weren't about Day One patches, they were about an always-online DRM policy, which they ended up changing (for the good). Day One patches are pretty much a given in this climate of video game consoles, so I don't see any reason to care. I guess if your Internet connection is shitty I can see being a little annoyed at having to go find somewhere you can download the patch to a USB drive from, but 'eh'.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#153  Edited By PJ

@cadallin said:

LOL@ the butthurt microsoft fanboys trying to say we should be angry about this.

An OS update? Over the internet? Sure guys, totally shocking.

Also TOTALLY the same as Microsoft trying to dictate that they should have a live, always on internet connected webcam feed in your living room.

Try harder, you're not going to get very far by claiming we should be upset for Sony giving us product support.

I'm sorry? Do you seriously belive that MS would actually record you with the Kinect when you play? Are you seriously that fucking paranoid? Belive me, MS is not fucking interrested in what your fat ass is doing. And you have full controll of what the Kinect will or will not see, you can use it as a voice only device if you want. And that was all before they said it wont be required. And where do you get that the Kinect is always on? You can turn the console(and in proxy the kinect) off.

And most are not upset att the day one patch in it self. It's just that Sony's trackrecord with something on this scale and internet related points to them fucking it up, just like Nintendo.
    Also, it's pretty fucking strange that you have to update it if you want to use the DVD/Blu-ray capabilities when the PS3 had it from day one without an update.

Given their experience, MS are the ones that are least likely to fuck up the day ona patch thing(though still not a 100%).

I guess I'll se if you get to use it on day one or if I have to update it for half a day when I get it in a few weeks. I have friends that need crushing in FIFA 14 and that can't wait.

Man, it's really soon isn't it? Only good thing about MS delaying the Xbox One here in Sweden till next year is that I don't need to live on noodles for a month since some fucking idiot thought it was a good idea to release them both at the same fucking time.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

Really? Blu-Ray and DVD functionality?
    They seriously couldn't put that in the original firmware?

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    Evercaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't Sony have a disquieting tendency to brick consoles during updates? Keep hold of your receipt, I guess.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well since most of the features all involve online functionality a firmware update is no big deal. It just gives Sony more time to fully bake these features since both of these consoles are coming in so hot they are on fire.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@cadallin said:

LOL@ the butthurt microsoft fanboys trying to say we should be angry about this.

An OS update? Over the internet? Sure guys, totally shocking.

Also TOTALLY the same as Microsoft trying to dictate that they should have a live, always on internet connected webcam feed in your living room.

Try harder, you're not going to get very far by claiming we should be upset for Sony giving us product support.

Who have you seen that says you should be angry about this? As far as I can see, everyone here understands the need for a day one update. Some people are just surprised that some of these features need to be updated, but no one is saying this is bad.

Also, paranoia aside, fact is the Kinect isn't always on and can be turned off for any game where it isn't a core feature. Besides that, I'm kind of laughing at people who think Microsoft... heck... any person on this planet would want to see them sitting in the living room. I was surprised to learn that a lot of people apparently are scared that they might get caught naked or even masturbating on the Kinect and Microsoft would somehow use that footage for... hell, I don't know. It's pure paranoia. The alternative is that you're so in love with yourself that you actually believe some random person wants to see you jack off.

pattonrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoever does PR for Sony should advertise this launch as their greatest achievement. It's genius, really. Rather than up-front trying to spin the flaws of the launch as positive features, like Microsoft did, they've simply slowly announced the downsides over the course of the lead-up to the launch.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wow, if this was the Xbox One we were talking about people would tear it to shreds for this.

THRICE_604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulunga said:

Wow, if this was the Xbox One we were talking about people would tear it to shreds for this.

Xbox One has a day one firmware update as well. I seem to recall the internet celebrating those changes.

clarkj1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zohar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Zohar

300Mb. Just enough time to crack open a mountain dew, grab a bag of doritos, and order a stuffed crust while it's downloading.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gw305 said:

300MB's ain't that bad hopefully it won't take 10x as long as it should take...

Well considering that everyone might be downloading that at once.. it might take longer than it should.

geoDgreat1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By geoDgreat1
    Bombzinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But who wouldn’t be connected to the Internet, anyway?

I know! In fact, I think they could have probably made constant Internet connection a requirement and nobody would even notice!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

But who wouldn’t be connected to the Internet, anyway?

I know! In fact, I think they could have probably made constant Internet connection a requirement and nobody would even notice!

Sometimes hypocrisy is too hilarious to be maddening.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.